Hoops Invitational @ Convo 12-15

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

sparky wrote:anymore details about the north adams vs waterford game and the facts about coach young getting the heave ho? if it is true it is a surprise because he seems to work the officials real well but also seems to know when to back off.

Based on the Coach Young's comments after the game he indicated that the first technical was deserved. After receiving a technical the coach must remain seated during the game. The 2nd technical came during a time out and apparently there was some confusion who was charged the time out. Coach Young stood and was talking to the scorers table and was ejected.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

can't a coach who has been t'd up stand up for a time out or does he have to stay seated even during time outs?
surely he must have questioned something during the time out to get tossed or maybe it was an official with a past experience with him with an axe to grind. has he ever been tossed before?

AndyDufresne
Waterboy

Post by AndyDufresne »

I would hope he did something serious to get kicked out. A guy who has coached as long as he has deserves the benefit of the doubt.

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

Coach Young rarely gets technicals and I don't know of him ever getting thrown out of a game. I don't know what the rules are as far as him standing during a time out. From what I've heard it wouldn't matter as far as rules go because the officials in the game didn't have much of a clue anyway.

@nd_1
Freshman Team

Post by @nd_1 »

The rule states that a coach must remain seating except for a timeout, intermission between quarters or halves or to replace a disqualified player. If he went to the table to dispute a correctable error and he lost the dispute his team would be charged a timeout. Something must have happened while he was addressing the table. Not sure.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The story I've been told is that he was purposely T'd up on a crappy goal tending call.......late in the game NA was trying to inbounds....NA calls the TO and the screwy refs tried to give the TO to Waterford.......Waterford's coach and the refs were at the table (during which regardless of any errors made....there was a time out.......Young went to the table to see what is going on and gets tossed by waht must've been one of those refs who was more concerned with winning a verbal battle than officiating the game.

Also noted that 3 fairly well thought of refs were seated and in disbelief themselves.

Gold.and.Green88
Freshman Team

Post by Gold.and.Green88 »

Sparks called a timeout, the announcer said, time out waterford. Coach got up DURING the timeout because he needed to see if he used a 20 second or a full. Rules state that during a timeout, he could stand. That was it. Period. He got up. and got T'd. There is nothing anyone can do. Refs are always right. They can make up rules if they want to, or can be to ignorant to know the rules...
Last edited by Gold.and.Green88 on Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Sounds like a hideous way to miss your first game on the sidelines in 31 years.

Hopefully the ref is happy and is successful in his jr high season.

supadave1
Waterboy

Post by supadave1 »

You can see the games over at http://www.nextvsports.com they have them online now. You can see Dave get the ol heave ho for yourself..

Sweet Pea
Freshman Team

Post by Sweet Pea »

ironman

were you at the game? I just watched it online. Where was the goal tending? That was just a great block - and NA's coach ran past half court to argue - even the announcers were wondering what the "T" was for - they never even mentioned that the block might be a goaltend!! This one was deserved..

As for the 2nd "T" - yeah it looks like the official tried to give the timeout to waterford. But they corrected the call - why argue that?? Your player called timeout, the refs eventually got it right - the timeout was over and players were on the floor getting ready to start play again when he was T'd up again-

So why argue at that point? you already have one T, your up 6 points with 2 minutes left in the game...and the refs have been giving NA almost every call ALL game...maybe it was deserved , maybe not..but again I have to ask

WHY even complain to the refs in that situation?

Watch the game online if you can - with an open mind and watch all the calls.

Late,
sweetpea

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I've already spoke with a well thought of referee that was in attendance.......let's just say he sees it differently than you do.

The first technical was purposely done....he went out to get a "T"...and got one.

I'd like to think the coach with nearly, or just past 350 wins and more consecutive trips to the district tournament with his current school than any other coach in the entire district knows what he's doing. I'm sorry....I'm going with the coach on this one.

And not too mention....the guy's last appearance in the Convo was a heart-ripping regional semi loss on some VERY QUESTIONABLE calls VERY late in the game.

He hasn't missed a game in 31 years of coaching...I really don't think that a non-league game vs a team 150 miles away...in mid December....with a lead is as hostile or even close as he's ever been. Watching the video can't put me down with what was going on all game between him and the officials...I respect what you watched and how you perceived it, but I'm just not going to agree on this one.

Sweet Pea
Freshman Team

Post by Sweet Pea »

I92,

I have to say that I'm just a neutral fan..i saw that there was some controversy, then saw that i could watch it online, and posted my opinion.

That said - I go to the convo to watch districts/regionals every yr. and I personally have enjoyed watching NA over the yrs. They have had some great talent, but more importantly played the game the right way year in and year out (smart, hustle, defense,etc) . Which to me says it all about their coach and i was in no way "bashing" him.

So, I can see where you are saying that this was basically a "meaningless" non-league game - but with getting the 1st T.. I still wonder why you argue with the refs in a meaningless game over a meaningless call...only to have to set 2 more games - which is unfortunate!

anyway - I look forward to watching NA in the districts and or regionals again this yr - - and I'll probably be rooting for them!

late,
sweetpea

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

Ironman - I was there, and honestly, there was at least one other exchange prior to the second T with the NA Coach. It was testy, but I could not hear what was said. It occurred when the NA coach was on his behind, but running his mouth during the game. The ref was clearly agitated with what was said, but refrained from T'ing him up for the second time.

Honestly, I was surprised when he got the second T. It seemed as though if he was going to get the second T, it should have occurred during the exchange that I previously cited.

Maybe what was said in the prior exchange set the stage for the second T. Seems as though your referee friends (and I saw them all sitting over there, some of them are good refs, some of them are not very good). So, I'd take the comments (unless you know this ref really well and feel that he is infallible), with a grain of salt. ;-)

Doing someone else's Dirty Work....
g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

No dog in this fight but here is what I saw...

First technical was deserved, Coach Young really let the one official have it. I don't know the official's name so lets just call him "stretch pants".

During a timeout, "stretch pants" calls the two other officials to a meeting at center court. Not in front of the scorers table, I'm talking in the middle of the floor, on top of the insignia. Both teams break the huddle and Coach Young walks to the scorers table. The ball was being inbounded on the opposite baseline so there were no officials around the scorers table. It appears to me that he was talking to the official scorer and I did not see any officials close to him.

"Stretch pants" was near midcourt and called the second technical.

You can see it on nextvsports.com (1:23 remaining in the game)

As I said before, I have no dog in this fight.. Just an impartial observer.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

since no names have come up about who the refs were any idea where they were from?

Gold.and.Green88
Freshman Team

Post by Gold.and.Green88 »

Haha... stretch pants.... I call him.. "Mr. I Have My Pants Up to My Armpits"

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

lol

Stetch pants makes me think of the one guy who quickly t's up coaches....but I doubt it's him as I've seen him numerous times and someone would know who he was.

One thing is for sure....none of this matters now. It's over and done with.

Best of luck to North Adams, Waterford and stretch pants.

Return to “Boys Basketball”