Congrats on a fine season SW. Elite 8

dimedrop4
All State

Re: SOUTH WEBSTER vs FAIRFIELD CHRISTIAN (3/15) Regional Fin

Post by dimedrop4 »

Fairfield Christian 59
South Webster 55
Final

Webster had this game won and had chance after chance to come back and take it away after being down, but turnovers and careless fouls caused them to pi$$ it away. You have got to be clutch in these kind of games and play smart! However, let the doubters now shut up who said Webster would get stomped. Don't underestimate SE OHIO, we know how to play too!

Great season Jeeps! Almost got it done, but nonetheless nothing to be ashamed of at all!

Buckeye24
Varsity

Post by Buckeye24 »

These two teams were about as evenly matched up as you could be. The only difference is FCA didn't make the mistakes Webster made. If Fuller would have held on to the ball and the end of the 3rd quarter and not turned it over, it would've been a two point game at the end. Regardless, you can't be ashamed of an elite eight appearance.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Great season, post season run by the Jeeps ! congratulations representing South Webster and SEOhio on the regional stage ...

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

again, why wasn't the d4 played at the columbus fairgrounds? i believe d1 played there.

Pressbreaker
Waterboy

Post by Pressbreaker »

frank-n-beans- I have seen Webster play plenty of times, and #24 consistently put this team on his back and carried it. It demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge of the game to criticize a kid who is probably one of the best 2-guards in the area, but plays out of position at the point for the good of the team. Yes he turned it over a couple of times, but he had the ball in his hands the entire game AND is expected to score 15-25 points. I'll take 20+ points and 4 turnovers from my point guard any day, let alone in the regional final against some of the best athletes in the state.
Congrats Jeeps for peaking at the right time and proving to be one of the best teams in the state. I'm sure it hurts tonight, but soon you will be able to look back on this season with pride as you had a great tournament run and played what I believe was your best game tonight against the toughest competition you faced this season.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Last 30 seconds of 3 rd quarter cost Jeeps the game. Down 1 and holding for last shot with Cook on bench previous four minutes,, Jeeps turn it over and Carpenter hits jumper with 4 seconds left. Webster throws inbounds away right under own basket and gives up layup. Gave them 4 points and ended up losing by 4. Carpenter was best player Webster saw all season, and their big man was a stud as well. But Webster belonged on the floor with this team and probably wins if Cook stays out of foul trouble. regardless, hell of a season for Jeeps. Awesome atmosphere tonight...both crowds brought their A games.

Frank and beans: Goddard carried this team along with Cook to a regional final appearance. You could not be more wrong in your assessment of him.

Again, Coach Ater and staff deserve major props for what they did with this team. Fairfield Christian fan told my wife that Webster the most disciplined and well- coached team they have faced. I'd believe it, and that's all due to Coach Ater, Cole, Lower and Fenton. Can't wait for next year.*

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

"If losing didn't hurt so much, winning wouldn't feel so good"

This might be one of the best games I've ever watched. Great atmosphere, FC couldn't miss and the fouls on Cook cost us. Some questionable calls but what's said is done

svbt1112
Varsity

Post by svbt1112 »

That was truly a fun game to watch last night! Both teams played extremely well and at a high level!

I believe that was one of the best if not the best game this group has played together. The guard play was excellent!

FCA has two long, athletic players and our kids just kept coming at them. Some of the shots FCA hit down 1 or down 2 were amazing and gut-wrenching! Yet, our kids kept coming back.

I believe the two 50/50 fouls on Levi in the 3rd were a major turning point. If he is in the game for the entire third quarter then the game plays out differently. His 4th and 5th fouls are not in question but his 2nd and 3rd fouls could have gone either way. Those hurt.

First quarter --- Andrew makes a layup attempt and #3 blocks it after it hit the backboard! True goaltending! But, how often does a high school ref have to make that call? I will give them latitude on that miss and I believe they did a worthy job. Just wish they would have called one of those fouls the other way in the third instead of both on Levi!

Shame on some of the people on here who probably never played a game at this level in their life and point out one mistake made by a high school kid! Our kids played great all night and against a longer--- taller competitor !

Our coaching staff is as good of a group as you could have in a town of any size! They are shaping men and not just coaching boys. Kudos to Coach Ater and staff!! They have to be the most composed-- professional group of coaches in this area. They never draw attention to themselves. They never show up officials. They are truly great representatives to this community. This coaching staff gets it--- they understand it is about the kids and don't try and create attention for themselves.

Great season for the Jeeps!

juanmorales
JV Team

Post by juanmorales »

JuanMorales wrote:Keep hearing how SW keeps losing athletes to other schools yet they are still standing and playing for opportunities to play at State. I guess those kids that left and the parents that let them leave must not want that opportunity, which makes no sense. Why would you leave a D4 school with chances better than any other schools to get to state, for schools that are constantly being ousted in sectionals or districts? How do you not want to play at SW!!?!!? I hope they make it to state!! Good luck Jeeps from this Peake fan!!
Normally the things JuanMorales says on here is just dumb but I couldn't agree more with this. Even for an outsider to SW to see this is good! After that game, that atmosphere, and on that big of stage last night, how are kids leaving? How do kids not want to be a part of that?? How is it that kids want to transfer to burg for baseball when they dont get that kind of atmosphere even winning state? How is it that youd rather go to a school to play football and be mediocre? SW is a type of school that is capable of playing on the big stage EVERY year! That kind of atmosphere cannot be surpassed in any other sport. That includes football. Last nights game was awesome, and even though SW came up short, it was a game that SW ppl will remember forever. Kids played with so much heart. They served this community well! GREAT season SW!

saveTHEnight
Freshman Team

Post by saveTHEnight »

First off... WOW, what a game last night. Jeeps played with incredible poise and heart all night long, nothing to be ashamed of. I also echo the opinions of svbt, art, pressbreaker, and buzz... Some of these opinions of the game by others are simply ridiculous and like previously said, they're most likely coming from those who have never played the game. The game was a GREAT one, and the Jeeps left it all on the court. Probably the best high school game I've ever seen. So many lead changes, and at the end it was a few calls that didn't go SW's way that may have sealed their fate. But that's not an excuse as FCA was a great team with two stellar players. The carpenter kid was just amazing last night, and he along with the big guy inside had to work for all their buckets... So hats off to those kids. But back to SW, nothing to be ashamed of at all... Played your best game in the biggest game of your careers. There is something to be said for that. Hard work, great coaches, and a "never say die" mentality. Truly an amazing year for the Jeeps, but with the recent past of SW basketball I don't see why they can't make more runs in the near future... It was just a little while back no one gave this group a chance, and they proved everyone wrong. Hard work, discipline, and a belief in what your coaches are teaching you on a daily basis goes a long way. Great game last night jeeps, great season, and good luck going forward.

Don KeyPunch
Riding the Bench

Post by Don KeyPunch »

Buckeye24 wrote:
frank-n-beans wrote:Goddard chucks it too quick, turns it over too much and doesn't play D
Ouch. Can't say I agree with you on any of that.
Frank, I'll go out on a limb and say that you haven't been to many jeep games this year... And you definitely couldn't have been at the last two games held at the convo. Goddard does so much for this team and is one of the reasons they went where they did. He can straight fill it up from all over the hardwood, and as pressbreaker said he also has to handle the ball. Not sure if he even came out of the game last night. A testament to his determination along with his stamina to play full speed for 32. Everyone tends to forget the jeeps played 6 guys against a deeper FCA team, they had to be gassed down the stretch but never stopped fighting. A truly courageous effort. Congrats on an exceptional season.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Sbvt: good point on missed goaltending call...it not a call most high school refs are used to calling. Same thing happened at Minford this year. Also agreed on fouls on Cook in 3rd quarter...completely changed the game.

I really enjoyed watching this team this year. No egos, just a group of kids who put personal stats aside to meet team goals. In my opinion, this season was as enjoyable as the State Championship season of 2006 b/c that team was expected to get to State and win, so every game that year was almost more of a relief they won instead of being able as a fan to just enjoy the journey. What a team, what a season.*

Bigbadwolf
Freshman Team

Post by Bigbadwolf »

On behalf of the School Administration, Faculty/Staff, and the great Community of South Webster... Well done Jeeps. You gave everything you had so don't hang your heads. Seniors you will be dearly missed, and to the returning players; don't worry boys, you'll make plenty of noise in 2014. Awesome Season!

Return to “Boys Basketball”