JeepNation26
Freshman Team

Re: SW JEEPS and tournament time

Post by JeepNation26 »

Spalding22 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:26 pm
JeepNation26 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:21 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:09 pm
Good take.
Whitey has played significantly better the past two games though I’ll give him that.
I think Shupe needs to take a big ole drink and get some confidence back. Used to be a legit threat for 15-20 a game. Still the best defender on the squad

Also who exactly is going to knock the Jeeps out of the tournament early? Fairfield is going to be on the opposite side of the bracket. There ain’t no other d4 team in SEO even remotely close to being a threat except maybe Western if Haggy goes for 40.

This whole thread is nonsense
What kind of coach would let one decent player know knock them out of the tournament? Haggy is good. He’s a 1 man band though. You can’t be real. Your bias is nonsense.
Attachments
clapping mascots.png

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

No way Webster should be 10+ years without a District Championship. They are one of the biggest D4 schools in area and basketball is king there. A District Championship every 3 years or so in D4 is not too much to ask for given Webster's usual talent and resources.

As for the coaching talk, Webster gave up 17 offensive rebounds to Burg in that loss. Coach Fenton can't go out on the floor for the players and box out and be tough on the boards for them, that's their job. Burg punched Webster in the mouth and the players didn't respond. That's a player toughness issue. And it's been an issue for a while now (ex. Trimble game at Convo few years back where Webster got outrebounded like 50-12).

Other obvious issue is they need more offensive production from their backcourt. If someone steps up and provides it (and they actually show some fight the next time an opponent hits them in the mouth), Webster is playing Berlin Hiland in the Regional Finals for a trip to State.

As for next year, if Norm's health doesn't allow him to return, then Fenton is next in line. Just like Norm, Fenton's style isn't for everyone. But he is the right man for the Webster job if Norm can't go, and Fenton will keep Webster in the D4 Regional conversation for the foreseeable future.*

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Eugene2009 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:18 pm I agree…shouldn’t be much resistance until regionals…BUT I surely didn’t expect them to get outed by ND last year even with all the issues they had. But it’s clear things are different this year, not perfect, but definitely way better.
I agree with you on that note. I believe Persin had something to do with it. Best of luck to the Jeeps throughout the season. Hope to see them in regionals hitting their best stride.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

art_vandelay wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:52 pm No way Webster should be 10+ years without a District Championship. They are one of the biggest D4 schools in area and basketball is king there. A District Championship every 3 years or so in D4 is not too much to ask for given Webster's usual talent and resources.

As for the coaching talk, Webster gave up 17 offensive rebounds to Burg in that loss. Coach Fenton can't go out on the floor for the players and box out and be tough on the boards for them, that's their job. Burg punched Webster in the mouth and the players didn't respond. That's a player toughness issue. And it's been an issue for a while now (ex. Trimble game at Convo few years back where Webster got outrebounded like 50-12).

Other obvious issue is they need more offensive production from their backcourt. If someone steps up and provides it (and they actually show some fight the next time an opponent hits them in the mouth), Webster is playing Berlin Hiland in the Regional Finals for a trip to State.

As for next year, if Norm's health doesn't allow him to return, then Fenton is next in line. Just like Norm, Fenton's style isn't for everyone. But he is the right man for the Webster job if Norm can't go, and Fenton will keep Webster in the D4 Regional conversation for the foreseeable future.*
I see some bias in the final statement, but some truth a reason in the first 3 statements. Whatever the case, we shall see. Sure wouldn’t want next year to look like last year along with Minford and Burg this year. Did you see any strategy issues in the Burg and and Minford game, Art?

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

I’ll coach the Jeeps next year. 22-0. Undefeated warmups going against East in the first game of the sectionals

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:11 pm I’ll coach the Jeeps next year. 22-0. Undefeated warmups going against East in the first game of the sectionals
😭 I’m rooting for you.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Jan 23
Valley @ SW
Jan 26
SW @ Burg
Jan 27
PWest @ SW makeup.

Busy week next week.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

One game at a time ladies and gents. 3 burg kids, a minford kid a scottish import and 2 1/2 webster kids. Chemistry can be tough. I like how everyone is putting responsibility on the coaches. How about the kids?

If you want the right to complain you must be doing one of two things:
1. Doing your best to make yourself better
2. Doing something to make the world better

If you are not doing one of these things then shut your mouth!
The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

jeepmadness wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:11 pm One game at a time ladies and gents. 3 burg kids, a minford kid a scottish import and 2 1/2 webster kids. Chemistry can be tough. I like how everyone is putting responsibility on the coaches. How about the kids?
Minford kid?

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:49 pm
jeepmadness wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:11 pm One game at a time ladies and gents. 3 burg kids, a minford kid a scottish import and 2 1/2 webster kids. Chemistry can be tough. I like how everyone is putting responsibility on the coaches. How about the kids?
Minford kid?
Probably referring to Campbell, even though he’s been at Webster since middle school/Jr high.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

You just said it, “they are KIDS.”
Agreed, but knowing who to have in the game together and having a good strategy is crucial. You can’t just say “go play ball KIDS.” That’s jr. high material. The problems I see aren’t talent. Not trying to be too critical. Knowing when to call timeouts. Having the wrong kids together on the floor to create mismatches and liabilities. Switching defenses. Adapting. Everything starts with coaching. You can beat a substantially gifted more athletic team with mediocre players who listen to a good coaching strategy. As evidenced by wheelersburg beating SW. Up 12. Blowing the lead. Never altering anything. “Let it ride boys, if we don’t win it’s your fault.” Come on now. That’s madness. Might as well treat HS basketball like playground basketball in that world. Coaches exist for a reason, and coaching does make a difference. Prater out-coached SW by making simple adjustments. SW made none, again, with a substantially more gifted team. Size and talent. Minford was a game where coaching just gave up. Timeout awareness or neglect, however you choose to see it. Not to mention not playing a kid who went off in the first half. To me, it doesn’t look good for tournament time if coaching doesn’t get better. Hope it does. If you don’t understand those things, you don’t understand the game. I do like and agree with your footnote though in applying it to the real world. Basketball is an adversarial setting and the footnote does not apply. You better perform, otherwise, what is the point? A coaches job is to guide with a certain amount or standard of knowledge historically most acting head coaches possess. I’ve not been seeing it. Just give everyone trophies like they do in the upward biddy ball ball league. That’s not the real world.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Additionally, are you saying “kids” are more equipped to handle scrutiny than adult coaches? Wild. The best coaches I’ve come across tend to take blame to protect their “kids” even in college. Leadership. Guidance. You get it.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Spalding22 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:57 pm
Agreed, but knowing who to have in the game together and having a good strategy is crucial. You can’t just say “go play ball KIDS.” That’s jr. high material. The problems I see aren’t talent. Not trying to be too critical. Knowing when to call timeouts. Having the wrong kids together on the floor to create mismatches and liabilities. Switching defenses. Adapting. Everything starts with coaching. You can beat a substantially gifted more athletic team with mediocre players who listen to a good coaching strategy. As evidenced by wheelersburg beating SW. Up 12. Blowing the lead. Never altering anything. “Let it ride boys, if we don’t win it’s your fault.” Come on now. That’s madness. Might as well treat HS basketball like playground basketball in that world. Coaches exist for a reason, and coaching does make a difference. Prater out-coached SW by making simple adjustments. SW made none, again, with a substantially more gifted team. Size and talent. Minford was a game where coaching just gave up. Timeout awareness or neglect, however you choose to see it. Not to mention not playing a kid who went off in the first half. To me, it doesn’t look good for tournament time if coaching doesn’t get better. Hope it does. If you don’t understand those things, you don’t understand the game. I do like and agree with your footnote though in applying it to the real world. Basketball is an adversarial setting and the footnote does not apply. You better perform, otherwise, what is the point? A coaches job is to guide with a certain amount or standard of knowledge historically most acting head coaches possess. I’ve not been seeing it. Just give everyone trophies like they do in the upward biddy ball ball league. That’s not the real world.
Man, you sure know how to let loose behind a screen name.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:37 pm
Sounds like I’m offending somebody. I thought this platform was meant for respectful and open discussion about adversarial events? You are right. Maybe too “harsh.” I’ll stay quiet and let the season play out.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Spalding22 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:54 pm
Sounds like I’m offending somebody. I thought this platform was meant for respectful and open discussion about adversarial events? You are right. Maybe too “harsh.” I’ll stay quiet and let the season play out.
I really don’t care (I’m not from Webster, obviously) and we need people to have real discussion on here. You’ve just really been going at the assistant coach hard all of this thread. Not sure how respectful it was, but whatever. You do you.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

danicalifornia wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:08 pm
Spalding22 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:54 pm

I really don’t care (I’m not from Webster, obviously) and we need people to have real discussion on here. You’ve just really been going at the assistant coach hard all of this thread. Not sure how respectful it was, but whatever. You do you.
danicalifornia wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:08 pm [quote=Spalding22 post_id=2097117 time=<a href="tel:1705780464">1705780464</a> user_id=20706]
[quote=danicalifornia post_id=2097113 time=<a href="tel:1705779429">1705779429</a> user_id=720]
[quote=Spalding22 post_id=2097109 time=<a href="tel:1705777033">1705777033</a> user_id=20706]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Just seeing some things. Of course, the players have to do their job. But some things are out of the coaches control. I don’t believe I said it was this “person” or that “person”, I’ve just said coaching. If you reached a conclusion from an inference, well, I get it. My apologies. I believe they can do better. The only way to motivate, or perhaps influence change are discussions like the ones held on this platform. No more about what I’ve seen from SW. let it ride. Hope to see some good basketball.

Eugene2009
Riding the Bench

Post by Eugene2009 »

I quit taking Mr. or Mrs. Spalding serious when he called Minford & Burg mediocre teams. They’ve both proven to be very good teams. Minford is ranked in the state in D3 for whatever that’s worth. Probably at least solidifies them as better than mediocre. SW has one of the top 3 players around, probably has the potential to be the best. Summers is top level player in the conference. Other than that they’ve got a solid roster. Top to bottom the talent level from Burg to SW is very close. Burg guards have proven much better than Webster’s, and like Art V said in a previous post SW got punched in the mouth by Burg’s aggressiveness and the kids didn’t respond or fight back. That’s a “heart” problem, not a coaching problem. SW let a much smaller team dominate them on the glass. Let’s hope SW responds much better the next time around.

Spalding22
Riding the Bench

Post by Spalding22 »

Also, I was discussing ideas on preparing. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. I get it. Change has historically been an idea people aren’t comfortable with. Gotta get out of your comfort zone for progress to occur. With that being said, my ideas and discussions must not be “real.” I’ll dismiss myself, respectfully.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

The horse that was being beat is turned into dust now.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

The kids dont seem to be taking any pride in what they are trying to do. Get together and make a commitment to each other. Putting all this on coaches all the time is too easy. At some point in time the players have to take responsibility and parents need to quit complaining about coaches and tell their own kids to just get better.

If you want the right to complain you must be doing one of two things:
1. Doing your best to make yourself better
2. Doing something to make the world better

If you are not doing one of these things then shut your mouth!

Return to “Boys Basketball”