Can we please get rid of this rule

mlittle
SEOP

Re: Can we please get rid of this rule

Post by mlittle »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:38 pm
mikepike wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:59 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 pm

... I agree !!! Warren vs Waverly at Piketon back on Nov 30th ! BOTH teams were called for a technical for dunking in warm ups BOTH coaches had to SIT the entire game :roll: ... com'on man !!! let them play !!! let them dunk in warm ups !!!
Both teams were assessed a team foul. Coaches didn’t have to sit. Warrens coach was told to sit after complaining about everything...and I do mean everything!
Why did Coach Robertson have to sit the entire game as well ?
It’s in the written rule if a player gets a T in pregame for any reason the coach loses the box for the entire game and has to remain seated

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

mikepike wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:59 pm
pfloyd wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:52 pm
mlittle wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:42 pm What is the purpose of the technical foul for dunking in warmups once the refs come out?
... I agree !!! Warren vs Waverly at Piketon back on Nov 30th ! BOTH teams were called for a technical for dunking in warm ups BOTH coaches had to SIT the entire game :roll: ... com'on man !!! let them play !!! let them dunk in warm ups !!!
Both teams were assessed a team foul. Coaches didn’t have to sit. Warrens coach was told to sit after complaining about everything...and I do mean everything!
They both sat from the tip.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

My mistake. I spoke to the officials before the game about the technicals, and heard them discussing the situation with both coaches. I didn’t hear them say the coaches had to sit. I guess that’s a good reason for coaches to curtail the dunking, huh?

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... my final answer has nothing to do whether kids should follow the rule - it's a rule so yes ... my answer to the intended question is that "yes" we should get rid of the rule as it serves no real purpose anymore ...if you can dunk - dunk 'em ... before the game or during the game makes no difference ...
Last edited by pfloyd on Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

pfloyd wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:54 pm ... my final answer has nothing to do whether kids should follow the rule - it's a rule so yes ... my answer the intended question is that "yes" we should get rid of the rule as it serves not real purpose anymore ...if you can dunk - dunk 'em ... before the game or during the game makes not difference ...
Amen

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Can anyone here state what the actual purpose of the rule is for? If so can you still say the rule is outdated?

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Pol pot wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:12 pm Can anyone here state what the actual purpose of the rule is for? If so can you still say the rule is outdated?
I have two guesses: not to break the backboard* or to prevent a kid possibly landing on his neck.

*There was a St Xavier game earlier this season where the backboard shattered on the first bucket (a dunk) of the game.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Pol pot wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:12 pm Can anyone here state what the actual purpose of the rule is for? If so can you still say the rule is outdated?
For injuries and damage to rims/backboards

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Raider6309 wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:41 pm
For injuries and damage to rims/backboards
This is correct but I think we can all agree it’s out dated

E High
All State

Post by E High »

You would get 50 dunks in pregame and 2 in the real game. Much greater chance to lose a backboard in pregame. Do the Math. Fans love the pregame but it’s about the game not the pregame show

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

E High wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:40 am You would get 50 dunks in pregame and 2 in the real game. Much greater chance to lose a backboard in pregame. Do the Math. Fans love the pregame but it’s about the game not the pregame show
Bingo! Has zero to do with injury! However, if that backboard or rim is broken in warmups with a bunch of non-sense, who’s paying for the backboard? Who’s refunding all the tickets because the game is now not being played. High Schools do not just have extra backboards and rims laying around, and yes, rims do break, get bent or knocked out of whack.

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:00 pm
E High wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:40 am You would get 50 dunks in pregame and 2 in the real game. Much greater chance to lose a backboard in pregame. Do the Math. Fans love the pregame but it’s about the game not the pregame show
Bingo! Has zero to do with injury! However, if that backboard or rim is broken in warmups with a bunch of non-sense, who’s paying for the backboard? Who’s refunding all the tickets because the game is now not being played. High Schools do not just have extra backboards and rims laying around, and yes, rims do break, get bent or knocked out of whack.
If this was the case the ohsaa would leave it up to the school to enforce the rule.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

mlittle wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:01 pm
Pol pot wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:00 pm
If this was the case the ohsaa would leave it up to the school to enforce the rule.
It does get some looks and sends some chills, when you go into the gymnasium and you hear that thump as someone is slamming one down. Your thinking WOW! Is MJ in the house!!!

E High
All State

Post by E High »

How about teams get better and play good basketball ? That should be the thrill of going to a game, not a sideshow

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

E High wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:20 pm How about teams get better and play good basketball ? That should be the thrill of going to a game, not a sideshow
I’m sure you thought the same thing when you seen the first player do a crossover dribble or dare I say it a behind the back dribble. I bet you’re not a big fan of the Euro step are you?

E High
All State

Post by E High »

Really dude. Grow up. It’s high school basketball. If you want a sh@t show. Go to an NBA game. Pay the big bucks to watch a clown show for many of those !

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

E High wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:50 pm Really dude. Grow up. It’s high school basketball. If you want a sh@t show. Go to an NBA game. Pay the big bucks to watch a clown show for many of those !
Yea dude, really. I never posted anything anywhere about allowing dunking in pregame for the show. I couldn’t care less. I just think it’s silly you can’t dunk in pregame but can in the game. It literally makes no sense what so ever. Some people are just afraid of change and I think you are just one of those people. Some people really don’t understand why the rule was put in to place and most would agree it’s an out dated rule. But there will always be people hanging on to old rules just for the sake of hanging on to them. You really can’t make a valid point as to why it’s still in place. All you can argue is you don’t wanna watch the clown show.

1. Tons of kids are dunking now. It’s normal and ok just accept it because it’s part of the game.

2. All rims are breakaway. Not many if any are big and strong enough to pull one off the backboard.

3. Kids get injured in practice ALL the time and I believe there has been kids THIS year get injured in warmups not dunking.

Serious question. The NBA allows players to dunk in pregame because they are smart and realize it only makes sense to let them if they’re gonna allow it in games anyway. There aren’t any rims on the planet that get abused more than rims in the NBA. Dunk after dunk after dunk from the most powerful athletes on the planet day after day game after game. When is the last time anyone’s heard of one breaking in warmups ??

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

The only real reason the rule was implemented was because once upon a time it was deemed bad sportsmanship. One of the dumbest, nonsense rules ever made.

Towpath1
Waterboy

Post by Towpath1 »

I hate the rule think it needs changed just my opinion let the kids have fun

Seopnation
Freshman Team

Post by Seopnation »

just adding to the conversation. I still stand by my initial statement that the rule is outdated:

FOR the Rule: Lets say there's 12 kids on each team. 1/3 of them can dunk. Another 1/3 think they can dunk but really just grab the rim. If you go normal 2-line drills for 15 min warmups, and each kid gets 1.5 attemps per minute (guessing based on the amount of time it takes a kid to get through both lines). That's 360 chances that the rim/backboard could be damaged. Now compare that to a regular 32 minute game where there may be 2-3 chances at MAX for a kid to throw one down.

AGAINST the Rule: Since the inception of the break-a-way rims in the NBA, there has been next to no backboard or rims broken. The chances of a high school aged (and weight/strengthend) kid being able to break a rim or backboard is next to none. It also adds an excitement factor to the games which could potentially draw in more fans and $$$.

Return to “Boys Basketball”