D3 Sweet 16- Wheelersburg (20-1) vs Worthington Christian (24-1)

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: D3 Sweet 16- Wheelersburg (20-1) vs Worthington Christian (24-1)

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

danicalifornia wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:23 pm
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:19 pm They have to have a high CB number or they would still be DIV, would they not????
They were D3 this year regardless. But, the CB # doesn’t mean that much for this year, as it is based on last year’s varsity roster. It’s likely that they will still have a # above 30 next year, but it could also drop a good bit.
Gotcha!!!!

NM5050
Waterboy

Post by NM5050 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:19 pm They have to have a high CB number or they would still be DIV, would they not????
You know competitive balance starts from 7th grade right? 6 of the 8 kids that played in game are WC lifers. Get another excuse. Your team played an excellent game but don’t try to down the win to silly accusations.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

NM5050 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:29 pm
You know competitive balance starts from 7th grade right? 6 of the 8 kids that played in game are WC lifers. Get another excuse. Your team played an excellent game but don’t try to down the win to silly accusations.

Easy newbie! Just going by what I had read on here from a reliable source.

You have a nice team but in no way do I think the better team won. You all were sweating bullets right up until the end and you got a lot of breaks down the stretch.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

One other thing to note is WC’s CB number is par for the course if you consider that it’s a decently-sized, non-denominational school that’s been around the block for a long time; and, that it is nestled between the second-largest city in the Midwest to the south and one of the fastest-growing counties in the country to the north. It just comes down to choice... inevitably they’ll get kids coming in as freshmen or what not (remember that CB counts that against schools like WCS.)

@ LD — hey, sometimes I do as well. :oops:

SWHITE2002
JV Team

Post by SWHITE2002 »

I've not seen Wheelersburg's CB number in basketball, but in football it is really high. Truitt was a freshman transfer and Sanderlin was an 8th grade transfer. Going back a couple years to the Harvest Prep games there were more out of district players. Wheelersburg has no reason to complain about transfers

NM5050
Waterboy

Post by NM5050 »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:47 pm

You have a nice team but in no way do I think the better team won. You all were sweating bullets right up until the end and you got a lot of breaks down the stretch.
Yes we were all sweating bullets but no way do I think the better team lost. We usually put that pressure on early but realize you guys can play with us. We have beat 5 district champions in 3 divisions this year during the regular season. No one in the state can say that, Btw I am the source for WC, been around WC for 32 years.

ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I have not posted in a while because I haven’t had the opportunity to attend games in-person. In turn I feel like I haven’t got a true feel for the teams. Not that my opinion would really mean anything even if I did see teams in person. Lol!

Here is my take on what I saw online. Burg was the better team for 3 1/2 Qters. WC turned it up and Burg’s guards were really confused handling their pressure. I don’t know so I’m going to ask .... “How many times has Wheelersburg been in that situation this year and how many times have they faced defensive pressure like that?”

Regardless it was another good year for Wheelersburg. How was their JV team this year? It looks like they were a senior dominant team with McCorkle, Truitt and Miller.

In response to the post above there is no question WC plays a lot better schedule than Wheelersburg.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

NM5050 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:33 am
yabbadabbadoo wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:47 pm

Yes we were all sweating bullets but no way do I think the better team lost. We usually put that pressure on early but realize you guys can play with us. We have beat 5 district champions in 3 divisions this year during the regular season. No one in the state can say that, Btw I am the source for WC, been around WC for 32 years.

You have your opinion about the better team I have mine.

By the way, I've been around Burg basketball for around 42 years. ;)

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Either team could have easily won, great game by two great teams! Burg was in control late, but when WC turned on the pressure Burg seemed to unravel. WC going on a 12-0 run to end the game was not something anyone saw coming. But I think Burg has no one to blame but themselves for this loss. Still nothing to be ashamed of, they had a great season!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Found these stats on the game. I believe WC hit all of there FT's in the first half. Pretty evenly matched

Wheelersburg Worthington Christian
Points 47 50
Field Goals Made-Attempted 20-42 (48%) 18-40(45%)
3 Point Field Goals Made-Attempted 5-16 (31%) 4-17 (24%)
Free Throws Made-Attempted 2-8 (25%) 10-15(67%)
Rebounds (Offensive/Defensive) 22 (7/15) 26(8/18)
Assists 0 0 10
Steals 0 0 4
Blocks 0 0 5
Turnovers 9 8
Personal Fouls 15 9
Charges Taken 0
Deflections

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg and WC were evenly matched. One thing that’s been overlooked from this year is how well burg played defensively. Other than the home Waverly game, they’ve been outstanding and there was no exception in this game.

As far as the CB, there is a huge significance difference in basketball.

What people fail to look at in CB is when they enrolled in school. Look at New Boston. There’s a team that came together in high school. Not kids that came in elementary or attended in early grades. Burg has a few kids on their team now that’s been enrolled since Kindergarten but have always lived outside the district. I tend to think kids in junior high that come doesn’t necessarily transition them being great in high school but if they come while in high school, I feel that’s more significant in making a team better.

But there is no comparison in basketball CB when it comes to city and county schools. Absolutely zero. The city of worthington, according to Wikipedia, has a population of around 14,000 in a 5.5 square mile radius, which averages about 2500 people in one square mile. When you compare that with scioto county, 75,000 in a 616 square mile radius, which equals 121 people per one square mile, that makes a huge difference, especially when there is only a few high schools to attend.

City schools have such a small reach to find a lot of kids who can play to enroll and still be super close to the school they’ve enrolled in. It’s highly unfeasible for a player from north west who lives in ottway to play any sport for burg. Unless the parent or kid is willing to move or drive 30 minutes or so every day to play a sport, I seriously doubt that kid comes.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

If a kid comes to a school and his parents live out of the district but then move into that school district , is that kid still counted towards the CB???

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:39 am If a kid comes to a school and his parents live out of the district but then move into that school district , is that kid still counted towards the CB???
I don’t know.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:32 am Burg and WC were evenly matched. One thing that’s been overlooked from this year is how well burg played defensively. Other than the home Waverly game, they’ve been outstanding and there was no exception in this game.

What people fail to look at in CB is when they enrolled in school. Look at New Boston. There’s a team that came together in high school. Not kids that came in elementary or attended in early grades. Burg has a few kids on their team now that’s been enrolled since Kindergarten but have always lived outside the district. I tend to think kids in junior high that come doesn’t necessarily transition them being great in high school but if they come while in high school, I feel that’s more significant in making a team better.

But there is no comparison in basketball CB when it comes to city and county schools. Absolutely zero. The city of worthington, according to Wikipedia, has a population of around 14,000 in a 5.5 square mile radius, which averages about 2500 people in one square mile. When you compare that with scioto county, 75,000 in a 616 square mile radius, which equals 121 people per one square mile, that makes a huge difference, especially when there is only a few high schools to attend.

City schools have such a small reach to find a lot of kids who can play to enroll and still be super close to the school they’ve enrolled in. It’s highly unfeasible for a player from north west who lives in ottway to play any sport for burg. Unless the parent or kid is willing to move or drive 30 minutes or so every day to play a sport, I seriously doubt that kid comes.
The underlying problem here is the abundance of competition schools face to get kids in those areas. Worthington Christian isn’t the only good school in that area. There’s MULTIPLE. Burg is one of the few good schools (education wise) in our area.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:24 am
wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:32 am Burg and WC were evenly matched. One thing that’s been overlooked from this year is how well burg played defensively. Other than the home Waverly game, they’ve been outstanding and there was no exception in this game.

The underlying problem here is the abundance of competition schools face to get kids in those areas. Worthington Christian isn’t the only good school in that area. There’s MULTIPLE. Burg is one of the few good schools (education wise) in our area.
I agree with that and I’ll add to it. The size of the schools in the worthington area are a big factor as well. Imagine trying to make the varsity of a d1 or d2 high school. Worthington Christian and harvest preps can pick up a lot of 8 or 9th mans at big schools to start for them who possibly could be all district/state players in our area

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

So basically what I am gathering from this is that WC is Burg in a bigger scaled area? Because what the Burg people are complaining about with WC seems very similar to what Southern Ohio schools complain about with Burg. WC and Burg just come about it in different ways. For WC, it seems they get the leftover kids who may not quite play for the bigger surrounding schools but are still very good players. For Burg, they get a lot of good athletes come in because they are the program with the most success in this area and kids want to be apart of that. Same answer, different equation.

NM5050
Waterboy

Post by NM5050 »

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:31 am

I agree with that and I’ll add to it. The size of the schools in the worthington area are a big factor as well. Imagine trying to make the varsity of a d1 or d2 high school. Worthington Christian and harvest preps can pick up a lot of 8 or 9th mans at big schools to start for them who possibly could be all district/state players in our area
Worthington Christian doesn’t operate like Harvest Prep or most of these basketball factory schools. Wheelersburg lost, they’re a great team but once WC unleashed and it was over. During the regular season WC beat 5 different district champions and 2 runner ups in all 4 divisions. 5 of 7 top players are playing at scholarship schools in college. The freshman will be D1 player and playing for All-Ohio Red this summer. All but 1 are WC lifers and if they all went to their home schools they would all be starters and probably main guys at those schools. Which all of them live in Westerville or Olentangy school districts. Please quit with this big town narrative, it’s getting old. Just like Wheelersburg kids these kids grew up in the Warrior league at WC together. They deserve this just like the next.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:54 am So basically what I am gathering from this is that WC is Burg in a bigger scaled area? Because what the Burg people are complaining about with WC seems very similar to what Southern Ohio schools complain about with Burg. WC and Burg just come about it in different ways. For WC, it seems they get the leftover kids who may not quite play for the bigger surrounding schools but are still very good players. For Burg, they get a lot of good athletes come in because they are the program with the most success in this area and kids want to be apart of that. Same answer, different equation.
I’m not complaining. Just saying that the cb is completely different

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

NM5050 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:00 pm

Worthington Christian doesn’t operate like Harvest Prep or most of these basketball factory schools. Wheelersburg lost, they’re a great team but once WC unleashed and it was over. During the regular season WC beat 5 different district champions and 2 runner ups in all 4 divisions. 5 of 7 top players are playing at scholarship schools in college. The freshman will be D1 player and playing for All-Ohio Red this summer. All but 1 are WC lifers and if they all went to their home schools they would all be starters and probably main guys at those schools. Which all of them live in Westerville or Olentangy school districts. Please quit with this big town narrative, it’s getting old. Just like Wheelersburg kids these kids grew up in the Warrior league at WC together. They deserve this just like the next.

Unleashed what??? The trapping and smacking and shoving to steal a ball and the regional officials putting their whistles in there back pockets??? Is that the unleashing you are talking about. 1 foul called the entire 4th qtr. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's bullshit the way these regional tournament games are called. The only thing that kept you in the game in the first half were free throws as I believe you hit all 10 you made in the first half. Hell, Burg didn't even shoot 10 free throws all game. Kind of hard to shoot free throws when the other team only has 2 fouls called on them in a half. I'm sorry but that's impossible to do at the HS level especially against a team like Burg who was taking the ball to the hole at will but couldn't get a call in the first half.

I wasn't going to say anything about the officiating but don't give me that "unleashed" bullshit and expect someone to not say something. 9 team fouls on WC the entire game. 2 in the FIRST HALF. 6 in the 3rd quarter and 1 at the very start of the 4th qtr and that with playing a very aggressive defense at the end of the game.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

NM5050 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:00 pm

Your competitive balance says otherwise.

Return to “Boys Basketball”