Tournament Time...Referees

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Tournament Time...Referees

Post by wobycat »

mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:16 am
wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:08 am What about when referees stare down players? I noticed that last night. I’m not a guy that yells at refs. It’s a hard job and I know that they’re going to miss some but I have seen officials watch players outside their zone especially impact players. Last night was no exception. I actually paid attention and the ref was looking straight at a particular player for several plays during the game. Maybe it was coincidence but it was noticeable as the other guy beside me saw it too.
No, it happens. My kid got a T last night for simply mumbling “that was a foul” under his breath while running up the court. Not even directing it to the official. Not saying it was ok to say but definitely shouldn’t have warranted a T in that type of game. He was warned early first qtr for shrugging his shoulders or something by an official which led me to believe that based off prior instances or someone putting a bug in the crews ear before game that he was being watched. At least that’s what the conspiracy theorist in me believes. Lol
Holden got one too last night. He said something to another kid but the other kid said something first. There should be a warning first but you can’t tee up one and not the other.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:08 am What about when referees stare down players? I noticed that last night. I’m not a guy that yells at refs. It’s a hard job and I know that they’re going to miss some but I have seen officials watch players outside their zone especially impact players. Last night was no exception. I actually paid attention and the ref was looking straight at a particular player for several plays during the game. Maybe it was coincidence but it was noticeable as the other guy beside me saw it too.
No, it happens. My kid got a T last night for simply mumbling “that was a foul” under his breath while running up the court. Not even directing it to the official. Not saying it was ok to say but definitely shouldn’t have warranted a T in that type of game. He was warned early first qtr for shrugging his shoulders or something by an official which led me to believe that based off prior instances or someone putting a bug in the crews ear before game that he was being watched. At least that’s what the conspiracy theorist in me believes. Lol
So let me get this straight, your son was warned once for showing up an official and acting out. He then acts out again and get's T'd and that's wrong? Some values of parenting you are preaching. His job is to play, not officiate and not coach. It's really that simple. And what does "that type of game" have to do with anything? If it's a foul its a foul! If it's a technical its a technical, just because it's a tournament game doesn't mean you can all the sudden act like an a$$. If what Baseball16 says that officials are being observed on their mechinics, positioning, rules knowledge and so forth, they they had better enforce such things if they want to move up. Just my $.02

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I have to side with the officials on this issue. And I don’t do that very often! Lol!!! Players that believe they are “entitled” to express their displeasure with officials are a sign of the Times. (Good Coaches do not tolerate that) There is no question that’s Officials miss calls. But to openly disrespect people of authority is a character flaw. I believe the stare down is the officials way of saying “This is your warning!” Of course if the official didn’t warn them and was to give them the technical they deserve than everybody would be complaining. “He is a special player! He deserves special treatment! Everybody picks on our kids! Everybody bring their best against us! We have to put up with so much!” Lol!!!!

thebarlowbandit
All State

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:36 am
Holden got one too last night. He said something to another kid but the other kid said something first. There should be a warning first but you can’t tee up one and not the other.
Sure you can, you simply put the whistle in your mouth, expel air from your lungs and then you make a "T" using both hands. Seems reading these threads this kid probably leads the State in T's, so I'd say he's a slow learner.

thebarlowbandit
All State

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:59 am I have to side with the officials on this issue. And I don’t do that very often! Lol!!! Players that believe they are “entitled” to express their displeasure with officials are a sign of the Times. (Good Coaches do not tolerate that) There is no question that’s Officials miss calls. But to openly disrespect people of authority is a character flaw. I believe the stare down is the officials way of saying “This is your warning!” Of course if the official didn’t warn them and was to give them the technical they deserve than everybody would be complaining. “He is a special player! He deserves special treatment! Everybody picks on our kids! Everybody bring their best against us! We have to put up with so much!” Lol!!!!

+1

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

football life wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:31 am What was the bench Technical for in the Athens LE game? After the Tech why was Cozart allowed to keep standing to coach and argue calls?
The only technical called last night was on an Athens player.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

If the technical was given to bench personnel (player or assistant)then the head coach loses his coaching box privilege.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

baseball16 wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:23 am If the technical was given to bench personnel (player or assistant)then the head coach loses his coaching box privilege.
Only technical given was to a player, on the floor, for a play that occurred during a rebound under the basket.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:01 am

Sure you can, you simply put the whistle in your mouth, expel air from your lungs and then you make a "T" using both hands. Seems reading these threads this kid probably leads the State in T's, so I'd say he's a slow learner.
Bull crap. You can if he’s the only offender. It’s been well documented that he gets more attention. I’ve heard it myself from a ref that they have come into the game with the notion that if he does one thing wrong, then he’s teed up. That’s poor if true. If you can’t be partial during the game don’t ref. If Holden earns four technicals during the game for running his mouth then so be it but you better t up any other kid that does the same thing.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

“Our kids get picked on!” Lol!!

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:59 am
So let me get this straight, your son was warned once for showing up an official and acting out. He then acts out again and get's T'd and that's wrong? Some values of parenting you are preaching. His job is to play, not officiate and not coach. It's really that simple. And what does "that type of game" have to do with anything? If it's a foul its a foul! If it's a technical its a technical, just because it's a tournament game doesn't mean you can all the sudden act like an a$$. If what Baseball16 says that officials are being observed on their mechinics, positioning, rules knowledge and so forth, they they had better enforce such things if they want to move up. Just my $.02
I wish officials shared your same views. Everyone knows officiating is different in the tournament. Right, wrong, or indifferent. If they are going to let the game get more physical they have to expect complaining from all sides and not be so quick to react to players and coaches. And you’re right about my parenting skills. Not great, but I’m doing the best I can and trying to get better so please grade me with a curve

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

mlittle wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:07 am
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:59 am

I wish officials shared your same views. Everyone knows officiating is different in the tournament. Right, wrong, or indifferent. If they are going to let the game get more physical they have to expect complaining from all sides and not be so quick to react to players and coaches. And you’re right about my parenting skills. Not great, but I’m doing the best I can and trying to get better so please grade me with a curve

That is what is sad about that officiating in the tournament. You might get a crew that won’t call anything and let the two teams beat the crap out of each other and then the next game that crew calls everything. Makes it difficult to play the game.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:36 am

Bull crap. You can if he’s the only offender. It’s been well documented that he gets more attention. I’ve heard it myself from a ref that they have come into the game with the notion that if he does one thing wrong, then he’s teed up. That’s poor if true. If you can’t be partial during the game don’t ref. If Holden earns four technicals during the game for running his mouth then so be it but you better t up any other kid that does the same thing.

Well said! He gets stared down every game. Bet he can’t wait to get to college where when you drive the lane and the defender tomahawks your arm it is called a foul!

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ItsMyOpinion wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:53 am “Our kids get picked on!” Lol!!
Why do people say that? I never said Holden didn’t deserve whatever he got but you can’t target him. That bush league and weak.

Furthermore, I’ve only mentioned one kid.

public_transport
Waterboy

Post by public_transport »

wobycat wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:41 am
Why do people say that? I never said Holden didn’t deserve whatever he got but you can’t target him. That bush league and weak.

Furthermore, I’ve only mentioned one kid.
It’s what trolls do.

Ed Ott
Varsity

Post by Ed Ott »

My complaint is that so for this tournament the style of game benefits the team that is not as good as basketball. I want to watch a basketball game, not football. It’s like nothing that isn’t under the basket is a foul but the slightest touch on lay ins are fouls. Thy are not calling much under as well but it’s very football like to me.

thebarlowbandit
All State

thebarlowbandit
All State

An awful lot of “if’s” in your post. Willing to bet no official ever told you they are looking to get a kid. If so tell us who. “If” true I’m sure you’d have called the assignor or the state. Just keep making excuses for poor behavior.

thebarlowbandit
All State

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:24 am

Well said! He gets stared down every game. Bet he can’t wait to get to college where when you drive the lane and the defender tomahawks your arm it is called a foul!
Good luck with that. College game more physical, and his petty intimidation game won’t work on those men. He will learn.

Bird Dog
All Conference

Post by Bird Dog »

Wait until they get beat and listen to it then.

Return to “Boys Basketball”