D4 Northwest Sectional

Crab's Brother
SEO

Re: D4 Boys Northwest Sectional Teams and Outlook

Post by Crab's Brother »

a_c_m wrote:
Madness wrote:The coaches are going to vote to avoid Waterford in the district and try to put certain teams where they have to deal with Waterford in the district instead of meeting them in the regionals. Regardless of how the teams get seeded, they still have to play their best once the sectional starts because any of the top 8 can win it. It will be fun to watch.
I'm curious, why should any of the Northwest Sectional teams want to shy away from Waterford. What does Waterford have?
It's simple why you shy away from Waterford....They are the only team in that sectional that could come to the Northwest Sectional and compete. The #8 seed at Northwest would be the #2 at Meigs.

Let use Pfloyd's rankings to seed and look at this.

Northwest:

1. Clay
2. Eastern
3. Peebles
4. Webster
5. Fairfield
6. ND
7. East
8. Western
9. Manchester
10. New Boston
11. Whiteoak

Meigs:

1. Waterford
2. Trimble
3. Miller
4. Belpre
5. St. Joes
6. Symmes Valley
7. Southern
8. Eastern
9. Green
10. South Gallia
11. Fed Hock

So, in this scenario Peebles and ND play. That looks like it would be a battle. Webster and Fairfield would probably also be a great one. Peebles-ND winner gets a likely matchup with Trimble who "best win" is probably over an 8-6 Nelsonville team. Where as the survivor of the SW-Fairfield game gets a battle tested Waterford team that was behind from football and just now hitting their stride.

The #1 here is important. Of course you have to win games and you have to beat them at some point. But I think a Western-Belpre-Peebles/ND path looks better than an East-Miller-Waterford path to the sweet 16.

I feel that only the 4-5 Northwest winner will have a tougher game at the Convo than in the Sectional. Again, just an opinion, but a Trimble-Miller-Belpre lineup doesn't seem as tough as Western-East-ND. At least that is true in 2017. It has been like that much lately.

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

As of right now, id have Fairfield over Peebles and Peebles over Webster. So Fairfield at 3, Peebles at 4, and SW at 5, with the bottom staying the same. I think Western can help their chances but the most they move up to is a 6 but I don't think they go any farther. If East losses to Eastern Friday, than I think East is a lock for the 8 seed. I do like your assessment though on the sweet 16 situation.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Very good assessment, Crab.

Looking at the Meigs Sectional makes my stomach cringe a bit. I mean, the #10 South Gallia nearly beat the #2 Trimble team last night. South Webster beat South Gallia by 40 and that's with starters not playing the ENTIRE 4th quarter. That's a South Webster team that is looking at a probably 4-7 seed in this sectional.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Que the typical bs "doesn't matter when you play them, you will have to play them eventually" posts coming. I agree with what crab said...Waterford is unquestionably the best D4 team in the area. Why would you want to hit them in District semis when you could avoid them until Regional semis? That's why I would rather have the 6 seed (maybe even 8 seed) if my team not in the top 3 seeds at Northwest. Even if you get beat by them in Regionals, you still got a District Championship banner to put on the wall.

As it stands:

1. Clay (not surprised they beat East, surprised how bad they beat East)
2. Eastern
3. Leesburg Fairfield
4. Peebles
5. South Webster (need to win at least 1 out of next 2)
6. Notre Dame
7. Western
8. East (if Scott really out for extended time, likely no better than 8 seed)
9. Manchester
10. New Boston
11. Whiteoak

Seeds starting to take shape but still room for some movement.*

AllAboutTheU
Freshman Team

Post by AllAboutTheU »

Scott is done for year. I still have Eastern as the 1 seed but yes the top 7 teams can all move up and down but East to me is a lock at the 8. If everything works out, then this projection may end up being the correct seeds.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

art_vandelay wrote:Que the typical bs "doesn't matter when you play them, you will have to play them eventually" posts coming. I agree with what crab said...Waterford is unquestionably the best D4 team in the area. Why would you want to hit them in District semis when you could avoid them until Regional semis? That's why I would rather have the 6 seed (maybe even 8 seed) if my team not in the top 3 seeds at Northwest. Even if you get beat by them in Regionals, you still got a District Championship banner to put on the wall.

As it stands:

1. Clay (not surprised they beat East, surprised how bad they beat East)
2. Eastern
3. Leesburg Fairfield
4. Peebles
5. South Webster (need to win at least 1 out of next 2)
6. Notre Dame
7. Western
8. East (if Scott really out for extended time, likely no better than 8 seed)
9. Manchester
10. New Boston
11. Whiteoak

Seeds starting to take shape but still room for some movement.*
Exactly...

Give me the easiest path to cutting down the nets at the Convo. That is huge for any program in this area.

fanman
Waterboy

Post by fanman »

The SOC coaches totally control this Sectional and I can guarantee you that Peebles will play Fairfield. There is no way they will allow two SHL schools to get out regardless of the records. They will either be the 3/6 or the 4/5 seeds.

Hoopie74
SEOP

Post by Hoopie74 »

fanman wrote:The SOC coaches totally control this Sectional and I can guarantee you that Peebles will play Fairfield. There is no way they will allow two SHL schools to get out regardless of the records. They will either be the 3/6 or the 4/5 seeds.
Agreed. Not right but it is what it is.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

They may rig it to their favor but no need to avoid SHAC teams like in the past. For years you could book the better SHAC team being paired against either another SHAC or South Webster.

SOC is strong now...no need to avoid anything.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Ya I agree with Ironman92 here , no need for SOC to avoid anyone , I actually think they may want to play the shac teams this year, instead of SOC1 teams .just my opinion .
And if I remember correctly wasn't there a lot of people on here guaranteeing that south Webster would play peebles last year, because SOC1 teams would want to avoid them . It ended up eastern>south Webster , and clay>peebles.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

EPN wrote:Ya I agree with Ironman92 here , no need for SOC to avoid anyone , I actually think they may want to play the shac teams this year, instead of SOC1 teams .just my opinion .
And if I remember correctly wasn't there a lot of people on here guaranteeing that south Webster would play peebles last year, because SOC1 teams would want to avoid them . It ended up eastern>south Webster , and clay>peebles.
As the SOC 1 has gradually improved the last 2-3 years the avoiding the non-SOC1 schools has decreased.

For a long time top SHAC (SHL) school would face another SHAC team and South Webster would face another SHAC school.

13-7 SOC 1 teams now are waaaay better than the 13-7 SOC 1 teams from 2000-2012

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Ironman92 wrote:
EPN wrote:Ya I agree with Ironman92 here , no need for SOC to avoid anyone , I actually think they may want to play the shac teams this year, instead of SOC1 teams .just my opinion .
As the SOC 1 has gradually improved the last 2-3 years the avoiding the non-SOC1 schools has decreased.

For a long time top SHAC (SHL) school would face another SHAC team and South Webster would face another SHAC school.

13-7 SOC 1 teams now are waaaay better than the 13-7 SOC 1 teams from 2000-2012[/quote

Definitely agree with that. The SOC 1 is as good this year as it's been in many, many years. However, majority of teams at the top graduate at on of scoring/starters. Looking at some of the JV teams I've seen, the SOC I will slowly go downhill the next few years.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

bbjunky81 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

13-7 SOC 1 teams now are waaaay better than the 13-7 SOC 1 teams from 2000-2012[/quote

Definitely agree with that. The SOC 1 is as good this year as it's been in many, many years. However, majority of teams at the top graduate at on of scoring/starters. Looking at some of the JV teams I've seen, the SOC I will slowly go downhill the next few years.
Agree with ironman92 that the seeding shenanigans that have taken place at this sectional in the past ended up being a non-issue last year. Don't see it being much of a concern this year either as SOC I is comparable to most other leagues this year.

Also agree with bbjunky that SOC I is going to take a step back next year as Clay, Notre Dame and East all lose a ton to graduation next year. Webster also loses a lot to graduation, but with what's coming from their jv and 8th grade class, they might actually have a better shot at getting to the Convo next year despite these losses to graduation.*

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

art_vandelay wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:
Ironman92 wrote:

Agree with ironman92 that the seeding shenanigans that have taken place at this sectional in the past ended up being a non-issue last year. Don't see it being much of a concern this year either as SOC I is comparable to most other leagues this year.

Also agree with bbjunky that SOC I is going to take a step back next year as Clay, Notre Dame and East all lose a ton to graduation next year. Webster also loses a lot to graduation, but with what's coming from their jv and 8th grade class, they might actually have a better shot at getting to the Convo next year despite these losses to graduation.*

I agree, art. South Webster has some good young pieces, and a great 8th grader to add to the mix. While they do graduate 3 seniors this year, all who are important parts of the team, they return more than people think. Not to mention, next years team will have ZERO Seniors so they essentially have 2 years with the exact same kids. It will also be one of the biggest teams South Webster has had in quite some time - multiple players 6'2"-6'5" range.

As for this Sectional, this weekend will help dictate a lot of seeding. Eastern @ East could pretty much put the nail in the coffin for East if they lose again (as in, they'd assuredly be the 8 seed). Clay has South Webster Saturday. Western @ Notre Dame could give Western more power to climb the rankings, or keep them near the 7-8 seed with another loss. South Webster also has Waverly tonight, this has been a brutal week for them -- hopefully they can get ATLEAST 1 this weekend.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

Yes definitely agree that the SOC1 will take a major step back next season, Except for Eastern and Western Pike , I think both those teams will both b really good for the next few seasons.
The seeding shenanigans happens at other sectionals as well, Eastern played in the wellston/meigs sectional for years, and I thought we got hosed a lot of times out there.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

EPN wrote:Yes definitely agree that the SOC1 will take a major step back next season, Except for Eastern and Western Pike , I think both those teams will both b really good for the next few seasons.
The seeding shenanigans happens at other sectionals as well, Eastern played in the wellston/meigs sectional for years, and I thought we got hosed a lot of times out there.
Eastern does have good young kids but losing Leist, Martin, and their long athletic kid (name is escaping me at the moment) will definitley be a big hit for them. They will still be solid, don't get me wrong, but their taking a good sized hit.

EPN
Freshman Team

Post by EPN »

I agree , losing Leist , Martin , and Tyler Hale, is a lot to lose , But Eastern has Point guard Evan Leist, 6'4center Michael Miller, and 6'3forward Cody Weaver , will all b juniors next season and I think u will see all 3 of them take major steps forward next season, and freshman Hunter Cochenour is gonna b a big time player , he will prolly b around 6'3or so by next year , and can really shoot the ball well. Eastern will also return junior wing player Noah Gray , along with freshman Billy Crabtree who I think has a great chance to crack the starting lineup next season for Eastern , and I guess there's a chance 6'6 center Dalton Tomlinson plays next year , which would b a big addition ,like I said losing that senior leadership is tough , but I don't think you r gonna see as big of a drop off in talent as what some might think .

Gold and Blue
Freshman Team

Post by Gold and Blue »

Clay over Green 83-47. Clay now 14-2 on season.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Clay is the #1 seed. No discussion.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Ironman92 wrote:Clay is the #1 seed. No discussion.
Agreed...Clay with Hinze just destroying teams. East with a huge win tonight gets them out of the 8 seed. If Webster loses to clay tomorrow and goes 0-3 on the week, they likely looking at a 7 seed. As it stands:

1. Clay
2. Leesburg Fairfield
3. Eastern
4. Peebles
5. Notre Dame
6. East
7. South Webster
8. Western
9. Manchester
10. New Boston
11. Whiteoak

Return to “Boys Basketball”