Waverly holiday classic (Who you picking?)

countyscout
Waterboy

Re: Waverly holiday classic (Who you picking?)

Post by countyscout »

Ukfanatic wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:09 pm Waverly is 15 points better than Piketon or Easfern. Piketon can't handle Waverly pressure. Eastern has no bench and will run out of gas. Piketon Eastern on the first night should be a war!

Last night looked rough for your tigers. Not very good guards from Waverly. Quick team that shoots a lot of 3’s. Wasn’t impressed. Eastern has grit and great inside game that Waverly couldn’t stop. The leist kid had his way with the Waverly guards.

WHS2000
Waterboy

Post by WHS2000 »

As for the game- I don't think either Waverly or Eastern played their best game. I was hoping both teams would be super sharp, but on a back-to-back that's hard to accomplish. Great win for the Eagles wouldn't want to see them in my D-III draw. The Tigers won't be an easy out even in their sectional which has some very good teams this year.
OK we are comparing Barrick who was at 'Burg forever before he came to Pike County and has Robertson been a head coach 10 years yet? I'm not picking a coach but you're comparing apples to oranges.

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

What happened to UKfanatic. He seems to have gone silent this week

toast
All State

Post by toast »

EPN wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:30 am Tom Barrick has over 420 career wins , 16 sectional championships, 8 District championships, and 3 regional championships, but congrats to Robertson on those 5 waverly holiday classic titles. I agree numbers don’t lie.
How many of those 8 District championships and 3 regional championships came while at Wheelersburg? As we all know Burg doesn't lack for talent! Any coach that is remotely competent would do nearly as well if coaching at that location.

I'm always amazed at how some people think coaches can work miracles. Eastern was clearly the most talented team in the classic this year. Waverly staff did a nice job keeping the contest close until near the end and actually leading much of the game. With the talent and size Eastern has returning next year they'll be heavy favorites to repeat.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Hbk. I'm ight here. Congratulations to Eastern on a hard fought victory. It wasn't Leist who killed the Tigers it was the bigs inside. Nice game by Miller and Tomlinson off the bench was a huge help. The Tigers guards did a good job of keeping Leist from penetrating. They just couldn't stop the bigs. Barrack did a nice job slowing the game down. I do think Travis is doing a great job with what he has! The Tigers will be fine. 7-2 with this group is excellent. Tigers will be a tough out!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I guess on the flip side how many district championships and regional championships has burg won since he left (I don’t know but wondering)

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

Last edited by EagleNut14 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EagleNut14
Freshman Team

Post by EagleNut14 »

toast wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:04 pm
EPN wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:30 am Tom Barrick has over 420 career wins , 16 sectional championships, 8 District championships, and 3 regional championships, but congrats to Robertson on those 5 waverly holiday classic titles. I agree numbers don’t lie.
How many of those 8 District championships and 3 regional championships came while at Wheelersburg? As we all know Burg doesn't lack for talent! Any coach that is remotely competent would do nearly as well if coaching at that location.

I'm always amazed at how some people think coaches can work miracles. Eastern was clearly the most talented team in the classic this year. Waverly staff did a nice job keeping the contest close until near the end and actually leading much of the game. With the talent and size Eastern has returning next year they'll be heavy favorites to repeat.
Waverlys coaching staff done a good job keeping it close with Eastern?? Wasn't Waverly up 14-4?

OSU Alumni 2003
Waterboy

Post by OSU Alumni 2003 »

Eastern was down 10 at the end of 1 and early in the second half I believe. Didn't really play well the first 2.5 quarters.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

We can ask how many district, regional or state championship titles any coach has won. We can ask how many league championship titles they've won. I've been as guilty as anyone in listing those achievements when defending a coach, when the truth is..... none of these provide a fair or accurate manner in which to evaluate a coach.

It kinda reminds me of what took place in public education a few years ago when our elected leaders came up with a "one size fits all" standard to evaluate teachers and schools. Utterly ridiculous of course as students populations differ greatly from school to school.

Waverly staff has done a nice job over the last several years with the talent available. We've not had a lot of highly skilled or talented basketball players but they're gritty and play extremely hard. A testament to both the kids and the coaches.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

great coaches turn average athletes into great athletes and "highly skilled and talented" basketball players. It's no coincidence that great coaches always seem to have talent.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

toast wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:48 pm We can ask how many district, regional or state championship titles any coach has won. We can ask how many league championship titles they've won. I've been as guilty as anyone in listing those achievements when defending a coach, when the truth is..... none of these provide a fair or accurate manner in which to evaluate a coach.

It kinda reminds me of what took place in public education a few years ago when our elected leaders came up with a "one size fits all" standard to evaluate teachers and schools. Utterly ridiculous of course as students populations differ greatly from school to school.

Waverly staff has done a nice job over the last several years with the talent available. We've not had a lot of highly skilled or talented basketball players but they're gritty and play extremely hard. A testament to both the kids and the coaches.
I haven’t a dog in this debate. I like Robertson and believe from what I’ve seen and reading on here that he has done a fine job at Waverly. Being a Jackson person I can definitely appreciate getting the most out of athletes because we rarely have any. I always sit a few rows behind the visiting team at Jackson games. I love to hear the opposing coach and his staff and how they do things. In my years since Jackson’s new gym (2004)...Tom Barrick is my #1 pick. Blaine Maddox of Warren is great. Matt Combs of Vinton County is great. I’ve seen several very good and several quite underwhelming (especially the last couple years)

Again, Robertson does a good job and Waverly should’ve happy with him....my words just were more towards Barrick being one of the very best and not downgrading Robertson at all. Also not really about this yearly classic...I just thought yesterday was a good example. Seeing Eastern down 14-4 and then slowly cut it down to start the 4th...I knew Waverly better win that first 4 min.

Good Luck to both programs the rest of the year except for when Waverly faces Jackson.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Ironman92: I have a fundamental difference with some people on the degree of difference a coach can actually make in a player or team. Some difference but not nearly the degree some folks believe. All four county coaches do a nice job from my perspective.

Time for me to move on to a new thread. Have a great new year! :)

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

toast:

Great defense of your coach. Could care less if you’re right or wrong. If you dont defend him then no one will.

The correct question is not who is a better coach between Barrick and Robertson but rather how many games or wins do any of the pundits have who roast him or any other coach on here?

The hours that Coach Robertson puts in (along with his staff) and the relationships he has built with Waverly kids over the past 10 years certainly qualify him enough for you to defend him.

Besides he might be the only coach in Ohio who lists the ball boys on the media sheet.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:47 pm toast:

Great defense of your coach. Could care less if you’re right or wrong. If you dont defend him then no one will.

The correct question is not who is a better coach between Barrick and Robertson but rather how many games or wins do any of the pundits have who roast him or any other coach on here?

The hours that Coach Robertson puts in (along with his staff) and the relationships he has built with Waverly kids over the past 10 years certainly qualify him enough for you to defend him.

Besides he might be the only coach in Ohio who lists the ball boys on the media sheet.
Former ball boys going to help pile up some wins over the next 4 years

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

LucasDavenport wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:47 pm toast:

I love this post!

All things considered the coaches and the players on your rosters are yours and no one else's. Right or wrong Defend them to the end. I personally would much rather see a poster defending their coach or player whether they are right or not, than to hear them just ranting about nonsense bashing kids and coaches.

Return to “Boys Basketball”