IRONTON Tiger basketball

pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Re: IRONTON Tiger basketball

Post by pembrook burrows III »

I attended the Ironton-Gallipolis game last night, and I thought the Tigers played hard, unselfishly, and at times, well. This team lacks size, and rebounding will be an issue all year. Ironton lost the rebounding battle by 9 to a Blue Devil team that was not that long either.

Given the fact that the Tigers are really starting four guards, perhaps Coach Lafon will look at adjusting his more traditional offense to play four guys out on the perimeter with a high post screener for pick and rolls. Right now Ironton seems to be trying to play one or two guys in the low post, which is a tough chore for any 6-1 player, especially against some of the better, bigger teams the guys will be facing later in the season (Chesapeake and Fairland come to mind). Rather than clog the lane with bodies, the Tigers could spread the floor, open up the lane, stretch the defense, and create more driving opportunities for the many good ball handlers they have.

I also think one of Ironton's senior leaders, Joe Bowling, would be more comfortable back out on the perimeter, where he has played for three years (often as a point guard). I think Joe's points would double in a more open offensive set with four guys out. I really believe that is the future of basketball if you watch a lot of college and pro games. Very few teams have that dominant low post center to whom they force the ball into for consistent production.

One last point - Ironton did not make a single three point shot last evening (0-7). While they were able to get away with a win over Gallipolis, the Tigers' guard-oriented team will not be able to survive against bigger teams without a perimeter threat. They have at least three decent jump shooters in Kratzenberg, Cox, and Bowling, so they are still developing this part of their attack to be successful in the post-season. Spreading the floor will enhance the Tigers' ability to drive and kick it out for the open three - catch and shoot, baby!

This will be a fun team to watch over the course of the season. As Coach Lafon said in the paper, he thinks the guys get along and play hard and unselfishly. The bench will get longer at midseason with the addition of a couple of transfers, so that will be interesting to watch develop as well. Go, Tigers!

Return to “Boys Basketball”