Chillicothe at Wheelersburg

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

running the score up? you got to be kidding me....chilli subbed alot throughout the game. and the starters came out quite early. maybe not enough to your satisfaction, but these kids HADNT played until this weekend for 2 weeks....geesh!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

The radio guys even made the statement that they thought the Chilli starters were in to long, especially after Barrick had pulled all of his starters.

Also, nice picture in the Portsmouth Times today of Andy Stegman getting his jersey almost ripped off his back on a rebound attempt. I wonder if a foul was called on that play.

Chilli was and is the better team this year, but no reason for the starters to be on the floor with a 20 point lead and less than 5 minutes to play with Burg starters on the bench.

Congrats on your win Cavs and good luck the rest of the year. You have a very good team that should make some noise in the DII tourney.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
pinapplrdhwk
Freshman Team

Post by pinapplrdhwk »

let the crying begin. I knew someone would just have to find something negative to talk about chilli and their win last night.

So i guess if Burg starters started river dancing on the bench chillicothe should follow suit huh. Who cares if chilli's starters were in the 4th after burg pulled theirs. Obviously they weren't running up the score, if the game had already been decided. I highly doubt coach K was sitting on the bench thinking "hey lets keep humpty and ray out there so we can make the score look way better".

Chillicothe has a huge lay off and i'm sure coach k had reason for keeping the starters in, there are always things you can improve on, and since chillicothe doesn't play for another week, i think you might want your starters in a tad bit longer before they have a week off.

nobody wants to talk about chillicothe's starters sitting for the last 2+ minutes of the first half.

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

not sure who you would like to be in the starting lineup burgtown. I guess all burgs players are bad shoots or whatever you said that doesnt make since. How about giving them a little more time then the first four games. I guess drew can only shoot some nights even though he is a career 40%+ 3 pt shooter and is a 6'5 gaurd playing d1 basketball next year, but i guess hes just ok. Cook and Jenkins have the talent to be good players. Cook is a good shooter, he just needs to have one good game. When burg wins 13 or 14 games this year, and makes a trip to athens, do everyone a favor and stay at home.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

Kellough used his 8th and 9th men for much of the whole game. if he really wanted to run up the score he wouldnt have sat his starters during those mid-game stretches. the cavs played their first game, sat for an entire week, and then had no rhythm in the gallia game, so i think coach wanted to keep his kids in and work on things while they were actually clicking and playing well. as much as you can try, you cant simulate game situations that well in practice and i think it was a matter of letting his players gel as much as possible. he pulled them with 4 minutes and change remaining.

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

Its too bad Dburg fans are crying when things don't go so well. If coach kellough really wanted to run up the score he would have pressed in the 4th quarter and not rotated as many as players as he did. Dburg got their butts kicked by a better team. Take a loss like a man and quit crying!!

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

So i guess if Burg starters started river dancing on the bench chillicothe should follow suit huh.

I think they all got together after the game to perform the River Dance for the crowd. It was the highlight of the evening seeing Chambers and Spradlin leading the way.

pinapplrdhwk
Freshman Team

Post by pinapplrdhwk »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
So i guess if Burg starters started river dancing on the bench chillicothe should follow suit huh.

I think they all got together after the game to perform the River Dance for the crowd. It was the highlight of the evening seeing Chambers and Spradlin leading the way.

i'm highly upset i knew they would steal my routine i'm furious

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

Nobody is crying. The Burg got beat by a better team. Chillicothe has good players and they outran, outshot, and out played the Burg. No question there. Congratulations and good luck.
BUT, the coach from Chillicothe did leave his starters in five minutes after the Burg took theirs out. That's a fact. It was a thoughtless, classless act on the part of the head coach.
The fact that throughout the game the starters subbed in and out for Chillicothe only a few minutes here and there is not relevant, either; so did Burg's seventh and eighth men at stretches of a minute or two here and there. When the game was within ten in the second quarter, I am sure nobody would expect Chillicothe to sub in. Last year, Chillicothe led by ten often, and ended up losing.
Just saying, if the burg was up last year by 20 at the end of the third quarter, Barrick knew it showed sportsmanship/ respectful to the other teams' players on the floor that when the down-team mass subs its second team at the beginning of the fourth qtr., which the Burg did last night) for ALL the starters to come out. Last year, Miller and Spradlin often did not step on the floor, and did not pad their stats in the 4th qtr against second teams. They probably wanted in, their parents wanted them in, and they couldl have averaged a lot more rebounds or shots. Won't happen on a Tom Barrick team. In fact the Burg second team often played against their opponents' first team. Hey, maybe the parents of the bench guys from Chilli would likek to see their hardworking sons get on the floor in that situation??? Last night even people in the crowd were yelling, GET YOUR SUBS IN! DON'T YOU HAVE A SECOND TEAM?? The second team should have been playing against the Burg
s second team. It isn't all about just certain players, you know. Nobody from Burg is crying about losing. They were admitting the game was over. I am saying it was classless to ignore a commonly known aspect of sportsmanship, whether or not the Chillicothe players needed more practice time or had been off, or whatever: Irrelevant. To get more practice they should get into their own gym and practice, and not take advantage of another teams' harworking second team by having their starters run the score up on layups off steals. It made Chillicothe's coach look bad. Congratulations have been extended to Chillicothe on have such a good team. However, they could learn a lesson of humility and grace. (Which is really more important than having a good team, since those come and go and teenagers grow up to live the way we teach them to live.) Of course, the players don't make the decision, the head coach does. Don't know who he is, don't wanna know. End of discussion
Last edited by Jumpshot on Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

“(Hitchens) is a very talented kid,” Wheelersburg coach Tom Barrick said. “He had 11 of his 30 points in the fourth quarter, after the game was secured. So, I'll leave it at that.”

Look at Stegmans jersey in this picture. That's one way to keep a kid from getting a rebound. lol

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

jumpshot. if chillicothe left their starters in 5 minutes after Burg pulled theirs then that would mean that Burg subbed their second team in with a minute to go in the 3rd quarter? apparently people only count the 2nd team as in when there isn't a single starter left in the game. because chilli took out their big guns with about 4 mins left so its not adding up bud, unless you are trying to say Burg knew the game was over in the 3rd quarter and had given up. good grief, people want to make a mountain out of a mole hill here, i guess that happens when you get your butts creamed at home, gotta find something the other team did wrong.

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

hitchens stole the ball and made a layup with about 3 minutes left. Its not that big of a deal, but the starters were in too long. saying they were pulled with 5 or 6 minutes left is wrong

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

Its funny when teams or schools finally see the other side. Dburg is so used to winning that they are not used to getting beat by so bad at home. I remember the days when no one cared when our Cavs were getting beat by 40 points in the OCC. Again, If the Cavs wanted to run up the score Chillicothe would have scored atleast in the 70's..... What a joke. This Chillicothe team played 7 straight sloppy qrts before the Dburg game. It was nice to see a team effort with 9 players seeing action throughout the entire game! Go CAVS!!!

Army
S

Post by Army »

baller3 wrote:Its funny when teams or schools finally see the other side. Dburg is so used to winning that they are not used to getting beat by so bad at home. I remember the days when no one cared when our Cavs were getting beat by 40 points in the OCC. Again, If the Cavs wanted to run up the score Chillicothe would have scored atleast in the 70's..... What a joke. This Chillicothe team played 7 straight sloppy qrts before the Dburg game. It was nice to see a team effort with 9 players seeing action throughout the entire game! Go CAVS!!!

Get over it to the few Burg fans who are on here making excuses of why you all lost. Blaming it on Chilli's coach keeping starters in? Move on and get ready for the Ironton Tigers. Because they will play a great game to, against your Pirates. You can bank on that one. Remember, you can't have a great b-ball team every year, someone has to lose and someone has to win. Our time will come eventually too. Quit whining and making excuses, continue to play Pirate basketball. You all have a good team and will be O.K. this season. Your kids showed heart, character and determination out there. Sure it's tuff to lose like that at home. We use to observe that a lot when we were in the OCC. As stated above.

Our CAVS won, and from what I see was a decent game. Good luck in your SOC II run Burg. You all got to get Oak Hill back, right? Don't you all have them at home? Again good luck Burg on the rest of your season.

As for our CAVS great game team, I can't wait to see you all in action at home.

GO CAVS :!:

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Army wrote:
baller3 wrote:Its funny when teams or schools finally see the other side. Dburg is so used to winning that they are not used to getting beat by so bad at home. I remember the days when no one cared when our Cavs were getting beat by 40 points in the OCC. Again, If the Cavs wanted to run up the score Chillicothe would have scored atleast in the 70's..... What a joke. This Chillicothe team played 7 straight sloppy qrts before the Dburg game. It was nice to see a team effort with 9 players seeing action throughout the entire game! Go CAVS!!!

Get over it to the few Burg fans who are on here making excuses of why you all lost. Blaming it on Chilli's coach keeping starters in? Move on and get ready for the Ironton Tigers. Because they will play a great game to, against your Pirates. You can bank on that one. Remember, you can't have a great b-ball team every year, someone has to lose and someone has to win. Our time will come eventually too. Quit whining and making excuses, continue to play Pirate basketball. You all have a good team and will be O.K. this season. Your kids showed heart, character and determination out there. Sure it's tuff to lose like that at home. We use to observe that a lot when we were in the OCC. As stated above.

Our CAVS won, and from what I see was a decent game. Good luck in your SOC II run Burg. You all got to get Oak Hill back, right? Don't you all have them at home? Again good luck Burg on the rest of your season.

As for our CAVS great game team, I can't wait to see you all in action at home.

GO CAVS :!:

WHAT!!!!! Army, no one from the Burg is on here saying that the reason the Burg lost was because the starters stayed in for Chilly. Most of the Burg fans, from what I can read into it was definetley saying that Chilly was the better team this year. Hell, they were probably the better team last year also. Burg just had a kittle more talent that could take advantage of a team having an off night.

This years Burg team will only get better because of the games against the Chillicothe's and the Ironton's and the Gallia Academy's and Huntington, WV. This team will be battle tested come tourney time. Every league game will be a battle this year. It doesn't look like there is a clear cut favorite as of right now. The way things are going now, it looks like Northwest and Oak Hill will be battling for the crown, since both have knocked off the defending co-champs from last year.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
“(Hitchens) is a very talented kid,” Wheelersburg coach Tom Barrick said. “He had 11 of his 30 points in the fourth quarter, after the game was secured. So, I'll leave it at that.”

Look at Stegmans jersey in this picture. That's one way to keep a kid from getting a rebound. lol

that's obvious

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

officials miss calls all the time. it wasnt at crunch time in a close game so let it go. that holding call wasnt worth 24 points. maybe i should make a big deal about the 3 baskets Chilli had wiped out by charging calls in the 3rd quarter. b/c i'm sure atleast one of them was a block.

Jumpshot
Riding the Bench

Post by Jumpshot »

Nobody made any excuses (read more closely). Just said the starters stayed in too long against non-starters and ran up the score. Jeeze. That's it. No excuses, no crying. Just stating an opinion. Don't be so touchy.
And, yes, the charges were charges, the holding fouls were holding fouls--as the picture supports-- and things not called both ways were let go. The officiating did not affect the game. (Might want to read that again, too.) Nobody said any of it led to a loss?????? Read it. Burg posters all have said, down the line, that the Burg team got beat by a better, very talented team and congratulations, on and on. And, yes, the guy is illegally holding Stegman's jersey. Not making a big deal about it. Just an observation that is obvious.
btw: I have seen that jersey holding a LOT this year. Why don't officials see it and call it? Maybe teams should get rid of these loose fitting uniforms?

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

That picture is unbeleivable. There is no way that should not of been called because that is blatant and that is not a usual jersey grab, where you grab it just for a second. He had ahold of that jersey for awhile. Look at how the front of the jersey is almost twisted around to his back?

Like jumpshot said, no one from the Burg is crying about the loss. The better team won. Just not a great show of sportsmanship to leave in starters if the other team has already emptied their bench, especially if your team is winning big. You don't work on things, during a game, on another teams second string with your first string. Uncalled for!!!!!!!

Maybe the Chilliy coach was thinking on the lines in that they aren't playing the Burg next year and may not play them ever again so what does he care who he ticks off by leaving in his starters.

Return to “Boys Basketball”