Athens head coaching position

DogHoopFan
Waterboy

Re: Athens head coaching position

Post by DogHoopFan »

This is the worst decision ever. Coach Skinner was hand's down the best coach in SE Ohio over the past few years, No one has developed players over the past years like he has. Look at the number of college athletes that he has coached in the past. He had 6 go division 1 in basketball or football from recent teams. No one around here can say that. I think he just intimidated the new school administration like he did everyone else and they weren't secure enough to keep him around and made up a bunch of stuff and rumours to get rid of him.

He would have had two future D-1 guards playing for him this year -if they would have kept him with his coaching they would have made it to states,

Some school is going to snap him up and Athens is going to regret this move.

SEOALlives
Riding the Bench

Post by SEOALlives »

DogHoopFan wrote:This is the worst decision ever. Coach Skinner was hand's down the best coach in SE Ohio over the past few years, No one has developed players over the past years like he has. Look at the number of college athletes that he has coached in the past. He had 6 go division 1 in basketball or football from recent teams. No one around here can say that. I think he just intimidated the new school administration like he did everyone else and they weren't secure enough to keep him around and made up a bunch of stuff and rumours to get rid of him.

He would have had two future D-1 guards playing for him this year -if they would have kept him with his coaching they would have made it to states,

The only reasonable part of that post is that he had D1 athletes on the team. Yet every time he played Warren he got out coached so he was not the "best coach in SE Ohio over the past few years." Not many D1 athletes on those Warren teams that beat him. How about VC when they beat Athens did they have a bunch of D1 talent on those teams? He did not make them D1 players either, he was simply fortunate enough to have them in the program. One thing I can promise you is he did not "intimidate" the new superintendent at Athens.

DogHoopFan
Waterboy

Post by DogHoopFan »

All of those D1 players were shaped by his discipline and toughness, just ask those kids. He made them all hard nosed players and it helped them in football. And the Watson kid got a full ride in basketball at Michigan - I don't know of another basketball coach around here that has produced a Big 10 player

I don't know his exact record against Warren, but he lost some pretty close games and had some games where Warren kids just played out of their minds and shot the lights out. If the Watson and stewart kids hadn't got lured away to Pickerington, those teams would have been unreal. He got coach of the year in the TVC 3 times and was 112-47. That is impressive for a league as tough as the TVC

I don't know if he didn't inimidate the superintendent, but he always said that Athens couldn't get a fair shake with the refs because they didn't like having to face him on the sidelines. I always got a kick out of watching him go after them. I hope another school picks him up

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

DogHoopFan wrote:All of those D1 players were shaped by his discipline and toughness, just ask those kids. He made them all hard nosed players and it helped them in football. And the Watson kid got a full ride in basketball at Michigan - I don't know of another basketball coach around here that has produced a Big 10 player

I don't know his exact record against Warren, but he lost some pretty close games and had some games where Warren kids just played out of their minds and shot the lights out. If the Watson and stewart kids hadn't got lured away to Pickerington, those teams would have been unreal. He got coach of the year in the TVC 3 times and was 112-47. That is impressive for a league as tough as the TVC

I don't know if he didn't inimidate the superintendent, but he always said that Athens couldn't get a fair shake with the refs because they didn't like having to face him on the sidelines. I always got a kick out of watching him go after them. I hope another school picks him up
Wow! If he created all that "discipline and toughness" why did those players leave? I bet the football coach is sad to see him leave since he made all those football players tough. The TVC football coaches have to be rejoicing today since the toughness of the Athens football program has left the building.

What you got a kick out of, him "going after them," I'm sure is part of the reason he is gone. Chasing refs off the floor after losses, breaking windows, screaming at kids probably didn't fly too well at Athens. My guess is the new administration didn't want the head aches.

DogHoopFan
Waterboy

Post by DogHoopFan »

His toughness is just out of style, I guess. I'm sure the rest of the TVC is celebrating knowing that he is gone. I will bet one of those schools are already on the phone with him now.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

Delusions of Grandeur

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

DogHoopFan wrote:This is the worst decision ever. Coach Skinner was hand's down the best coach in SE Ohio over the past few years, No one has developed players over the past years like he has. Look at the number of college athletes that he has coached in the past. He had 6 go division 1 in basketball or football from recent teams. No one around here can say that. I think he just intimidated the new school administration like he did everyone else and they weren't secure enough to keep him around and made up a bunch of stuff and rumours to get rid of him.

Two future DI Guards???? Really, who might those be? I'll give you Lutz, but as of right now that still remains to be seen, but there isn't another DI guard on that team.

thebarlowbandit
All State

DogHoopFan wrote:All of those D1 players were shaped by his discipline and toughness, just ask those kids. He made them all hard nosed players and it helped them in football. And the Watson kid got a full ride in basketball at Michigan - I don't know of another basketball coach around here that has produced a Big 10 player

The Watson kid developed at Pickerington, not Athens and was offered after he spent time at Pickerington. If the development was so good in Athens, why did his mother move farther from her job so he could go to school there?

thebarlowbandit
All State

Dandy Don wrote:Delusions of Grandeur

+1

thebarlowbandit
All State

Stewart's father is the coach at UT-Martin (maybe Martin), not Pickerington. And he's a kid who never played at Athens, at least I don't remember him ever playing against us.

DogHoopFan
Waterboy

Post by DogHoopFan »

The Cozart kid is an AAU player that has been getting looks from colleges. Will be D-1 player, just watch out. He will explode this year. His dad was a college player and will probably get the coaching job at Athens if Skinner doesn't get it back (don't count Skinner out, he is a fighter and will fight to keep his job and has community support). Cozart has developed a successful AAU program from scratch.

Watson already had college offers when he was at Athens - Skinner deserves a lot of the credit for him. Skinner was always about the program down to the junior high. That is why he was able to reload every year.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

it didn't matter what school they were at, they were leaving for the occ. that league is a pipeline to the big ten. Ibi did get a lot stronger. How many high schools went after Burrow? It was a lot

thebarlowbandit
All State

DogHoopFan wrote:The Cozart kid is an AAU player that has been getting looks from colleges. Will be D-1 player, just watch out. He will explode this year. His dad was a college player and will probably get the coaching job at Athens if Skinner doesn't get it back (don't count Skinner out, he is a fighter and will fight to keep his job and has community support). Cozart has developed a successful AAU program from scratch.

Watson already had college offers when he was at Athens - Skinner deserves a lot of the credit for him. Skinner was always about the program down to the junior high. That is why he was able to reload every year.

I'll agree on many things, I know Jeff is well thought of, but I'll laugh in your face on Cozart being a DI player. And you make your case lower by claiming a team can't win a league title with two DI guards in SE Ohio. DI players are DI players and they standout early, and he doesn't in anyway.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

DogHoopFan wrote:The Cozart kid is an AAU player that has been getting looks from colleges. Will be D-1 player, just watch out. He will explode this year. His dad was a college player and will probably get the coaching job at Athens if Skinner doesn't get it back (don't count Skinner out, he is a fighter and will fight to keep his job and has community support). Cozart has developed a successful AAU program from scratch.

Just curious, what colleges?

Corso
Waterboy

Post by Corso »

I don't see Lutz as a D-1 player either but just my opinion. The dogs always get beat in big games. It was time for a move.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

"Per PrephoopsOhio, his top three choices right now are Belmont, Ball St. and Ohio. I'm not certain what order"

From bobcat attack for Lutz

thebarlowbandit
All State

Raider6309 wrote:"Per PrephoopsOhio, his top three choices right now are Belmont, Ball St. and Ohio. I'm not certain what order"

From bobcat attack for Lutz

Is there any sites that confirm he's been offered. See from time to time that a kids top choice doesn't equate with a teams top choice. I like Lutz, nice player, fun to watch. Raider do you see the Cozart kid as a DI player? You see him more than I do, but in my half dozen times, I just don't see that.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I didn't see Lutz as a D1 player as a sophomore, but I thought he made a huge leap forward and now I really want him to head to Wright State. He's definitely a legit D1 player right now.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

When I asked the which colleges question, I was referring to the Cozart kid.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

thebarlowbandit wrote:Is there any sites that confirm he's been offered. See from time to time that a kids top choice doesn't equate with a teams top choice. I like Lutz, nice player, fun to watch. Raider do you see the Cozart kid as a DI player? You see him more than I do, but in my half dozen times, I just don't see that.
No confirmed offers. Cozart is not D1. Just a good high school player. Hopefully he shoots more this year since he has a nice shot

The Lutz thread on bobcat attack
http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboar ... PID=177167

Return to “Boys Basketball”