Lucasville Valley @ Minford

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Re: Lucasville Valley @ Minford

Post by CharlieHustle »

I may catch fury for this, but I know there are people who agree with me....but Shoemaker was outcoached by Rolfe tonight. I think Minford has the better talent player for player, but Valley just flat out hustles there butts off. There were many instances where Mknford would be watching the ball roll in front of them, then a Valley player coming out of nowhere and to dive on it. One occurred in the 4th, where Dunn came from the other side of the court, dived onto the ball then kicked it up for a layup. I didn't see much hustle out of Minford either in some of their players. McBee and Gullion are the only ones who I saw really "get after it". Minford doesn't seem to make defense a priority like Valley does, and that ended up losing them the game. It was dandy to watch though.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

Shoemaker the former portsmouth coach is the minford head coach ?

ohiostbucks99
Freshman Team

Post by ohiostbucks99 »

I think so

CharlieHustle
All Conference

Post by CharlieHustle »

ManitouDan wrote:Shoemaker the former portsmouth coach is the minford head coach ?
Yes, but he still teaches at Portsmouth.

WIFAN-22
Varsity

Post by WIFAN-22 »

Nice win for the young Valley team. This should make for a nice follow up game later on at Valley.

FarAwayFalcon
Varsity

Post by FarAwayFalcon »

Just can't miss that many shots down the stretch and beat good teams. Valley is a good team and will get better as the year goes on.
Minford just needs to learn and get better, don't hit the panic button there's plenty of basketball left to play.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

crab's brother/hoggy ... thanks for the game breakdown/napkin stats ... as I posted Minford & Valley will continue to get better as everyone gets into basketball shape ... especially tough on Valley as they have made the runs in football the last few years playing the likes of Ironton/Minford right out of the gate - look forward to following the development of this edition of the Indian "BIGS" ...

Alitown
Freshman Team

Post by Alitown »

scarlet_gray wrote:I may catch fury for this, but I know there are people who agree with me....but Shoemaker was outcoached by Rolfe tonight. I think Minford has the better talent player for player, but Valley just flat out hustles there butts off. There were many instances where Mknford would be watching the ball roll in front of them, then a Valley player coming out of nowhere and to dive on it. One occurred in the 4th, where Dunn came from the other side of the court, dived onto the ball then kicked it up for a layup. I didn't see much hustle out of Minford either in some of their players. McBee and Gullion are the only ones who I saw really "get after it". Minford doesn't seem to make defense a priority like Valley does, and that ended up losing them the game. It was dandy to watch though.
Shoemaker may have got out coached, but Rolfe is a fantastic coach and I don't think he always gets the credit he deserves. He also has to make a transition from football to basketball and doesn't get as much time to prepare like all of the other coaches. I think he is a key reason why valley has had a lot of success in football and he is proving himself as a basketball coach as well.

lrn4lf
Riding the Bench

Post by lrn4lf »

Shoemaker needs to sit back and let McBee do his thing! No stopping him! Let him carry the team and everyone else rack up the assists!

TheNatural
Riding the Bench

Post by TheNatural »

lrn4lf wrote:Shoemaker needs to sit back and let McBee do his thing! No stopping him! Let him carry the team and everyone else rack up the assists!
McBee is good and he is going to get his. He even had 30 on Friday and I don't remember him getting a rest. So I didn't see Shoe stopping him. But if they abandon everyone else, it will be long season. They have other capable players and it takes all 5 guys out there to win. One conference game in and already in panic mode.

SOCMAN05
Freshman Team

Post by SOCMAN05 »

It may not be time to hit the panic button yet , but to win the conference you absolutely cannot lose a conference home game . Now until Valley loses a conference game you have put yourself behind the eight ball . Valley has had 9 practices since the end of football and they are only going to get better ,not saying they are going to run the table but in this conference you better keep your losses to a minimum and beating Valley at Valley is'nt something that happens very often JMHO

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

scarlet_gray wrote:
ManitouDan wrote:Shoemaker the former portsmouth coach is the minford head coach ?
Yes, but he still teaches at Portsmouth.

so let me get this straight. He used to coach ptown, now coaches munferd. STILL teaches at Ptown? Didnt Minford get a tranfer from Portsmouth this year?? Interesting....

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

It is really simple. McBee or Stapleton need to be handling the ball when coming up the floor. Valley created turnover after turnover when Minford was bringing the ball up the floor if it was not McBee or Stapleton. Why the coach would continue letting a kid bring the ball up the floor when Valley was pressuring him into turnovers is beyond me.

McBee should be driving to the basket on almost every possession. If its open, take the shot. If not, he is great at getting it to a kid down low or kicking it back out for an open shot. But he should touch the ball every possession and try to get to the rim.

I also think that Valley just plain out hustled Minford. They crashed the boards harder than Minford, dove for loose balls and just flat out hustled them.

Congrats to Valley on the win. I am sure the rematch will be a great game.

Falcon Fury
Freshman Team

Post by Falcon Fury »

lrn4lf wrote:Coaching, coaching, coaching! McBee should be shooting 9 out of 10 shots. Stop passing so much. Best player on the floor and can carry us but needs to shoot more!
McBee had a terrific game (30 pts)! You can't rely on one player to do it all. When good teams focus on the main player (Valley did put some good D on McBee towards the end), someone else needs to step up. That's what makes a good team, having more than just one player to go to. Minford needs to get the ball to McCray more under the basket. McCray's a beast under the basket and I don't think there's any player in the SOC that can match up with him. Kenton Gullion is another go to player. Last year he shot the ball well. Cheer Minford on to success and quit bellyaching over one loss! Minford has a 22 game season! It's very evident that you have a problem with certain people. If it bothers you that much, maybe you should just stay home... :122245

Return to “Boys Basketball”