DII - Logan sectional

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: DII - Logan sectional

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:34 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:31 pm Has anybody seen Sheridan? They are clicking and sound like a tough matchup. Heller a stud guard at 6’1 and great scorer, good 6’4 forward, Heileman a 6’7 post player who always gets a double double. Amare Royster a 6’8 post player. They play a freshman and sophomore a lot and those two have been key and FWIW in the future their JV team is 16-0
Floyd was there tonight vs New Lex!
Just going by score this was one of their least impressive showings in the past month

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Mattox got his 300th vs Athens earlier in the year.
Stiverson gets his this week.
Combs notches his 300th vs Alex tonight.

Lot of cool stuff happening with this sectional this year as we get to the home stretch.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:44 pm Mattox got his 300th vs Athens earlier in the year.
Stiverson gets his this week.
Combs notches his 300th vs Alex tonight.

Lot of cool stuff happening with this sectional this year as we get to the home stretch.
All 3 will get to 400 in March of 2024

General knowledge
Waterboy

Post by General knowledge »

It’s the buddy group when it comes to seeding anyways. Scratch my back I’ll scratch yours kind of deal. The fact is the best record should be top seed. Go to sos if you have common records. It sorts it’s self out in the end anyways.

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

Sportsfanallnitelong wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:36 pm I usually don’t get on here to comment, just like to read....but treyman, you put the big letters AFTER in there when “YOUR” facts are not correct. The Chillicothe game is tomorrow night which happens to be before the seeds.....just sayin’. Sounds like you got a burr stuck somewhere by trying to nit pick. Come next Sunday, it will all come out in the wash. I will plan on making the trip to Logan just to watch Sheridan play. I like watching good basketball games. Just to let you know, I like rooting for the underdogs!! As long as it’s not my team, I LOVE upsets!! The joy you see on those high school boys faces are priceless if it happens. Best of luck to all Logan Sectional teams.
Nitpick? He listed 3 teams Sheridan had played and listed warrens entire schedule. It’s the same old thing in the SE, good old boys looking after each other.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Treyman3 wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:39 pm
Sportsfanallnitelong wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:36 pm I usually don’t get on here to comment, just like to read....but treyman, you put the big letters AFTER in there when “YOUR” facts are not correct. The Chillicothe game is tomorrow night which happens to be before the seeds.....just sayin’. Sounds like you got a burr stuck somewhere by trying to nit pick. Come next Sunday, it will all come out in the wash. I will plan on making the trip to Logan just to watch Sheridan play. I like watching good basketball games. Just to let you know, I like rooting for the underdogs!! As long as it’s not my team, I LOVE upsets!! The joy you see on those high school boys faces are priceless if it happens. Best of luck to all Logan Sectional teams.
Nitpick? He listed 3 teams Sheridan had played and listed warrens entire schedule. It’s the same old thing in the SE, good old boys looking after each other.
Get off your high horse. Sheridan had an opportunity to play Fairfield Union before the draw and chose not to.

General knowledge
Waterboy

Post by General knowledge »

I don’t know where you get you’re info but that was not the case. They only had one date available. They choose not to play

Treyman3
Freshman Team

Post by Treyman3 »

Get off your high horse. Sheridan had an opportunity to play Fairfield Union before the draw and chose not to.
[/quote]

Exactly, Sheridan tried to play before the draw, FU declined some dates, Sheridan declined some dates. No way was Sheridan avoiding FU. Get your facts straight.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

If you want facts, here are some ... Those teams you mentioned, the buddy group, are not buddies at all. No league affiliation except for Athens/VC and neither has done the other favors in the past. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Warren (IND), Logan Elm (MSL), Sheridan (MVL), Athens (TVC), Marietta (ECOL), VC (TVC), etc ... etc ... these coaches don't communicate, they are not friends, the seeding in the Logan sectional is about as straight forward and accurate as any in SEO.

How about some more facts: Sheridan has received a good seed for the last 10 years and has failed to produce, which is why you are seeing doubts from posters on here.

2008 They were No. 5 and were bounced in 1st game.
2009 They won one game in Logan, and then were hammered by Logan Elm 74-45 at the Convo.
2010 They were the No. 4 seed and lost to a lower seed (VC) in the sectional.
2011 They were the No. 2 seed! Guess what? They lost again in Logan 49-35 to Logan Elm.
2012 They were the No. 4, beat 5th seeded Marietta, made it to the Convo where they lost their 1st game to Chillicothe.
2013 They were No. 5, bounced in 1st game in sectional.
2014 They were the No. 4 seed and lost to Logan Elm 65-48 in the sectional.
2015 They were the No. 3 seed! Guess what? Bounced in the sectionals by Athens 68-46.
2016 They were the No. 6 and bounced in the 1st game.
2017 They were the No. 4 seed and lost again to a lower seed, Athens in the sectionals.

The last 10 years, despite being a top 4 seed in SEVEN of those years, Sheridan has only made the Convo TWICE and failed to win a single game at the districts. They have also lost to a lower seed in the sectionals more than any other team at Logan over the past decade.

Smeltzy
Varsity

Post by Smeltzy »

Saw Sheridan play last night. Also saw the man pfloyd and Coach Helber. As well as a contingent from Warren. All I will say is the eye test showed me a lot. I know the Sheridan group will probably say it wasn't there typical game and I get that. But you can still get a lot out of watching a team no matter what the circumstances. The bad thing about the FU v Sheridan game being now the week of the tournament starting is that both teams may not play all out and give everything that close to tourney.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:49 am If you want facts, here are some ... Those teams you mentioned, the buddy group, are not buddies at all. No league affiliation except for Athens/VC and neither has done the other favors in the past. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Warren (IND), Logan Elm (MSL), Sheridan (MVL), Athens (TVC), Marietta (ECOL), VC (TVC), etc ... etc ... these coaches don't communicate, they are not friends, the seeding in the Logan sectional is about as straight forward and accurate as any in SEO.

How about some more facts: Sheridan has received a good seed for the last 10 years and has failed to produce, which is why you are seeing doubts from posters on here.

2009 They won one game in Logan, and then were hammered by Logan Elm 74-45 at the Convo.
2011 They were the No. 2 seed! Guess what? They lost again in Logan 49-35 to Logan Elm.
2012 They were the No. 4, beat 5th seeded Marietta, made it to the Convo where they lost their 1st game to Chillicothe.
2015 They were the No. 3 seed! Guess what? Bounced in the sectionals by Athens 68-46.
2017 They were the No. 4 seed and lost again to a lower seed, Athens in the sectionals.

The last 10 years, despite being a top 4 seed in SEVEN of those years, Sheridan has only made the Convo TWICE and failed to win a single game at the districts. They have also lost to a lower seed in the sectionals more than any other team at Logan over the past decade.
Agree coaches aren’t going together anything like many other sectionals. The 4/5 seed thing to me is almost always a wash. I rarely consider those an upset either way....and the winner is never the favorite in their next game. Getting bested by Logan Elm in the tourney isn’t that unfulfilling either. Sheridan has been treated fairly in seedings and hasn’t done anything IMO to warrant a greater seed than usual but also not been unworthy of a high seed if the record is right. This year appears to be their best team of all those you listed. I wish they would eliminate games after the drawing.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:49 am If you want facts, here are some ... Those teams you mentioned, the buddy group, are not buddies at all. No league affiliation except for Athens/VC and neither has done the other favors in the past. In fact, it's quite the opposite. Warren (IND), Logan Elm (MSL), Sheridan (MVL), Athens (TVC), Marietta (ECOL), VC (TVC), etc ... etc ... these coaches don't communicate, they are not friends, the seeding in the Logan sectional is about as straight forward and accurate as any in SEO.

[/quoteGood points however; should a current team be penalized for what previous teams done in the past? If you agree with that then why not Give VC a higher seed over Warren this year-Look how far VC made it in the Tournament last year and Warren #3 lost to Logan Elm #6 last year in the 1st game of the Sectional. Just a thought.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I wasn't penalizing anyone for anything. Was just making a point that Sheridan has in fact received a 'fair shake' at the seeding process.

The point about lack of success was attributed to how they are perceived here on preps.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 am I wasn't penalizing anyone for anything. Was just making a point that Sheridan has in fact received a 'fair shake' at the seeding process.

The point about lack of success was attributed to how they are perceived here on preps.
Agreed. There's only one way to change the general public's perception and they'll have another great chance to do that this year.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 am I wasn't penalizing anyone for anything. Was just making a point that Sheridan has in fact received a 'fair shake' at the seeding process.

I agree with the fair shake completely.

I’m on preps about as much as anyone but I really don’t know how Sheridan is perceived on here. I don’t even know what I think of them. I do t know a lot about the teams they play either. Warren, FU, VC aren’t quite as great as they typically have been but I assume they could all beat Sheridan and maybe even be favored to beat them. A team like Athens could beat them I bet as well with a very good game.

I feel they should be the 1 seed as schedule isn’t weak and record is 2 games better than others. Why are FU and Sheridan not playing until after draw? Did one team insist on that? If they did the other should be the #1. If they played we would know who the #1 should be. If we are betting I’d go FU being the best team with Sheridan/Warren next and VC right right there with Athens coming fast.

The sectional and district matchups should be really really good. Good luck against Fairland and Unioto but it is all about matchups and some darn good coaches in the Logan sectional.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

If Fu beats teays tonight, theyre gonna be feeling really good about themselves. Hopefully at home, fu can build the same sort of lead and game against teays as they did AT teays, but just finish this time. I think they will.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Well looks like 14-2 Sheridan (10 straight wins) travels to 14-2 Tri Valley tonight.

Win and you have a definite 1 seed, lose and they might fall to the 2 or 3

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Sheridan 60
New Lexington 51 a final ...

As one of the Sheridan fans in their FIRST posts on SEOPs decided to show me WHY he/she wanted on the forum - trash others insights ... no way in my book to get respect from anyone BUT hey people do what they do for their own reasons LOL ... we don't have a single Sheridan supporter on the forum for seems like 20 years but now we have at least 2 - NICE !!! the Elite 8 has finally broken through into the MVL !!! - mission accomplished ! and welcome to SEOPs ! ... thank you for your input !

Made the trip up Rt 664 to 256 to 13 to the land of the Generals ! I have to give props to the Sheridan AD ! I walked in , the nice folks from SHS were taking money to get in the game when there they were !!!!! ... sitting on the table with signage that said FREE was a stack of team rosters ! this is such a rarity finding rosters for both teams ! AND for FREE ! I THANK the Sheridan AD for this little "perk" !!!

Can't find much fault in a team that is now 14-2 with their only 2 losses coming in the MVL ... the Generals when you look at the roster on paper are loaded and will be loaded next year as well ! the roster shows that the junior class of 6 averages 6-5 in height ( sporting 6-7. 6-8, 6-8, 6-3, 6-4, 6-0) ... last night 4 of the 6 juniors saw the floor , 3 seniors, 1 soph & 1 freshman ... Sheridan played 10 deep which ended up being a deciding factor in the outcome of last nights game as New Lex outrebounded, outhustled the Generals for 3 quarters and 2 1/2 minutes into the 4th ... Sheridan with so many pieces to bring in with size and physical talent, the Panthers got wore down by the time they could get the lead in the late 3rd and early 4th period ...

The first 4 minutes of the 1st period was all Sheridan as the Generals opened going 6/6 from the floor with their only blemish being a miss from the FT line as Sheridan went up 13-2 by the 4:15 mark of the 1st ... New Lex was able to close the quarter with a 6-3 run that cut the Sheridan lead in half mostly through outhustling, outrebounding the Generals ... Sheridan 16 New Lex 6 after 1 ... Quarter 2 was outstanding for the NL duo of seniors Nick Pickrell and Seth Russell both got after it at both ends as they led NL defensively in turning Sheridan over 5 times ... Pickrell the lefty PG for NL dropped 8 points in the quarter (12 pts for the half) from the outside while the 6-2 Seth Russell does what he does best inside defensively getting boards/disrupting the opponents bigs down low - Russell offensively got to the rim 2 times while stepping out on the perimeter to drain a 3 ball (8 pts in the quarter/10 for the half) ... NL outscored Sheirdan 16-12 in the 2nd period ... Sheridan was led by Ethan Heller's 5 points in the qtr (10 for the half) ... the BIG difference in this game shows with a closer look at the napkin stat sheet - Sheridan had 10 players see the floor vs New Lex 7 ... Sheridan had 9 players put points in the score book for the 2 quarters led by Heller's 10 pts vs New Lexington had 3 players score in the first half (Only 4 different players for the game) Pickrell 12 pts/Seth Russell 10 pts /Ben Stenson 2 pts ... Sheridan 28 New Lexington 24 at intermission ... the 3rd quarter was NL's as the Panther D shut down Sheridan's scorers (Heller 2,Heileman 2 only 1 fg between them) - holding SHS to "one and done" from the floor - Sheridan settling for AAU ball - failed to run any offensive sets, settled for the perimeter/rushed shots all period ... with the Generals looking very unorganized offensively New Lex got into a rhythm offensively which in Panther Land means putting the ball into the hands of Pickrell and Seth Russell as both found the bucket looking bigger as the NL PG hit 2 triples to go with his partner's 8 points including another triple from Russell ... the 3rd was all Panthers' but it came with a price - as all 5 starters stayed in the game while SHS kept their rotation of 10 players going ... Russell was spent down low working vs General bigs along with 6-0 junior Ben Stenson both players kept boards alive, disrupted the Sheridan inside game for the first 3 quarters ... NL tied the game for the first time a 3:03 in the 3rd 32-32 ... End of 3 New Lex 38 Sheridan 37 ... New Lex had left it ALL on the floor the first 3 quarters - the 4th saw the 10 man rotation of Sheridan pay dividends as the loose balls were now going to SHS ... the legs of the Panthers were gone, the shots were now missing the mark, the rebounding - NL was not as quick off the floor , Sheridan began to get it done inside in the 4th ... NL held onto a 40-37 point lead with 6:34 to play ... in a span of less than 3 minutes NL turned the ball over 3 times, allowed Sheridan 2 putback buckets inside as Sheridan's Dylan Emert and Luken Hill (soph) put up 10 points in a SHS 10-0 run ... Sheridan 47 NL 40 with 3:21 to play ... NL could get no closer than 5 the rest of the way as they had to foul to stop the clock, hope for misses and score at their own end ... :54 second mark Sheridan 54 New Lex 49 ... Sheridan's 7/12 from the line in the 4th was enough to preserve the W ... Sheridan 60 New Lexington 51 a final ...

... Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - New Lexington ...

Scoring ... Nick Pickrell 24, Seth Russell 20, Ben Stenson 4, Logyn Ratliff 3
3 Pointers ... 4/15 ... Nick Pickrell 2, Seth Russell 2
FTs .... 15/20
TOs ... 13
PnP ... 8 fgs/16 points in the paint
Transition points ... 0

... New Lex has 2 outstanding players PG Nick Pickrell as good of a PG as I've seen this season ... Seth Russell at 6-2 is a player ... hardnosed , great footwork, shoots the ball like a 2 guard from the perimeter (2 for 2 from downtown last night) I told Coach Helber ( Fairfield Union) last night that Russell is one of those kids that you wish was 6-5 to 6-7 HE WOULD BE UNSTOPPABLE ! I was impressed with both of these kids last night ... New Lexington doesn't have a 3rd scorer - IF they had the 3rd scorer ? last night they impressed me vs Sheridan ... outplayed SHS for 3 of the 4 quarters (minus the first 4 minutes of the first and last 4 minutes of the 4th) ...

Pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Sheridan ...

Scoring ... Ethan Heller (jr) 18, Luken Hill 12 (soph), Landen Russell 9 (fr), Grey Bennett 6 (sr), Dylan Emert 6 (sr), Grant Heileman 4 (jr), Clayton Radabaugh 2 (sr), Amere Royster 2 (jr), Tanner Wollenberg 1 (sr)

3 Pointers ... 4/13 ... Ethan Heller 2, Grey Bennett 2
FTs .... 12/23
TOs ... 12
PnP ... 14fgs/28 pts
Transition points ... 4 fgs/8 points in transition

... Obviously Sheridan is a good basketball team, you don't get to 14-2 with an undefeated 16-0 JV team and NOT be good ... at least it shows you are better than the competition you are playing (league and non-conference) ... Sheridan has a lot coming back next season to go with the JVs which sports 4 freshmen ... good things to come for the Generals ! ... my observations from LAST night : vs NL Sheridan as big as they are on paper aren't nearly as big on the floor as they played 6-8 Heileman and Royster for maybe 2 minutes of game time together ... Heileman is the more polished big as he starts - Royster played 3 minutes of game clock for the entire game - a nonfactor last night ... 6-7 Jordan played JV only ... Ethan Heller is a scorer and for real LOL ... seemed to try to do too much, too quick resulting in turnovers and quick shots (obviously he is used to making them as he showed he will throw it up from anywhere ) ... Sheridan is physical and with their 10 deep bench will wear an opponent down as they did last night vs NL ... I came away with a bitter taste in my mouth - as you have a talented, deep team but I felt I was watching an AAU ballclub - lots of iso play, quick shots , no offensive sets ... 14-2 speaks for itself however ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

Treyman3 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:18 am Get off your high horse. Sheridan had an opportunity to play Fairfield Union before the draw and chose not to.
Exactly, Sheridan tried to play before the draw, FU declined some dates, Sheridan declined some dates. No way was Sheridan avoiding FU. Get your facts straight.
[/quote]

I have my facts straight. I don't make excuses. You're the one whining about some perceived lack of respect for Sheridan. They've been seeded properly every year for a decade, as 93Bulldog broke down.

Sheridan has a good team, but we don't know how good. I'd wager they're not the best team in this sectional. Sheridan basically plays an East District schedule with a handful of exceptions, so it's hard for us to gauge them. One way we gauge them is their track record which, honestly, is not that good over the last decade - 2 sectional titles and 0 district tournament wins. Maybe this year will be different for Sheridan.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

So the one common denominator in all of this considering a 10 year span is COACHING. Because year in and year out the players are different. Are you all just trying to be nice. Look at Marvin Lewis for the Bengals. Has good to decent years but can never do anything in the playoffs. So is it the players fault or the Coaching Staff?

Return to “Boys Basketball”