DIII who got the best tourny draw?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: DIII who got the best tourny draw?

Post by Ironman92 »

like you don't know the answer

I'll go with the 1996-97 North Adams team....

North Adams was oh so close last year and were even closer one of the years before as the had the ball with a chance to win late and had ball stolen for a layup at the buzzer to beat them.

Oh no..I remember....your favorite Eastern Brown team of 2002 advanced along with SHL D4 Whiteoak to the final 4. That same Eastern Brown team that got pictures and autographs with the player in the game before them....some guy named LeBron.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

It was the 1995-96 North Adams team, the featured subject of the upcoming documentary "We Know."

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Apparently, Oak Hill is still 15-1, and technically not undefeated, at least not yet. The loss to Huntington St. Joe was initially ruled a forfeit by the WVSSAC, but that ruling has been appealed by Huntington St. Joe. According to the Huntington Herald-Dispatch, the official records do not change until all appeals have been exhausted. The info below was in the Herald-Dispatch on Monday:

"NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND: It turns out that an announcement by Huntington St. Joe officials concerning the forfeiture of four boys basketball games might have been premature.

Last week, Huntington St. Joe athletic director Shannon Lewis had said that the school had lost an appeal and that letters had been sent to four schools -- Cross Lanes Christian, Oak Hill (Ohio), East Fairmont and Buffalo -- alerting them that the Irish had to forfeit wins in the first four games of the season.

However, both Huntington St. Joe head coach Marshall Reynolds and assistant coach David Reynolds confirmed to the newspaper that they plan to file appeals in Parkersburg this week -- likely Tuesday.

David Reynolds added that until the appeals process is complete, the Irish have not been stripped of the four games in question, meaning that Huntington St. Joe's current record is 13-3."

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

While it is rare to see the seedings not closely tack the teams' records, the seeding meeting is supposedly held to allow folks to exercise some discretion based upon strength of schedule, etc. It would be easy to simply rank teams on the basis of the records, but that is not the current system, at least it shouldn't be. Clearly, the coaches exercised discretion in ranking Portsmouth over Coal Grove and South Point (who had already beaten Portsmouth earlier in the year) based upon strength of schedule in this year's seedings. I would have liked to have seen some more of that discretion exercised at the top of the seedings to make Ironton #1, but will not pout about it. As a famous coach has always put it about the guys from Ironton, "We'll show up."

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

when was the last time a d3 shl school got to the regional finals?

What do you mean? Every year in D3 a D3 school gets to the regional finals???? Very confusing. If you mean from southern Ohio, wouldn't the answer to that be Burg, two years in a row? 07 and 08??

Also, it should be noted that Oak Hill is not the defending state champs for D3. Maybe D4, but not D3. Big difference.

Still, we should wish all teams from southeast Ohio good luck and hope that ANY one of them can get to the state. It is a very difficult thing to do.... takes skill, coaching, and LUCK.

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

I think he means a Southern Hills League team,,,hence the shl
Last edited by Sports 101 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Jumpshot wrote:when was the last time a d3 shl school got to the regional finals?

What do you mean? Every year in D3 a D3 school gets to the regional finals???? Very confusing. If you mean from southern Ohio, wouldn't the answer to that be Burg, two years in a row? 07 and 08??

Also, it should be noted that Oak Hill is not the defending state champs for D3. Maybe D4, but not D3. Big difference.

Still, we should wish all teams from southeast Ohio good luck and hope that ANY one of them can get to the state. It is a very difficult thing to do.... takes skill, coaching, and LUCK.

I think he meant "When was the last time a Division Three High School Boys Basketball Team that is a part of the Southern Hills League made it to the regional tournament?"

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It was Eastern Brown JC....not North Adams.

Was North Adams D3 or D4 in 1995-96? I really don't know.

But Eastern Brown was the last D3 SHL school to make the regional finals....2002

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

i guess i should have worded it differently, the last shl team with all ohio and united states citizens. without the two australians they would not have gotten near that far.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Ironman92 wrote:It was Eastern Brown JC....not North Adams.

Was North Adams D3 or D4 in 1995-96? I really don't know.

But Eastern Brown was the last D3 SHL school to make the regional finals....2002

NA was D3 that year.

Return to “Boys Basketball”