East District Division IV

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

Re: East District Division IV

Post by allOhiotraveler »

The final week can present a lot of movement before seeding. River has to go on the road to county rival Monroe Central, who almost and should have beat them, which could easily be played as a trap game after a huge win against a top IVC team. Then it appears they have to make the brutal trip to Cameron, WV who is regarded as a top team in the state in Class A.

As always, the district will run through Hiland. Even after a loss at home to a less than remarkable Indian Valley team, even with Tyrone, they are always my pick to make it out until I see otherwise. It's been since 2013 and 2014 that River and Malvern has beaten Hiland to go to a regional, if my memory serves me correctly. I'll be interested to see who the lower seed of Malvern/Hiland jumps on because I could easily see each of them deciding to play River over each other.

In exciting news, the district truly is the best its been (in the top half) in awhile. Maybe not the state tournament firepower at the top as it normally has, but quite a few interesting matchups early on. I am happy to see it!

E High
All State

Post by E High »

I think it’s that way in all 3 divisions in the eastern district.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

E High wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:00 pm I think it’s that way in all 3 divisions in the eastern district.
I'm here for it. Some parity is much needed after some very down years.

hhawk
Freshman Team

Post by hhawk »

Yea AllohioTraveler,I hope River gets the no1 seed,then Malvern or Hiland 2or 3 seed,I think Malvern would like another shot at River on a neutral floor.Hiland will go as far as there defense and rebounding takes them,there not a pretty team to watch on offense,there could be anywhere from six to maybe seven teams make it out of the district tournament this season,my Hawks have not responded well after a big win than face a so called trap game, beating Garaway in a very emotional rivial game to come back and face Claymont and we just very escape that with a win,then beat cross county rivial West Holmes,then come back lose to a hot Indian Valley team,who I think is playing the best basketball in the league right now, Hiland has a real brutal schedule remaining, after tonight's with Sandy Valley who can be dangerous also, finish up with,Tusky Valley,then face a very good New Bremen team from the Mac conference at Smithville HS,then at Ridgewood,then probably Malvern in the IVC Showcase games and finally at a very good Dalton team that can score from anywhere on the floor, probably will be the best offensive team we will see

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

hhawk wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:30 am Yea AllohioTraveler,I hope River gets the no1 seed,then Malvern or Hiland 2or 3 seed,I think Malvern would like another shot at River on a neutral floor.Hiland will go as far as there defense and rebounding takes them,there not a pretty team to watch on offense,there could be anywhere from six to maybe seven teams make it out of the district tournament this season,my Hawks have not responded well after a big win than face a so called trap game, beating Garaway in a very emotional rivial game to come back and face Claymont and we just very escape that with a win,then beat cross county rivial West Holmes,then come back lose to a hot Indian Valley team,who I think is playing the best basketball in the league right now, Hiland has a real brutal schedule remaining, after tonight's with Sandy Valley who can be dangerous also, finish up with,Tusky Valley,then face a very good New Bremen team from the Mac conference at Smithville HS,then at Ridgewood,then probably Malvern in the IVC Showcase games and finally at a very good Dalton team that can score from anywhere on the floor, probably will be the best offensive team we will see
hhawk, I was looking at your schedule on maxpreps and I saw New Bremen on it, but the game was the same day as Smithville. When I went to check your website, it only had the smithville game on there. When is that New Bremen game? New Bremen just beat undefeated Versailles (former #1 in D3). That New Bremen team was one shot away from a regional and potential state appearance. That will be quite the litmus test. I also watched Dalton beat Luthern East at the Lue. I think they are quite honestly the most underrated team in Division 4 at this point. Your schedule is the way it is for a reason and having Ridgewood and Malvern on top of it will the icing on the cake.

Malvern jumping on River wouldn't shock me in the slightest. I also think that River is one team on upset alert early. They play a very tough and low scoring style that can keep teams in the game. Its feasible to think that a team like Strasburg or TCC would want to go in their bracket as well.

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

I was talking with folks about wanting to play River while watching their game the other day.

On one hand, they are the best defensive team I’ve seen all year ( haven’t seen Hiland), but they routinely score in the 40’s which means they are never too far ahead.

Between size, or speed of game, there are definitely bad matchups for top teams out there.

hhawk
Freshman Team

Post by hhawk »

Yea AllohioTraveler, theses games will be played at Smithville HS it's called Battle at the Berkey fieldhouse
Saturday February 5 games
1pm 7-9 Triway vs 11-6 Columbus Grove,was it a finial 4 team in D4 last year
3pm 14-3 Hiland vs 14-3 New Bremen,big matchup in D4
5pm 15-2 Norwayne vs 12-3 Eastern Brown, should be a good one
7pm 11-5 Smithville vs 9-6 Columbus Watterson,a D2 school

Then Sunday feb.6 scheduled
3pm 7-9 Chippewa vs 10-7 Pettisville, from up in NW corner of the state
5pm 17-0 Colonel Crawford vs 14-3 Waverly,a very good D2 team from SE Ohio,and Crawford a D3 from North Central Ohio
7pm 7-8 Wadsworth vs 7-6 Norton
Hopefully these games will get to be played, but the weather doesn't look the best, for some of these teams to travel

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Shadyside at Caldwell in the OVAC semifinal. Could be a preview of a 4-5 matchup in the sectional final

GhostOfHomer
Freshman Team

Post by GhostOfHomer »

1. River 176
2. Hiland 161
3. Malvern 146
4. Caldwell 135
5. Monroe Central 115
6. Strasburg-Franklin 114
7. Shadyside 107
8. Tuscarawas Central Catholic 90
9. Bishop Rosecrans 72
10. Toronto 68
11. Frontier 63
12. Shenandoah 40
13. Conotton Valley 40
14. Catholic Central 26
15. Beallsville 12

dpatty
Freshman Team

Post by dpatty »

1F1E9F8C-0FFB-467C-8059-5D33B5920E88.png

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

As I suspected, every team that could jumped on River. Shenandoah picking them over playing 6th seed Strasburg. Shadyside taking the bye to play River for a third time and Malvern going away from Hiland to get another shot at River. Hiland gets a great draw to the regional, but that is what you get when you are a perennial program.

I'd personally be very interested to see the Caldwell/Hiland district semis. I know the Redskins were blown out by Malvern but I want to see Bede Lori take on a Hiland team that isn't what they usually are. When teams have a bona fide stud with capable role players who can make shots, it can be treacherous for the Hawks. For a kid getting a lot of buzz and visits to D1 mid major programs, I want to see if Lori can take over and will his team to a district final.

For the north side, River will be facing a tough tough draw. Shadyside can pick them off in meeting number 3 and they will be highly motivated for a senior led team that frankly doesn't like River and vice versa. Malvern will be wanting to say that this should be their year at a district.

Is there any noise to say Strasburg can put up a fight with Malvern? With a fellow IVC foe and with coach Hall doing his research, it will be interesting in to see how it plays out.

Winner of the district will face the central district winner in the regional semis, either being probably Grandview Heights from columbus or Newark Catholic.

Love to hear you all's thoughts

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Only surprise in the seedlings to me was Shadyside being the 7. I have 4 of their 5 losses to River and Wheeling Central who are a combined 30-2.

Not surprised Malvern went at River. Malvern played awful. How much of that was because of River? More than Malvern thinks in my opinion.

Caldwell benefitted from being with Hiland. They beat MC easily early on so good draw for them.

River will have to run the gauntlet with potentially needing to beat Shadyside, Malvern and Hiland.

I’ve been told 8 teams could win this district. Coaching advantage to the old guys at River, Hiland and Malvern. Shadyside has the worst coach in the district which likely accounts for their seed despite the talent.

I’ll take Hiland to win over Malvern in the finals.

hhawk
Freshman Team

Post by hhawk »

I wish we could of played this New Bremen team from Western Ohio who probably plays in the toughest D3,D4 league in Ohio, our finial 5 games of the season, were to be a meat grinder, with a good Ridgewood team a very good Tusky Valley team both in our league,then in the IVC Showcase it will be Malvern,then end up with a excellent Dalton team,I don't if we will find a replacement for the New Bremen game or not,if there is any other D4 team in the East district, with a tougher season ending schedule,let me know, I just hope we can 2-2 to end the season,if this season ending schedule doesn't get us ready for tournaments nothing will

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

PVCGuru wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:52 pm Only surprise in the seedlings to me was Shadyside being the 7. I have 4 of their 5 losses to River and Wheeling Central who are a combined 30-2.

Not surprised Malvern went at River. Malvern played awful. How much of that was because of River? More than Malvern thinks in my opinion.

Caldwell benefitted from being with Hiland. They beat MC easily early on so good draw for them.

River will have to run the gauntlet with potentially needing to beat Shadyside, Malvern and Hiland.

I’ve been told 8 teams could win this district. Coaching advantage to the old guys at River, Hiland and Malvern. Shadyside has the worst coach in the district which likely accounts for their seed despite the talent.

I’ll take Hiland to win over Malvern in the finals.
Shadyside did not get the seed that they deserved, that was for sure. Seeing how the teams voted, it definitely appeared that the IVC sticks together when they vote (except Hiland who votes who they believe is best and doesn't appear to be bothered by the politics of it), not so much with the OVAC. A fellow OVAC school voted Shaydside lower than all the IVC schools even!

I think 8 teams have betting odds but it comes down to the Hiland above all else and then River and Malvern.

I will follow suit with your pick PVC guru. I have promised myself and on here repeatedly that I will always pick Schlabach and co until they prove me wrong and that hasn't been for a long time when we talk about district finals.

allOhiotraveler
Freshman Team

hhawk, if you are looking for a tougher schedule than Hiland, you typically will have to look for awhile, especially in the East District. Hiland is going to get late season tests that should work wonders for them. So interested in the Dalton game as I alluded to earlier. Think that Dalton is a huge sleeper team that has a chance to make Columbus. The canton regional all runs through Dalton and Richmond Heights IMO

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Hiland beats Ridgewood
Malvern beats Strasburg
Shadyside beats Caldwell
River beats Barnesville
Wheeling Central beats Monroe Central

So 4-5-6 seeds lose last night

pioneer19
All Conference

Post by pioneer19 »

Looking at the bracket I’m a little confused as to why Shadyside placed themselves in River’s sectional. Seems like the move would have been to jump on Monroe or Caldwell. Two teams they’ve now beat. Maybe it will work out for them and they will pull off the upset idk. Maybe having the bye will be beneficial?

hhawk
Freshman Team

Post by hhawk »

What happened to Caldwell lose again tonight to a below average Frontier team 63-55 wow, got that score from scorestream ,it could be mistake report of a score

PVCGuru
Freshman Team

Post by PVCGuru »

Heard the same thing. Shadyside game seems to have had some carryover to tonight

Sportsfan01
JV Team

Post by Sportsfan01 »

hhawk wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:23 pm What happened to Caldwell lose again tonight to a below average Frontier team 63-55 wow, got that score from scorestream ,it could be mistake report of a score
WTAP shows the same score. Frontier goes to Caldwell to open up the tournament too.

Return to “Boys Basketball”