Athens @ VC 1/23

VisionQuest
All State

Re: Athens @ VC 1/23

Post by VisionQuest »

VC had 2 great looks at the end. Speakman drives and penetrates the paint, layup and ball literally went in the basket and swirled back up and out. The score was 52-51 Dogs-game probably over if it goes in. Butcher gets the rebound with 5.3 left and gets fouled and sinks both on a 1 and 1. VC calls TO then inbounds and Naylon Yates gets a good shot at the 3 and the Tie and it bounces off the Rim. But like I said it should have never got to that and will give the Vikings credit for Hounding the Bulldogs with Tenacious defense and causing Turnovers. This should have been a double digit win for Athens. But like I said I will take the win. Get used to that Pressure Dogs and learn from that 4th quarter.

Straightforward1
Waterboy

Post by Straightforward1 »

By far the best teamwork Athens has had all season. IMO the guys who started tonight should be starting every game! Butcher has been unstoppable in several games. Saltzman stepped up and showed great leadership tonight. All the guys worked hard and put the team first and that was the difference.

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Straightforward1 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:55 pm By far the best teamwork Athens has had all season. IMO the guys who started tonight should be starting every game! Butcher has been unstoppable in several games. Saltzman stepped up and showed great leadership tonight. All the guys worked hard and put the team first and that was the difference.
Athens starting 5 were Maxfield, Butcher, Hynes, Saltzman and Chubb. Butcher definitely has big nights when he starts, that is a Fact. Cozart was sidelined with an ankle injury suffered on Friday against Meigs. He did warmup with the team. I expect him to be back for Saturday against Logan Elm.

therealNY
Freshman Team

Post by therealNY »

For the record. I called this upset ha

If you ain't first, you're last!
Chieftain Fan
Varsity

Post by Chieftain Fan »

Good win by the Bulldogs . TVC Ohio up for grabs now .

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Athens against Vinton was a fantastic game. The boys that were out there played with passion-both teams. Vinton is very good. Athens came together as a team with tremendous energy and team work. All along it has been obvious that their rotation can be 8 deep The ball movement and team D and talking to each other was tremendous.. On this site there is always coaching talk. My cousin played for the ABA Memphis team before there was the merger with the NBA. He knew the business of pro basketball. It is VERY dangerous NOT to question coaches or to make people out to be heroes. Look what is transpiring with the Olympic gymnastic team doctor. The Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno situation caused horrific problems. Grown men afraid to question who posers call heroes. I rambled. Getting late .

morehead state
Waterboy

Post by morehead state »

Athens against Vinton was a fantastic game. The boys that were out there played with passion-both teams. Vinton is very good. Athens came together as a team with tremendous energy and team work. All along it has been obvious that their rotation can be 8 deep The ball movement and team D and talking to each other was tremendous.. On this site there is always coaching talk. My cousin played for the ABA Memphis team before there was the merger with the NBA. He knew the business of pro basketball. It is VERY dangerous NOT to question coaches or to make people out to be heroes. Look what is transpiring with the Olympic gymnastic team doctor. The Jerry Sandusky and Joe Paterno situation caused horrific problems. Grown men afraid to question who posers call heroes. I rambled. Getting late .

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:48 pm
VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:44 pm Come on now. You Have to give some credit to Athens here. This game was controlled by them after the 9-9 score in the 1st. Up 34-20 at half. I will also give credit to the Vikings playing tenacious Defense in the 4th. Athens panicked with the big lead and started turning the ball over down the stretch in the 4th. They will learn from that. This was a huge game for them tonight, maybe a turning point. The whole team played well but ISIAH BUTCHER was SPECTACULAR!!! There was no answer for him, I will be interested to see his stat line but I bet he scored close to 30 with some 3s in there. Honestly this should of been a Double Digit win for Athens-But I will take it!!! Bulldogs were all business from the start.
Dickleman play?
I can't believe this is all we get out of you Ironman. I know you love VC. At least give us "wow didn't see that one coming" :mrgreen:

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:08 pm My heart says VC takes control from the get go and Combs schools Athens up. But my gut predicts a couple good breaks, some good shots and a tight game until VC pulls away on ft in the 4th

VC 69
Athens 61
VisionQuest....I guess I’m surprised VC struggled shooting free throws. Had they not my score would’ve been not far off.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:11 am
Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:08 pm My heart says VC takes control from the get go and Combs schools Athens up. But my gut predicts a couple good breaks, some good shots and a tight game until VC pulls away on ft in the 4th

VC 69
Athens 61
VisionQuest....I guess I’m surprised VC struggled shooting free throws. Had they not my score would’ve been not far off.
I don't know about that. If VC shoots better from the free throw line, and maybe has a lead, the entire complexity of the game changes. They wouldn't be in an all out, man-to-man press, trapping and trying to create chaos the last two minutes. Athens led 34-20 at the break, during which time VC was 5-for-9 from the charity stripe. Hardly being 'terrible'. 5-for-9 is not good, but a few more free throws doesn't change the big lead Athens created.

Athens led 44-34 after three quarters and VC was 3-for-4 from the line during that frame.
Athens won 54-51 and VC was 3-for-5 from the line.

Posts about VC is being 'horrible' for the line and costing them the game is a little inaccurate. 11-for-18 for the game.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

VC 69
Athens 61
I don't know about that. If VC hits a few more free throws, and possibly has a lead, the entire complexity of the game changes and they probably wouldn't be in an all out, man-to-man press trying to create chaos the last two min. Athens took a big 34-20 lead into the locker room at half and VC was 5-for-9 from the charity stripe. While that is not good, it's not absolutely terrible and a few more made free throws doesn't change the fact Athens dominated the 2nd Q.

Athens led 44-34 after three quarters and VC was 3-for-4 from the line.
Athens won 54-51 and VC 3-for-5 from the line in the final frame.

For the game: 11-of-18 for the Vikings. I mean, a lot of coaches won't go bizerk if their team goes 6-of-9 from the line in the 2nd half. That's hardly the reason VC lost, like some previous posters have mentioned.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

Love it! Congrats to Athens & Coach C

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:22 am

VC 69
Athens 61
I don't know about that. If VC hits a few more free throws, and possibly has a lead, the entire complexity of the game changes and they probably wouldn't be in an all out, man-to-man press trying to create chaos the last two min. Athens took a big 34-20 lead into the locker room at half and VC was 5-for-9 from the charity stripe. While that is not good, it's not absolutely terrible and a few more made free throws doesn't change the fact Athens dominated the 2nd Q.

For the game: 11-of-18 for the Vikings. I mean, a lot of coaches won't go bizerk if their team goes 6-of-9 from the line in the 2nd half. That's hardly the reason VC lost, like some previous posters have mentioned.
Thanks...reading updates was misleading to me

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Yeah, wasn't Raider giving updates? Well there ya go ... lol

VisionQuest
All State

Post by VisionQuest »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:46 am Yeah, wasn't Raider giving updates? Well there ya go ... lol
1st game between these 2 we saw a 13-12 1st quarter, this game a 9-9 1st quarter. VC dominated the 2nd in that 1st game and Athens dominated the 2nd quarter in last nights game. I think Speakman missed his 1st 4 free throws last night and he made 13-14 in the 1st meeting. It was almost like a total reverse mirror image. Speakman was having trouble penetrating all night with the Athens 3-2 Zone, but in the 4th he started to break down the Zone Defense and get penetration and make layups. Athens will need to look at tape and see what happened there. Not sure if they fell back to the 2-3 or Speakman was just finding a weak spot. Overall great defense by Athens to hold Naylon to 9, Nevan to 4 and Speakman to 8 going into the 4th.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The perimeter defense was much better. In the first match-up you had 5'10 Cozart and 5'10 Williams out top and Yates and company were simply able to shoot over top of them. Yates is a legit 6'3 and shoots a jump shot, very tough to defend. Last night Athens had 6'1 Saltzmen and 6'2 Maxfield on the top of the 2-3, and then moved 6'4 Eli Chubb to the point of the 1-2-2 and it made life more difficult for the perimeter players for VC.

Another big difference was having Butcher in the lineup. He creates a mismatch nightmare for opposing defenses. He is what you would consider a 'stretch-4' and often draws the opposing teams big man. If that post player doesn't come out and guard Isiah, he drains the three (3 of them last night on top of numerous 15-footers). If he does come out and guard Isiah, it pulls a big man out of the paint and allows Hines to operate 1-on-1. Hines ends with 10 points, 10 rebounds.

Athens simply went 'bigger' last night and it paid off.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

VisionQuest wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:44 pm Come on now. You Have to give some credit to Athens here. This game was controlled by them after the 9-9 score in the 1st. Up 34-20 at half. I will also give credit to the Vikings playing tenacious Defense in the 4th. Athens panicked with the big lead and started turning the ball over down the stretch in the 4th. They will learn from that. This was a huge game for them tonight, maybe a turning point. The whole team played well but ISIAH BUTCHER was SPECTACULAR!!! There was no answer for him, I will be interested to see his stat line but I bet he scored close to 30 with some 3s in there. Honestly this should of been a Double Digit win for Athens-But I will take it!!! Bulldogs were all business from the start.
Butcher - 21
Hynes - 10
Maxfield - 10
Saltzman - 7
Chubb - 2
Dickelman - 2
Williams - 2

In addition to Butcher's great performance, that rotation 3-2 and 2-3 defense was solid. Hynes was a rebound leader and 10 solid points working the paint, Maxfield with 5 or 6 assists, 5 steals, (especially the one right before half) a huge 3 pointer and the and/1 shot and screaming and pointing into the Athens crowd before halftime had Athens completely involved, Saltzman stepped up with 7 points and 5 assists, Chubb with some great feeds inside and Dickelman and Williams with some quality minutes. What an exciting game to watch.

Athens played with a bigger line up with Cozart injured which payed off early. They also keyed in on pushing the three point shooters 10 feet off the 3 point line and were able to force Dameron behind the board often double teaming him. Almost a complete game from that team.

Turnovers (bad press passing & just the travel calls underneath) and the VC press almost cost them the game, but they pushed through when they had too. The bigs seems to just step back to allow Speakman in the lane for easy layups which was a bit disheartening at times but I know Butcher and Hynes had at least 3 fouls which could have played a factor to that but regardless would have liked to see them push him out of the lane a bit better.

Nevertheless, Athens played, what I consider the best game of their season. I feel like the Meigs game might have been the catalyst of confidence for this team.
Last edited by Allthewayup11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:22 am

VC 69
Athens 61

I think limiting the three pointers and keeping the Yates boys to 13 points combined and shutting down Speakman in the first half, not to mention forcing Dameron under and behind the board at times with the double team helped their case. Slowing down the pace as well and only allowing for the two surges (one of which Athens fired back with 6) pretty much was the story. Not to mention, just holding on and playing in on of the hardest places to win in SEO. I don't know if this win or the win with Lutz going down was bigger! I guess a coin toss is needed.

Allthewayup11
Freshman Team

Post by Allthewayup11 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:34 am The perimeter defense was much better. In the first match-up you had 5'10 Cozart and 5'10 Williams out top and Yates and company were simply able to shoot over top of them. Yates is a legit 6'3 and shoots a jump shot, very tough to defend. Last night Athens had 6'1 Saltzmen and 6'2 Maxfield on the top of the 2-3, and then moved 6'4 Eli Chubb to the point of the 1-2-2 and it made life more difficult for the perimeter players for VC.

Another big difference was having Butcher in the lineup. He creates a mismatch nightmare for opposing defenses. He is what you would consider a 'stretch-4' and often draws the opposing teams big man. If that post player doesn't come out and guard Isiah, he drains the three (3 of them last night on top of numerous 15-footers). If he does come out and guard Isiah, it pulls a big man out of the paint and allows Hines to operate 1-on-1. Hines ends with 10 points, 10 rebounds.

Athens simply went 'bigger' last night and it paid off.
I agree, the bigger defense and the change at the top worked well. Maxfield's hands were all over the guards and it showed in the steals and Chubb's wide wing span. Even Saltzman (who shot well) and had some strong assist looked like her is growing confidence back.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

I'll give the edge to the game Griff went down. 1. Because it went into OT and 2. Z is/was my favorite Bulldog of all time (even above Burrow) and it was one of his best high school performances. And honestly, last nights win was not that shocking, Athens has all the tools to be good. The year Athens beat VC in McArthur with Griff and Z seemed like more of a true upset.

Return to “Boys Basketball”