Current SE District Coaches...State Berth

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Current SE District Coaches...State Berth

Post by Ironman92 »

Much is made of Norm Pierson never getting to the state...yes, he took Peake to the regionals numerous times....but how many current SE district coaches have taken a team to the state tournament?

1.Pat Hines.....Whiteoak
2.Dave Young...North Adams
3.Rob Buecler....Eastern Brown
4.Tom Barrick...Burg
5.Howie Caldwell....Reedsville Eastern

who else? Does Belpre have the same coach from the 90's?.....has Van Meter made it.....Ozzy
Last edited by Ironman92 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it's actually "berth".

Like I said on my other post, where I'm sure you got this idea for a thread from, I think Norm has a good chance with these kids he has at OH to make the final 4 either this season or next if they stay in D IV.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

That's three of the five coaches/schools mentioned from the SHL -- Southern Hills League which plays a pretty good brand of basketball. When you throw in the Eastern Brown Lady Warriors under Coach Richard Kiser and the Peebles Lady Indians under Coach Dick Reed then that is a pretty impressive accomplishment from this conference. Of course, Dick Reed is not a current coach.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Idea..yes...but actually wanted to know how many there are.

Thanks for not being a jirk...lol

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Larry Jordan (Southeastern)

Lamont Cranston
Freshman Team

Post by Lamont Cranston »

Van Meter has not made it... stopped one game short by DeSales in '87, and maybe one other time. He made it to the Regional semis in Dante's frosh and soph campaigns.

Calling it like it is...
Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

Carl Wolfe made it when he coached at Southern in 1980 and 1982. He has coached the girls at Meigs the last few years. Not sure if he is coaching this year or not.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Coach Kreisher of South Webster

TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

How many times has Wheelersburg's coach Barrick been there ? Three ??

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
TheMalteseFalcon
All Conference

Post by TheMalteseFalcon »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:I think Norm has a good chance with these kids he has at OH to make the final 4 either this season or next if they stay in D IV.

I agree, but then he had some incredible talent a few times when he was at Chesapeake and fell short every time so we'll just wait and see. Having the knowledge of a State Championship coach helping him should be a big boost for him too.

Home of the Atlanta Falcons.
Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

TheMalteseFalcon wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:I think Norm has a good chance with these kids he has at OH to make the final 4 either this season or next if they stay in D IV.

I agree, but then he had some incredible talent a few times when he was at Chesapeake and fell short every time so we'll just wait and see. Having the knowledge of a State Championship coach helping him should be a big boost for him too.

That's because in those years with the incredible talent he couldn't seem to make it past Wheelersburg, even the year when they were #1 in the state and the Burg had a subpar season at I believe 11-9 and the Pirates beat them in the sectionals at Rock Hill.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
mister b
SEOP

Post by mister b »

Belpre's coach from it's 3 state appearances was Joe Garrett. He is currently the head boys coach at Parkersburg Catholic.

Belpre's current head coach, Curt Plummer, was an asst coach at Belpre during Belpre's 1997 state semi-final appearance.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Coach K is not coaching at SW or holding any head coaching positions so he's not part of this.

Wolfe isn't a head coach anymore is he?

Jordan!!!! Duh

So 6 coaches out of 70?

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

it is just like in college when coaches are judged by getting to the final four and winning the big one. a coach cannot be fairly judged by this criteria. some of the best coaches i have known and respect at the high school level have never made it to the final four and probably never will. some have losing records and probably always will but that does not lessen what they have accomplished. high school coaches are held too accountable for winning and losing and that is wrong. i judge a coach by whether or not i would want my son or daughter to play for he or she. winning is definitely a major objective of coaching but there is so much more to their role than just winning.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Ding, Ding, Ding ^^^^^

Well said to say the least.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

I know you're just talking about Head Coaches that has taken their team to the State, but Piketon's Head Coach Jeff Lisath has won a State Title as a player and Assistant Coach, also was an Assistant Coach with a State Runner-Up team.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

futurebkstar wrote:Coach Kreisher of South Webster

He's not a current coach.

Remember_The_Name
SEOP

Post by Remember_The_Name »

Carl Wolfe and Howie Caldwell took Southern to the state in 1982, Wolfe was head coach and Caldwell was assistant... Carl is now the head coach of the Meigs girls HS team and Howie is still coaching at Eastern

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Coach Nrris from South Point has taken teams in WV. I don't know if you want to count that because the caliber of play is different. But he does have the experience of being in the big games.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it's actually "berth".

Like I said on my other post, where I'm sure you got this idea for a thread from, I think Norm has a good chance with these kids he has at OH to make the final 4 either this season or next if they stay in D IV.

D4 is probably going to be tougher then D3 this year and next to get to Columbus. Worthington Christian is loaded and Africentric is back in D4. So Oak Hill will not be getting out of regionals. They are not athletic enough or quick enough to move on. Yes they are big, but they don't move real well. South Webster was quick, fast, and big. That is the winning recipe to get out of regionals.

Return to “Boys Basketball”