ALL-TIME SVAC TEAM

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

As for the 16 ppg by Swain, Unroe, Poling and Brace.
I believe it! I watched them play. Those guys were a team. Their play was totally different than anything you see nowadays. Not a single one of them was a standout. They were very unselfish and played well together. They fed off each others' strengths.

Mike Jenkins was one helluva coach. (I wonder what it would take to bring him back into coaching?)

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Post by friday_nite_fan »

boogerred wrote:Mike Jenkins was one helluva coach. (I wonder what it would take to bring him back into coaching?)

I know for a fact he is a huge fan of ice cream, future knows what I'm talking about. I've watched him go through gallons of it over the years. Maybe a few buckets of it and he would come out of retirement. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bettis
Varsity

Post by bettis »

I have nothing against Jenkins, but I don't agree with being a great coach. He had great teams and players. I don't think we need him to come out of retirement. We are doing okay with the coaches we have. We just need the boys to be more dedicated. I notice mot of them worry about their girlfriends in the stands instead of playing ball.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

I wasn't suggesting him coming back to replace Donnie. Donnie has done well, just having a not so great year.

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

bettis wrote:I have nothing against Jenkins, but I don't agree with being a great coach. He had great teams and players. I don't think we need him to come out of retirement.

Please tell me you are joking!!!!! Coach J was one of the best coaches in this area for years. A team can have all the talent in the world (which was not the case at Hannan Trace), but you still have to have a great coach to lead them to victory. If he wasn't a wonderful coach, why was he selected as the 1st coach in history at River Valley???? I can tell you why, he was the best candidate by far in the county school system and top 5 in Southeastern Ohio.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

I have to agree with Coach Jenkins being a great coach. He was cocky but a great coach. He new the game inside and out. I remember playing against him in practice and he was a very smart player. Coach Saunders leanred under him for years. Thats another reason coach Saunders is a good basketball coach. I agree with boogered of having a down season. Lately, SG is coming out of it though. They have displayed a little more hustle and more team work. The LIL JV team has shown great husltle at times. They held their opponent to 3 points at halftime yesterday. I was very proud of the team effort.

Fridaynitefan, you would have to throw in a big spoon with a gallon of ice cream and some tighty whiteys...

bettis
Varsity

Post by bettis »

I have to disagree with not having much talent at HTHS. I am not sure where you were in the 80's and early 90's. I can't remember a team that did have the talent. I know Donnie is having a down year, but everyone thought he was great when we were winning. I don't want to take anything from Coach Jenkins, but I don't think I would put him on the top 5. That is my opinion.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Everyone can have their opinion and will, that is fine. Mike Jenkins was a very good coach and a very, very inteligent man. I just wish it had ended better for him at South Gallia! 8) I consider him a friend!

tubby
Varsity

Post by tubby »

gatorbaitneedstolearnhowtopunctuatehissentencesmaybeifhespentasmuchtimestudyingashedidplayingballhewou
ldknowwhataperiodorcommawas

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

I would like to add that coach Jenkins was one of the best ever to coach in the SVAC. When the schools consolidated he left his heart at HT. Jenkins is one of the most intelligent men I know. He took alot of mediocre talent and won with them. He is in the top 5 ever to coach in the SVAC. I believe he averaged 15 wins a season in his stay at Hannan Trace. He was selected 1st to coach at newly consolidated RV. That has to say something about his knowledge and character.

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

He was also the first coach in South Gallia history. He is pretty mean with a ping pong paddle too, just ask the jungle cat!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fan-o-Southern
Varsity

Post by Fan-o-Southern »

4sporterEHS wrote:I dont think Eastern ever had any great teams, but there was a Bissell boy or two who were always good

Ah contrare, EHS had some good teams in the early 70's, I recall going, then was Chillicothe, for district or sectionals. Dennis Eichinger Tom Karr, the Caldwell boys (Bobbie and the infamous Howie) as a stand out, and I remember Arthur Clarke from North Gallia as standouts. I recall a Keener fellow from Miller, and another guy from SouthWestern, Carter maybe?

Rebelcat
All Conference

Post by Rebelcat »

I was a freshman at Hannan Trace during coach Jenkins first year at Hannan Trace. What he taught was not rocket science. He insisted that we become fundementally sound and never beat ourselves. We played within our ability and always a tenatious hard nose defense. Condintioning was key. In 1984 when we captured the SVAC Co championship HT did not have a lot of depth. We controlled the tempo of the game to make sure that it always favored us. As the HT program grew, the style became different. The teams from the late 80's and early 90's had more depth and generally scored more points but make no doubt they still played stiff defense.

Mike Jenkins was not nor will he ever be the greatest coach that walked a sideline in gallia county, however, he always was consistent in his approach and his expectations. Play hard, give it everything you have and good things will happen. We played as a team. Because of that we WON as a team.

One simply needed to look at 1983 when HT finished .500 and lost that year to Kyger Creek 3 times. In fact, KC beat HR 93-39 (i think) in the first game of the county tourny at KC and I will never forget coach Jenkins walking in and looking at us and saying "i dont know what to say?" Just come out when its time to play the second half. He was furious with us. We played KC 2 more times that season and lost by 20 and then by 10. The next season with basically the same 5 starters on each team Hannan Trace won all three and captured the league title. Jenkins got the most out of his players and always taught us that collectively we can acheive so much more than individually.

For anyone who is intersted, I actually have a copy of the 1994 HT Southern VHS tape when the wildcats won 48-45. I do not have the entire game but do have the complete 4th quarter.

I miss those days!

PS. SOUTH GALLIA MUST JOIN THE TVS

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

PS south gallia's trips would be way to far for the tvc. They need to get in the soc

bettis
Varsity

Post by bettis »

I agree we need to be in the SOC, the TVC is too far for us to travel.

boogerred
All State

Post by boogerred »

Anybody who would doubt WHAT Mike Jenkins knows as a basketball coach obviously hasn't had the opportunity to just stand around and talk basketball with the man.

I played for good coaches (one who ended up coaching collegiately for several years) and I pick up lots of interesting things about basketball just from talking to the man.

Fan-o-Southern
Varsity

Post by Fan-o-Southern »

Hmmm, is there a "we've gotten off-topic" emoticon on here?

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

I talked to Coach J on Monday evening for quite awhile and he told me himself he wished he didn't leave coaching so soon. You can tell when talking to him that he wants to be on the sidelines. I would love to see him coach one more team before he retires from teaching.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Coach Jenkins was a great game coach. I remember showing up to RV early for a girls basketball game, and the last hour of practice Coach Jenkins was laying on his side with his head propped up on his elbow while laying under the wall mat under one of the baskets. And I might mention, coaching his butt off. Pretty funny site.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Spartan-Believe it or not I can picture that. 8)

Return to “Boys Basketball”