Waverly final 4 thread.

bbjunky81
SEO

Re: Waverly final 4 thread.

Post by bbjunky81 »

I watched most of the Gilmour film from last game and my initial thoughts are...

- How in THE WORLD was St. Mary's an Elite 8 team?!? They have a big kid verballed to OSU but I can't see him playing there... wayyyyyy too slow. Their guards were really really bad. Gilmour could have won that game by 40.

- Gilmour is very good. Quick, athletic, and can shoot it. Kids seem to be in the right positions and make the right passes. Lots of length but luckily Waverly just saw that against Heath. Should be a fun game.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:49 pm I watched most of the Gilmour film from last game and my initial thoughts are...

- How in THE WORLD was St. Mary's an Elite 8 team?!? They have a big kid verballed to OSU but I can't see him playing there... wayyyyyy too slow. Their guards were really really bad. Gilmour could have won that game by 40.

- Gilmour is very good. Quick, athletic, and can shoot it. Kids seem to be in the right positions and make the right passes. Lots of length but luckily Waverly just saw that against Heath. Should be a fun game.
I agree. Gilmour is tough.

At this stage, Waverly is going against legit contenders. But that’s to be expected. I think Waverly needs a high production point wise out of their “2” guard spot to have a good shot. I don’t think futhey and tre will be enough

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

BigGuy10 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:47 pm
smurray wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:12 pm Too many people trying to purchase tickets at the same time and kicking people off. The issue I’m sure is assigned seats and folks selecting the same seats as others.
Doesn't help the middle 8 sections (2 lower and 2 mid level on each side) weren't even listed available to purchase. I assume they're reserved for families, Admins, scouts etc

I kinda hate that they're shoving you in the corner or behind the basket for a seat but I got ours bought and extremely excited!! Waverly fans WIPED OUT a bunch of tickets early!! Love seeing us get all the support. Go Tigers!
Ya, not sure how many tickets blocked out for all that. I do know anyone could have went on and bought “All Session” tickets way before today and some of those seats are no doubt in those sections you are referring to. Those were at a price though. Many people buy those without even knowing or care who will be playing.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

All the important people of ohsaa and big shots always get first dibs on premium seats ,half time no one is even sitting in them ,like posted you can get them for the right $$

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

By the way good luck to waverly, no reason yiu can't win it all , Coach Robertson is a great coach we have sit with him and many games and we scrimmage them every year ,trojandave told him at our scrimmage before the first season game was played he expected them to be here .....good luck !!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Everyone welcome to come out to support the Tigers
Everyone welcome to come out to support the Tigers

FIDO
S

Post by FIDO »

Just play your game! You don't need advice. Do what you did to get here, only better, and that's all you can ask of yourself.

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Best wishes to the Waverly Tigers!

TheIronBoy
Waterboy

Post by TheIronBoy »

Waverly has a chance in this game. No chance they have a prayer against SVSM. Let's bring ourselves back to reality.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

There's not a bad seat in UD Arena. Being in the corners will be fine.

oldschoolqb13
Varsity

Post by oldschoolqb13 »

TheIronBoy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:30 pm Waverly has a chance in this game. No chance they have a prayer against SVSM. Let's bring ourselves back to reality.
Bring yourself back to reality, boss. Nobody is saying anything about St. Vincent St. Mary. We don't play them, so who cares what we would do against them.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bbjunky81 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:49 pm I watched most of the Gilmour film from last game and my initial thoughts are...

Not good to hear about the OSU recruit, but he should fit in just fine with Holtmann's mid-pack Big 10 finishes and one-and-done NCAA tourney appearances*

NBTiger1
Waterboy

Post by NBTiger1 »

God luck Waverly tigers from a New Boston Tiger fan win it all

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

93Bulldog wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:25 am
Jason Vorhees wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:46 pm Teams to make the State Championship from SE Ohio:

1930: Rome (Fairland)-Class B State Runner Up
1931: Portsmouth-Class A State Champion
1933: Marietta-Class A State Runner Up
1934: Portsmouth-Class A State Runner Up
Waterloo (Symmes Valley)-Class B State Champion
1935: Waterloo (Symmes Valley)-Class B State Champion
1952: Nelsonville- Class B State Runner Up
1961: Portsmouth- Class A State Champion
1978: Portsmouth- Class AA State Champion
1980: Portsmouth - Class AA State Runner Up
1982: Southern Meigs- Class A State Runner Up
1984: Wheelersburg- Class AA State Runner Up
1988: Portsmouth- D2 State Champion
1990: Portsmouth- D2 State Runner Up
1991: Unioto- D3 State Runner Up
1993: Belpre- D3 State Runner Up
1995: Wheelersburg- D3 State Runner Up
2005: Ironton- D3 State Runner Up
2006: South Webster- D4 State Champion
2008: Chillicothe- D2 State Champion
2009: Oak Hill- D4 State Champion
2012: Portsmouth- D3 State Runner Up

Just don’t be satisfied with going there, Waverly.
Shock the State and win it.
I posted this elsewhere and somebody mentioned Corning in the 40's and Shawnee in 1938

Both would be considered Miller now. Perry County, Southeast district.

I’ll have to check about Corning and Shawnee. I know that they both made the State Tournament but I’ll have to check about state Championship appearances.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Good Luck Waverly!

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Waverly can win this game. I believe it is going to be a battle tho.

Only have watched one game of Gilmour so far and that was the St. Mary’s game. St. Mary’s simply did not seem like a very good team. Obviously they must be decent to get to that point, but not impressive at all. Their guard play was below average IMO, their big was pretty solid. I think Waverly will give Gilmour a much tougher matchup.

Guard play will be interesting. Both teams have guards who are quick and athletic, won’t be a big height discrepancy like there was with Heath. I may give the edge to Waverly in that department simply because Trey is that good.

Forward play I think could be an area where Waverly may find problems. Rose #23 6’3 and is averaging 24 ppg in the tourney. He is quick and Uber athletic and can shoot the three. Will be curious to see who defends him.

Big boy play will be a war between Mueller #13 6’7 and Will Futhey. Will will need another big night for the Tigers to come out on top. I expect him to step up and do that just like he has the whole tournament.

Just like any other big game waverly has played in, it will come down to others making big plays in big moments who aren’t named Trey and Will. Whether that is scoring, getting stops, rebounding, or creating turnovers. Lately Braylon has stepped up by hitting shots and playing great defense. Hudson also played really well in the Heath game when he was in. Would love to see Wade get hot, he has struggled getting them to fall recently and if he can find it early it could change the game.

BigGuy10
Varsity

Post by BigGuy10 »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:38 pm Waverly can win this game. I believe it is going to be a battle tho.

Only have watched one game of Gilmour so far and that was the St. Mary’s game. St. Mary’s simply did not seem like a very good team. Obviously they must be decent to get to that point, but not impressive at all. Their guard play was below average IMO, their big was pretty solid. I think Waverly will give Gilmour a much tougher matchup.

Guard play will be interesting. Both teams have guards who are quick and athletic, won’t be a big height discrepancy like there was with Heath. I may give the edge to Waverly in that department simply because Trey is that good.

Forward play I think could be an area where Waverly may find problems. Rose #23 6’3 and is averaging 24 ppg in the tourney. He is quick and Uber athletic and can shoot the three. Will be curious to see who defends him.

Big boy play will be a war between Mueller #13 6’7 and Will Futhey. Will will need another big night for the Tigers to come out on top. I expect him to step up and do that just like he has the whole tournament.

Just like any other big game waverly has played in, it will come down to others making big plays in big moments who aren’t named Trey and Will. Whether that is scoring, getting stops, rebounding, or creating turnovers. Lately Braylon has stepped up by hitting shots and playing great defense. Hudson also played really well in the Heath game when he was in. Would love to see Wade get hot, he has struggled getting them to fall recently and if he can find it early it could change the game.
Very nice analysis! I am about to go watch their previous game as well just to see some of their stuff. I believe Trey and Will will still get their points and contributions but I agree on having others step up in different ways. Braylon can shoot and plays that in your face defense style which if done correctly, can cause issues for the opponent. Penn coming off the bench to crash the boards will only help us also. Hudson is quiet, last game he had 8 points and they just kinda happened and that is big to have. He can also help crash the boards! I briefly in passing talked to Wade the other day and told him "keep shooting it brother they're all right there, eventually they'll fall, keep your head up!!"

This is an awesome team and group of guys. No doubt in my mind they'll compete and work their butts off!! Time to make some noise Tigers

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:38 pm Waverly can win this game. I believe it is going to be a battle tho.

Also, St. Mary’s defense seemed tp be the opposite of what GA will see Friday. They sat back in a zone most of the first half and GA was lighting it up from 3 point land, they did eventually switch to man and seemed to switch everything on screens and didn’t attempt to fight through them. St. Mary’s did not apply much pressure on the perimeter at all. Will be curious to see how GA responds to Waverly’s pressure and intensity on D.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MasterOfNone wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:35 pm

Also, St. Mary’s defense seemed tp be the opposite of what GA will see Friday. They sat back in a zone most of the first half and GA was lighting it up from 3 point land, they did eventually switch to man and seemed to switch everything on screens and didn’t attempt to fight through them. St. Mary’s did not apply much pressure on the perimeter at all. Will be curious to see how GA responds to Waverly’s pressure and intensity on D.
Correct but if you read what Gilmour's coach said about the game they were simply hitting shots that night they weren't hitting early in the tourney. He also said St. Mary's is a very tough zone defense and that's what they rely on but when they hit the shots it forced them to go to man to man which they're not comfortable with. So I wouldn't exactly go writing off St. Mary's defense entirely, Gilmour hit some shots and was doing a lot of dribble drive and then kicking it out to the open guy. Waverly will need to watch it because Gilmour has a bit more speed across the board and they struggled with that at times against Heath. Good Luck to the Tigers it's been an awesome run and we all hope you keep it going.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TheIronBoy wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:30 pm Waverly has a chance in this game. No chance they have a prayer against SVSM. Let's bring ourselves back to reality.
I think they're playing GA, you must've missed the part where absolutely no one was talking about the title game which is the reality of it.

Return to “Boys Basketball”