ALL-TIME SVAC TEAM

rat
Freshman Team

Post by rat »

With Stout and Tacketts bunch there were not enough balls for that bunch. Nobody from NG averaged that many pts. except maybe Greg James. Also NG never kept individual records, unless mommy and daddy kept them in the stands.

Army
S

Post by Army »

tumblingtrio wrote:At Southwestern, back in the 60's...Lloyd Myers,Halley boys and Keith Carter, I believe in 1969, nice shot.....70's, You had Lloyd Wood, Terry Carter, Kevin Walker, Don Bush, Doug Miller, Keith Grate, Chris Lewis, Gene Layton, Larry Carter....................The best players I ever saw out of this area was Jaye Myers from SV and Greg James from NG and Mr. shooter Mark Swain

Is Terry and Keith Carter any relation to Mel Carter who taught and coached at Southwestern :?:

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

Keith Carter's dads name is Mel Carter... might be the same one...

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Glad to see this topic has such a good interest. Southern had many athletes in the SVAC not only from the 82 team but from other years as well.... heard a lot about quite a few people already mentioned in the discussion...

Bfan
Waterboy

Post by Bfan »

Them there days were remembered well when we went to HT, NG, and Southern and got home cooked. Southwestern was always an easy win for us at KC and everyone else in the league, especially in football.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Heard Southers gym was a sauna... heard it got pretty toasty inside lol

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

FrozenRope9, you are wrong about the TVC.....Tim Bissell and Jeff Durst played in the SVAC in 1992. I was a senior at Hannan Trace. The next year Gallia County Schools consolidated and thats when Eastern made the switch.

GATOR BAIT
Riding the Bench

Post by GATOR BAIT »

Just ask futurebkstar back then we put it up a lot and better than they do today in 91' teams back then played much more up tempo than todays teams primarily In my opinion all the kids on most of the teams shot a lot better than they do today. Those stats didn't come from mommy and daddy rat it come out in the all state d3 honors for 91' and yeah I know everyone remebers Greg James and yeah probably the best to come from ng maybe arthur clark but who knows. We did have the privilage of playing against Greg every weekend along with some others. Also had the honors of playing with some of Ht past greats every summer. As far as stats go thats all history there is not a single individual that deserves mvp honors, because back then is not like today, back then we took things more serious. As for the rat I think he's still mad over the scoreboard issue from the other day, but when the truth hurts people tend to run others down me I'm easy going and can say it was a privilage and an honor to have had the opportunity to play with some of the greats from HT, Southern, Eastern and all the SVAC teams.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Army-Terry, Larry, and Keith Carter are Mel's sons.

I think the Keith Carter they are talking about is a little older. He played at Southwestern before any of Mel's boys came through. He later coached for several years at Kyger Creek. A guy by the name of Jimmy Walker may of also played at about the same time.

I know everyone thinks of Paul Dillon and Hannan Trace and rightfully so since he coached there and was the principal for awhile at HT also. But he played high school basketball at Southwestern. He later played at Rio Grande and lead the nation in rebounding one year.

When I came to Gallia County in 1980 I was told many stories about the early Southwestern teams of The Reese boys, Lloyd Myers, and Slivers. I do remember many very good HT and Southern teams in my time here. North Gallia would come up with a good team also.

GATOR BAIT
Riding the Bench

Post by GATOR BAIT »

Yeah rat they did keep stats back then, and there was better sports coverage in the local papers than there is now. Just like jimmy Brace's 12 three pointers, you think someone didn't keep track of that Oh, by the way its not from memory that he made 12 because I do remember but its a state record, imagine that someone kept track of his stats listening to you, sounds like we just played to be playing or you could be a disgruntled player or maybe you just repeat what you have heard because sounds to me like your not to familiar with NG's ways and I'm pretty sure coach jenkins kept stats down there at HT as well. Can you help me out on that one futurebkstar was around you guys a lot through the summers. You gotta admit those were the good lod days of basketball this generation is the me generation I want the glory,but I don't wanna work for it, But I still get to play anyway. Of course thats just an opinion from the old school. By the way I think Brace is tied for 5th all time three pointers in a game.

seohiofan
JV Team

Post by seohiofan »

oak hill had some pretty good teams back then
with girls coach doug hale coaching boys
mike hale was a good player to watch

GATOR BAIT
Riding the Bench

Post by GATOR BAIT »

Yep, they had some talent out there and still do potter,lewis,and rawlins was my generation but I played against some of there oldies out at Rio a lot back then.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Jed Rawlins!!!

All I could remember was some BIIIIIG guy from Oak Hill. Thanks for the reminder.

Stout from NG was a good player, no doubt, but Tackett made things happen at the point.

GATOR BAIT
Riding the Bench

Post by GATOR BAIT »

Yep, Big Jed that's the one.

Hopper 11
JV Team

Post by Hopper 11 »

Here are some SVAC Champs I can remember
1975-HT-Mark Swain great shooter
1976-NG-Greg James very exciting player to watch
1977-Southern-Great team,went undefeated, had 6 or 7 players who could light it up.Johnston,Brauer,Brown,Dunning and Findley
1978-Southern-Teaford and Winebrenner good scorers.
1979-Southern-District Champs Brinager,Hill, Findley and O'Brein
1980-Southern-State Final 4- Duffey,Foreman,Davis and Rees
1981-Southern-Dale Teaford
1982-Southern-State Runner Ups- Kent Wolfe,Richard Wolfe,Brown,Roseberry,Rees,Fredrick and Pape.
1983-Southern-Z.Beegle good scorer.
1984-Southern-Littlefield,Deem and Teaford
1985-I think Southern won SVAC,but I think Eastern won the Sectional
1986-?
1987-?
1988-Southern- District Champs-Amburgey,Caldwell,Turley,Cunningham and Riffle.
1989-?
1990-?
1991-?
1992-?
The years I have ? by I was not 100% sure on so someone else can fill them in.

GATOR BAIT
Riding the Bench

Post by GATOR BAIT »

89'Southern
90'Eastern
91'Southern
these were the league champs

Rebelcat
All Conference

Post by Rebelcat »

1973 Hannan Trace-Symmes Valley
1974 Hannan Trace (20-2 and ranked 10th in Class A State Rankings)
1975 Hannan Trace (19-3)
1976 North Gallia
1977 Southern
1978 Southern
1979 Southern
1980 Southern
1981 Southern
1982 Southern
1983 Southern
1984 Hannan Trace - Southern
1985 Hannan Trace - Southern
1986 Southern
1987 Hannan Trace
1988 Southern (HT was second and won 18 games that year)
1989 ?
1990 ?
1991?
1992?

In 1991 Hannan Trace won the District title and lost to Cincinnati Lockland in Dayton Regional. HT beat Jackson twice (Jackson won SEOAL that season) South Point, Fairland twice, Point Pleasant and played Chesapeake tough before losing be 7. I remember the Panther fans giving HT a stand ovation. In the district final the Wildcats killed 3rd ranked Green to advance after beating Southern on a 3 pointer at the buzzer.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

I think Eastern might have finished in a 3 way tie with HT and SV in 1973. I saw the HT at SV game that year. HT had Swain and Caldwell and SV had Jene and Jaye Myers and Lafon playing for them. That game had an interesting ending to it for sure.
Did Eastern have Dennis Eichenger and the Caldwells playing for them this year?

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

GATOR BAIT, Coach Jenkins did keep stats back in the day. He only kept rebounds, assist, steals, charges taken, deflections, turnovers, and block shots(even though you would et taken out for attempting one) Then at the end of the year he would give us a final tally of our totals and then he gave us point averages. Yes, someone stated earlier that there was no way a team had 4 averaged 16+. You are wrong. Chad Swain, Jimmy Brace, Brian Unroe, and the late Dave Poling all averaged 16-18 ppg. They combined for 69 points per game between them. The 1991 HT team had 6 guys average double digits. Back then "TEAM" was the key. I remember having seen and been apart of fasbreaks that ended up having 5-6 passes before a teammate would finally take the shot. By the way, the 1991 Regional team was beating Lockland late in the game before losing.

Only thing I can say, back then alot more basketball was being played. You didnt see grass growing up in the cracks of outdoor basketball courts. You didnt have kids relaxing inside, drinking pop, and playing XBOX. I remember playing summer ball in Crown City. We played Winners stay. I remember if you lost you wouldnt have a chance to play again for an Hour. I also remember shooting a couple hours a night with Chris Petro at 3 am in the morning. I remember taking a dolly and strapping a broom to it and shooting over it for hours.(Pretending a hand was in my face) Thats why a slow footed kid with less talent could hit 12 Threes in a game. PRACTICE>>>PRACTICE>>>PRACTICE

rat
Freshman Team

Post by rat »

I don't know what the hell was meant by the scoreboard issue. If a team has six people scoring double digits they should be in the final four if they play any defense. As for stats you show me where I could find the stats for the history of any of these schools. Talking about getting up and down the floor its easy to get more shots when you play no defense, you will get more possessions. Putting down kids of today shows me that most dont understand the changes the game has taken. Teams of today are so much quicker, bigger, and stronger that teams of the 80's and early 90's would get physically abused by these kids today.

Return to “Boys Basketball”