Belpre's new basketball coach is....

Gregg811
Varsity

Re: Belpre's new basketball coach is....

Post by Gregg811 »

Good luck to Jordan and the Eagles.

LETS GO EAGLES!!!!

ccrunner
Riding the Bench

Post by ccrunner »

justlookin wrote:3 out of the last 4 basketball coaches at Belpre were not teachers. If somebody wants to coach at Belpre they have to want to really coach. Teachers at the high school aren't interested in coaching. The facilities are not the best and nothing seems to be in the works to change that for a while. It doesn't matter what you coach or where you coach there will always be parents coaching from the bleachers. Thornhill loves Belpre basketball and without a doubt he will work hard to make this opportunity work. What is really missing for Belpre ahtletics is excitement, this year it just might return.

P.S. Obviously some people have never watched OVU basketball.

LET'S GO EAGLES!!!!!
Yes I have seen OVU basketball and baseball. Care to tell me the last time their mens team had a winning season? How about a winning season for any of their mens teams regardless of the sport? I think the girls team actually won as many as they lost last year. I stand by my views until proof can be shown otherwise.

Best of luck to Jordan this year. He loves basketball and will give it his all. Hopefully he can keep that certain parent happy.

pressboxchamp
Riding the Bench

Post by pressboxchamp »

Jordan is the best fit for Belpre. He's tough on his players and it seems like that's what this program needs. He also is young enough that he still can feel like a friend which is always a nice thing to have. But with the lack of talent especially with the rumors I've heard of Drew Nestor not planning to play this year we'll make a hard job even harder for JT. Best of luck to him and the Belpre team though.

thebearupthere34
Freshman Team

Post by thebearupthere34 »

Anybody who has watched Ohio Valley University with any type of knowledge should note that OVU is a constant in NCAA Division 2 Men's goal with several Regional appearances and including a national championship appearance 2 years ago. It should also be noted that in 2008 OVU men's soccer finished 9-8-4 and clinched their first ever postseason conference appearance. Has OVU soccer always been a good program ? No but check the archives on these guys from 2000 to the present and they have become increasingly competitive since they entered the NCAA Division 2 in the WVIAC conference. It has been 10 years since OVU has joined NCAA Division 2. Do you even know what Division OVU was before then ? I highly doubt it considering they were in the National Collegiate Christian Athletic Association ...Division 2 lol. OVU was founded in 1958 thus making them a "little behind the curve" compared to established WVIAC Universities. From 2000 to 2010 OVU has increasingly gotten more competitive in each Men's sport with the Men's Baseball team winning a Conference title in with OVU winning a University best 37 wins. OVU Men's basketball has significantly improved as well long are the years in which you can count on OVU getting beat by 40 to 60 points a game and now you can attend an OVU Basketball game and reap the benefits of decent College Basketball between both athletic teams. The proof is right before your eyes just go to www.wviac.org and read the archives they have improved from a standard they are more competitive. Not to shabby for a school who is a Christian based institution who held their first classes in 1960 just 50 years ago. Especially not bad for an athletic program that joined what is one of the most difficult conferences in the nation at the Division 2 level. OVU athletics is more community based with OVU recruiting more in the Mid-Ohio Valley than before. Eventually the close one run losses, 5-10 point losses in basketball and 1 goal losses will turn into flourishing victories maybe in another 10 years but who knows.

As for Coach Thornhill I do not know him personally but good luck to you.

Fighting_Scots1
Freshman Team

Post by Fighting_Scots1 »

thebearupthere34 wrote:Anybody who has watched Ohio Valley University with any type of knowledge should note that OVU is a constant in NCAA Division 2 Men's goal with several Regional appearances and including a national championship appearance 2 years ago. It should also be noted that in 2008 OVU men's soccer finished 9-8-4 and clinched their first ever postseason conference appearance. Has OVU soccer always been a good program ? No but check the archives on these guys from 2000 to the present and they have become increasingly competitive since they entered the NCAA Division 2 in the WVIAC conference. It has been 10 years since OVU has joined NCAA Division 2. Do you even know what Division OVU was before then ? I highly doubt it considering they were in the National Collegiate Christian Athletic Association ...Division 2 lol. OVU was founded in 1958 thus making them a "little behind the curve" compared to established WVIAC Universities. From 2000 to 2010 OVU has increasingly gotten more competitive in each Men's sport with the Men's Baseball team winning a Conference title in with OVU winning a University best 37 wins. OVU Men's basketball has significantly improved as well long are the years in which you can count on OVU getting beat by 40 to 60 points a game and now you can attend an OVU Basketball game and reap the benefits of decent College Basketball between both athletic teams. The proof is right before your eyes just go to http://www.wviac.org and read the archives they have improved from a standard they are more competitive. Not to shabby for a school who is a Christian based institution who held their first classes in 1960 just 50 years ago. Especially not bad for an athletic program that joined what is one of the most difficult conferences in the nation at the Division 2 level. OVU athletics is more community based with OVU recruiting more in the Mid-Ohio Valley than before. Eventually the close one run losses, 5-10 point losses in basketball and 1 goal losses will turn into flourishing victories maybe in another 10 years but who knows.
As a coach at Ohio Valley University, I certainly do appreciate this insightful post. Are we where we would like to be right now in terms of wins and losses? NO. Are we boasting 100+ years of athletic programs with the best of facilities? NO.

We are becoming increasingly competitive with each and every recruiting class in one of the toughest and most balanced NCAA Division II conferences in the country. Progress is being made each and every day from what I can see, and that is all that you can ask for.

We are fortunate to be bringing many local faces in with this class [of 2011], and it is our hope that these local student-athletes will help us to put OVU on the map in the Mid Ohio Valley and beyond.

Truth be it known, I have never been surrounded by so many great people than I feel I have been here. OVU is a great institution of higher learning that is growing every day in terms of academics [Tier I as rated by U.S. News and World Reports], athletics [WVIAC Championships in Men's Golf, Women's Golf, and Baseball], and the final products that we are yielding to the community, country, and world [doctors, lawyers, school teachers, missionaries, ministers, and so forth].

I, for one, am proud to be a Fighting Scot!

4thnpine
Freshman Team

Post by 4thnpine »

a little young in my opinion............ too young. just don't see this working out.

justlookin
Freshman Team

Post by justlookin »

Coaching is the ability to teach players and have them respond. I don't believe age has anything to do with that process. Thornhill is very mentally tough and with Engle on the bench with him that makes them a pretty strong duo. I was driving through town the other day and saw a player running, I stopped and ask if he was training for track he said nope, getting ready for basketball, haven't seen that to much the last few years. Will there be coaching mistakes?? Probably, but nobody will work harder and expect more than Thornhill.

knowledge
All Conference

Post by knowledge »

4thnpine wrote:a little young in my opinion............ too young. just don't see this working out.

Young coaches are the wave of the future, he will do just fine. Ex. Brad Stevens

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Fighting_Scots1 wrote:
thebearupthere34 wrote:Anybody who has watched Ohio Valley University with any type of knowledge should note that OVU is a constant in NCAA Division 2 Men's goal with several Regional appearances and including a national championship appearance 2 years ago. It should also be noted that in 2008 OVU men's soccer finished 9-8-4 and clinched their first ever postseason conference appearance. Has OVU soccer always been a good program ? No but check the archives on these guys from 2000 to the present and they have become increasingly competitive since they entered the NCAA Division 2 in the WVIAC conference. It has been 10 years since OVU has joined NCAA Division 2. Do you even know what Division OVU was before then ? I highly doubt it considering they were in the National Collegiate Christian Athletic Association ...Division 2 lol. OVU was founded in 1958 thus making them a "little behind the curve" compared to established WVIAC Universities. From 2000 to 2010 OVU has increasingly gotten more competitive in each Men's sport with the Men's Baseball team winning a Conference title in with OVU winning a University best 37 wins. OVU Men's basketball has significantly improved as well long are the years in which you can count on OVU getting beat by 40 to 60 points a game and now you can attend an OVU Basketball game and reap the benefits of decent College Basketball between both athletic teams. The proof is right before your eyes just go to http://www.wviac.org and read the archives they have improved from a standard they are more competitive. Not to shabby for a school who is a Christian based institution who held their first classes in 1960 just 50 years ago. Especially not bad for an athletic program that joined what is one of the most difficult conferences in the nation at the Division 2 level. OVU athletics is more community based with OVU recruiting more in the Mid-Ohio Valley than before. Eventually the close one run losses, 5-10 point losses in basketball and 1 goal losses will turn into flourishing victories maybe in another 10 years but who knows.
As a coach at Ohio Valley University, I certainly do appreciate this insightful post. Are we where we would like to be right now in terms of wins and losses? NO. Are we boasting 100+ years of athletic programs with the best of facilities? NO.

We are becoming increasingly competitive with each and every recruiting class in one of the toughest and most balanced NCAA Division II conferences in the country. Progress is being made each and every day from what I can see, and that is all that you can ask for.

We are fortunate to be bringing many local faces in with this class [of 2011], and it is our hope that these local student-athletes will help us to put OVU on the map in the Mid Ohio Valley and beyond.

Truth be it known, I have never been surrounded by so many great people than I feel I have been here. OVU is a great institution of higher learning that is growing every day in terms of academics [Tier I as rated by U.S. News and World Reports], athletics [WVIAC Championships in Men's Golf, Women's Golf, and Baseball], and the final products that we are yielding to the community, country, and world [doctors, lawyers, school teachers, missionaries, ministers, and so forth].

I, for one, am proud to be a Fighting Scot!
Did I miss something? Did a post get deleted? What in the HELL does your allegiance to your alma mater and self adulation have to do with Belpre's Boys basketball program and Jordan Thornhill? From what I can see, the only comment that I have to you and to the "bear up there" is shame on you. Shame on you for taking a thread about a new high school basketball coach and using it as the platform for your own agenda, because of one off the cuff remark that you find offensive. Please....Holy crap. Way to derail a thread and minimize the subject at hand, the Belpre Boys basketball program, and their new coach. Geesh.

thebearupthere34
Freshman Team

Post by thebearupthere34 »

Steely, CCRunner and Justlookn had made some comments about OVU all I happened to do was explain the history of OVU and kind of "sort it out" I am not surprised you took it "off the cuff" that's how it is usually taken by you. Good luck to Belpre and the kids

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

At the age of 25 he will be out coached most of the time. also seems to have a temper hopefully he can stay in a game without being tossed.

expert witness
Freshman Team

Post by expert witness »

greatone, first of all he is closer to 23 and inexperirnce will certainly play a factor but it isnt like he has to worry a lot about being outcoached in the TVC Hocking. The only time I see him being at a serious coaching disadvantage in conference is against Southern and Fed Hock.

Secondly, I dont know many great coaches who dont have a bit of a temper. If the people at belpre will leave him alone, he will do fine. They need a young coach who is willing to do all the hard work that it takes to build a long term program and thats exactly what they have.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Rant Erased.. :122249

One name. Brad Stevens, how often does this young coach get outcoached?

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

The only time Jordan will get outcoached is when Belpre plays Fort Frye,

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

eaglefan1 wrote:The only time Jordan will get outcoached is when Belpre plays Fort Frye,

How about letting him coach a game before making the bold predictions.

Return to “Boys Basketball”