Valley at Waverly Friday 02/12/21

transplant
SE

Re: Valley at Waverly Friday 02/12/21

Post by transplant »

well said, i completely understand. Yes, we all make mistakes and stupid decisions, all we can do is move on and learn from the mistakes we made and try to make sure we dont make the same mistake in the future.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

smurray wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:04 pm
transplant wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:51 pm
mlittle wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:49 pm Well, hopefully in this world of unforgiving people who prey on the mistakes of idiot teenagers and hope nothing more than to see them fail, him and the team can move past it and finish strong.
Agreed, sounds like the team handled it and move on. Wish him the best going forward, but glad Valley doesn't have to play him. Haha
Some schools/coaches wouldn't have handed down that harsh a punishment but Travis has always been about way more than basketball. He tries to help mold teenagers into fine young men and when they screw up he doesn't let it slide, rather uses it as a great teaching moment. Discipline is handed down but help is also offered. I haven't said anything on here about it because I didn't know what had been said and made public at this point. Obviously something was said on the radio and we'll leave it at that. This will be a HUGE learning experience for the young man, and not just him but for EVERY student athlete at Waverly.
I believe he will learn from it and be better because of it. We have all made stupid decisions in life, still do - we learn from them and hopefully become better people because of those mistakes...
I don’t know the coach but I imagine he is a good guy and wants best for his kids down the road but doesn’t the school have rules or guidelines when such a thing happens? Wouldn’t it just fall under whatever he did and that board approved punishment?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Ed Ott wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:14 pm
transplant wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:51 pm

Agreed, sounds like the team handled it and move on. Wish him the best going forward, but glad Valley doesn't have to play him. Haha
Some schools/coaches wouldn't have handed down that harsh a punishment but Travis has always been about way more than basketball. He tries to help mold teenagers into fine young men and when they screw up he doesn't let it slide, rather uses it as a great teaching moment. Discipline is handed down but help is also offered. I haven't said anything on here about it because I didn't know what had been said and made public at this point. Obviously something was said on the radio and we'll leave it at that. This will be a HUGE learning experience for the young man, and not just him but for EVERY student athlete at Waverly.
I believe he will learn from it and be better because of it. We have all made stupid decisions in life, still do - we learn from them and hopefully become better people because of those mistakes...
I don’t know the coach but I imagine he is a good guy and wants best for his kids down the road but doesn’t the school have rules or guidelines when such a thing happens? Wouldn’t it just fall under whatever he did and that board approved punishment?
Stop fishing. The situation was obviously handled and I'm sure the school knows exactly what transpired. Coaches must hold themselves and their players to a higher standard.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

greygoose wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:22 pm
Ed Ott wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:14 pm

Stop fishing. The situation was obviously handled and I'm sure the school knows exactly what transpired. Coaches must hold themselves and their players to a higher standard.
I’m not fishing, but I am saying that whatever happened likely just falls under handbook guidelines. 3 game benching sounds like the school did nothing but Coach benched him for 3 games. If true he must not have done much but breaking team rules. Sounds like the great athlete not getting off free. That’s a good thing.

WHS2000grad
Riding the Bench

Post by WHS2000grad »

I have not seen a Waverly City Schools or Waverly High School Handbook in 21 years since I had to follow, well was supposed to follow the rules in the handbook.
But never did I see athlete-specific discipline policies. The board/administration sets the rules for the student body. The coach does the same for his players. Travis understands, like most people, his players are role models, if not heroes, to the little kids that watch them play. (Even though not many get to watch them this year)
The team handled it, It is in the past, We all need to move on.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Are all Valley players back and at full strength?

Irish
Freshman Team

Post by Irish »

Who runs the point for Valley this year?

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

To me, it's kind of been point guard by committee. Copley, Buckle, Arnett, Stewart, Perkins, Nickel all handle the ball in the half court and have the ability to bring it up the court as well.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

transplant wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:26 pm To me, it's kind of been point guard by committee. Copley, Buckle, Arnett, Stewart, Perkins, Nickel all handle the ball in the half court and have the ability to bring it up the court as well.
Well I’d guess that gets attacked some....though with only 6 players they might not push the limit much on defense.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

They have a few players that also get minutes, but those guys primarily handle the ball. Id say for the tournament they will play 7-8 players.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

transplant wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:49 pm They have a few players that also get minutes, but those guys primarily handle the ball. Id say for the tournament they will play 7-8 players.
I meant Waverly playing 6. Valley point guard by committee reminds me of Jackson this year.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

oh ok, gotcha, misunderstood you. Yeah, will be interesting match ups friday and saturday. In Norm's offense, everyone has to at least handle the ball on the perimeter. Not everyone takes defenders off the dribble, but can handle it a little.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

Not likely to get this one in. Don’t hold your breath

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

True, might not.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:59 pm Not likely to get this one in. Don’t hold your breath
The game is on, quit being negative.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... looking at the weather it looks like to me that FRIDAY is the best opportunity to get a game in this weekend (Friday/Saturday) ... at least looking at the forecast it appears that we will get to have school on Friday anyway LOL ...

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Ironman92 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:09 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:59 pm Not likely to get this one in. Don’t hold your breath
👹👹👹👹

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:19 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:09 pm
👹👹👹👹
I’d guess the Waverly team being greatly fit and energetic could make a lot of ground with some snow shovels. Valley kids are gritty...they’ll get through whatever snow is left.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

We got more ice than snow down here... but yeah they are gritty, either way, they would make the game. lol

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Maybe they’ll assess everyone’s ability to get too the school for the bus and to the arena (for Waverly kids)I’m sure 23 will be ok by then.
It’s these backroads that swank lives on that are solid ice

Return to “Boys Basketball”