Chillicothe at Wheelersburg

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Impressive by Chilly.

Burg needs a cupcake.

Burg plays great defense...but is low on offensive weapons.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Final

Chillicothe...........23 - 13 - 17 - 15 = 68
Wheelersburg.....14 - 12 - 07 - 09 = 42

Burg
Spradlin 18
Lang 4
A Stegman 9
Jenkins 3
M Stegman 4
Armstrong 2
Robison 2

Sht...17/51, 33%
3pt....3/18, 16% (that's a killer)
FT....5/9, 55%
TO...14
Reb...23

Chilli
Hitchens 30
Chambers 11
Knights 9
Dawes 12
Newman 2
Beverly 2
Turner 2

Sht....28/50, 56%
3pt....didn't get Chilli %
FT....6/9, 66%
TO....14
Reb....30

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

burg needs a wake up call and i think 2 straight losses might be the wake up call. if they are not careful they might not only not win the soc but they may not even get to the convo. i hope i'm wrong though

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

Ironman92 wrote:Impressive by Chilly.

Burg needs a cupcake.

Burg plays great defense...but is low on offensive weapons.

Next is Ironton, We don't play cupcakes ;-)

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

Mad_Dogg wrote:burg needs a wake up call and i think 2 straight losses might be the wake up call. if they are not careful they might not only not win the soc but they may not even get to the convo. i hope i'm wrong though

Sometimes I think the fans in Wheelersburg need a wake up call. They played two very tough games on back-to-back nights. They played a tough 4-quarter conference game on the road last night, then played against a fresh Chilly team that is one of the best teams south of Columbus.
This Pirate team is not the same team from the past two years and everyone needs to realize that you're not going to win the district title every year. A high school program is allowed to have an off year, however this team has great senior leadership and a "pretty good" coaching staff that will not stop working on improving this team.
Think back to the 2000 team, we struggled at the start of the year (including a 16 point loss at home to Minford) and entered the tournament at 16-4 and a #4 seed. However, Coach Barrick worked his magic and we won a sectional title, beat a Westfall team that was suppose to "destroy" us and made an incredible 11 point comeback in the last 3 minutes to beat Chesapeake to win the districts.

I know this is a long post, but the point is never give up on a Wheelersburg team. No matter win or lose, I can assure you that these Pirates will be given 110% to win each ball game. Sometimes, 110% is just not enough. In those cases, applaud your opponents and pat your kids on the back for all of their efforts.

burgtown
Waterboy

Post by burgtown »

Barrick needs to wise up, the guys he is playing no way near getting the job done, the starters are really bad shoots, except Drew on some nights. I will say a 12-8 season is on the horizon and that could be a stretch. But there is always next year, but wait it will be worse next year.

The Fan
Waterboy

Post by The Fan »

Barrick is one of the best coaches I have seen. Burg will be fine. Played pretty well in the first half. They just ran out of gas tonight. They will struggle to score but I'm sure they will get to work on Monday and get things worked out.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

burgtown wrote:Barrick needs to wise up, the guys he is playing no way near getting the job done, the starters are really bad shoots, except Drew on some nights. I will say a 12-8 season is on the horizon and that could be a stretch. But there is always next year, but wait it will be worse next year.

Like I told you on the Oak Hill/Burg thread, if you think they are that bad then keep your rearend at home and let the real fans watch this years team. Either support them 100% or stay away.

So what if they go 12-8?? That is still a winning season and a lot of schools in this area would kill for a 12-8 season. You are obviously one of the Burg fans who are spoiled by all the success they have had over the years. This team will be fine after they get a few games under their belt.

They have only lost two games, one to a front runner in the SOC that is loaded with talent(just like the Burg was the past two years) and to a DII school that is probably one of the best schools in the SE district no matter what size.

By the way, just what the hell is a "really bad shoot"? I thought was something that only happened to cops who shot the wrong person.

socfan
All Conference

Post by socfan »

burgtown wrote:Barrick needs to wise up, the guys he is playing no way near getting the job done, the starters are really bad shoots, except Drew on some nights. I will say a 12-8 season is on the horizon and that could be a stretch. But there is always next year, but wait it will be worse next year.

Please try reading the post above your "comments". Maybe this could provide a little insight for you. I normally don't get into situations like this but this is getting crazy.

I think I will trust the decision making of Tom Barrick, Ken Massie, and Brian Oakes over anyone in SE Ohio. I think some people need to come off their high horse and realize that you can't go 20-0 every season and that you are to suspect some losses along the way.

I'm sure the players are feeling good about themselves right now after a tough weekend and with "great support" like this from the fans, they are sure to gain confidence.

Boys, if you are reading this, ignore people trying to predict what your season will become. Take care of business every day in the classroom, the locker room, and on the court. Listen to your coaches, they will guide you to success.
Last edited by socfan on Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Good game Wheelersburg. Good luck the rest of your Pirate season.

Sounds like the CAVS are on the Roll.

GO CAVS :!:

chilltown
JV Team

Post by chilltown »

The Burg just ran into a buzzsaw.....They will be good , they just don't have talent that the Cavs have this year... not surprised at the spanking .....good to see Cavs win a nice road game after losing to an average Haven ' team we should have beat by double digits.....

Lamont Cranston
Freshman Team

Post by Lamont Cranston »

Congrats to the Cavs!! After seeing two of their early scrimmages, knew their speed would give other Southern Ohio teams fits... now, as far as their non-league goes, they had better be @ the top of their game or other results similar to the 'Haven could await. The key will be production from kids NOT named Anthony Hitchens and Ray Chambers. Looked like last night that Seth and Caleb provided some of that... good to see. Their schedule is still a "Bear", and set up for this team to be excellent in March, not December. Go Cavs!!!

Calling it like it is...
Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

gahs4ever wrote:I wouldnt be surprised to see both of the teams that beat Burg this weekend make it to at least the regionals next spring. I dont think losing to either of them is reason to doubt the program.

Well put GAHS.....Oak Hill & Chilli back to back, is a very tough weekend. Anybody questioning 'The Burg is flat silly. These two losses will help The Burg' come tourney time.

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

Ty you are a wealth of knowledge! However, I do agree. Having seen the game Friday Night there is no need for The Burg to panic. Coach Person said Saturday morning and I quote "That was a war" He also said that it may have been the most physical game that he ever coached in. With that said, The Burg has to come right back last night and play Chillicothe. Sorry that is a tall order for any high school team. On the positive side it was not a conference loss. I think Coach Barrick is a great coach with a great team. And this Oaks fan thinks the Burg will be just fine! :-D

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Judge Smales wrote:Ty you are a wealth of knowledge! However, I do agree.:-D

If I am a "wealth of knowledge, but you agree," one could only conclude that you are, in most instantces, limited in your knowledge. Smales, that statement no makes and the world is dumber place. :shock:

In a desperate effort to suck up to the Oak Hill coach, you really should try to not underestimate yourself so much. :lol: :lol:

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

Ty Webb Wrote:

If I am a "wealth of knowledge, but you agree," one could only conclude that you are, in most instantces, limited in your knowledge. Smales, that statement no makes and the world is dumber place.

It takes us all to make the world a dumber place Ty! :roll: LOL
Don't sell yourself short, your an incredible slouch! :-D

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

Judge Smales wrote:Don't sell yourself short, "YOUR" an incredible slouch......

Try... "YOU'RE".... and both of you keep the knowledge coming for the rest of us. :lol:

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

socfan wrote:Sometimes I think the fans in Wheelersburg need a wake up call.

AMEN, BROTHER !!!!!!!

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

That is great! LOL :lol:

1fan1
Riding the Bench

Post by 1fan1 »

I agree that the Burg fans can be the worst on their own kids, but the real fans (and that is about 80% of them, love all of their hard-working kids in all sports and every year). Fortunately, the kids themselves know that. It only takes one or two who heap discouraging remarks and stupid expectations on their shoulders to make the kids feel like crap. I hope those who do that do get the hint and stay home. We don't need them. Also, comparisons to last year are not very helpful, either. The burg was very fortunate for two years, and those years are gone, and this is now. What we have now matters.
As for all the bandwagon fans who rode the bandwagon for the last two years and now are saying the team better wake up and Barrick doesn't know what he is doing, I hope they abandon the bandwagon, too. Go home, stay home, and quit posting. Please, don't come back, either, if the team gets to the convo. We don't care if you want to go out to dinner and have a fun tournament night. We care about our boys, not your good time. In short, if you don't have anything encouraging to say, shut up. The kids and coaches knew pre-Christmas season, with a late start, would be brutal, and it has been, but the team played very hard and well at Oak Hill (saw some real promising performances!) and they ran out of gas in the third quarter vs Chilli.
Also, the Burg starters were out of the game in the 4th qtr, saving some legs for Tuesday once that game had obviously been decided, and Chilli kept its starters in way longer than was necessary. With a 20 point lead, they ran the score up. They are just lucky onen of their players didn't get fooolishly hurt playing against second team Burg. That was not necessary or classy. The Burg team did beat the Cavs last year, but why run up the score on this year's team b/c of last year? If the coach has something against Barrick, he shouldn't use kids to show it. Pretty bad when we are talking about high school kids on a second team that really had little to do with the defeat last year???? Revenge on them? I know the players from chilli had nothing to do with that decision, too,so it is a poor reflection on the coaching staff.
The Cavs are a very good team, and they will go far this year, unless they begin to fight over who get the ball and the most shots. There may not be enough basketballs to go around.

Return to “Boys Basketball”