New score boards at the convo

Bulldog84
All Conference

Re: New score boards at the convo

Post by Bulldog84 »

I guess I’m a little different than most! I just enjoy watching the games, I’m not to worried about the stats and a pflyod image on the screen.

Stop making excuses and start making things happen!
biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I was about to mention before the post above , maybe ohsaa is the one to complain , THEY are the one paying big bucks to use the convocation center maybe they are the one that can make it happen , I'm wondering if THEY made a deal not to pay for the extra out to cut fund seeing how this student is saying it's out of O U s hands

TheMarchingCavalier
Waterboy

Post by TheMarchingCavalier »

If I were an unbiased party in this situation, I would go to the suits at the OHSAA first. IIRC they are the ones that selected the people running operations at the Convo for the tournament. Not sure how effective complaining to OU folks will be, but it might motivate them to give more opportunities to us to run these types of events. I am of the opinion that the huge platform of the Convo is awesome for the kids on the court and that takes precedence over everything. I would rather take the big fancy screen down if it means more focus on the players.

Marching Band is a real sport!
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hopefully it’s not a pissing match of sorts and we lose the Convo as our district basketball site.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Agreed

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

ttt

mhs95_06
S

Post by mhs95_06 »

Ironman92 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:27 pm Hopefully it’s not a pissing match of sorts and we lose the Convo as our district basketball site.
Yes, be careful with possibly losing the great venue. How would people feel about raising the tickets by a dollar or parking to $10 to pay for the technical support for the scoreboard?

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

TheMarchingCavalier wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm Alright guys, I know that I'm new here, but I am an OU student and I have worked in the Convo for television production. The students run the scoreboard and jumbotron for all OU events, we do not control OHSAA events, such as the tourney. This problem is *mostly* outside of OU's control and all attention/complaints should be directed at the OHSAA or whoever else is in charge. I can vouch for the good work that myself and the rest of my classmates do for the 'Cats and I am disappointed that your experience for H.S. basketball is lackluster. Just whatever you do, make sure that the kids don't suffer for what is essentially a technical difficulty. I will be happy to answer any questions that I can about how the new system works in the Convo. Cheers!
I bet you that 93Bulldog could get you on the Sportsfan 970 with the people who put the event on to go over facts, financials and staffing of the decision. 93 knows that person and I bet he could arrange that. Wednesday night.
Last edited by Pol pot on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

mhs95_06 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:14 am
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:27 pm Hopefully it’s not a pissing match of sorts and we lose the Convo as our district basketball site.
Yes, be careful with possibly losing the great venue. How would people feel about raising the tickets by a dollar or parking to $10 to pay for the technical support for the scoreboard?
I am willing to bet this is NOT a money issue
Last edited by Pol pot on Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

TheMarchingCavalier wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:32 pm Alright guys, I know that I'm new here, but I am an OU student and I have worked in the Convo for television production. The students run the scoreboard and jumbotron for all OU events, we do not control OHSAA events, such as the tourney. This problem is *mostly* outside of OU's control and all attention/complaints should be directed at the OHSAA or whoever else is in charge. I can vouch for the good work that myself and the rest of my classmates do for the 'Cats and I am disappointed that your experience for H.S. basketball is lackluster. Just whatever you do, make sure that the kids don't suffer for what is essentially a technical difficulty. I will be happy to answer any questions that I can about how the new system works in the Convo. Cheers!
The issue is about how all graphics were removed, not about the tv production. Graphics that have existed for 40 years and used last year on the current boards are gone. PFloyd, LucasDavenport, TrojanDave and many others, like myself spend good money and attend every game, they can attest that these graphics and functions existed for decades and even last year with the new boards, and are suddenly gone, and you say it’s the renters fault. Again, 93Dog would welcome you to his show. I bet if he the folks in charge of the tournament would be more than willing to hire someone like you, Feel free to apply.
Last edited by Pol pot on Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

TheMarchingCavalier wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:05 pm If I were an unbiased party in this situation, I would go to the suits at the OHSAA first. IIRC they are the ones that selected the people running operations at the Convo for the tournament. Not sure how effective complaining to OU folks will be, but it might motivate them to give more opportunities to us to run these types of events. I am of the opinion that the huge platform of the Convo is awesome for the kids on the court and that takes precedence over everything. I would rather take the big fancy screen down if it means more focus on the players.
FYI those same people were running the event since before you were born, and like Ohio Athletics has used students, GA's, Interns and outside people, so has the tournaments, the staffing is available I would bet. Make some sense and then come back to the adult table.
Last edited by Pol pot on Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Bulldog93, what do you say, TheMarchingCaviler on the Sportsfan with your contacts at the tournament, Wednesday night to discuss the details. End the internet wars and prevent this from becoming a thread like did the official T the fan or a player.

Realist
Freshman Team

Post by Realist »

Is it a software issue? Perhaps the graphics that worked in the past used a different type of technology that isn't compatible with the new boards? I would say eventually it will be figured out. I have heard the new boards are a pretty intense set up and is a lot for just any "Joe Schmo" to run.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:53 am Bulldog93, what do you say, TheMarchingCaviler on the Sportsfan with your contacts at the tournament, Wednesday night to discuss the details. End the internet wars and prevent this from becoming a thread like did the official T the fan or a player.
Sure! Absolutely.

I have no idea who MarchingCaviler is, but they are more than welcome to come on Wednesday at 6:00. I'm sure I could get someone from the OHSAA/district board to join.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Lol

100% not about money

Bulldog84
All Conference

Post by Bulldog84 »

I really don’t see the issue. Just go watch the games! It is still a really enjoyable time.

Stop making excuses and start making things happen!
bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

So after catching up on the thread we still don't seem to have a set-in-stone answer as to why... 'technical issues', 'nobody to run it,' 'not about money,' 'more so the OHSAA's fault."

Can someone give me the exact answer as to why the scoreboards are 100% not showing the other valuable information? Because right now I feel like we're all just getting the run around with out any real answer.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
bball30
Freshman Team

Post by bball30 »

Pol pot wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:30 am
TheMarchingCavalier wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:05 pm If I were an unbiased party in this situation, I would go to the suits at the OHSAA first. IIRC they are the ones that selected the people running operations at the Convo for the tournament. Not sure how effective complaining to OU folks will be, but it might motivate them to give more opportunities to us to run these types of events. I am of the opinion that the huge platform of the Convo is awesome for the kids on the court and that takes precedence over everything. I would rather take the big fancy screen down if it means more focus on the players.
FYI those same people were running the event since before you were born, and like Ohio Athletics has used students, GA's, Interns and outside people, so has the tournaments, the staffing is available I would bet. Make some sense and then come back to the adult table.
Yep......this was a decision made in the Convo high offices not by the students who have successfully worked this event for decades. Perhaps, you should check there and then post.

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Have the scoreboard or don’t have it. I don’t care. Been going to these games for years. I go for the games. The graphics mean nothing to me. But I will tell ya what does matter. I don’t want to sit my big ole butt down on a poop smeared toilet seat. Can I get an amen?

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Orestes'
Freshman Team

Post by Orestes' »

Howard Cosell wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:10 pm Have the scoreboard or don’t have it. I don’t care. Been going to these games for years. I go for the games. The graphics mean nothing to me. But I will tell ya what does matter. I don’t want to sit my big ole butt down on a poop smeared toilet seat. Can I get an amen?
Amen! I read where that Pete Boy sat in it. From what it read he still had it on him the next day. :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”