Portsmouth Basketball 2009-10

wipala
Varsity

Re: Portsmouth Basketball 2009-10

Post by wipala »

Wish coach and the team a great season. Trojans hold it together and come H--- or high water stick together and the results will be positive not only in BB but in life!!!
A trojan from the 60's
WipalaWalt

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

It sure sounds like the Trojans are headed in the right direction. Glad to see that Coach Collins is running a tight ship. I have a feeling that the Trojans are going to be a very fun team to watch again. I am also anxiously waiting to see what happens with Tory Horn. He could defiantly be an asset to this team if he buys into Coach Collins system. Even without him I think the Trojans have plenty of talent, and will be a surprise to some of our opponents.

BEST OF LUCK TROJANS

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Foundation game is Tuesday,,,everyone should come out for the Trojans,and Titans,to support their teams,and help out The Red Cross.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Is that for sure a Tuesday game, I was told otherwise and was going to have to miss it.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Thanks, Tobias and biggdowgg, for the info about the Greenup scrimmage.......I was very happy to hear that we pressed the Musketeers.......I know from watching practice that Coach has emphasized pressing.........it seems like the kids are learning how to make it work to their advantage.

Finally, after missing the first 2 scrimmages, I will get to watch the Trojans on Tuesday!! I am looking forward to seeing how our kids play, and especially excited to see how the press looks..........I agree with Trojan FB Alum......that the Trojans will be very fun to watch this year.......it is always fun for me to watch a team that likes to press........and pressing is more like Portsmouth basketball........GO TROJANS!!!

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

trojandave wrote:it is always fun for me to watch a team that likes to press........and pressing is more like Portsmouth basketball........GO TROJANS!!!

I totally agree, sounds like we will be back to playing the style of basketball, I remember going and watching as a youngster. Although I try to attend a decent number of basketball games each year I don't get into it as much as I do football, however the closer we get to the season, and the more I hear about Coach Collins and the team the more excited I get. Hope to see the Trojans pressing and running lots of fast breaks. we have the speed that could give teams some real fits.

How are the big guys doing? I like seeing big Casey Sanders on the roster, he is a force on the football field, and I imagine he can clear some boards as well.

17boards
Waterboy

Post by 17boards »

Torne Horner is enrolling back at PHS?

southernohiofan
JV Team

Post by southernohiofan »

sounds like portsmouth basketball is on the right direction and it seems they have a coaching staff with alot of experience and if tory horne is back that would be a great addition to the team

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Trojan FB Alum: Casey Sanders is a valuable part of our team.......he is pretty nimble on his feet for a kid his size (6-5, 250 lbs.), and he will be difficult to keep off the boards......he won't be a big stat guy, but he gives the Trojans some much needed depth in the paint. I think playing basketball will actually help Casey for next football season......it will improve his overall agility.

17boards: As far as Tory playing basketball at Portsmouth......I won't go into specific details, but the picture should become much clearer by the end of next week.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

This year begins a new decade for Portsmouth........the decade of the 2000's was the WORST 10 years in school history........for the first time ever, PHS posted a losing record for a decade.........here is the Trojans year by year record for the historic 2000's:

2000: 14-8 District runnerup
2001: 19-5 District champions
2002: 15-8 District runnerup
2003: 8-13
2004: 9-14 Last sectional title......beat Alexander 59-57 for sectional championship
2005: 6-15
2006: 6-16
2007: 4-18
2008: 9-12
2009: 10-12

Totals: 100-121

1 district title......2001........the 2000's also produced the fewest district titles in school history for a decade......that lone win over Warren (65-54) for the D2 district title.......Portsmouth lost to Cambridge 44-33 in the regional semifinal. The 2000's also was only the second decade ever that the Trojans failed to advance to the state tournament.......the other decade was the 1950's.......the 1954 and 1955 teams did advance to the Elite 8 before losing.

Portsmouth started out the 2000's with a very good 48-21 record through 2002......then the program completely collapsed to a 52-100 mark for the last 7 years.......those 7 years also being a school record for most consecutive losing seasons.

Hopefully we can get off to a good start in this new decade........

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

I heard that Tory Horn will be back at PHS this week, if he isn't already there. 8) I don't know if and/or when he can join the team.

trojandave wrote:I think playing basketball will actually help Casey for next football season......it will improve his overall agility.
I agree, I love it when I see linemen playing basketball or running track. Both really make quick athletic linemen. I think his football experience may help him on the court as well. I doubt there are many out there that would want to get locked up with Casey in a struggle for a rebound.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

My boys shaping up right as the season begins tonite. Here's my lil 2 cents...Hope the kids don't pass up good shots. Sometimes they don't make sound basketball decisions and try to over think. Take the shot if it's there. Don't overpass. It's the same game you've been playing since you were youngsters, just ball and Go Trojans.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

Also I just wanna reiterate what's been buzzing around about the Horne kid. There's been a lot of speculation as to whether or not he'll be allowed to play for Portsmouth. Now this is just what I've heard various people around the gymnasium rumoring so take it for what it's worth. I heard several people say Horne will have to go before an OSHAA review board to determine if he's eligible. I also heard someone mention he played in a scrimmage in Sandusky this year so his fate is in the board's hand. Anyways, good things I saw at the game against ND. But let's not overstate who we are because who we played, while they gave a valiant effort, they're not exactly the caliber team we'll be playing in the SEOAL. So here's a quick recap...We pressed a good amount. Shot the ball efficiently, and had a stellar performance from Wayne Evans. On the downside Forrest wasn't at the game(sickness) and there were no other standouts in my opinion. Overall I'd give the Trojans a C grade. But all in all they did well.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

jgordon0315: Good to see you've come out of hiding to re-join the Trojan Nation of SEOPS posters.......saw you at the game last night........

It was my first look at the 2009-2010 Trojans.......and I really LOVED THE PRESS!!! Coach Collins has the perfect system to fit our personnel........create turnovers and hurried plays off the press, and then push the ball up the court on our possessions.......this fully utilizes our athleticism........the consensus among the fans I talked to last night was that this style of play is what they have wanted to see for a long time........win or lose, PRESSING AND RUNNING IS PORTSMOUTH BASKETBALL!!!

Wayne Evans was outstanding with 24 points and Tre Underwood plays hard in the paint......I love the way he attacks the glass on both ends of the court........Tre is much improved over last year. Isaiah Reeves played well off the bench.

Good to see Notre Dame have a record number of kids coming out for basketball......and in the end this should result in more wins for the Titans and coach Matt Mader.

Portsmouth could see quite a few personnel changes within the next few weeks, including the possibility of Tory Horne joining the team.......scheduled to return are Forrest Johnson, Mason Jordan, and Dion McKinley.......so the Trojans in a month could have a far different look.

GO TROJANS!!!

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Forrest Johnson, Mason Jordan, and Dion McKinley

when,"if" these 3 kids join the team,we will be much better.

I am one,that is a big fan of press,,and run,and we did that pretty well last night,esp with coach Collins getting all the kids in that he did,our younger kids got to play a lot in the varsity game

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Forrest Johnson was back at practice last night........he should be ready to go for the Trojans' opener vs. South Webster.

biggdowgg: I just hope with all these possible changes on the roster that we can develop a "chemistry", which is almost as important as the talent a team has..........CHECK YOUR PM'S..........

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

WARNING, RUMOR ALERT!!!!!! The following is to ask a question about a rumor that I have heard.

Will Tory Horne be joining the team tonight? I have heard that he will be able to start practicing with them. Can anyone confirm or dismiss this rumor? I don’t know if this means he has been cleared by the OHSAA to play at PHS this year, or not. He may just be allowed to practice, at this time. I know we had another player that was waiting on official word from the OHSAA on eligibility regarding a nonacademic, and non-transfer, related issue.
Sure hope we are able to get all these guys on the court. Looks like we have a lot of talent, as Trojan Dave said we will have to see what kind of chemistry they develop.

southernohiofan
JV Team

Post by southernohiofan »

sounds like if everyone is eligable trojans will be loaded for a good run, but no matter who you have you have to play as a team to win not individuals

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

The beauty of basketball and sports in general is the old saying, "and that's why they play the game." We can all be prognosticators and say how great a team can be or how this team will beat that team. Now I like somewhat how the Trojans looked against an undermanned ND squad but I wanna see how they react when a team can put up a better fight. Never thought I'd be quoting Mike Tyson but he said it best when he said, "Everybody's gotta gameplan till they get hit in the mouth. I wanna see how our Trojans react when they go against somebody who can counter. Hey TrojanDave, What's South Point predicted to look like this year. And do you feel like we're gonna be better record wise and style wise this year than last. and can I get a PM.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Trojan_FB_Alum wrote:WARNING, RUMOR ALERT!!!!!! The following is to ask a question about a rumor that I have heard.

Will Tory Horne be joining the team tonight? I have heard that he will be able to start practicing with them. Can anyone confirm or dismiss this rumor? I don’t know if this means he has been cleared by the OHSAA to play at PHS this year, or not. He may just be allowed to practice, at this time. I know we had another player that was waiting on official word from the OHSAA on eligibility regarding a nonacademic, and non-transfer, related issue.
Sure hope we are able to get all these guys on the court. Looks like we have a lot of talent, as Trojan Dave said we will have to see what kind of chemistry they develop.

Horne ,has a hearing with OHSAA,on the 10th of this month

Return to “Boys Basketball”