Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason Edition 20-21

McClainTigerfan
Waterboy

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Preseason Edition 20-21

Post by McClainTigerfan »

Just a heads up ... watch for the Tigers in Greenfield to be much improved this year under coach Stewart!! This Junior class is pretty good and they have gotten bigger!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

McClainTigerfan wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:03 am Just a heads up ... watch for the Tigers in Greenfield to be much improved this year under coach Stewart!! This Junior class is pretty good and they have gotten bigger!!
FAC has a strong junior class....those classes have been tough all through the years, especially Jackson, Chillicothe and McClain.

PTrojan59
S

Post by PTrojan59 »

Either I’m blind (decent chance at that) or Portsmouth isn’t on the list. My apologies if they are, can someone tell me where? Lol thanks!

Who Dey!
PirateFan[69]
Varsity

Post by PirateFan[69] »

PTrojan59 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:35 am Either I’m blind (decent chance at that) or Portsmouth isn’t on the list. My apologies if they are, can someone tell me where? Lol thanks!
I don't see Portsmouth either, but maybe I'm blind too... Where do you think they belong on the list?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Thanks PTrojan59 & PirateFan[69] ... yep I left trojandave's Portsmouth squad off the final list entirely while putting Zane Trace on the list 2X's ... fixed it ... anything you see let me know ...

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Great to see your list Pfloyd. I will for sure miss seeing you at a lot of games this year because of Covid. The main thing for you is to stay healthy. I wouldn't be a homer Tiger fan if I didn't tell you Waverly should be ahead of Wheelersburg. LOL! I think the Tigers will find themselves at the top spot some point this year. They are loaded with bigs and for my money the best player in the area in Robertson.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: You mean to tell me that with 4 starters back, that Portsmouth can't get ranked any higher than 40th!! I thought you took into consideration what the teams have coming back, and few have more than we have. Here's a list of teams that I have a serious question as to whether they should be ranked ahead of us.........

12.Piketon (12-12)
24.Hillsboro (9-15)
26.Lucasville Valley (9-15)
27.Circleville (2-21)
31.McClain (7-16)
33.Southern (11-12)
34.Ironton (13-11) lost all 5 starters
28.Miami Trace (12-11)
35.New Lexington (9-15)
36.South Webster (12-13)
37.Paint Valley (6-17)
38.Meigs (13-11)
39.South Gallia (13-11)

This isn't the first time you've done Portsmouth like this......this has been going on for years.....1 year you dropped us 15 spots because we lost 1 game. I'm tired of the way you have done this to my school for a long time. It's time to call you out on it!!

I know it's just a ranking of teams, but it's on a public forum, and just as much as you deserve praise for how you rank teams, criticism is also part of it as well. If we don't play during the season to deserve a top 15-20 ranking, then I can see justification for ranking us accordingly......but for a preseason ranking to have us 40th when we have 4 starters back, playing in a competitive league, is just inexcusable. We were 10-13 with 5 losses in the last minute of the game, and we played 3 games in Florida, with 1 of those losses at the buzzer. I don't see too many SE district teams playing outside the district.

Your darn right I'm upset, and I don't care what anyone thinks about this post. What have all these other schools I have mentioned done to deserve their ranking over Portsmouth? How many players do these teams have coming back? The OVC is a very competitive league in basketball, and I will put it up against many other leagues in our district.

This isn't a 1 year thing with Portsmouth.......this has been going on for years......and I'm not going to apologize for this post. I meant exactly what I posted. I try to be respectful on here, but I'm taking up for my Trojans. I have good reason to be upset. There's no way in the world we should start out 40th!! End up there, maybe......but not at the beginning!!

You didn't even have us on your original list!! GO TROJANS!!

sportsfan2244
Freshman Team

Post by sportsfan2244 »

I may be wrong, but who is going to step up and score for the Trojans? After watching last year, I only saw one guy that flat out score and he is gone. Maybe someone can step up for the Trojans but I see them struggling to score this season.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

sportsfan2244 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:10 pm I may be wrong, but who is going to step up and score for the Trojans? After watching last year, I only saw one guy that flat out score and he is gone. Maybe someone can step up for the Trojans but I see them struggling to score this season.

Off the top of my head , Miles shipp who came on really strong last year and averaged around 14 ppg ? Including a couple big games including 45 plus against ironton Drew Roe who also averaged double figures , Donavon Carr who started as a sophomore and again double figure average our starting point guard Amare Johnson who has put up 15 points or more on more accasions then one ,6"4 Darion Bryant has more experience under his belt im not mentioning the other starters that will be stepping up until its official but there is more then 2 or 3 kids that will help this team .

I can See Dave points its like we haven't won more then 3 games a year for last how many years ,but then again with a program as rich as portsmouth basketball has been for years some think this is a sky is falling times lol.

And one other thing , who knows who is going to score for all these other teams with very few obvious?

Many many teams have and always will be happy to just make it to the convention center ,portsmouth has always had the mentality to make it "through" the convocation center ,and coach Collins tells each years player this exact thing ,the goal is Columbus...not league titles,not Athens but columbus!!

Good luck to all teams and let's get through what is going to be one of the craziest basketball seasons we've ever witnessed.

IM READY!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: Why don't you just leave Portsmouth out of your rankings? That way we PHS fans don't have to see our Trojans struggling to stay in the top 50 after a loss.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

It’s just one mans opinion. I don’t agree with where he has my team ranked but that’s ok. I respect him for having the courage to rank 70 plus teams. It’s preseason rankings and I seriously doubt he has any ill feelings directed at Portsmouth. It will all work out. Put your rankings up and see how the members react. Bottom line is no one puts in the effort Pfloyd puts out. He truly loves High school basketball. I respect his opinion.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whoa...just noticed Circleville at #27? I sure don’t see that at all.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:40 pm Whoa...just noticed Circleville at #27? I sure don’t see that at all.

Well , they had them 2 big wins ;)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

biggdowgg wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:45 am
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:40 pm Whoa...just noticed Circleville at #27? I sure don’t see that at all.

Play in a good and competitive league and to Pfloyd’s defense They were competitive in some games against good teams (Unioto I remember) but when I watched them last year the varsity lost by 40 and JV the same...I didn’t see the potential that they maybe have on that one night.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

jc2124: Like I said above, he has treated Portsmouth like this for years......this isn't the first time that he's buried us in his rankings. You said you don't feel he has any ill feelings toward PHS. Well, I wonder about that when this has been going on for years. It's one thing to put effort into the rankings, but it's quite another to be FAIR about it. There's not one person on this site that's going to convince me that there are 39 teams better than Portsmouth in the preseason.

Even I admit that Portsmouth should not be in the top 15-20......but 40th!! Come on!! 4 starters back!! and still 40th!!

You said it will all work itself out........then why has this been going on for years?

mrwonderful
Varsity

Post by mrwonderful »

After dat brow beating Mr.Dave give Pfloyd's the Mighty Trojans will be seeded 10 spots higher than they should be rest of season!...lol...Everyone knows the old saying: The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!!! Kinda like Coaches working over refs throughout a ball game....It works!!!!! I actually thought the Trojans were more athletic than most teams last year..They just did not play as a team...Is it Coaching? I don't know..Everyone seems to build up their Coach but everytime I ever looked to see if he was coaching he was sitting saying nothing....

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

mrwonderful: Coach Collins of Portsmouth is not someone who stands up and screams on every possession. He is the 2nd winningest coach in PHS history, going 173-93 in his 11 years at PHS. He has guided the Trojans to Final 4's in 2011 and 2012, and has had five 1,000 point scorers, including Kyre Allison, who is PHS's all time leading scorer and who earned a D1 scholarship to Marshall. I do feel that Collins is one of the most underpublicized coaches on this site. A lot of other coaches get talked about, but there's not 1 coach in the SE district that has as many Final 4's on his resume than Eugene.

What is not known about Eugene is the things he has done behind the scenes to help Portsmouth kids. Portsmouth's socio-economic and demographic situations has led to some challenging issues that Collins has to face on a daily basis.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

mrwonderful wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:46 pm After dat brow beating Mr.Dave give Pfloyd's the Mighty Trojans will be seeded 10 spots higher than they should be rest of season!...lol...Everyone knows the old saying: The squeaky wheel gets the grease!!!!! Kinda like Coaches working over refs throughout a ball game....It works!!!!! I actually thought the Trojans were more athletic than most teams last year..They just did not play as a team...Is it Coaching? I don't know..Everyone seems to build up their Coach but everytime I ever looked to see if he was coaching he was sitting saying nothing....

Every coach doesnt stomp and scream and yell and degrade the officials or the kids ,coach Collins is laud back but i bet if yiu ask former players he does get his point across ive seen on several occasions where he has set hes best players for small things .

I've ask this same question it seems every year , post another coach that has accomplished what coach Collins has in their first ten 11 years , he'll name a coach in the last year that has went to the final four in the last 11 years....not saying their isn't any but curious as to how many ?

I would much rather had my kids play for a coach like Collins then a few of these others that get worshipped because they scream and holler and stomp ,the bail when the talent is gone :evil:

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 am
biggdowgg wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:45 am

Play in a good and competitive league and to Pfloyd’s defense They were competitive in some games against good teams (Unioto I remember) but when I watched them last year the varsity lost by 40 and JV the same...I didn’t see the potential that they maybe have on that one night.
Their guards killed us last year. Isaac was hurt pretty bad in that game with his foot and scored 1 point I think. But they have a lefty that went off on us and I think he’s back this year

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Never seen someone’s butt hurt so bad over Pfloyds rankings. Portsmouth has been average at best for how many seasons now? Riding the coat tails of the past doesn’t mean they don’t deserve to be 40th (in a preseason poll)

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54

Return to “Boys Basketball”