Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Re: Pfloyd's Elite 8 of Southern/SouthEast Ohio - Week #5

Post by 93Bulldog »

I think Fed would welcome a rematch with ISJ, not sure anyone in Stewart was very happy with how that game ended last year. Lol

At first glance, i think this Fed team is better than last year - or least has potential to be when fully healthy. Lukas on the floor tonight (before ankle) is a much improved player. Virtually unstoppable when he wants to be. Hunter Smith is bigger, stronger, better. I'm sure Massie & Jarvis will be too. Nathaniel will be back Saturday vs Alexander. The question mark is Rogers. From what I'm hearing is that the 6'5 F can play, athletic & can throw it down with ease much like Lukas. Not many D4 teams have that in their front court.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:03 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:39 pm Good win by Piketon tonight blowing out a solid Trimble team

Piketon will be a tough out in the D3 tournament

Trimble and New Boston showed this week what many already believed —— D4 is a little down in SEO this year. The district title in D4 will be wide open and I’d imagine we’ll see plenty of upsets even in sectionals
Be a good year for a 4-17 team to get to the dist finals ....maybe like a Crooksville
Yago & Swingle!!!
Pick-n-roll.
I liked that Crooksville team.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:10 pm
Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:03 pm
bbjunky81 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:39 pm Good win by Piketon tonight blowing out a solid Trimble team

Piketon will be a tough out in the D3 tournament

Trimble and New Boston showed this week what many already believed —— D4 is a little down in SEO this year. The district title in D4 will be wide open and I’d imagine we’ll see plenty of upsets even in sectionals
Be a good year for a 4-17 team to get to the dist finals ....maybe like a Crooksville
Yago & Swingle!!!
Pick-n-roll.
I liked that Crooksville team.
THAT was a great team to pull for at the Convo !!! fun times !!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:07 pm Fed Hock 20 12 22 23 - 77
Belpre 8 21 16 25 - 70

Federal Hocking played without 3 starters most of the game and still came away with the victory at a tough place to play at The Eagles nest versus a decent Belpre team. Nathaniel Massie is quarantined, Collin Jarvis is still out with knee injury (but was warming up with the team prior to the game) and 6'5 C Elijah Lucas sprained his ankle in the 1st Q, tried to come back, but only played a few min in the 3rd before sitting for the remainder.

Hunter Smith - 29 pts
(Freshmen) Andrew Airhart - 20 pts
(Freshmen) Tariq Cottrill - 10 pts
Elijah Lukas 8 pts, 8 reb in limited minutes
Lane Smith 5 pts, 6 reb
Wes Carpenter 5 pts, 9 reb

Both freshmen played great, especially Airhart, who had 12 pts in the 3rd Q alone. He reminds me a lot of Blake Guffey (Trimble) when he was a freshmen. Cottrill played well too for just a freshmen. Asking a 15 year old to play PG against an aggressive team like Belpre was a lot to ask, but he stepped up and did the job. Hunter Smith is just a flat out "gamer", 29 points is darn good and they weren't easy points either. He drained just 2 treys.

The real story for Fed will be if they can get completely healthy. They also have 6'5 transfer Tyler Rogers waiting in the wings. If, by tournament time they can put a line up on the floor that looks like this - they will be the top D4 in the district:

6'0 Hunter Smith
6'1 Nathaniel Massie
6'0 Collin Jarvis
6'5 Elijah Lukas
6'5 Tyler Rogers

Andrew Airhart, Wes Carpenter, Lane Smith and Cottrill coming off the bench? Dang, they can go 9 deep and have confidence in the all of them. That's the silver lining with injuries, these other guys are getting valuable minutes on the floor, especially the freshmen.
The amount that I’m rooting for Rogers is astronomical.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:07 pm I think Fed would welcome a rematch with ISJ, not sure anyone in Stewart was very happy with how that game ended last year. Lol

At first glance, i think this Fed team is better than last year - or least has potential to be when fully healthy. Lukas on the floor tonight (before ankle) is a much improved player. Virtually unstoppable when he wants to be. Hunter Smith is bigger, stronger, better. I'm sure Massie & Jarvis will be too. Nathaniel will be back Saturday vs Alexander. The question mark is Rogers. From what I'm hearing is that the 6'5 F can play, athletic & can throw it down with ease much like Lukas. Not many D4 teams have that in their front court.
The biggest ? for Rogers is how quickly he can shake the game rust off. He played a handful of games as a freshman and that’s it since 7th grade as far as school ball goes.

He has a great feel for the game and as you mentioned, is athletic and can play.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:17 pm
Belpre 8 21 16 25 - 70

Federal Hocking played without 3 starters most of the game and still came away with the victory at a tough place to play at The Eagles nest versus a decent Belpre team. Nathaniel Massie is quarantined, Collin Jarvis is still out with knee injury (but was warming up with the team prior to the game) and 6'5 C Elijah Lucas sprained his ankle in the 1st Q, tried to come back, but only played a few min in the 3rd before sitting for the remainder.

Hunter Smith - 29 pts
Lane Smith 5 pts, 6 reb

Both freshmen played great, especially Airhart, who had 12 pts in the 3rd Q alone. He reminds me a lot of Blake Guffey (Trimble) when he was a freshmen. Cottrill played well too for just a freshmen. Asking a 15 year old to play PG against an aggressive team like Belpre was a lot to ask, but he stepped up and did the job. Hunter Smith is just a flat out "gamer", 29 points is darn good and they weren't easy points either. He drained just 2 treys.

The real story for Fed will be if they can get completely healthy. They also have 6'5 transfer Tyler Rogers waiting in the wings. If, by tournament time they can put a line up on the floor that looks like this - they will be the top D4 in the district:

6'0 Hunter Smith
6'1 Nathaniel Massie
6'0 Collin Jarvis
6'5 Elijah Lukas
6'5 Tyler Rogers

Andrew Airhart, Wes Carpenter, Lane Smith and Cottrill coming off the bench? Dang, they can go 9 deep and have confidence in the all of them. That's the silver lining with injuries, these other guys are getting valuable minutes on the floor, especially the freshmen.
He a local kid?

mlittle
SEOP

Post by mlittle »

Belpre 8 21 16 25 - 70

Hunter Smith - 29 pts
Lane Smith 5 pts, 6 reb

6'0 Hunter Smith
6'1 Nathaniel Massie
6'0 Collin Jarvis
6'5 Elijah Lukas
6'5 Tyler Rogers

👍

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Belpre 8 21 16 25 - 70

Hunter Smith - 29 pts
Lane Smith 5 pts, 6 reb

6'0 Hunter Smith
6'1 Nathaniel Massie
6'0 Collin Jarvis
6'5 Elijah Lukas
6'5 Tyler Rogers

... he's a good one daniC? a diffference maker?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

pfloyd wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:23 pm
Belpre 8 21 16 25 - 70

Hunter Smith - 29 pts
Lane Smith 5 pts, 6 reb

6'0 Hunter Smith
6'1 Nathaniel Massie
6'0 Collin Jarvis
6'5 Elijah Lukas
6'5 Tyler Rogers

... he's a good one daniC? a diffference maker?
He can be for sure. Nice outside shot to go along with great length and athleticism on the defensive end. Like I said, hasn’t played a whole lot outside of the bit his freshman year and some summer stuff for us before last year (unsure on how much he did with FH when he moved there) but he made a difference despite being pretty raw.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

He doesn't need to be, Floyd. Fed has good players all around. You just plug a 6'5 kid with athleticism into a lineup like that and whatever he brings to the table is an added plus. It's a good situation for him.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:20 pm
Belpre 8 21 16 25 - 70

Hunter Smith - 29 pts
Lane Smith 5 pts, 6 reb

6'0 Hunter Smith
6'1 Nathaniel Massie
6'0 Collin Jarvis
6'5 Elijah Lukas
6'5 Tyler Rogers

He a local kid?
Grew up at Unioto until this school year (but we only get transfers lol). He needed a fresh start and I’m hopeful he makes the most of it, which it sounds like he’s been doing so far.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:27 pm He doesn't need to be, Floyd. Fed has good players all around. You just plug a 6'5 kid with athleticism into a lineup like that and whatever he brings to the table is an added plus. It's a good situation for him.
... As soon as I posted the questions "I" had the answer in my head - a 6-5 athletic player in SEO, D4 - THAT alone makes you an impact player LOL ... I watched 4 games on livestream tonight - my brain is a little "foggy" from the varying quality of the live streams LOL

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Fed Hock already has a 6'5 athletic player now and he is more than just "athletic". Lukas has a nice game to him. If they can get both on the floor, that will be tough to contend with.

2013 was the Jago/Swingle Crooksville team. Great tournament that year!

Same year as epic Athens vs Warren regional semi-final. (bull**** over and back call on Ibi ... lol)

Oak Hill was really good, Ironton was a 1 seed, Eastern Brown was a 1 and had that kid who could shoot the lights out. Minford was good, but that's who Crooksville knocked off, helluva game. The DIV tournament lagged, Miller with a losing record even made it to the Convo that year. lol

SOC94
Freshman Team

Post by SOC94 »

93Bulldog wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:37 pm Fed Hock already has a 6'5 athletic player now and he is more than just "athletic". Lukas has a nice game to him. If they can get both on the floor, that will be tough to contend with.

2013 was the Jago/Swingle Crooksville team. Great tournament that year!

Same year as epic Athens vs Warren regional semi-final. (bull**** over and back call on Ibi ... lol)

Oak Hill was really good, Ironton was a 1 seed, Eastern Brown was a 1 and had that kid who could shoot the lights out. Minford was good, but that's who Crooksville knocked off, helluva game. The DIV tournament lagged, Miller with a losing record even made it to the Convo that year. lol
I thought that was 2013 when those two names came up but I couldn’t remember. Was just about to ask that. The D3 tournament that year was a blast. A lot of good teams. Ironton was loaded when we played them in the regional finals. Carter maybe have been small but man the guy could play.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

So many great teams, athletes have made it to Basketball 30 at the Convo over the years ... memories ... it's amazing how when I pull out the napkin stat books from years past how the games, the players on those sheets all come flooding back into view just like it was yesterday ... Basketball 30 ... High School Hoops in SEO - the best show around ...

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

That's why I keep all my programs, Floyd! lol

Best day, still, imo was the Championship Saturday back in 2004.

Started off with a bang with a packed house for the Dante Jackson Greenfield McClain Tigers versus Vinton County - and ended with an overtime thriller between Ironton and Westfall.

FIVE GAMES THAT DAY ... 5 DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES.

DII - Greenfield McClain (Dante still one of the best to play in the SE district tournament)
DIII - Chesapeake (did PJ Rase ever miss a free throw that tournament?)
DIII - Ironton (unbelievable backcourt of Gaigai and Waginger)
DIV - Eastern (the Howie Caldwell Eagles with Nathan Cozart, Simpson and the twin towers. Won in 2OT in the semi's and 1OT in the final)
DIV - South Webster (Aldridge was a beast. Too much for my A.J. Jenkins & Bruce Fouts led Cats in the championship game)

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

93Bulldog wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:40 am That's why I keep all my programs, Floyd! lol

Best day, still, imo was the Championship Saturday back in 2004.

Started off with a bang with a packed house for the Dante Jackson Greenfield McClain Tigers versus Vinton County - and ended with an overtime thriller between Ironton and Westfall.

FIVE GAMES THAT DAY ... 5 DISTRICT CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES.

DII - Greenfield McClain (Dante still one of the best to play in the SE district tournament)
DIII - Chesapeake (did PJ Rase ever miss a free throw that tournament?)
DIII - Ironton (unbelievable backcourt of Gaigai and Waginger)
DIV - Eastern (the Howie Caldwell Eagles with Nathan Cozart, Simpson and the twin towers. Won in 2OT in the semi's and 1OT in the final)
DIV - South Webster (Aldridge was a beast. Too much for my A.J. Jenkins & Bruce Fouts led Cats in the championship game)
The MOST people I have ever seen at the Convo for high school games that day ... the loudest crowds ever !!! ...

peake71
All Conference

Post by peake71 »

P. J. Rase is second in state all time in free throw percentage for career at 90.8 and second for season at 95.2.
I still can see the long 3 that he shot and rolled around and off against Nate Davis and Bellaire in the Regional finals at Convo.

JC2124
Varsity

Post by JC2124 »

Belpre 8 21 16 25 - 70

Hunter Smith - 29 pts
Lane Smith 5 pts, 6 reb

6'0 Hunter Smith
6'1 Nathaniel Massie
6'0 Collin Jarvis
6'5 Elijah Lukas
6'5 Tyler Rogers

Getting healthy is the key. Could be pretty scary when that happens! Massie will be back for Alexander. Jarvis should be cleared mid January. I believe Rogers will be about the same time. That’s should make for some good rotations. Hunter Smith and Carpenter played all 32 minutes against Belpre. Need to get them some breathers. Chapman and Roush can give some solid minutes off the bench too. Really looking forward to playing some games! A 22 day layoff, down 3 starters, start 2 freshman, on the road at Belpre.....get the W...priceless. We will take it lol

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

peake71 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:08 am P. J. Rase is second in state all time in free throw percentage for career at 90.8 and second for season at 95.2.
I still can see the long 3 that he shot and rolled around and off against Nate Davis and Bellaire in the Regional finals at Convo.
... peake71 ! I read it in your post and the visual of THE SHOT just flashed in my mind ... wow !!! ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”