Trimble vs Africentric Regional Semi Final (Sweet 16)

Sports24/7
Freshman Team

Re: Trimble vs Africentric Regional Semi Final (Sweet 16)

Post by Sports24/7 »

We could go on and on about this but you are totally missing the point about the league.You are just giving isolated examples and trying to be" politically correct "about the competition in SE District.I'm talking as a WHOLE...Year in and year out in all sports mostly boys not the last 5 years.Need to get out of the area a little bit and see what I'm talking about.And the MAC is a great example to use in this case......Anyway,I understand what you are trying to say and agree but look outside the box a little more.....

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

Or, get a little better at recruiting.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

I 100% agree that teams in Se ohio need to find a way to schedule teams from the central district or other good areas in their sport. Even if it means going on the road every single time. It will only help you. The SE district in a lot of sports gets no recognition or respect from other areas because 1) the area isn't producing state champs often, and 2) they don't see them.

Think it's great to venture out and go play tougher competitors. Give me a say 20-2 record over 22-0 it it's two losses that undoubtedly make me better or more prepared for a tourney.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Falcon01 wrote:I 100% agree that teams in Se ohio need to find a way to schedule teams from the central district or other good areas in their sport. Even if it means going on the road every single time. It will only help you. The SE district in a lot of sports gets no recognition or respect from other areas because 1) the area isn't producing state champs often, and 2) they don't see them.

Think it's great to venture out and go play tougher competitors. Give me a say 20-2 record over 22-0 it it's two losses that undoubtedly make me better or more prepared for a tourney.
And... when SEO teams schedule up as best as possible good things happen.

When you have less league games you are locked in to, you have more freedom to schedule. All of those successful teams the TVC-Hocking claims went out of their way to boost their non-league schedule.

Waterford girls played Parkersburg South x2, Alexander, and Fort Frye (even if that game is a "given" to happen, it is still a quality opponent.)

Eastern scheduled Rosecrans (the team they'd also later beat for a state title), Olentangy Liberty, Jackson, and WV ST Joe's the year they won the girls title.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

oldmo31 wrote:Or, get a little better at recruiting.

Look I hate the transfers thing as much as anyone, but it's part of things now. Especially with open enrollment, it's so easy to do. I don't like it as an excuse though. Bloom Carroll basketball has reaped the benefits of numerous transfers, and it bugs me to no end as their rival... but it's something I just accept because it's going to happen, and it's happening legally.

Falcon01
S

Post by Falcon01 »

If you go through the soccer forum, I've said it a million times. Until the SE starts winning titles AND going through and beating the teams from the central district, the opinions and respect of the SE will stay the same. Some teams do it, and make themself better for it. I don't think there is any doubt that athens football scheduling those tough non conference games helped them become who they were enroute to state title game.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Falcon01 wrote:If you go through the soccer forum, I've said it a million times. Until the SE starts winning titles AND going through and beating the teams from the central district, the opinions and respect of the SE will stay the same. Some teams do it, and make themself better for it. I don't think there is any doubt that athens football scheduling those tough non conference games helped them become who they were enroute to state title game.
Athens thump pretty much everyone in soccer but lost to State champ Desales 3-1. We have lost to Desales a lot. Desales has been to state 9 times since 2000. Desales, Bexley, and Watkins

Pops
Waterboy

Post by Pops »

Trimble didn't manage the game well down the stretch.

TVC
Varsity

Post by TVC »

It happens with most state champion teams from all over. South Webster and Oak Hill's titles are perfect examples. It is what it is without recruits you just don't beat the teams that have them.

sportsfan87
Waterboy

Post by sportsfan87 »

Waterford and eastern girls teams have made it to four consecutive final fours. Congrats and that is quite an accomplishment...that being said it has only happened since the regional in d4 has become weaker from central district. No more africentric, harvest prep hasn't been the same since the post season ban, Newark Catholic is now gone as well. There is a reason why Waterford lost all those regional games year after year they couldn't get over hump against africentric and harvest prep. Until the boys get lucky enough to not have to play the africentric's, harvest preps, and private schools of the central district it will continue to be the same results.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Only recently has it included 2 southeast and 2 central for the DIV girls. Waterford backed up winning the 'weak' Pick regional by also winning in the state semi-finals, before losing a heart breaker in the finals.

Eastern had to deal with the Hebron district, along with Newark Catholic (central district), during their runs to the state finals.

If you are going to discredit the young ladies accomplishments, at least get your facts straight.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Amen

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

TVC wrote:
It happens with most state champion teams from all over. South Webster and Oak Hill's titles are perfect examples. It is what it is without recruits you just don't beat the teams that have them.

I really hope you're not insinuating South Webster 'recruited' Waginger. South Webster has received less transfers than ANYONE in the SOC II for decades now, and typically it's kids moving out. There was an event at Ironton that made the Waginger family want to leave, he thought South Webster was the best opportunity to win a state title since they were already considered by some to be the favorites before he even came.

Waginger was a great kid and player, but many in the county believe the Jeeps may have possibly won it without him. Anyone who watched the team knows Aldridge was the stud, by a long shot. Kid was an animal! They also didn't have a single game within 38 points until the Regional Final, in which they still won by 13. The state semi-final game is the ONLY one that was won by single digits, before beating Columbus Grove in the final by 18 (was more than that until the subs came in).

Again, just hate to see the word "recruiting" for South Webster's team. We've lost 20+ ppg scorers several times over the years, and the 1 time a kid actually moves in it's "recruiting." It's just simply not true.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I love it how when the southeast district teams beat the central district it's because the central district was weak that year(s).
When the southeast district teams lose to the central district its because they don't schedule up and can't adjust to the speed and strength.

Trimble lost 55-47 last year to Africentric.
Trimble lost 63-57 this year to Africentric.

darn, had Trimble maybe played Pickerington and Harvest prep this year, they would have won that game last night ... SMH

Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

FYI- Trimble tried to get Afrcentric on the schedule this season. Actually thought we were going to get it done but in the end they decided not to schedule us. I don't know the reason but it would have been nice to get a few looks at them in the regular season. Maybe we can get them on in the future.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Africentric can only schedule 21 games, not the maximum 22, because the City League takes the winner of the N and S divisions for a championship game. Again, few non-league opportunities. I would say those they did schedule non-league were as good opportunity competition wise as Trimble.

Pops
Waterboy

Post by Pops »

Trimble has to take a timeout on the loose ball under the basket up 3 with a minute left.

H2O4RD
Freshman Team

Post by H2O4RD »

Sports24/7 wrote:That is a fair assessment about Trimble being good but not great...HOWEVER ,they are as homegrown as your going to get.Never a move in or transfer that has a huge impact in any sport.But they sure do churn out some ball players and outside of Glouster most love to see them lose....peroid.In my opinion,Trimble's league hurts them when it comes to games like this.You cannot simulate speed &strength whether it be basketball or football.No disrespect but it just does.That's why the MAC(Coldwater,Marion Local)schools win State championship after championship in about every sport because there league prepares them for competition.Anyway,Trimble is a GREAT small PUBLIC school....The envy of many...JMO
I tend to agree with what this guy is saying. The super group that Eastern had and that Waterford have in girls won in spite of the league schedule. At least when Eastern was good they had Waterford. Once this group of 10th graders cycle through I think the league will be perfect for Waterford.

Spud
Riding the Bench

Post by Spud »

Great job, Howie! See ya next winter!

PurplePower
Freshman Team

Post by PurplePower »

Spud wrote:Great job, Howie! See ya next winter!
Not if we have anything to say about it.
Come home, Howie!
Come home!

BEWARE OF THE STOMP AND STARE!

Return to “Boys Basketball”