12/20/22 Minford @ SW

Space Between
Waterboy

Re: 12/20/22 Minford @ SW

Post by Space Between »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:20 am This is the same school that slow played Norm Persin when he was a free agent…

As far as Jordan Lower goes, I’m not putting that out there. That’s his business between the school and our coach and he made the right decision to jump ship when he did. bringing Fenton back onto the bench was the best move SW has made since they hired him as HC after Ater left.
I think Lower is happy at Jackson. He lives up there too. I think Fenton is your guy here. They should have never let him walk to begin with. He has spent time under Fitch and Norm coaching. Has seen different philosophies and is in the school system. But would he even want it? You've got someone that's uncoachable. Is it even worth it? I don't think Norm's health is the best and I don't think there are any kids who could handle that type of coaching. It's become a tough place to coach.

But this season isn't over by any means. A deep tournament run still realistic no matter who is in charge. Season isn't even halfway thru. Plenty of time to figure it out. SOC 2 titles are cool, but I wouldn't be surprised to see SW as the last SOC school standing in the tournament time. Deep tourney runs > SOC titles. That's the great thing about SW. No other school is set up better for a D4 tournament run than SW.

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

Swanker, who does the finger always point at?

HamPorter
All Conference

Post by HamPorter »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:33 pm
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:30 pm
Sonny Weaver wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:49 am

Haven't heard from or talked to Conner since he was in HS, he'd have to have matured a lot since then before I'd hire him as a HC (it has been a decade so fingers crossed). Webster just has too much hoops talent year in and year out to underachieve as much as they do. Seems like a leadership thing imo, I heard Trae already quit the team at SSU -- my guess too much structure.
He was an assistant here one year, coached with Chillicothe for two years, took a 3-18 WCH team to 15-9 the next season before the hit job they put out on him. 0-23 the next season.

Last comment I’ll make on this thread but over the years there’s been A LOT of players contact me and give me the scoop. The finger always points at one person.
hit job being finding alcohol in his classroom, right? lol
Doing a shot before the first game is okay though, right? It’s been a few years so perhaps he has grown up. He was a good coach from what I remember seeing so I’d like to see him get a second chance at some point

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Post by The Ghost of Swanker »

what I was told directly from the horses mouth, it was a toast to a good season and others partook in it and that was that. Not the smartest thing he’s ever done I guess but shouldn’t have been a career ending thing.

@MattyIce the head coach of course

Beatin the brakes off em in the thunderdome
Game count 2023 : 54
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Scott could be given a second chance….he was successful in his short time at WCH (not an easy place to coach)

Not sure he wants to coach but if job opens up I’d put him on the list for sure.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

The amount of ridiculous suggestions in this thread from a bunch of guys who have no coaching background or perspective is quite humorous. If Fenton is back on staff why isn't he culpable in some of Webster's issues? Why is he no longer the HC to begin with? How successful was his tenure? I think SW's current coach was in a no win situation with the Roberts kid coming up. His poor attitude and work ethic were very apparent well before high school. How is that His fault? How would you armchair coaches handle that? Would you discipline and bench your most talented player whose dad happens to be your boss or try to find an alternative option? Easier said than done whatever your answer is.

Never have fully agreed with SW's foolish claim about tournament success over league success. Why not have both? If playing in the lower level of the SOC I is such a detriment to success let's count how many regional trips SW has vs. some of their SOC I counterparts over the last 10 years. Also, Swanker calling SW a mid- size D4 is not accurate. They are well above that and have historically been closer to the top of D4 in size.

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Mid all day homie.

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

What are your suggestions to remedy the situation, Socsportsfan1?

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:35 pm The amount of ridiculous suggestions in this thread from a bunch of guys who have no coaching background or perspective is quite humorous. If Fenton is back on staff why isn't he culpable in some of Webster's issues? Why is he no longer the HC to begin with? How successful was his tenure? I think SW's current coach was in a no win situation with the Roberts kid coming up. His poor attitude and work ethic were very apparent well before high school. How is that His fault? How would you armchair coaches handle that? Would you discipline and bench your most talented player whose dad happens to be your boss or try to find an alternative option? Easier said than done whatever your answer is.

Never have fully agreed with SW's foolish claim about tournament success over league success. Why not have both? If playing in the lower level of the SOC I is such a detriment to success let's count how many regional trips SW has vs. some of their SOC I counterparts over the last 10 years. Also, Swanker calling SW a mid- size D4 is not accurate. They are well above that and have historically been closer to the top of D4 in size.
I don't think it's foolish at all. Most years, SW will not be good enough to win a league. Doesn't mean the season is a failure every year. I guarantee you that the 06-07 Pirates would gladly trade their SOC championship for a State Championship

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:57 pm what I was told directly from the horses mouth, it was a toast to a good season and others partook in it and that was that. Not the smartest thing he’s ever done I guess but shouldn’t have been a career ending thing.

Yeah that’s dumb and letting anyone come back to the place where it happened would be dumb as well.

Sonny Weaver
Varsity

Post by Sonny Weaver »

wobycat wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:14 am
The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:57 pm what I was told directly from the horses mouth, it was a toast to a good season and others partook in it and that was that. Not the smartest thing he’s ever done I guess but shouldn’t have been a career ending thing.

Yeah that’s dumb and letting anyone come back to the place where it happened would be dumb as well.
think it happened at Washington Courthouse, fwiw. That is where he was let go from after all..

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Sonny Weaver wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:44 am
wobycat wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:14 am

think it happened at Washington Courthouse, fwiw. That is where he was let go from after all..
Gotcha

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

Space Between wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:02 am
socsportsfan1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:35 pm The amount of ridiculous suggestions in this thread from a bunch of guys who have no coaching background or perspective is quite humorous. If Fenton is back on staff why isn't he culpable in some of Webster's issues? Why is he no longer the HC to begin with? How successful was his tenure? I think SW's current coach was in a no win situation with the Roberts kid coming up. His poor attitude and work ethic were very apparent well before high school. How is that His fault? How would you armchair coaches handle that? Would you discipline and bench your most talented player whose dad happens to be your boss or try to find an alternative option? Easier said than done whatever your answer is.

I don't think it's foolish at all. Most years, SW will not be good enough to win a league. Doesn't mean the season is a failure every year. I guarantee you that the 06-07 Pirates would gladly trade their SOC championship for a State Championship
My point flew right over your head. Go back and read my post again. In the right division of the league, they could compete for both. It has been shown. Who finished higher in the SOC II last year SW or Valley? Who knocked Valley out of the tournament last year? Oh, Western did. I guess being co-champions of the SOC I wasn't a detriment for them.

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

socsportsfan1 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:20 pm
Space Between wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:02 am

My point flew right over your head. Go back and read my post again. In the right division of the league, they could compete for both. It has been shown. Who finished higher in the SOC II last year SW or Valley? Who knocked Valley out of the tournament last year? Oh, Western did. I guess being co-champions of the SOC I wasn't a detriment for them.
Help me out here, and I do apologize, “SW’s foolish claim about tournament success over league success” the heck does the SOC 1 have anything to do with them? They are in SOC2. Talking about SOC2 and tourney runs being more important than SOC 2 titles. Webster is already in the “right division of the league” Regional appearances.. cool. Congrats. Good job Western.

baseball16
All State

Post by baseball16 »

SW is not in the SOC 2 for tourney runs , yes it helps but the reason they are in the upper is financial ! Period !

Space Between
Waterboy

Post by Space Between »

baseball16 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:20 pm SW is not in the SOC 2 for tourney runs , yes it helps but the reason they are in the upper is financial ! Period !
My comment originally wasn’t for the other thread about the SOC going 3 divisions and financials. You’re not wrong.

My point is in regards to the SOC 2 (that SW is in and has been for years) this loss to Minford seems very deflating to many on this thread. But SW is not going to win the conference this year. It doesn’t mean that the season is over. There is a second season for them called D4 tournament. Where they can still win a district title. Very doable. Not winning a district title would be worse than not winning SOC2 title in the eyes of ppl in Webster

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Being as someone who’s from Webster, it’s because we like competition and we’re ALWAYS a contender for districts even if we are a 7 seed. Western had a good run last year but that’s it for awhile. We’ll be there every year

The Ghost of Swanker
SEOPS H

Didn’t eastern steamroll SOC1 for years and not accomplish anything in the post season?

Tigernation2021
Varsity

Post by Tigernation2021 »

The Ghost of Swanker wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:43 pm Didn’t eastern steamroll SOC1 for years and not accomplish anything in the post season?
I think they made a deep run in post season play in 2019 maybe, the final year they were in SOC 1.

MattyIce
Freshman Team

Post by MattyIce »

Webster had league success and tournament success when the guys running the program weren’t from Webster!!! Hint, Hint!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”