Vinton County @ Waterford

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

VC wins by 4 I think. Guthrie dominated with 30 points and 11 boards.

VC 56
Waterford 52

From what I hear it was close throughout VC was Ice cold other than Guthrie. Good defense by the Cats VC only had 3 Threes (1 by Guthrie).

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

Wow! Thank god Jay Kline was not coaching! Guthrie may not have scored! :-D

Great win Vikes!
Good Luck in the tournamnet! 8)

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

Diehard Fan wrote:VC will kill Waterford, game will be over after 1st qtr.

Vinton County won 56-52.This game wasnt over til the buzzer went off. Both teams played very hard, this was one of the better games i've seen this year. I was very impressed with Dustin Guthrie, very polished all around player, uses his body and left hand very well. He outplayed waterford's big men...cunningham and hendershot. Waterfords guards really stepped up tonight, i thought they outplayed vinton countys guards. Cody Strahler played a great ball game, Hoge had another solid all around game, and Lang hit some big shots once he finally got involved and out of foul trouble. I think Guthrie scored vc's first 13 pts and 17 of their first 19. The difference in this game was when Cunningham fouled out with 3:28 left, then said something to the official, got t'd up, and then vinton county shot 4 straight free throws and got possesion. That was a big momentum change. Also, it didnt seem like waterford could buy a call all night. Vinton County kept reaching, swatting, and diving for the ball and kept getting away with it. But if waterford breathed on them, they blew the whistle. I would like to know how many free throws Vinton County shot compared to waterford, and it wasnt like waterford wasnt going inside, they were penetrating and in the paint all night, just couldnt buy a trip to the stripe.I didnt recognize any of those officials. But i hope i dont see them again. This was a very good ball game though. I think VC can go a long way in the tournament, and if waterford plays like this there's not too many div. 4 teams out there that can beat them.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Congrats to both teams. No one paid any attention to my prior comments about what a crappy place the new H2OFord gym is to play in for shooters, but tonight further validates it.

The rims are incredibly tight, and you better be able to knock it down with a 20 MPH wind that you are shooting into to make your shots in H2OFORD.

Congrats to VC to close out with a win. Good luck to H2OFord, and the Vikings, as they move into tournament play....

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
ball hound
Freshman Team

Post by ball hound »

Cunninham should have been "T'd" 2 more times in this game. V.C. did not play very well, other than Guthrie. Waterford did have a good game-plan.However, had V.C. hit thier open looks like normal it would have been a different outcome.

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

The free throw disparity is what determined the outcome of the game, that and Cunningham's Technical really hurt.You can't give a good team 4 freebees in a row and expect to win. But good job to both teams. Both teams could have made more shots, but the defenses really played well tonight.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

throwitdown wrote:The free throw disparity is what determined the outcome of the game, that and Cunningham's Technical really hurt.You can't give a good team 4 freebees in a row and expect to win. But good job to both teams. Both teams could have made more shots, but the defenses really played well tonight.

i thought someone told me both teams were in double bonus.(could be wrong) And H2Oford got away with alot of travel calls. The Cats should be excited they played with a team of VC's caliber considering the way they have been playing of late. Hopefully this will help them with their tourny run. I will say this if Waterfords coach doesnt take control of the team they will have a short life in the 2nd season. There is no excuse for players screaming at coaches or team mates. The "attitude" of 1 player will cost this team. What a shameful way to behave.

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

The officiating crew is one of the best in southern ohio. You see those guys doing sectional and district games all the time. Kudos to Waterford for hiring good officials for a game like this. VC was the more aggressive team in attacking the basket, thus they got to the line. VC played very well other than they shot poorly. Every team goes through a rough shooting night. Hats off to the VC for kids for finding a way to win.

Waterford should be very proud of the effort they gave tonight. I think they are definately capapble of being a regional team. They are very well coached by one of the classiest coaches around in Sims, and they definately have the size and athleticism to give other teams problems. Good Luck to the Wildcats in the tournament.

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

vchoops -

That was a classy post. Good luck to both teams throughout the remainder of the tournament!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Cunninham should have been "T'd" 2 more times in this game. V.C. did not play very well, other than Guthrie. Waterford did have a good game-plan.However, had V.C. hit thier open looks like normal it would have been a different outcome.

I agree, Cunningham was constantly talking to everyone who listen.

I agree, VC did not play well, especially their guards. SD, that could be attributed to the rims and the shooting background, I believe that VC was 3 of 17 from the arc; Grillo, Guthrie and Stewart.

Therefore I agree, if we hit our average in threes, it could have been easily a double digit game.

I don't usually do this but I have too, the play that Ethan Allen had in the second quarter, was absolutely one of the BEST individual effort and play I have EVER seen in my life. I will never forget it. :shock: :shock:

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

HP - Congrats to Ethan, that is great to hear that a youngster steps up like this and fills a big void ..........

And, those rims just suck, period. Some of the worst, ever, if you are a shooter.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

OHIOBuckeyes
Waterboy

Post by OHIOBuckeyes »

I totally agree bluegrassvike, the way Cunningham acted he deserves every T that he gets. Just wondering where his parents are when he acts this way, and im sure he just didnt start acting this way over the past year. It is a shame that a kid with that size and talent has to act that way. It seemed as if Cunningham gets one chance a night to act "right", and if he messes up he is out, this kid should have been taught how to act a long time ago, it is way to late to change it now. Waterfords guards showed up to play tonight and straight out played VC's guards! I thought batey and allen gave some strong D for VC. If you were at the game then i think it was clear to see who the real deal in big men was(Dustin Guthrie). The kid never stops,its unreal to watch him play. He is a great leader and you can really tell that when he is on the floor. Best of luck to waterford in tournaments.

GO VIKINGS!!! Show em what you got!!

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

Steely Dan wrote:HP - Congrats to Ethan, that is great to hear that a youngster steps up like this and fills a big void ..........

And, those rims just suck, period. Some of the worst, ever, if you are a shooter.............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whats all the whining about the rims at waterford all about??

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

Cunningham cost waterford the game with that technical period.

throwitdown
Freshman Team

Post by throwitdown »

freethrow wrote:Vinton county by 30 in this one

Good prediction, you can tell you've did your homework. I hope at least waterford earned some respect from all the haters out there. They didnt even play there best either. I mean we played a good ballgame but there's still room for improvement. Cunningham didnt play that great, Hendershot had 2 points, Tornes had 2 points, Lang was in foul trouble and we still almost won the ball game.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Re: Dear Throwitdown

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

EasternDspy wrote:Your team only comes to play vs one team Fort Frye.Your team is so overrated.They have 6-9 giant that plays like a girl scout.Yea he is decent on defense but he not even an offense threat at 6-9 he plays so much on the perimeter.For once I would love for him to post up and take it strong.Dustin Guthrie is going to make him look like a little girl.Hendershot should be so good but he ia big disapointment.Sure he has a had a couple good games over his career.The team barely has any dribbling ability.I would press this team all game.Alex Lang has games when he does not even shoot once.Hoge has an ugly shot but it goes in sometimes.The team defense is very good but you can not win games 36-20 all season.Cody Sthrahler gives me a headache man that kid walks every play.Brandon Roe is a ticking time bomb.As a fan of basketball this game will be very lame blow out.The Vikings are just way to fast.

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

No whining, just a fact. Good outside shooting teams have problems in that gym, period. And don't tell me it is the defense. I've been to enough games up there to see it myself.

gpgm6566
Varsity

Post by gpgm6566 »

Has any one ever measured the dia. of the rims? I thought all rims were std. size.

ball hound
Freshman Team

Post by ball hound »

gpgm6566 wrote:Has any one ever measured the dia. of the rims? I thought all rims were std. size.

it was not the diameter of the rim. But Waterford definatly had a home-court-advantage. The rims would move and shake about an inch from side to side, just from the boys running up and down the court. Besides that it was about 200 degrees in there. But it was a good win from the Vikes and a well played game from the Cats. Good luck to both in the tournys.

Return to “Boys Basketball”