ALL-TIME SVAC TEAM

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

Raiderball wrote:I think Eastern might have finished in a 3 way tie with HT and SV in 1973. I saw the HT at SV game that year. HT had Swain and Caldwell and SV had Jene and Jaye Myers and Lafon playing for them. That game had an interesting ending to it for sure.
Did Eastern have Dennis Eichenger and the Caldwells playing for them this year?

I heard eichenger was a tough player... lol he's family so ive heard alot... lol, Kent Wolfe is also my uncle also so i know alot about the teams southern had in the svac... Hey maximus, i bet you didnt expect this topic to get so hot lol :lol:

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Post by friday_nite_fan »

mtswngrvsg wrote:A guy by the name of Jimmy Walker may of also played at about the same time.

Didn't he also star as J.J. in "Good Times"????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Good to see you having fun with this FNF. I do not think so. He played basketball and football at SW, may have also played baseball. He went to Marshall to play football but after a year or two transfered to Morehead State where he played football. Was told that if he had not transfered would have been on the plane. He later coached basketball at SW for two years in the late 80's.

Coach Paul McNeil of Athens High School also played basketball in the SVAC.

honey roy palmer
Waterboy

Post by honey roy palmer »

GATOR BAIT wrote:Yeah rat they did keep stats back then, and there was better sports coverage in the local papers than there is now. Just like jimmy Brace's 12 three pointers, you think someone didn't keep track of that Oh, by the way its not from memory that he made 12 because I do remember but its a state record, imagine that someone kept track of his stats listening to you, sounds like we just played to be playing or you could be a disgruntled player or maybe you just repeat what you have heard because sounds to me like your not to familiar with NG's ways and I'm pretty sure coach jenkins kept stats down there at HT as well. Can you help me out on that one futurebkstar was around you guys a lot through the summers. You gotta admit those were the good lod days of basketball this generation is the me generation I want the glory,but I don't wanna work for it, But I still get to play anyway. Of course thats just an opinion from the old school. By the way I think Brace is tied for 5th all time three pointers in a game.

Your getting better. There are actually periods and commas in your posts now. You must be having your mom proofread your posts. I'm actually going to agree with you on kids that play today. There are to many kids today that have mom and dad complaining to school officials about the coaches. These kids are getting playing time that they don't deserve because mommy and daddy have went to the principal or the school board. Somebody mentioned that the teams of old would have a hard time playing with the teams of today and I would agree. Weightlifting has changed the game today. The game is so much more physical then it was in the 80's. Coaches also put much more emphasis on defending. To get back to the topic, I wonder which team had the most SVAC selections of all time? My guess would be Southern.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Rat stated:

If a team has six people scoring double digits they should be in the final four if they play any defense

This team was close to the State's Final Four. They were actually winning late in that game against Lockland. As for saying the team must not of played defense you are wrong. This team ran a Diamond Press that was awesome. This team Aveaged around 80 ppg and gave up in the low 50's. This team beat the SEOAL Champs twice that year by double digits. (JACKSON)

This team played more ball together than any team around now a days. Now they have shootouts, AAU, and summer leagues. Then they had outside basketball courts and trust me..........DAYLIGHT TIL DARK!!!!!

Bfan
Waterboy

Post by Bfan »

The BOBCATS always won the county tournaments I think 7 years in a row from the late 70's till mid 80's. As for Hannan Trace winning all those championships in the 90's, well, they might have beat SOUTHERNwestern and counted that a league championship

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

I dont think anyone stated that Hannan Trace won any league championships in the 90's. They had good teams that went far in the tourney. The 1991 team never won the league title but went to the regionals.

rat
Freshman Team

Post by rat »

Nobody around the program remembers this team winning by about 30 a game. But they could be wrong, if Hannan, Teays Valle Chr., Ovc, Cross Lanes were on the schedule maybe they did.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Try Chesapeake, Fairland, Jackson(2X), Russell ky, and Raceland. Then the league games in Kyger Creek, Southwestern, North Gallia, Southern, Oak Hill, Symmes Valley, and Eastern

rat
Freshman Team

Post by rat »

Well as they say, "The sun shines on every dogs ass once in a while" I'm done with the past.

GATOR BAIT
Riding the Bench

Post by GATOR BAIT »

Yep, futurebkstar is right back then daylight to dark. I remember back then, Lose and depending on what time of day you lost you might as well go home because you were not playing for a while. We kept stats every game if we were lacking in an area it was addressed at halftime and was reviewed at the next practice and those who wanted to watch the tape after the game could go to the coaches house after the game to watch it.

kids today may be bigger or stronger but the confidence that they have about there shot or the intensity about wanting to win is lacking, you could take players of old and today's players and play and the old would win out not because their better but it meant something to them to win or lose today's kids win or lose they still act the same. Its the me generation attitude which now a days means I don't need to come to the gym or play any in the summer or off season because they know one way or the other they going to play any way and its not just one.

That 91' team was fun to play against and they did play defense, and they were winning late, late, into the second half and just ran out of gas in that Cincinnati lockland game .If I remember right one of them fouled out late then things snow balled a little.

I remember quite a few teams in the old days that I would love to see some of these today teams play weights or no weights thats sounds the the Buckeye football peptalk I've heard for the past two years bigger and stronger. Wrong, You can be big and strong and I see alot no speed no stamina your having to sub early for what more size just like florida and lsu football you can't tackle what you can't catch and you can't block what you can't see. Speed, speed,and more speed now there's a few stream line big men around here that can get up and down the court but today's teams cannot shoot like the teams of the past defense or no defense if you can't hit a jumper layup anything in transition your not going to win very many and if you agree teams shoot worse now than back in the day then your around the game and not trying to find stats if you understand the game you can see it,and I mean player for player not just one or two.

GATOR BAIT
Riding the Bench

Post by GATOR BAIT »

yeah rat's done with the past because school's out and he only post during school hours probably got bus duty.

rat
Freshman Team

Post by rat »

What ever bus duty is I have it, if you know who I am then come talk to me, instead of going to the board and bad mouthing everyone. The county office doesn't have bus duty.
Last edited by rat on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rat
Freshman Team

Post by rat »

By the way, are you posting from your job, or at home?

Rebelcat
All Conference

Post by Rebelcat »

You are correct that in 1973 Eastern, Symmes Valley and Hannan Trace shared the league title.

As for KC always winning the country tournament, didn't happen my senior year. To be honest, who really cared who won that tournament. Hannan Trace hated playing in it because to took two games away from playing other non conference teams. Finally after years of complaining, the tournament went away.

If there is one thing that should be learned from looking at the past is scheduling. Carl Wolfe always scheduled up in terms of quality opponents as the Southern program continued to grow. Jenkins did the same with Hannan Trace. The year that HT won the district the non conference schedule was AWSOME. When the tournament rolled around, Southern and Hannan Trace (towards the end) were ready. I FIRMLY believe the reason South Gallia lost early last year was not because they weren't good. Its because they weren't tested. I actually told Coach Saunders this. I ask why SG did not accept the invitation to join the TVC and he said why would they want to play those schools? ALWAYS schedule up. Dont be stupid and overschedule but dont under schedule just to make sure the w-l record looks good.

This is a topic for another thread however, SOUTH GALLIA MUST join a conference. It kills us (Rebels) to not have an affiliation. No league championship banners to hang, all conference players to award, rivalries to build. Its joke. JOIN the TVC........PERIOD!

Sorry for the rant. lol

GO REBELS!

seohhoops
Freshman Team

Post by seohhoops »

I wanted to stay out of this but i just couldnt. I graduated in the late 90's. And believe me, we played ball all the time. We went to shootouts, open gyms, and team camps. Then, after the hay was put up at night, or we dropped our girlfriends off after dates, or whatever, we always ended up somewhere playing ball, about 3 or 4 nights a week. All spring and all summer. I have been around todays, i dont beleive anyone is knocking them. I think they are just trying to say, could you imagine how much more amazing they would be if they played more than they do. And that is stereotyping them all. Hey future, ever play across the river on the outside courts or at the pool? E introduced me to those back in the day.

GATOR BAIT
Riding the Bench

Post by GATOR BAIT »

Yep, played alot over the river and at the pool but just like you and may be speaking for a lot of us oldies back then if they were playing somewhere, we would be there. Back then every place usually had there own certain times and days like down at crown city, the gym, the pool, point, spruce street, back then people played just as stated before after dates, etc. whatever, whenever you could always get games.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

some of you guys really crack me up talking about yourselves on here.
hope you dont break an arm patting yourself on the back... :roll:
if you were that good other people will talk about you ;-)

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

seohhoops, yes played there quite often. I wasnt bragging about the 1991 team because I never played on it. I played against that team everyday. The HT JV team won the SVAC that year and gave all that team wanted in practice. Between me and Barnes we help that team get better. The kids now love basketball but only play in shootouts an so forth. Thats fine and dandy but shoot on your own time. I shot 500 shots a day when I was off practice or break. I shot 3 am in the morning many of nights. The courts were full each and everyday. Kids only play when coaches put things together and makes it mandatory.

sandman
Freshman Team

Post by sandman »

I played against Greg James and there is no doubt in my mind that he was the best player in the SVAC up to his time. He was ahead of his time. He played gaurd/forward/center in a time when big men were typically used underneath. Very rare to see an outside/inside man of his size, strength and skill around here. He was smooth, accurate and had a great floor presence.

I do not know about after his time.

Return to “Boys Basketball”