Burg Tanner Holden

laser breath
Varsity

Re: Burg Tanner Holden

Post by laser breath »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:10 pm
laser breath wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:34 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:15 pm

So in other words, Burg should have won the State Title with the most talented team. Do they get a trophy for that?
When Karl Anthony towns was at Kentucky, they lost in the final four. They still were the best team in the country even with the loss. And even though I don’t agree with his opinion, it’s absolutely possible in the game of basketball to lose a tournament game and still be the best team in the division.
So, I’m confused, why have a tournament if the best team doesn’t win?
Seriously? You’ve never heard of an upset?

Let me explain so you’re not confused. Sometimes the team that’s better than the team they’re playing doesn’t win. I know, go figure. But see what happens is,the better team may not make all their baskets, or maybe they miss their foul shots, or the other team for some reason makes a lot more shots than they usually do. I know. It’s crazy to think that, but it has happened.

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

laser breath wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:05 am
laser breath wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:34 pm

When Karl Anthony towns was at Kentucky, they lost in the final four. They still were the best team in the country even with the loss. And even though I don’t agree with his opinion, it’s absolutely possible in the game of basketball to lose a tournament game and still be the best team in the division.

Let me explain so you’re not confused. Sometimes the team that’s better than the team they’re playing doesn’t win. I know, go figure. But see what happens is,the better team may not make all their baskets, or maybe they miss their foul shots, or the other team for some reason makes a lot more shots than they usually do. I know. It’s crazy to think that, but it has happened.
Swankier pines team is always trying to upset the pirates. He should know about these odd occurrences

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

That Burg team had one good player. Holden carried that entire team

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

laser breath wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:07 am
laser breath wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:05 am

Swankier pines team is always trying to upset the pirates. He should know about these odd occurrences
Burg on upset alert 🚨 🚨 🚨

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:09 pm That Burg team had one good player. Holden carried that entire team
I agree with you however the other poster doesn’t and I was trying to explain that, yes, sometimes the better team doesn’t always win.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

laser breath wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:37 pm
Raider6309 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:09 pm That Burg team had one good player. Holden carried that entire team
I agree with you however the other poster doesn’t and I was trying to explain that, yes, sometimes the better team doesn’t always win.
Well Harvest Prep basically walked through our region. So the better team won. Holden on Alexander would have been great game vs Prep

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Southeast regional generally weakest in the state with the exception when a Columbus team comes to Athens in any division.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:42 pm Crab’s Bro,

No Question HP had the 2nd, 3rd & 4th best players on the floor. The 5th best player went to Burg (Truitt). The gap between one and two was huge.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I will stick with what I believe. They were the most talented team in state. Holden was that good!
And the gap between 4th and 5th was just as huge.

We can agree to disagree. You have your opinion and I have mine. Tanner was the best player in D3 last season. Wheelersburg was not the most talented team.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

The only question I had when Tanner was at Wheelersburg was his outside shooting......I thought the other parts of his game were D1 level.....ballhandling, rebounding, finishing around the basket, being able to score in clutch situations. Obviously from how he's doing at Wright State he has improved his perimeter game. I never had any doubts about his athletic ability. He just might be able to take his game to an even higher level after Wright State, with basketball being such a global game now.

As far as how he compares to fairly recent Wheelersburg players, I'd say he's the best since Andrew Burleson. Burleson had a very good all around game and ironically had a very good career at WHS and Wright State also. I remember he dunked on my Trojans with 5 seconds left to give WHS a 52-51 win at the Burg in 2002.

I agree with Crab's brother about Harvest Prep being better than Wheelersburg. The Burg had the best player, but HP had a very good starting 5 with an outstanding PG. I went to the HP vs. Burg regional final, and the Warriors led most of the way, with the Pirates making a spirited rally early in the 4th quarter. In the end, though, Prep pulled away for a 14 point win. When you lose by 14, I can't say the better team lost.

MrFirstTake
SE

Post by MrFirstTake »

trojandave wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:02 am The only question I had when Tanner was at Wheelersburg was his outside shooting......I thought the other parts of his game were D1 level.....ballhandling, rebounding, finishing around the basket, being able to score in clutch situations. Obviously from how he's doing at Wright State he has improved his perimeter game. I never had any doubts about his athletic ability. He just might be able to take his game to an even higher level after Wright State, with basketball being such a global game now.

As far as how he compares to fairly recent Wheelersburg players, I'd say he's the best since Andrew Burleson. Burleson had a very good all around game and ironically had a very good career at WHS and Wright State also. I remember he dunked on my Trojans with 5 seconds left to give WHS a 52-51 win at the Burg in 2002.

I agree with Crab's brother about Harvest Prep being better than Wheelersburg. The Burg had the best player, but HP had a very good starting 5 with an outstanding PG. I went to the HP vs. Burg regional final, and the Warriors led most of the way, with the Pirates making a spirited rally early in the 4th quarter. In the end, though, Prep pulled away for a 14 point win. When you lose by 14, I can't say the better team lost.
I agree wasn’t at the game but if Prep led the whole game hard to say burg was better

no competition don't gotta compete, I'm already winning this isn't defeat 😵
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

Yes ... we can agree to disagree! After watching the 4 Division III teams at the state tournament, Wheelersburg was the most talented team in the state last year.

E High
All State

Post by E High »

They were good. They were somewhat lucky to beat New Philly. They had zero chance to win in Columbus and on top of that, it was a year that a Columbus team didn’t come to Athens. Great year, but Rose 🌹 colored glasses never work 👍

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:18 pm Yes ... we can agree to disagree! After watching the 4 Division III teams at the state tournament, Wheelersburg was the most talented team in the state last year.
If that is the stance you want to take then fine....No one seems to agree with you, but you do you.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:18 pm Yes ... we can agree to disagree! After watching the 4 Division III teams at the state tournament, Wheelersburg was the most talented team in the state last year.
Does Burg get a Trophy 🏆 for being the best team not there?

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:33 am
Can we take the bickering to another thread and get back to the point? Tanner Holden having a hell of a freshman season at Wright State on a hell of a team. That’s awesome for Tanner; Burg; and for all of southeastern Ohio. Great to see a local kid doing well at the next level*

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

art_vandelay wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:27 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:33 am
Can we take the bickering to another thread and get back to the point? Tanner Holden having a hell of a freshman season at Wright State on a hell of a team. That’s awesome for Tanner; Burg; and for all of southeastern Ohio. Great to see a local kid doing well at the next level*
Thank You

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

trojandave wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:02 am The only question I had when Tanner was at Wheelersburg was his outside shooting......I thought the other parts of his game were D1 level.....ballhandling, rebounding, finishing around the basket, being able to score in clutch situations. Obviously from how he's doing at Wright State he has improved his perimeter game. I never had any doubts about his athletic ability. He just might be able to take his game to an even higher level after Wright State, with basketball being such a global game now.

Same, he really improved his outside game. Idk why Marshall didn’t get him

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

Harvest Prep was more talented than Wheelersburg last year. However, Burg gave Prep more trouble than anyone in the tournament all year. It was a tie ballgame in the third quarter before Burg ran out of gas in the fourth. Prep controlled both state games at the Schott and never faced the adversity Burg gave em in the regional final.

Return to “Boys Basketball”