12/20/22 Minford @ SW

Lovehoops1
Freshman Team

Re: 12/20/22 Minford @ SW

Post by Lovehoops1 »

When I got to the game tonight I had a feeling. I think it was pretty simple really. Minford is just tougher and had some dawg in them. SOC 2 race is over, now who wants 2nd?

GoAt 10
JV Team

Post by GoAt 10 »

Was very very sad to see the effort and attitude displayed by what SHOULD be the best player in SEO. However the 5’9 guard from Minford who focuses on team ball and works extremely hard is consuming that role in the area. SW needs a change at the top IMO, but I was very happy to see the coach bench the said player the final 10-12 minutes of the game. He didn’t deserve to be out there and the guys who played the final quarter should start the next game. They had the energy and effort it takes to win.

Jeeps still a district final team.

Minford on their way to a league championship and hopefully their first district win in over 25 years.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

GoAt 10 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:31 pm Was very very sad to see the effort and attitude displayed by what SHOULD be the best player in SEO. However the 5’9 guard from Minford who focuses on team ball and works extremely hard is consuming that role in the area. SW needs a change at the top IMO, but I was very happy to see the coach bench the said player the final 10-12 minutes of the game. He didn’t deserve to be out there and the guys who played the final quarter should start the next game. They had the energy and effort it takes to win.

Minford on their way to a league championship and hopefully their first district win in over 25 years.
Makes sense now why he sat most of the second half.

I was tuning in and out and missed a lot of game, so I didn’t see a lot of it. But I did watch Jeeps against Chesapeake on Saturday and was disappointed by the constant complaining to refs; jawing with other team; and even yapping at opposing fans I watched from a few of Webster’s players. They better clean that stuff up quick...no excuse for it.*

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

art_vandelay wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:40 pm
GoAt 10 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:31 pm Was very very sad to see the effort and attitude displayed by what SHOULD be the best player in SEO. However the 5’9 guard from Minford who focuses on team ball and works extremely hard is consuming that role in the area. SW needs a change at the top IMO, but I was very happy to see the coach bench the said player the final 10-12 minutes of the game. He didn’t deserve to be out there and the guys who played the final quarter should start the next game. They had the energy and effort it takes to win.

Makes sense now why he sat most of the second half.

I was tuning in and out and missed a lot of game, so I didn’t see a lot of it. But I did watch Jeeps against Chesapeake on Saturday and was disappointed by the constant complaining to refs; jawing with other team; and even yapping at opposing fans I watched from a few of Webster’s players. They better clean that stuff up quick...no excuse for it.*

They won’t. It’s been an issue Cole’s entire tenure. No control in the locker room or on the court.

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

He's always had that attitude and lack of effort it's why he's not even close to being the best player in SEO. He's too busy standing outside, trying to wait and cherry pick, doesn't rebound and doesn't play defense against any other big. Best player in SEO that everyone should've known going into this season with T. Robertson graduating was Montgomery it's why I said at the beginning of the season SOC2 belonged to Minford for the next 3 years. The shocker for the night has to be Eastern topping Valley

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

Eastern beating Valley isn’t a surprise. South Webster should have beat Vally. I watched that game. Nothing special about Valley. The players reflect the leadership. I don’t blame any player for their attitude or play. They play in games the way they are taught in practice. Bobby Knight once said what the kids get away with in games is what they are allowed to get away with in practice.
I have kept my mouth shut about what I think of the coaching, but no more. It is sub-par. There is a chance to do something special again with the freshmen and sophomores. But there has to be a change to get it done.
But, I am in no position to influence any change. I just hope the powers that be are willing to take a hard look and make a change for the future before it’s too late.

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

jeep80 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:45 pm Eastern beating Valley isn’t a surprise. South Webster should have beat Vally. I watched that game. Nothing special about Valley. The players reflect the leadership. I don’t blame any player for their attitude or play. They play in games the way they are taught in practice. Bobby Knight once said what the kids get away with in games is what they are allowed to get away with in practice.
I have kept my mouth shut about what I think of the coaching, but no more. It is sub-par. There is a chance to do something special again with the freshmen and sophomores. But there has to be a change to get it done.
But, I am in no position to influence any change. I just hope the powers that be are willing to take a hard look and make a change for the future before it’s too late.
Nice write-up before our game against SW spoke with a few different fans and they all basically felt this same way. It's a shame because like you said SW has the capability to be special over the next 3 years.

tonylip
Waterboy

Post by tonylip »

Should have been a good matchup of two talented teams, but ended up being Montgomery and his teammates absolutely putting on a show from the second quarter and on.
Montgomery was everywhere, but what is more evident is that his entire team follows his lead and plays as hard as him. He is a leader and his energy is contagious. I don’t know if it was conditioning or toughness, but Minford played better/harder as the game progressed and SW and their talented sophomore lasted a quarter and a half.
Two takeaways:
1- If games are won on playing hard and toughness, Minford is at the top. Just hard nosed kids that compete and battle.
2- SW is just as talented as Minford, but need to realize that they were completely out worked/outclassed. This could be the turning point if they really want to get better. It could also be the breaking point if they don’t get it fixed immediately.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

tonylip wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:07 am
2- SW is just as talented as Minford, but need to realize that they were completely out worked/outclassed. This could be the turning point if they really want to get better. It could also be the breaking point if they don’t get it fixed immediately.
The Jeeps have some players!! They are strong and physical. But they have no identity. All great teams have an identity.
Pass two or three times then chunk a three is not basketball. Roberts is almost unstoppable underneath. Utilize that. Enough of the three point garbage. Work the ball in to your studs and get the easy layups or at least a foul and free throws. Keep the other team in foul trouble. Play the game! Don’t let the game play you.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

I just want to reiterate that I think the kids are great!! Any attitude issues or execution issues are on the coach. My brother was with me Friday night- he rarely goes to games anymore - and he had the same opinion I had after watching for the first time In several years.
I love my school and our sports programs. They deserve the best. So let’s try to get them the best leadership we can. I’ll probably offend someone, but it had to be said.
I have nothing but the best intentions for the kids.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

You put the jersey on, you represent the village. Period.

For a team with mid D4 numbers and us wanting to stay in the big boy league next year, this is unacceptable. We’ve squandered away Blevins/Bockway, Trae Zimmerman and Company, and now looks like Shupert/Roberts/Barnard will be wasted too. Sure we’ll make it to the convo this year, but Fairfield will beat us by 40 on the big stage because we’re quitters plain and simple.

I’ll say too Roberts would score 25 a game if he’d play in the post instead of chucking up 10 threes a game. Shot mechanics are horrible and change from game to game. The only consistent shot he has is that 10-15ft jumper where his release point is at 9ft in the air.

If nothing changes it’s time to move on. Don’t be surprised to see some kids transfer back home or to minford or new Boston next season.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

While I’m on one, Barnard is ready to be a regular on the varsity court. No sense In not using him over some of the other guys we play up who can’t guard and don’t score

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Also anyone whose followed Montgomery and Roberts through jr high to now knows Montgomery was always going to be the best player of the two, nobody works harder than that kid and never once have I seen him not hustle till the very end.

Jimmy Chitwood
Waterboy

Post by Jimmy Chitwood »

There is nothing wrong with Webster's rotation. JV and varsity ball are two entirely different worlds. Barnard is going to be a great player, but statistically, he's not going to give anymore than the guys playing in front of him on a nightly basis. I think he ended up with 6 points in the jv game last night? I don't know how 6 points in a jv game translates into instant production at the varsity level that some of you all are seeing. His time is definitely coming and he's going to be a good one for sure....Webster's main problem is that they have a 6'7" kid that they insist on playing as a guard and not on the block...Attitude issues aside, you put him down there, he could average 25 and 15 easily. Since the kid has been in Jr high, they let him float around the 3pt line for whatever reason. That has definitely created a monster that needs to be fixed asap...If they do, then they will be fine come tournament time...

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Barnard passes up A LOT of his shots to get the other kids there’s. He’s a pass first player but anyone who’s watches him for a few years knows he can get to the basket at will.
He’s far and away better than at least two of our guards. He scored 6 last night but he’s been averaging 15-18ppg without really trying

Roberts only had 7 last night.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Jimmy Chitwood wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:42 am There is nothing wrong with Webster's rotation. JV and varsity ball are two entirely different worlds. Barnard is going to be a great player, but statistically, he's not going to give anymore than the guys playing in front of him on a nightly basis. I think he ended up with 6 points in the jv game last night? I don't know how 6 points in a jv game translates into instant production at the varsity level that some of you all are seeing. His time is definitely coming and he's going to be a good one for sure....Webster's main problem is that they have a 6'7" kid that they insist on playing as a guard and not on the block...Attitude issues aside, you put him down there, he could average 25 and 15 easily. Since the kid has been in Jr high, they let him float around the 3pt line for whatever reason. That has definitely created a monster that needs to be fixed asap...If they do, then they will be fine come tournament time...
I've always thought this was a problem in our area, big kid can dominate in the post at the HS level, but realistically would be a wing at the next level. Tough to balance that win now vs development for the kids future.

Jimmy Chitwood
Waterboy

Post by Jimmy Chitwood »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:24 am Barnard passes up A LOT of his shots to get the other kids there’s. He’s a pass first player but anyone who’s watches him for a few years knows he can get to the basket at will.
He’s far and away better than at least two of our guards. He scored 6 last night but he’s been averaging 15-18ppg without really trying

Roberts only had 7 last night.
Not going to disagree with you there. I'm not knocking Barnard, he's going to be really good, as I said earlier...Just saying, you can't compare jv and varsity basketball. I watched him several times over the summer when he played with the varsity. His production wasn't the same as what you're seeing now on Tuesday and Friday nights during jv games..

Jimmy Chitwood
Waterboy

Post by Jimmy Chitwood »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:31 am
Jimmy Chitwood wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:42 am There is nothing wrong with Webster's rotation. JV and varsity ball are two entirely different worlds. Barnard is going to be a great player, but statistically, he's not going to give anymore than the guys playing in front of him on a nightly basis. I think he ended up with 6 points in the jv game last night? I don't know how 6 points in a jv game translates into instant production at the varsity level that some of you all are seeing. His time is definitely coming and he's going to be a good one for sure....Webster's main problem is that they have a 6'7" kid that they insist on playing as a guard and not on the block...Attitude issues aside, you put him down there, he could average 25 and 15 easily. Since the kid has been in Jr high, they let him float around the 3pt line for whatever reason. That has definitely created a monster that needs to be fixed asap...If they do, then they will be fine come tournament time...
I've always thought this was a problem in our area, big kid can dominate in the post at the HS level, but realistically would be a wing at the next level. Tough to balance that win now vs development for the kids future.
I definitely think that's the issue with Roberts right now. I'm sure he plays on the perimeter on his travel team in the spring and summer, which is fine.. He will probably play a guard/small forward spot in college...However, when he's playing high school ball, he needs to play where it gives his team the best chance to win..

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

Jimmy Chitwood wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:32 am
Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:31 am
I definitely think that's the issue with Roberts right now. I'm sure he plays on the perimeter on his travel team in the spring and summer, which is fine.. He will probably play a guard/small forward spot in college...However, when he's playing high school ball, he needs to play where it gives his team the best chance to win..
Burg has had some some bigs who played big at both the HS and college level -- Drew Burleson, Andy Stegman, Carson McCorckle. But has had this problem such as Roberts in the past also -- Tanner Holden, Drew Spradlin, Cam Miller all 6'6"+ and are wings at the college level. Put them in the paint in the SOC and our Region and they'd dominate, but they've gotta prepare for life after HS too. Cam at 6'8" was the only one who spent about equal time in the paint as the perimeter.

sidenote: not sure we'll ever see SOC battles like we did in the mid-00's. Miller, Spradlin, Cowgill, Aldridge, Waginiger, Lower, Thoroughman (Clay)

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

So why is the Administration at SW continuing down this disastrous road with the current coach? Hasn’t this Coach been around for years at Webster and hasn’t he been
passed over numerous times in the past for head coaching positions within the District? Why did they think he was a good fit all the sudden? Isn’t the Roberts kids Dad the principal at SW? Didn’t he play and coach the game of basketball? Does he have any input during the hiring process of coaches in the District? How about the Superintendent; doesn’t he have a wealth of knowledge with regards to the game of basketball? Wouldn’t one think he has numerous connections and could find a very good Coach to lead the SW basketball program? It seems to me it’s very obvious where the District has fallen short in this particular situation.
Jeep 80: You can and should show up and voice your concerns. SW deserves much better than what they are getting and the Powers to Be need to be held accountable.

Return to “Boys Basketball”