Warren 08-09

SErunner
JV Team

Re: Warren 08-09

Post by SErunner »

I would call Jonathan Hebb a stand out for the Warriors.

k k ann
Waterboy

Post by k k ann »

Hebb is talented! He is dedicated to the sport and a true leader on and off the court by his actions. He does not get distracted from his goal. I wish there were more J Hebbs! They're out there, just not the majority.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Post by warrnwarriorfan »

Not intended as a slight to Hebb. He will have a great season. I was referring to the program historically. Not having a "superstar" has never hurt Warren in the past.

Speaking of "hurt." I understand Fivecoait will be out another 1-2 weeks. He'll miss the Nelsonville scrimmage for sure. I hope he doesn't have to miss the Foundation Game with Vinton Co.

I understand we are having a Winter Sports "Meet the Team" on Saturday evening with an intrasquad scrimmage. Something new . . .

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

something new..and kinda sweet
I always thought some sort of midnight madness would be cool....

somebody should try to make a big deal out of it one year...
maybe a faculty game to start it off
see if they could get a alumni game of some sort going on about 7
a three point contest with the players around halftime
then an intersquad scrimmage
last year there would have been enough interest for a dunk contest too
get the band there...the cheerleaders could perform, maybe a little speech by maddox and the captains

itd be a nice way to start the year, and then make it a tradition

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

tribetime wrote:something new..and kinda sweet
I always thought some sort of midnight madness would be cool....

somebody should try to make a big deal out of it one year...
maybe a faculty game to start it off
see if they could get a alumni game of some sort going on about 7
a three point contest with the players around halftime
then an intersquad scrimmage
last year there would have been enough interest for a dunk contest too
get the band there...the cheerleaders could perform, maybe a little speech by maddox and the captains

itd be a nice way to start the year, and then make it a tradition

Maybe I don't know him well enough, but it is hard for me to imagine Coach Maddox giving a speech.

Now, Mr. Nate Evans. I can see him doing that.

Is Fred Ruth going to be doing the announcing?

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

se runner,
I can hardly imagine Warren doing something like this, but of course Mr. Ruth, as he's known to people my age, is announcing. By the time he leaves Warren for good he's going to be more famous as a announcer than band director.
I guess I wasn't imagining this as a get the crowd involved pep rally type of speech by Coach Maddox, so, yes, Nate would be a better choice for that.
However, from what players tell me, Coach Maddox's pregame, halftime, and day after loss speeches are pretty motivational.

Thats too bad about brandons hand, what pushed him back?

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

you're right TT, and I dont think the people at Warren would trade Mr. Ruth for a different announcer if you paid them.

The student section considered the midnight madness idea, but it fell apart.

SErunner
JV Team

Post by SErunner »

tribetime wrote:se runner,
I can hardly imagine Warren doing something like this, but of course Mr. Ruth, as he's known to people my age, is announcing. By the time he leaves Warren for good he's going to be more famous as a announcer than band director.
I guess I wasn't imagining this as a get the crowd involved pep rally type of speech by Coach Maddox, so, yes, Nate would be a better choice for that.
However, from what players tell me, Coach Maddox's pregame, halftime, and day after loss speeches are pretty motivational.

Thats too bad about brandons hand, what pushed him back?

haha...It was Mr. Ruth during my four years at Warren as well. Actually, I had a friend get in trouble for calling him Fred. I guess he considered it disrespectful.

I haven't heard any motivational speeches from Maddox, but I've heard him talk in a manner that would clear the locker room and set the basketball players to work.

Not implying that he is a mean man, he is nice, but all Coaches have that switch of being friendly to being authoritative.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

TT: We were chatting with his mother and it's just not ready. The break hasn't healed like the doctor thought it would. Like I said, hopefully he will be okay by the Vinton foundation game.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

So, the boys opened up with a scrimmage at NY today.
Thoughts?

warriiorfan
Freshman Team

Post by warriiorfan »

if they don't run 3-4 fades a half to #1 they are nuts....how about a reverse...something other than play action on 3rd and long... oops sorry :122249
ITS BASKETBALL SEASON!!!

Hope all are healthy...and takin care of business - any black jocks on the team this year...

wait a second - let me clarify... might read the wrong way..a tradition in the lockeroom for toughness

tribetime
Freshman Team

Post by tribetime »

haha wariiorfan..
"black jocks, white socks"

Havent heard anything about the scrimmage from saturday...hopefully warrenwarriorfan will get us an update on that.

It will be interesting to see what kind of offense the boys run this year. Will it be one similar to last year or the pre-Foote set plays? Speaking of Foote, I was glad to hear he got an AD position. He'll do a tremendous job. In addition, Coach Coffman will take over as the Varsity Assistant this year. We've been lucky to have such high quality individuals coaching lately, especially in volunteers like Coach Coffman and Cozzens.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Hey everyone. I'm sitting in the El Paso airport and they are loading my plane . . .

Warren looked "fine" against N-Y. Venham and Fivecoait did not play, so it was not a normal situation.

Everyone looked good. Hoon and Harris will really contribute this season.

Guards were all hitting 3s.

Vinton will tell the tale . . .

Gotta go!

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

To clarify, Warren beat N-Y pretty easily, but N-Y is still rebuilding. The Warriors looked good at times, and bad at times. They ran the motion offense in a very limited way. Again, what you would expect for first scrimmage. So, they were "fine."

Fivecoait was practicing last night, so maybe we will be at full strength for Friday night.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Warren is running a true motion like they did last year.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

The Warriors scrimmage John Glen today at the Warriordome, 5:30p.

Should be interesting to see how they have improved since Friday. Every practice counts since Fivecoait has just returned. I suspect we'll see more "real" stuff since this will not be as "public" as the Foundation Game with VC.

WHSwarrior
Varsity

Post by WHSwarrior »

It was an interesting scrimmage.
It really didn't seem as if the Warriors won many quarters, but the defense was pretty good, and the motion offense looked, well, like a motion offense does early in the season.

It was most def a physical scrimmage...fivecoait ended up on the ground and got placed in a full nelson by a john glenn player, who started to choke him...they both got ejected.

This warrior team seems to be more grind-it-out than last year's.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Interesting scrimmage last night. John Glen was very physical. Virtually no contested shots were made by the Warriors because they were getting hammered. One Warren player said it was like playing Gus Macker with 5 players per team. John Glen's coach was a nut job who kept screaming at his players about how they were getting their a**s kicked under the basket. In a scramble for a loose ball one John Glen player got Fivecoait in a head lock and started punching him. I had never seen anything like that before. Anyway, as I said, it was interesting. I believe Warren won the first 3 quarters, then Maddox rotated more liberally and Warren lost the last 3 quarters. Fivecoait was also not present for the last 3 quarters because he was ejected for his wrastlin' match. So, in the last couple quarters Warren seemed discombobulated.

Bottom line is Warren did not handle the pressure well. All of the bumping and shoving had their timing off in a scrimmage where their timing needed to be improving. They did not shoot well either.

Alas, the good news is John Glen seemed like a good, tough team, and the Warriors played with them despite having what I thought was a pretty rough night. The Warriors typically have mixed results when they scrimmage the John Glens & Cambridges of the world early in the season. So, in that sense it seemed normal. However, this Warrior team has further to go. It occurred to me last night that this is the first season that this group has played together (like, they have basically never been together in a game before). They have a lot of work to do, but they will have the potential to improve with a pretty steep curve. They will get MUCH better.

So, everyone have a nice Thanksgiving. Warren scrimmages again on Saturday.

warrnwarriorfan
Varsity

Warren defeated Cambridge in a scrimmage this morning. The first group did not lose a quarter, and even with liberal substations I can only remember the Warriors losing a quarter by 1 point. The bench is stepping-up and everyone made something good happen. There is still much to improve, but they looked pretty dang good. This was the best showing yet, with better intensity, better movement on offense, and much better defense. Still too many turnovers, and it was clear that they had some things that they hadn't covered that well in practice, but you would have to consider this to be a nice step forward.

Cambridge was a good physical team, and they seemed well coached. As I posted above, the I-70 teams are typically a real challenge in the pre-seasons scrimmages. It's always good when the Warriors can get the better of them.

The final scrimmage is at Philo on Thursday. Game 1 is around the corner.

bankshot
Freshman Team

Post by bankshot »

warriorfan...i heard the venham boy got hurt...any updates on that...good to hear they are improving

Return to “Boys Basketball”