2018/19 Portsmouth Trojans

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: 2018/19 Portsmouth Trojans

Post by wobycat »

art_vandelay wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:00 am
wobycat wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:12 pm Trojans are a year away. Next year they will be hard to handle. Very hard.
I get what you're saying cause Portsmouth returns a lot of their team next year, but if shooting (other than Fraulini) is their major issue, what/who is going to change that next year?*
I think they will just become a better shooting team naturally overall like Burg did this year

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

PtownClown: You make some valid points with your post. I have to disagree with some things, though. I have been to every game, and at times the defensive effort hasn't been there, especially the 2nd half of the season. I have seen a number of games where there were too many uncontested layups when the Trojans got down by double digits. The margin of defeat has grown as the season has progressed......Coal Grove and Chesapeake came into our gym and beat us by 31 and 29 points respectively. At their gyms, earlier in the season, the Trojans played much more competitively, losing by 12 and 10 points. The effort the 2nd time around was not there. The margin of defeat almost tripled. Those teams should have never beaten us like that, especially in our gym. Ironton and Gallia Academy also beat the Trojans handily at PHS, and it wasn't just because of a lack of offense. Same scenario, the team got down by double digits, and there were layups that accounted for the final margin.

I agree with you that playing some freshmen and sophomores have figured into the struggle, but I'm glad that Coach Collins is playing those kids. We just can't expect, though, that a year of experience is going to make a major difference in the aspect of shooting the basketball. Going forward into next season, will we have anyone, other than Fraulini that is capable of scoring in double figures on a consistent basis.....and can do so by having a reliable jump shot? Will we be more difficult to defend next season?

The lack of shooting ability has been my main point in my above posts......it's the most serious concern that if not improved between now and next season, how is the season going to be better? Yes, we have a good amount of the roster coming back, but that doesn't automatically guarantee an upgrade in 2019-2020.

GO TROJANS!!

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

I agree totally with the shooting... I have thought about that... how much can someone really improve over a summer? ... there is no doubt you can improve but by how much remains to be seen... I will say this ... I’ve seen Roe and Johnson knock down shots before and I don’t think their form looks too bad so maybe the only thing they are lacking is confidence and still adjusting to the speed of the game...I have confidence that they will get better and there are a couple kids who come off the bench who actually have nice looking strokes... Another thing I have been disappointed in is guys not being able to create space so they can shoot ...it’s been a rough season but I still feel like the future is bright for PHS basketball as long as the kids don’t get discouraged and keep working...I’m not a basketball guru by any means but I feel Fraulini needs to shoot 20 times per game minimum...I’d even consider letting him bring the ball up the court ...screen the ball and give him some options off the dribble... just a thought

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

As a whole I think the kids have hustled but they have had some lapses at times for sure... that too probably has a lot to do with lack of experience and maturity...I see a lot of frustration mistakes especially of late

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

PtownClown: It's refreshing to see posts like yours that is intelligent, coherent, and honest. You and I are on the same page when it comes to the shooting situation of the Trojans. I am very concerned about it going into next season. As you said, we have some kids who appear to have good form and at times have shown the capability to shoot outside, but there just hasn't been enough of it to make a serious impact on the scoreboard.

I'm hoping that the returning kids like Roe, Johnson, Duff, Bryant, Shipp, Bowman, Thomas, Carr and others will take it upon themselves to develop a solid, consistent outside shot which will make them much tougher to defend. Fraulini needs help, because one shooter is not enough to make opposing coaches think of other ways to defend Portsmouth. Perhaps more success on the offensive end will result in more success on the defensive end as well, because kids sometimes tend to get frustrated when the ball doesn't go in the basket, and that unfortunately carries over on defense.

One point I would like to make is that the Trojans probably won't have a dominant post presence next season, with the tallest starters returning being Fraulini and Shipp at 6-2. That makes it imperative that PHS has the ability to score from outside.

If we can improve our shooting next season, I can almost guarantee that Portsmouth basketball will be back to the level of winning 15 games or so a year like has been the case throughout Coach Collins career. The last 3 years have resulted in 15-7 regular season records, and I don't see any reason why that can't happen again in 2019-2020 if we can put the ball in the basket more often. If we can score more, we will be a tougher team to beat.

Wobycat says we are a year away.......I sure hope he's right. LOVE MY TROJANS!! GO TROJANS!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

To the top

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

Trojan Dave can I add something else....when we talk of shooting anymore I think it’s strictly about the 3 pointer...the game has obviously changed...the Steph Curry effect...but how about the mid range game? ...A kid doesn’t have to be a 3 point shooter to be considered a great shooter or scorer...there have been a lot of great shooters/scores who made a living with the mid range game...work on that foul line extended jumper...work on that 10-12 foot bank shot from the wing...work on that floater in the lane...shooting and scoring is more than the 3 pointer... not everyone is blessed with the marksmanship of a Fraulini

Pinky

Post by Pinky »

Might be a down year for the TROJANS but they will be back and it won't be long Collins has been a successful coach since being hired this program was on a downward spiral when he took over and in a matter of 3 or four years he took them to the state who does that ? Look at the record of this program the last few years before he took over.

One of the most underated coaches in the area.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Never count out my beloved Portsmouth Trojans...once the regular season ends everybody is 0-0 and the postseason sometimes brings out the best in teams. Portsmouth is notorious for being a tough out in the tournament. Coach Collins is battle tested and if anyone can have them ready is Geno. Next year will take care of itself...right now is just trying to improve each day going into the tournament. Never know when lightening might strike! JMO.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

PtownClown: Your point about shooting including mid range and short bank shots is something that you and I see in total agreement. To be a great shooter, one must have the ability to knock down a variety of shots.....not just the 3 pointer. Looking at the Trojans, at having been to every game, the number of mid range made shots would probably number no more than a dozen for the season to date. Portsmouth's offense pretty much consists of a drive to the basket or a 3 pointer. The lack of mid range jumpers has really made the Trojans offense predictable and puts Coach Collins in a tough situation. He can only coach the team to its strengths and away from its weaknesses in order to try to win a game. The lack of mid range scoring ability leaves a good part of the floor that other teams don't have to defense because they know Portsmouth will not beat you from there.

Matthew Fraulini has been outstanding for the Trojans in providing scoring support, but just think how much better he and the team would be if the rest of the players could knock down mid range shots.

Austin Webb of South Point is the perfect example of what you and I are talking about......vs. the Trojans at South Point, the 6-3 Webb knocked down two mid range jumpers (both bank shots) late in the game that were critical to the Pointers comeback. Although Webb technically is their post player, he has the ability to make mid range shots. He also hit a 3 pointer in that game. Ideally, that's what I would like to see the Trojans become......a legitimate threat to score from anywhere, and making teams defend the mid range area, which right now has produced little scoring for Portsmouth.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

I'm glad to see Pinky and Jeff Lisath give Coach Collins the props he richly deserves.......on the current thread by Pinky "What has your coach accomplished", I posted Eugene's resume. It is truly outstanding when you consider not only what he has done since he took over, but what the program was mired in when he became coach. Portsmouth had come off 7 straight losing seasons (2003-2009) when Eugene became head coach. Immediately, he turned the fortunes around, going 12-7. Then the next 2 years will always be special in Trojan history. Coach Collins guided the Trojans to back to back Final 4's, the first time in school history, finishing state runnerup in 2012. Those back to back state trips ended a 21 year state tournament drought for PHS, the longest in school history.

In 2015, Collins led his Trojans to the regional finals, losing a close 49-45 contest to Columbus Eastmoor Academy. Over the 9 seasons coming into this year, he has averaged 17 wins a year and has had only 1 losing season, that being in 2013 (10-13) when all but one player graduated from the 2012 state runnerup team. Coach Collins is 5-0 vs. Ironton, Wheelersburg, and Chesapeake in regional play, and has beaten Wheelersburg 11 of the 14 times they have played. He also beat D1 Logan 11 of 12 times, and won at Warren 3 out of a 4 year period.

He has coached 4 of Portsmouth's 1,000 point scorers (Wayne Evans, Dion McKinley, Kendall Reynolds, and all time leading scorer Kyre Allison (1,688 points). Under his watch, 3 Trojans have set the all time individual game scoring mark......Dion McKinley with 42 in 2012, broken by Jayllen Carter with 44 in 2013, and this year Matthew Fraulini with 46 vs. Rock Hill.

This year he is coaching a team that lost 4 starters from a year ago, and even though the team has struggled, he has at the same time included some freshmen and sophomores on the varsity, and several freshmen on the JV........He has a vision for next season.

To date, he is 161-76, which places him only 8 wins from becoming the 2nd winningest coach in PHS history (Red Hopkins 168-58).

Coaching the winningest program in the SE district all time is not an easy job.......there are expectations to go along with tradition that makes the job probably the most unique coaching position in the entire district. At Portsmouth, people who went to school at Portsmouth or who grew up in Portsmouth, or who played for the Trojans know how important the basketball program is to the community. Tournament success is what made the Trojans' program great, and Eugene knows this. He knows that the fans expect a lot, and for the most part have little patience.

He has embraced the job of being the Trojans' head coach, and has gotten numerous compliments from opposing fans and coaches about how he goes about his business, and how his kids act as representatives of Portsmouth HS.

Thanks, Eugene.......these 10 years have been a basketball treat, and there's sure more to come.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth won its first game since the middle of January as they topped Rock Hill 59-50 at RHHS. Danny Lattimore led the Trojans with 24 points, while Miles Shipp had 12. The game was tight for most of the way, but the Trojans pulled away in the last 2 minutes for the final margin. What was very encouraging was that Coach Collins played a lot of freshmen and sophomores. Freshmen Drew Roe (starter), Amare Johnson, and Dariyonne Bryant all saw action, while sophomores Miles Shipp (starter), Caleb Connolly, and Trevor Pope all played. Portsmouth made 7 threes with Lattimore, Matthew Fraulini, and Drew Roe accounting for the trifectas.

Portsmouth is now 7-12 on the season, and 3-8 in the OVC. Rock Hill is still winless in OVC play. Freshman Logan Hankins had a good game for the Redmen.

Portsmouth has a tough task ahead when they travel to Gallia Academy on Friday. GO TROJANS!!!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth fell behind 9-0 and eventually by 17 points to Gallia Academy, but the Trojans made a spirited rally to within 7 points in the 4th quarter. PHS couldn't sustain the charge, and the Blue Devils pulled away again to win 55-37. Portsmouth is now 7-13 overall and 3-9 in the OVC. Matthew Fraulini led the Trojans with 15 points. Coach Collins once again played 3 freshmen and 3 sophomores.

Portsmouth has another rugged assignment on Tuesday as the OVC leading Fairland Dragons come to PHS Trojan Arena. FHS has won 7 in a row vs. the Trojans.

The JV lost to Gallia but have a 10-9 record, a huge improvement over the 1-21 disaster a year ago. Paul Wagner is in his first year as the JV coach.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth plays West Portsmouth in the first round of the sectional on Monday, Feb. 18 at 6:15 PM at Waverly HS. It will be the Trojans second chance vs. the Senators. The first contest resulted in a 61-47 win by WP, one of Portsmouth's worst games of the year. Jesse Johnson of West scored 22 points, while Dylan Bradford had double figures, I think 15. WP held the Trojans' leading scorer Matthew Fraulini to single digit scoring.

If the Trojans were to win that game, they would play #1 seed Adena on Friday, Feb.22 at 6:00 PM at Waverly. Adena had a 15-4 record going into the draw, but lost their PG with an injury and apparently will miss the tournament.

If Portsmouth can muster enough offense, I like the Trojans draw. If they struggle to score like in many games, their stay in the tournament will be short-lived.
Last edited by trojandave on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The OVC was especially rough on the Trojans, as to date they are 3-9 with the only wins being a sweep of Rock Hill and a win at home vs. South Point. Chesapeake, Coal Grove, Fairland, and Gallia Academy all swept the Trojans. Fairland and Ironton remain this week. Perhaps PHS's best game of the year was against undefeated Wheelersburg, in which the Trojans were tied at 40 with the Pirates late in the 3rd quarter before WHS pulled away to win 70-57.

This will be the Trojans' lowest mark (7th) in the OVC standings since Portsmouth joined the conference. Unfortunately my preseason prediction of picking Portsmouth 7th in the OVC is going to be right on the mark. I wish it weren't that way.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Although the Trojans chances of winning the sectional are below average, they will be going for the 65th sectional title in school history. The last sectional championship for PHS was in 2017, when they defeated North Adams to advance to Athens. South Point ended the Trojans' season with a 59-42 win in the district semifinal.

Chillicothe has 38 sectional titles, 2nd to Portsmouth in the SE district.

Wheelersburg is favored to win their 20th district title, which ranks 2nd in the SE district to Portsmouth for district championships. The Trojans have 37 district titles. 21 of Portsmouth's 37 district titles came in the BIG school class, either in Class AAA or Class AA when AA was the BIG school class before the OHSAA went to 3 divisions in 1970.

Portsmouth's 15 state appearances (regional titles) ranks 3rd all time in Ohio, topped only by Cleveland Villa Angela St.Joseph with 16, and Canton McKinley is the all time leader with an amazing 28 appearances.

burgfella69
JV Team

Post by burgfella69 »

trojandave wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:11 pm Although the Trojans chances of winning the sectional are below average, they will be going for the 65th sectional title in school history. The last sectional championship for PHS was in 2017, when they defeated North Adams to advance to Athens. South Point ended the Trojans' season with a 59-42 win in the district semifinal.

Chillicothe has 38 sectional titles, 2nd to Portsmouth in the SE district.

Wheelersburg is favored to win their 20th district title, which ranks 2nd in the SE district to Portsmouth for district championships. The Trojans have 37 district titles. 21 of Portsmouth's 37 district titles came in the BIG school class, either in Class AAA or Class AA when AA was the BIG school class before the OHSAA went to 3 divisions in 1970.

Portsmouth's 15 state appearances (regional titles) ranks 3rd all time in Ohio, topped only by Cleveland Villa Angela St.Joseph with 16, and Canton McKinley is the all time leader with an amazing 28 appearances.
Gotta respect Portsmouth and their incredible tradition. 4 state championships is something to be proud of, considering most schools in the area do not even have one or two.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth struggled mightily again last night vs. the OVC champion Fairland Dragons in a 60-35 loss. Danny Lattimore led the Trojans with 18 points, but PHS fell behind by double digits midway in the 2nd quarter and couldn't mount any rally. This was the 5th time this season that the Trojans scored 37 points or less in a game. Portsmouth is now 7-14 overall and 3-10 in the OVC.

The Trojans will end the regular season at Ironton on Friday.
Last edited by trojandave on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Just giving a glance into next year, the lack of offense that Portsmouth has shown this season could be repeated in 2019-2020. The Trojans lose Danny Lattimore, who along with Matthew Fraulini are the only 2 proven scorers on the team. Without Lattimore, scoring may be as difficult or more so next season. Nobody else has stepped up and given PHS a consistent 3rd scoring option. With Fraulini being the only proven scorer returning, opposing coaches may once again gameplan to minimize Matthew's impact, and right now there is no one who can give us the points that Lattimore provides. So the offensive struggles that have plagued the Trojans this season are likely to continue, and with it a fight to stay out of last place in the OVC, and a 2nd straight losing season.

Portsmouth has had 5 games this season in which they scored 37 points or less. I can't remember a Trojan team that had this many games with so few points.

We have a lot coming back, but as I've told people, it doesn't matter how much we have coming back if they can't put the ball in the basket.

GO TROJANS!!!

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

I think Portsmouth could improve their scoring by doing the little things better....set better screens...come off screens better...move without the ball better...and hopefully Roe and Johnson get more confidence with a season of varsity under their belt...of course they gotta shoot shoot shoot and then shoot some more...I have confidence they will be much better...also in the JV game the other night Chris Duff had a nice game offensively...he has a nice looking stroke...he shows potential...if they put the work in Roe/Johnson/Bryant/Shipp/Fraulini/Duff is a nice nucleus to build off of...I also liked #14 in the JV game...he is athletic...also they need to realize that sometimes a good defense is your best offense...deny those passes on the wing better so you can get more steals and get more fast break points...I think there are several areas other than shooting that they can improve on in terms of scoring...but bottom line you gotta be able to put the ball in the bucket no matter how you look at

Young team...went through some growing pains...but nothing hardwork and maturity can’t overcome

Return to “Boys Basketball”