Pike County Holiday Classic Fri/Sat Dec 27/28

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Re: Pike County Holiday Classic Fri/Sat Dec 27/28

Post by WIFAN-22 »

judge judy wrote:Everyone is down this year, not a good year for sports around the area. Western hung with eastern, and they will hang with Piketon, they would hang with Waverly too. That's now bad the classic is down this year.. No standout players IMO. Waverly needs more than Rinehart. If he was the "missing link" you can be happy with a 6 win season.
Wow I guess then that Western is the bench mark for just how bad teams are now! If Western would just play team ball they would beat anyone in this tourney. Look for a different Indians team tonight.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

judge judy,

There is no doubt in my mind the Tigers would have at least 4 wins and possibly 5 at this point with Rinehart. No one said he was a superstar or even the best player on the Tiger team. What "I" said was he is the missing link and I stand by that. Waverly has many of the other links (very good point guard, very good shooting guards who can light it up anytime, two forwards who get after it and while nearly oversized every night do a good job on the glass), but they were missing the Rinehart link. Rinehart brings much more than scoring to this squad. He brings leadership, confidence, and a calm not seen up to this point. The game shifted when he came in last night. Anyone paying attention saw that and those familiar with the Waverly program knows what Rinehart brings. He did a tremendous job last night in his first contact since early in the football season. Win or lose tonight this Tiger team will only get better as the season progresses and Rinehart works his way into basketball shape.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

After watching both games last night I came away impressed with all four teams. The players played extremely hard, had good attitudes and win or lose, they did it with class.

There was large crowd on hard and they saw two good games. The officiating was even very good. Knowing going in, all the teams hard a realistic chance of winning the tournament this year made for an exciting first night.

I'm predicting two close games again this evening.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Piketon 74
Western 62

TripleDouble
JV Team

Post by TripleDouble »

16-15 waverly at half. Both teams shooting poorly.

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Come on Eastern !

eagle country
Freshman Team

Post by eagle country »

Eastern gets beat 49-42 maybe if the eagles would drive to bucket more we would have better outcome they have 2 kids that can drive to bucket Thacker and Creech (but he dont get the opportunity) if u let these 2 drive things will be different and lay off some of the 3s

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

Good job Waverly. And nice job Eastern you are a D-4 team who won last year and took 2nd this year build off this and finish strong for the tourney. Good luck to Western and Piketon the rest of the year as well ! Eastern was the youngest team in the tourney I think so there's room for improvement boys keep working.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Congratulations to the Waverly Tigers, winners of the 2013 Waverly Holiday Classic!

CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Waverly 49
Eastern 42

Waverly lead 12-7 after one and 16-15 at halftime. Very rough first half from both teams.
Pierce Knisely lead the Tigers in the first half with 8 points while Justin Fultz and Josh Thacker lead Eastern with 4 each.
Waverly got up by 8 in the 3rd only to see Eastern come back and take a one point lead, 34-33 after three periods of play.
Waverly went up 8 again midway through the 4th when they lead 42-34 with 4:55 to play. Eastern again chipped away and cut it to 44-42 with 2:30 to play but that's as close as they would get. Knisley hit a bucket with 2:20 to play, Jake Henderson hit 2 FT's with .34 to play and Knisley hit 1 of 2 with .20 to play.

Pierce Knisley lead Waverly with 20 points (12 second half), Aaron Heibel with 10, Eric Rinehart 8, Jake Henderson 5, Amin Gilbert 4, Daniel Heffner 2.

Eastern was lead by Justin Fultz with 16 (12 in the 2nd half, 3 big treys in the 3rd), Josh Thacker with 9 (held scoreless in the 4th), Garrett Fitch 6, Ben Hessen 6, Trace Creech 5.

In some of the games the Tigers have lost this year they have not finished by getting rattled, losing their composure, etc. that was not the case this weekend.

CONSOLTATION GAME
Piketon 74
Western 62

Western lead 12-11 after one period of play and Piketon lead 31-26 at halftime.
Piketon was lead by Shawn Collier and Wyatt Brewster with 10 each in the first half.
Ethan Riggs lead the Indian in the first half with 10.
Piketon extended their lead in the 3rd and lead 51-33 at the end of three. Zack Jordan and Aaron Southworth both chipped in 7 points in the period.

Piketon was lead by Aaron Southworth with 18 points, Zack Jordan and Shawn Collier with 17 each, Wyatt Brewster 10, Chase Jones 4, Tristen Veach 3, Landon Barker and Riley Harris 2 each and Dylan Williams 1.
Western was lead by Dakota Garrett with 19, Ethan Riggs 17, Dylan Lee 11, Chase Fite 3, Nick Shanks, Bryce Brewster & Brandon Brewster with 2 each.

ALL TOURNAMENT TEAM
Wetsern - Ethan Riggs (17 points tonight, 18 last night)
Piketon - Wyatt Brewster (10 points tonight, 18 last night)
Eastern - Josh Thacker (9 points tonight, 22 last night)
Waverly - Aaron Heibel (10 points tonight, 19 last night)
MVP - Pierce Knisely (20 points tonight, 23 last night)

Waverly coaches considered naming Daniel Heffner to the All Tournament Team with his tremendous defense on Thacker.

Looking to next year:
Waverly loses the most to graduation with Heibel, Knisley, Rinehart, Gilbert and Heffner.
Eastern has everyone coming back.
Piketon loses Chase Jones, Shawn Collier and Jeremy Farmer
Western loses Chase Fite

socvwatcher#1
Freshman Team

Post by socvwatcher#1 »

The games were competitive. All the boys can hold their heads up, win or lose. You could see that all gave much effort.

I think some people underestimated Waverly. It may have something to do with the teams they played so far this year and the return of Rinehart. I can see them playing with more confidence going forward.

I also agree with eagle country. When you have a person who can dribble like Thacker, he must be double-teamed to control him. This should have opened up someone closer than a 3. However, I do think Heffner put enough pressure on Thacker to fatigue him late in the game.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Congrats to the Waverly Tigers!

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Good job Streaks....keep working hard!

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

All in all a pretty good classic this year..all games were competitive for the most part. Was hoping could Eagles could pull out the win Saturday but struggle offensively for the most part other than a stretch in 3rd qtr when they went on a 12-0 run. Have to give Waverly credit for playing good defense and doing a good job containing Thacker. Just wasn't Eastern's night. Time to regroup and get ready for 2 more road games this weekend. Green on Friday and a very tough task Saturday as they head to Peebles.

GO EAGLES!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”