#1 Warren vs #7 Waverly (District semi-finals)

bengalfan76
SE

Re: #1 Warren vs #7 Waverly (District semi-finals)

Post by bengalfan76 »

Warren up by 10 with 45 seconds left.

softballer24
Freshman Team

Post by softballer24 »

Congrats to Warren on the Win!

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

58-48 Warren I believe. Congrats Warriors!

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Waverly just didn't have an answer in the second half, a good run at the end of the year though.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Waverly hurt when their heart and soul Harrison Martin goes to the bench with 3 fouls early in the 3rd. Tigers were up 7 and before he got back in Warren was up 5. The 12 point swing gave major momentum to the Warriors.

Sometimes matchups are unavoidable but Martin guarding Venham the whole game might have hurt. From the upper deck, I would have rolled Ward and Kretzer on him

Warrens pressure also speed up the game and got them some easy turnovers. IMO other than the foul trouble on Martin, Hasties to big 3 balls in the 3rd swung the big momentum.

SEOAL plays for a district championship next Friday. Convo will be loud with plenty of Blue and White.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

congrats coach maddox and the warren warriors from Logan!

southernohio13
Freshman Team

Post by southernohio13 »

Congratulations to Coach Maddox and the Warren Warriors on the victory tonight. It speaks well of your program to go the district finals again.

I was hoping to see Coach Robertson call more timeouts in the 4th to try and stop Warrens momentum. I don't think Waverly was out of timeouts because they called one when they were 11 points down. I would've like to see him burn them quicker.

I believe Waverly finishes the year 11-12 or something like that. Somewhat of a bad year with the overall record but did knock off MT and Hillsboro in the sectionals.

Maybe some better luck next year.

onthepitch
Freshman Team

Post by onthepitch »

Congrats to Warren on the win.3 rd quarter adjustments got the tigers again just because you have the lead doesn't mean you don't make adjustments. Martin was best player on the floor tonight and hats off to Taylor Ward shutting Cunningham down once tigers went man to man. Martin getting 4th foul midway through 3rd on cheap foul cost tigers . After watching both games looks like another district title for the Cavs. They will win by 15+. Great career for Harrison Martin!!!!!!

socman
Varsity

Post by socman »

A tale of 2 halfs. One with Martin and one without.

Warren went up big early but Waverly stayed strong and pounded the ball inside where Martin took over. I believe they turned an 8 pt deficit to a 8 pt lead with 5 minutes to play in the 3rd. Warren simply didn't have an answer when he got the ball in the paint.

Harrison picked up 2 quick fouls within a minute and the game changed completely. Not only did they miss his inside presence but also his ability to help Waverly break the press. #21 from Warren came up big and knocked down 2 3's and a couple FT's to give Warren the advantage and Waverly never recovered.

#23 made some big shots for Warren as well. Unfortunatly for Waverly they didn't get a very good game from Kretzer or White. I really thought Waverly was about to blow the game open with a double digit lead early in the 3rd. Warren made the plays and deserve the win. However, I'm not so sure the better team won tonight.

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

socman wrote: Warren made the plays and deserve the win. However, I'm not so sure the better team won tonight.
Wow! a 10 point win, playing for the District Title and still NO respect! Keep battling Warriors.

southernohio13
Freshman Team

Post by southernohio13 »

That doesn't surprise me.

Auburntgrfan
All Conference

Post by Auburntgrfan »

Sour Grapes. At this point in the season whoever is playing deserves to be there and Waverly deserved to be in this game tonight, they won their way in, so did Warren. Obvoiuusly tonight it was the Warriors that proved they deserve to be in the championship game, Oh, yeah they are in the championship game. So, wish the Warriors well and now for a week of smack talking. But all the talking in the world, means squat. Because the two teams have to walk out on the floor and play the game. It is in their hands. Both teams will bring the best they have to offer to the game, both are quality teams, both will have nothing to drop their heads about when its over. How about this, cliche I know but: May the best team win. Good luck Warriors.

Farr
Riding the Bench

Post by Farr »

Capn Scoop...You have any idea what the Warriors shot from the free throw line....I would bet it was less than 50%......as far as what I saw....I saw a very sloppy game played by Warren and a really strong 2nd quarter by Waverly....Harrison Martin is a very nice Athlete (also an exceptional Baseball Player). I thought game was officiated well but rather tight. Ticky tack fouls everywhere. Gald I was in attendance to see our guys press through a game when things were clearly not going well for them. When our starting outfield was on the court I was thinking, please dont get hurt.......

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

tough loss for the tigers, they did exactly what they were supposed to do, pounded the ball inside, got to the line but could not hit free throws all night, like to see the stats on that one. harrisons fouls yeah that hurt. Warren well hmm the scouting report on them was right on the money. would like to have a mulligan on this game. but its 1 and done so stick a fork in us. good luck to warren.

32, 16, 6
JV Team

Post by 32, 16, 6 »

ttt
Last edited by 32, 16, 6 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Excoach78
Freshman Team

Post by Excoach78 »

20-3!!!!!! HISTORY was made tonight for the Warriors!!!! First Warren BOYS Basketball TEAM to WIN 20 game in a season. HOW SWEET IT IS!!!!!! Great game for the WARRIORS, I thought EVERYBODY played well. KNOST IMO was the KEY and the player of this game. Way to shut down Kretzer in the 2nd half. OUTSTANDING DEFENSE on a very good player!!! Martin in foul trouble was big but the defense Knost played was HUGE. Venham played like he was on a mission. Should have went to him more in the 1st half. The DUNK at the end was icing on the cake on a good night for him. Cunningham was Cunningham a solid game. The rest of the Warriors, TEAM EFFORT. The DEFENSE and the BENCH helps WIN games. District finals AGAIN,Chilli AGAIN, I can't wait for Friday night at the CONVO.
GO TEAM WARREN WARRIORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Silent Season?

Schnellfritz
Varsity

Post by Schnellfritz »

The game I saw included two very good teams. Warren took an early lead but Waverly bounced back with their inside shots to lead at the half. Then, Warren came out in the 2nd half and pressed Waverly into committing turnovers and took them out of sync with their gameplan. This was the key. Warren's bench proved invaluable by supplying fresh legs on the court without losing intensity. When you have two complete teams at your disposal, it's priceless! Kudos to Waverly for advancing to this game and wish you luck for next year. As for Warren, I and a host of family will be there next week to watch the 2nd game of the year against Chillicothe. May the basketball Gods be with you!

mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Glad to see the Washington County team get the win.

Best of luck to Warren in the district finals!

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great game last night between two good ball clubs... one - the Warren Warriors bringing 9 players to the floor getting offensive production from 7 of the 9 ... Waverly playing 7 out of necessity with 4 players contributing on the offensive end ... Defense WINS in the post season - Warren brought the kitchen sink and more at the defensive end as the Warrior pressure got both the early lead for the Blue in the 1st quarter of action AND got them back in it in the 3rd (as quoted/paraphrased from another poster "the ability to play a second team with the same or more intensity as the first team is a great luxury - the Blue have THAT luxury) ... Warren's 2nd team was THE deciding factors in this - GREAT defense by Knost on Kretzer (only 6 points in the 2nd half), Knost/ Henthorn/ Ward/Winalnd kept the pressure going that was put on by Hastie/Cunningham/Venham forcing Waverly into 5 crucial TOs in the deciding 3rd quarter of play ... Warren 40 Waverly 35 after three ... the final quarter as always came down to defense and FT shooting - Warren held the Tigers scoreless in the 4th frame for almost 4 minutes (a Martin FT with 4:24 to play broke the dry spell) ... the Orange & Black was forced into fouling to get the ball and in hopes that Warren would continue it's anemic FT shooting (Blue went 10/16 from the line in the 4th) ... Waverly put Martin BACK in the game with his 4 fouls at the 7:49 mark trailing 35-42 (Martin fouls WERE the KEY factor in this one as Martin picked up foul number 4 with 4:45 remaining in the 3rd Tigers up 35-27 the Tigers did not score the rest of the 3rd - a 13-0 run by Warren to close the third - Martin on the bench ... as I posted the Orange and Black started the 4th WITH Martin in the game for most of the scoreless 3:36 of 4th = Warren D shutout the Tigers for 6 minutes 51 seconds(3rd & 4th scoreless streaks combined) while Warren went on a 15-0 run) ... Warren 58 Waverly 48 a final ...

... pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Waverly ...

Scoring ... Harrison Martin 21, Kretzer 18, Taylor Ward 4, Kelly 5

3 Pointers ... 1/11 ... Kretzer 1

FTs ... 15/26

TOs ... surprisingly only 12 on the game ...

... pfloyd's Official "unofficial" Napkin Stats - Warren ...

Scoring ... Grant Venham 17, Austin Cunningham 17, Jeremy Hastie 9, Josh Winland 6, Jace Knost 4, Dylan Leffingwell 2, Tyler Ward 1 ...

3 pointers ... 4/9 ... Hastie 2, Cunningham 2

FTs ... 16/30 ...

TOs ... 10

... a few pfloyd imo's ... to pick up W's in the post season a team needs at least 3 scorers - Warren has the 2 headed monster of Venham/Cunningham ... last night the BIGGEST points came from Jeremy Hastie (2 gigantic 3balls in the 3rd) ... to pick up W's in the post season a team needs DEFENSE - this doesn't translate into turnovers all the time ... it is reflected in the "rhythm" or in the case of the defense "breaking up of the rhythm" of your opponent - the Blue ran 9 players interchangeably throughout this one "as the rule" not by necessity due to fouls etc. - "rhythm interruptus" vs Waverly in quarters 3 & 4 ... some guarantees from here on out - Warren WILL see all types of zones forcing the Warriors to prove they can win from the perimeter ... Warren WILL have to knockdown more than last nights 16/30 FT's to continue to advance ... the one and done season requires 4 quarters of solid/no letdown defense on the perimeter AND in the paint to advance not 2 quarters ... opponents at this point of the competition ALL know what YOU know (defense wins etc) - it comes down to which TEAM executes better for more of the 32 minutes than the opponent ... got to win "execution minutes" ...

Last edited by pfloyd on Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Boys Basketball”