D-II Official Results

datchillicav
JV Team

Re: D-II Official Results

Post by datchillicav »

theassassin wrote:
sparky wrote:i guess you can count a win over a good d4 win as a quality win when you are limited on other quality wins. shouldn't a strong d2 team beat a d4 team 8 or 9 times out of 10? when you put it on the board it is still a win over a d4 team? again what was athens breakdown against d1, d2, d3, and d4 teams?

are you going to tell me that last years oak hill team wouldnt have beat most teams in se ohio regardless of division?

They would have beaten EVERY D4 and most D3's but I bet they would have lost to over half of the D2 teams. That is no slight to them. There are divisions for a reason and they won theirs. Great team and great accomplishment.

Daniel Larusso wrote:
sparky wrote:i guess you can count a win over a good d4 win as a quality win when you are limited on other quality wins. shouldn't a strong d2 team beat a d4 team 8 or 9 times out of 10? when you put it on the board it is still a win over a d4 team? again what was athens breakdown against d1, d2, d3, and d4 teams?

Athens Schedule:

Division 1
Logan

Division 2
Vinton County*
Gallia Academy
Jackson
Sheridan
Morgan
Greenup County, KY

Division 3
Wellston*
Alexander*
Nelsonville*
Belpre*
Meigs*

Division 4
Eastern
Trimble

* denotes league game

Why does Athens, knowing they only have one like-sized school in their league, play 2 D4 schools non league?????? I don't care if that was D4 NBA prep academy. Why are they playing D4's that they are not forced to??? I really doubt that Athens makes it to the Convo and if they do I guarantee it will be a one and done.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

i would take that bet in a heartbeat chillicav...

you guarantee one and done if they make it to district???

seems like i have heard that said about vc in the past. they seem to have done alright in district play

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jordan knows what his team can do. We played one of our best games versus Chilly and for 3 1/2 qtrs were right behind them....but the final 4-6 minutes of the game they were still oh so fresh and our players were shot.....we were so tired they needed a fortunate bounce to avoid getting beat by Wellston teh next day.

Jordan knows how well we played that game and still lost by nearly 20...yeah maybe it was one of the Cavs better games.....but I agree completely with avoiding Chilly.....yeah Waverly might beat us by 30.....but they haven't played us and vice versa....but we have played teams with their abilities athleticallly...Ironton, Chilly and Portsmouth

Unless Jordan didn't know that he could maybe get a #5...he did the right thing IMO.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

datchillicav I really do respect your posts but reading them I sometimes wonder if you feel everyone is not worthy of even being in the tourney unless they are in the seoal or unless the team's names are Chilli, LE, Waverly or Warren. They are great well coached talented teams no doubt about it who all have a great chance of getting to the big dance but just because Athens is in the TVC don't diss on them for that fact alone. They are a great ballclub and are very deserving of a 2 seed. I would not want to play them as they have everything going for them right now-they are having a very magical season and sometimes at this time of the year that is just what you need. Plus, they are also very well coached.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

Ironman 92 how does Jackson feel about being bumped out of their sectional they have been in for years by LE? The whole thing appears pretty odd to me.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I've heard that some of Jackson's people are pretty ticked.....maybe even moreso on the girl's side...and then both the boys and the girls get stuck in the toughest part of each bracket to get out.

javon white
Freshman Team

Post by javon white »

Thanks I92. That was my guess. I think it stinks that LE was allowed to do this. Where will LE go next year? Unfortunately, I think the seeding process is now so out of control, that it should be done just like the football playoffs.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

javon white wrote:datchillicav I really do respect your posts but reading them I sometimes wonder if you feel everyone is not worthy of even being in the tourney unless they are in the seoal or unless the team's names are Chilli, LE, Waverly or Warren. They are great well coached talented teams no doubt about it who all have a great chance of getting to the big dance but just because Athens is in the TVC don't diss on them for that fact alone. They are a great ballclub and are very deserving of a 2 seed. I would not want to play them as they have everything going for them right now-they are having a very magical season and sometimes at this time of the year that is just what you need. Plus, they are also very well coached.

I respect your opinion and I in no way am disputing that they deserve the #2 seed. They clearly do and I think that I stated that before the draw on one of these threads. I feel though that the #1 thing that is in your control about how well you fair in the post season is your out of conference schedule. Every team has players that have a certain ability and coaches that have a certain ability. Who you play during the season determines what that collection of ability has seen and how they will respond to difficult situations. If team A and Team B have the exact same potential and coach but Team A plays a very difficult schedule and ends up 14-6 and Team B plays a cake schedule and ends up 19-1, I would take team A head to head. Athens(and I feel WCH in the other sectional) is a good team but has an inflated record. IMO, they would be better prepared for the postseason had they lost 2 games to D1 teams and learned how to fight against a better team and do the little things than by beating a smaller school. You cannot control the league you play in or the strength of it that year but you can control the OOC games. That is why I am perfetly content when Chilli loses to a Canton Timken by 9 or a Reynoldsburg by a few late free throws. They are learning and it will pay off come tourney time. That is why I am always confident when a 13-7 Chilli team plays a 18-2 VC or McClain or "insert school here" in the tourney.

P.S. I have seen Jackson a couple times this year and I don't know who they play in the first tourney game but they are a DANGEROUS team. IF they can put together 4 quarter in the same game they can give a team fits. Coach Jordan has done a tremendous job with them. 3 years ago they were one of the biggest jokes in all of SEO and now they are a very respectable tough team.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

I forgot to add that I like Hillsboro as my darkhorse to make some noise in the tourney. I doubt they make a huge run past an L.E. or anything like that but I would not be suprised if they upset WCH in the sectional and put a scare into whoever they play in the district.

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

datchillicav wrote:
javon white wrote:datchillicav I really do respect your posts but reading them I sometimes wonder if you feel everyone is not worthy of even being in the tourney unless they are in the seoal or unless the team's names are Chilli, LE, Waverly or Warren. They are great well coached talented teams no doubt about it who all have a great chance of getting to the big dance but just because Athens is in the TVC don't diss on them for that fact alone. They are a great ballclub and are very deserving of a 2 seed. I would not want to play them as they have everything going for them right now-they are having a very magical season and sometimes at this time of the year that is just what you need. Plus, they are also very well coached.

I respect your opinion and I in no way am disputing that they deserve the #2 seed. They clearly do and I think that I stated that before the draw on one of these threads. I feel though that the #1 thing that is in your control about how well you fair in the post season is your out of conference schedule. Every team has players that have a certain ability and coaches that have a certain ability. Who you play during the season determines what that collection of ability has seen and how they will respond to difficult situations. If team A and Team B have the exact same potential and coach but Team A plays a very difficult schedule and ends up 14-6 and Team B plays a cake schedule and ends up 19-1, I would take team A head to head. Athens(and I feel WCH in the other sectional) is a good team but has an inflated record. IMO, they would be better prepared for the postseason had they lost 2 games to D1 teams and learned how to fight against a better team and do the little things than by beating a smaller school. You cannot control the league you play in or the strength of it that year but you can control the OOC games. That is why I am perfetly content when Chilli loses to a Canton Timken by 9 or a Reynoldsburg by a few late free throws. They are learning and it will pay off come tourney time. That is why I am always confident when a 13-7 Chilli team plays a 18-2 VC or McClain or "insert school here" in the tourney.

P.S. I have seen Jackson a couple times this year and I don't know who they play in the first tourney game but they are a DANGEROUS team. IF they can put together 4 quarter in the same game they can give a team fits. Coach Jordan has done a tremendous job with them. 3 years ago they were one of the biggest jokes in all of SEO and now they are a very respectable tough team.

Totally agree!! Athens is one of the largest schools in southeastern Ohio, and plays pound 4 pound the softest schedule in southeastern Ohio. I do not understand why their fans act like someone shot their dog when someone questions how legitimate Athens is.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

hawkeyepierce wrote:Athens's quality wins are Vinton County twice, Greenup County Kentucky, and Eastern Meigs.

Logan Elm's quality wins are Chillicothe, Canal Winchester, and Zane Trace.

Warren's quality win is Chillicothe.

Vinton County's quality wins are John Glenn and Piketon

Sheridan none.

This is the top five seeds, this is my opinion.

You're missing some of Logan Elm's wins: Bloom Carrol would be a tough team in this district. Teays Valley is a D-1 school and LE won twice. They also beat Waverly.

Logan Elm moving sectionals most likely is politics, but teams can't worry about who is where just about what they can do. IMO

While I respect your opinion, I really don't buy Athens as the deserving #1 seed. Yes, Athens only has 1 loss. But their strength of schedule kills them and yes SOS means a lot. If you're used to playing teams with a lower level of talent, you're going to get beat by teams who're used to playing higher levels of talent.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson plays Waverly as Jackson did their all to avoid Chilly.....you guys saw us play a great game at home..but we just couldn't run with the Cavs.

Waverly will be a similar test.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

I'm sure politics are involved in who plays where and how the tournament is seeded each year. The western quarter of Hocking County goes to Logan Elm so Logan Elm playing tournament games in a county where they draw a decent number of students from isn't the most shocking thing in the world. I don't blame Jackson for being mad about having to switch sectionals but both schools have played at Logan and Southeastern in a couple of different periods each. LE and Jackson, for example, played a tourney game at Southeastern in 2005 I believe.

Logan Elm to Logan: 35 miles
Jackson to Logan: 45 miles

Logan Elm to Southeastern: 26 miles
Jackson to Southeastern: 23 miles

Frankly both should probably go to Southeastern but there has to be some balance between the two sectionals with just 18 schools being D2 in southeast Ohio so 1 goes to Logan and the other to Southeastern.

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

bman wrote:I'm sure politics are involved in who plays where and how the tournament is seeded each year. The western quarter of Hocking County goes to Logan Elm so Logan Elm playing tournament games in a county where they draw a decent number of students from isn't the most shocking thing in the world. I don't blame Jackson for being mad about having to switch sectionals but both schools have played at Logan and Southeastern in a couple of different periods each. LE and Jackson, for example, played a tourney game at Southeastern in 2005 I believe.

Logan Elm to Logan: 35 miles
Jackson to Logan: 45 miles

Logan Elm to Southeastern: 26 miles
Jackson to Southeastern: 23 miles

Frankly both should probably go to Southeastern but there has to be some balance between the two sectionals with just 18 schools being D2 in southeast Ohio so 1 goes to Logan and the other to Southeastern.

It shouldn't be done trying to do some of both(shortest distance, competetive balance). Do one or the other! If you truly want competetive balance then have one draw and seed 1 to 18. If you want shortest distance then do that. But do no gerrymandering! If you choose shortest distance, you still have the equalizer of having the final two teams in each half crossing over to play the other location in the semi-finals.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I should have never brought up the "quality wins" bullcrap. But everyone wants to be able to point to some specific standard as that is the end all to be all; however, in reality that is not always the case. In psychology these are called "heuristics" - especially in this case it is a representative heuristic which is essentially a mental shortcut whereby people classify something according to how similar it is to a typical case. Which does not make it right. Everyone wants to point to this so-called notion of strength of schedule, in reality it is our perceptions or our "representation" of which team may be better than the other, our "classification" given the "typical case" (basketball games won and lost). I have my opinion and it is obvious that not everyone agrees with me, and nor I with you. But I submit to you, these are athletically talented basketball teams that are well-coached and the DII district is full of them; Athens, Chillicothe, Hillsboro, Logan Elm, Warren, Washington Court House, Waverly, Vinton County. Can they win? Absolutely. Can they be beaten? Yes, definitely. However, what is amissed here, beyond the rhetoric of which team is better or best, they are kids and coaches doing their best to represent their fans, friends, family and their community at this wonderful time of the year. Let this nonsense go.

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

mhs, I'd rather seed the district 1-18 so you don't get one sectional overloaded like we have in the past, but travel is probably one of the concerns the district and its member schools have.

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

In Baseball you have teams from WCH and St Clairsville and Sheridan in the same sectional. Don't give me travel issues. Those games have to be played in daylight.lol

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

Daniel Larusso wrote:
datchillicav wrote:

Totally agree!! Athens is one of the largest schools in southeastern Ohio, and plays pound 4 pound the softest schedule in southeastern Ohio. I do not understand why their fans act like someone shot their dog when someone questions how legitimate Athens is.

I don't think any of the people defending Athens in this thread are Athens fans.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

yeah...it's the tournament....if they have to go across the district...so be it......it would be mor fair that way

blubomber89
Riding the Bench

Post by blubomber89 »

Mr. Karate Kid, Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that the size of the school has nothing to do with how well the basketball team does. Athens can have a team with no talent at all and it would have nothing to do with the school size. I wish people would stop using that as an excuse. And that's what it is an excuse, you put your best five on the court and see what happens. Either the school has talent or it doesn't no matter the size. Cause the teams Athens has played had the same size individuals or taller and the better team won that night. Just get off the size kick getting real old. They are TVC ohio champs well deserving whether anyone else likes it or not a group of good athletes and a good coach. Same players played last year and played some of the same teams and results were a lot different. Htey played the same teams and schedule while in the SEOAL playing TVC teams and lost. It is player dedication and good coaching that has made the turn around not the size of the school same players that I bet you thought weren't that good last year have just come into there own. So choose a betterreason that the size of the school.

Return to “Boys Basketball”