Jackson basketball

Press on
Waterboy

Jackson basketball

Post by Press on »

Although I am new to this area, it seems to me that Jackson (at least in basketball) is in way over their head in the SEOAL. Does anybody else agree or is this year just a fluke? :?:

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Jackson is just down this year--I would say

jottings
SEOPS H

kind of a fluke

Post by jottings »

JHS lost a couple veteran players to Oak Hill, and had a coaching chage late in the summer. Ironmen have been pretty fough past four years.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Re: Jackson basketball

Post by Out of Bounds »

Press on wrote:Although I am new to this area, it seems to me that Jackson (at least in basketball) is in way over their head in the SEOAL. Does anybody else agree or is this year just a fluke? :?:

Although it is true that JHS lost a couple of good players to Oak Hill this year, I do believe that JHS would have struggled in this leage with them and for many years to come. If you look at the history...they struggled in the old league. We showed some success in the past few years because of a rock solid young coaching staff that brought some inthusiasm into Jackson basketball and a great group of kids that bought into it. Coach Ford left to better himself at WCU and the administration ran coach May off and didn't even offer to coach Kight. I've not been overly impressed with Coach Hurst, but in his defense he doesn't have a lot to work with. I will compliment him on getting envolved with the youth leagues and trying to start some sort of program at Jackson. If you look at the lower levels the future doesn't look very bright. There is no excitement for basketball in our district. We are a "Helmet Head Town"! Football is the only thing of any important here. We have the worst fans I have ever seen. Not that they are rude or anything like that, but they don't even know the game. I have sat at countless games and watched our players leave it all on the floor and have some good defensive stands and our fans sit on there hands. They don't even try to get into the game. It's almost an imbarrassment! Our student section has came a long way, but with losing that tends to lessen along with it. I wish the players all the best, but my wishes definately won't make us anymore competitive. My personal oppinion is that this might be the worst basketball school in the state.

tiger_4_ever
Waterboy

Post by tiger_4_ever »

Out of Bounds,

Things will be OK!! It can't be that bad??? :)

I believe Jackson has won a couple games, I'm sure many teams in the state have not!!!
Last edited by tiger_4_ever on Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog!
Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

1-19
2-20
5-15
SEOAL CHAMPS

Those may not be exact...but are very close to the years before our last league championship. I wish Coach Hurst and his players the absolute best of luck. The style is of little defense and run and gun and we've won 2 more games than I thought we would have thus far. The past couple of years we haven't been very good....;/but our game plan and style of play kept us in most games.

If we still had Ondera and Borden.....we'd be a far more dangerous team, but doubtful that we would win more than 8 or 9 games and still wouldn't come close to the upper portion of the league.

Pick your all-time favorite coach at any level....he couldn't get this team to .500.

These current kids need support, they play hard and hustle and are representing the best they can. Hopefully they can manage some more big wins and surprise a few. Best of luck to everyone one of them.

I disagree with the worst basketball school in the state....but can't argue that we are in any way a basketball school.

Football, football, football, football...and some more football.

What do you call a 6'5 kid on Jackson's floor?

.....the opponent

We might be the shortest town around...that doesn't help

ji81grad
Riding the Bench

Post by ji81grad »

Merlin Miller is 6'5" but then again you did say on the floor.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

^^^^you must be a relative or even a dad to the 6'5 kid!
Tell us about your strategy and what you would do?
If you were coaching, would their record be better?
Please inform us!!

I am not from Jackson, but I read, and I get sick of seeing relations come on here and bash coaches. Our society today is all about what are you doing for me, me, me!!

Jackson is down, yes down, even with your relation on the team. Get over it!!

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

After the debacle last year with the Super and "part-time" AD running the boys and girls coaches out, I think Coach Hurst is in a tough spot, but admire the way he's handling things. They're gonna have some tough years and the best thing Jackson folks can do is support him and the program.

I've heard he is really trying to develop a "biddy" league program, which I think is essential in establishing long-term success.

Give this guy a chance!

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Sounds like somebody is salty that Miller is getting his minutes. With Hurst's up tempo style I can see where his minutes would be limited. He doesn't run the floor as well as some other kids. But he does play as hard as he can when he is on the floor. (Great Kid).

I agree with several of the other posters......I don't know who could suceed at Jackson in this sport. No support from administrators and no post players ever. Shortest school district I have ever seen.

I do agree if we had Borden and Ondera we would be more dangerous, but we would nowhere near competing for the league.

My hats off to the players sticking it out and playing hard. It's tough to dedicate youself to a program and struggle for your efforts. That's is called toughness. Unlike transferring or quiting.

lover
Waterboy

Post by lover »

Jackson will struggle this year. And for years to come! Maybe Jackson can pick up Ohio Valley Christian for two dates.

JHStradition
Waterboy

Post by JHStradition »

Good point on the toughness. Last few people on the Titanic are reknown for their toughness?? Think small, be small.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Out of Bounds wrote:Sounds like somebody is salty that Miller is getting his minutes. With Hurst's up tempo style I can see where his minutes would be limited. He doesn't run the floor as well as some other kids. But he does play as hard as he can when he is on the floor. (Great Kid).

I agree with several of the other posters......I don't know who could suceed at Jackson in this sport. No support from administrators and no post players ever. Shortest school district I have ever seen.

I do agree if we had Borden and Ondera we would be more dangerous, but we would nowhere near competing for the league.

My hats off to the players sticking it out and playing hard. It's tough to dedicate youself to a program and struggle for your efforts. That's is called toughness. Unlike transferring or quiting.

you can't really say the kids who quit or transferred are not tough! Jackson was and still is in turmoil. Look at the amount of coaching turnover they have had the past 3 years. The players had to be frustrated with the administration on lack of coaching the past summer. They were looking to better the situation and move on. Others should do the same.
My biggest complaint is the me, me, me, attitude so many have. They love problems and adding to the problems, but never want to give solutions on how the problem(s) can be solved.

Athens07
Waterboy

Post by Athens07 »

I predict that the SEOAL will fold down the road. Must teams are wanting to get out.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

The turmoil was caused by a select few parents on the boys and girls side. To say we are still in turmoil is due to the fact of the administration caved and got rid of 2 good coaches. To say that others should do the same tells me exactly who you are and that would be the tasteless thing to do. The me, me, me attitude is a prime of example of getting coaches fired and moving. If that is the solution you can have it! GO IRONMEN!

RedandWhite
Waterboy

Post by RedandWhite »

I give Hurst credit for at least trying to build the program. The biddee league program is the first step in doing that. The sad thing is that there are so many coaches in those lower levels who don't teach the kids the fundamentals. he is at least trying to do that. As far as the girls program...I think whoever attends those games can see what the problem is. The administration was crazy to get rid of McKinniss. The numbers were up and he had started a summer league. The current coach had no summer league and doesn't have the time to dedicate to building the program because when they should be in the gym...he is in the gym with volleyball players because he is the jv coach. A part time head coach on the varsity level is not going to get the program headed in the right direction. No attention has been shown in the biddee league programs.

JHStradition
Waterboy

Post by JHStradition »

I assume you are talking about the girls program on the firing and moving? The boys that transferred were going to leave the school system regardless of who was coaching. They could have cared less if the same coaching staff stayed.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I don't think ji81 meant much other than a little joke.

I saw he was listed at 6'4....so I added an inch to my corny joke.

Nonetheless.....ah forget it.

Regardless...as long as they are playing hard I'll support them when I can. I've watched many horrible teams since 1983-84...but I still enjoy watching.

ji81grad
Riding the Bench

Post by ji81grad »

Thank you 92 for taking my comment as presented insead of reading into it as regulator obviously did.

My strategy: Fill all the weight classes and try to teach fundamental moves and condition, condition, condition. Then again, I'm a wrestling coach.

I am Merlin's dad and dare I say, have supported Coach Hurst o the fullest as I will continue to do.

After all, its only basketball.

Let's see who that offends.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

about 2 people in Jackson

Return to “Boys Basketball”