Northwest 53 @ South Point 54 12/29

osumufan
SE

Northwest 53 @ South Point 54 12/29

Post by osumufan »

This is supposed to be at the old High School due to the paving at the new high school. Anyway, I am predicting a Pointer win.
Last edited by osumufan on Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

NWMohawks
Waterboy

Post by NWMohawks »

I will go with the Mohawks in this one, but they will need to play smart basketball if they are going to win.
Last edited by NWMohawks on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

South Point 10-18 points

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Northwest was playing good basketball then had a "nail-biter" with a pretty weak SW team. Playing South Point is a tall order and I agree with Cameron that South Point will come out on top by 10-15 points.

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Post by NICKNEVADA »

sp75-59

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

NW must control the tempo of the game in order to win. The faster the pace, the more it will favor the Pointers because of a deeper, more athletic bench. Best of luck to the Mohawks.

u_kno_me
Freshman Team

Post by u_kno_me »

I hope the mohawks will come away with this one!

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

Pointers by 15.

ballin' fan
Waterboy

Post by ballin' fan »

once again, do not underestimate the power of the Mohawks...Mohawks by 2!

primetime20
Riding the Bench

Post by primetime20 »

pointers should win this game...i havent heard much about northwest but i still couldnt see the mohawks coming up with a win

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

GO Pointers! Good Luck!

PointerFan02
Freshman Team

Post by PointerFan02 »

Pointers escape with the win, 54-53 i think was the final.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Is that a definite on the final score?

Layne99L
Freshman Team

Post by Layne99L »

Pointers come from behind to win thriller against Northwest
By: T. J. Layne

SOUTH POINT, OH-A lot was at stake for the South Pointers in their home game against the Northwest Mohawks on December 29th. December 14th against River Valley was scheduled to be the last game at the old Pointer gym, but road construction forced one more game at the old gym. The Pointers won the December 14th game against the Raiders so not only were they looking to remain undefeated, South Point was also looking to close out the old Pointer gym with a win.

The game started with a lot of back and forth action. At one point in the opening quarter, fast break points propelled the Pointers to a 10-3 lead. However, the pace slowed down and Northwest tightened the score up to a 14-13 South Point lead at the end of the first quarter. The second quarter set the tone for the rest of the game as defense was key. The first half ended with a 26-26 tie. Todd Mayo was the leading scorer of the first half for the Pointers with 10 points, with six of those ten being scored in the opening quarter.

To start the second half, Northwest came off hot as they outscored the Pointers 21-11 in the third quarter to have a 47-37 lead going into the final quarter. The third quarter Mohawk lead was as high as 13 at one point. To begin the fourth quarter, slowly but surely the momentum started to switch to South Point as they steadily cut the Northwest lead down. At the midway point of the fourth quarter, the Pointers cut it down to a one possession game with a 49-46 Mohawk lead. Thanks to points from Todd Mayo and Kyle Hughes, the Northwest lead was now cut down to one point with only a couple minutes remaining.

South Point went down the floor to take the lead at 52-51 and then a long possession ended with Northwest nailing another shot in the paint to give the Mohawks the lead 53-52. South Point then took the ball back down the floor and called timeout with 29 seconds remaining. After the timeout, with multiple defenders on Todd Mayo, Beau Weed was wide open and hit the shot to give South Point the lead 54-53 with 12 seconds remaining! Northwest drove back down the floor but missed the last second shot to give the Pointers the big come from behind win! The win kept the Pointers perfect on the season at 8-0.

Sophomore Todd Mayo was instrumental in the Pointers win as he scored eight fourth quarter points to add to his total of 22 in the game. Second on Pointers scoring was Kyle Hughes and Corey Taylor with 10 points each. Hughes scored five of his ten points in the fourth quarter. The game had three ties and seven lead changes. South Point also won the JV game by a score of 33-27.

The Pointers will next be in action in a huge OVC conference match-up against the Fairland Dragons on Friday, January 4th in Proctorville, Ohio. The next Pointers home game will be on Tuesday, January 8th in another OVC conference game against rival Chesapeake. The Lady Pointers will next be in action on Thursday, January 3rd in a home game against OVC conference opponent Rock Hill. All games start with the JV game at 6:00 pm with the varsity game following. For more information visit http://www.geocities.com/southpointbasketball .

Score by Quarter
1st, 14-13 South Point
2nd, 26-26
3rd, 37-47 Northwest
4th, 54-53 South Point

South Point Pointers Scoring

Todd Mayo-22 points
Kyle Hughes-10 points
Corey Taylor-10 points
Beau Weed-6 points
Zach Woody-4 points
Drew Lynd-2 points

Rocky Top Raceway, Coal Grove, Ohio-www.rockytopracewayinc.com
Jesus Saves!!!
ballin' fan
Waterboy

Post by ballin' fan »

Hats off to a great game from both teams, however, I believe the above article left out some major highlights of this game so without saying anything more, I would like to send this out to the officials of both the JV game and the Varsity game, I believe they may need a refreasher course!

Officiating Code of Ethics and code of conduct

An Official must devote time, thought and study to the rules of the game and the mechanics necessary to carry out these rules so that one may render effective and credible service in a fair and unbiased manner

An Official must work with fellow officials and the state association in a spirit of harmony and cooperation in spite of differences of opinion that may arise during debate of points or rules at issue

An Official must resist every temptation and outside pressure to use one's position as an official to benefit oneself. Under all circumstances, officials must avoid promoting the special interest of any person or group of persons other than the athletes we serve

An Official must constantly uphold the honor and dignity of the avocation in all personal conduct and relations with the student-athletes, coaches, athletic directors, school administrators, colleagues, and the public, to be a worthy example to the athletes under one's jurisdiction

An Official will be prepared both physically and mentally, dress accordingly to expectations and maintain a proper appearance that is befitting the importance of the game

An Official shall avoid the use of tobacco and related products at the contest site

An Official must remember and recognize that it is important to honor contracts regardless of possible inconvenience or financial loss

wemufans
All Conference

Post by wemufans »

You want some cheese with that WHINE?

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

Northwest was a scrappy team and thier big guys I think helped them a lot. I still don't know how Webster and them had a nail biter. Some of the Pointers need to play defense the whole game instead of waiting until they are down to turn the pressure up! Norris also needs to use the timeouts he is given at the best possible time. When the tide starts to turn call a timeout and settle the kids down. How about switching up the defense and make the other team guess what you are doing?The Pointers better bring their A+ game to Dragon land or there goes the OVC and a perfect record.

bucking red
Varsity

Post by bucking red »

ballinfan what are you talking about? Was there some bad calls or what? I was not there so fill me in on your beef.

u_kno_me
Freshman Team

Post by u_kno_me »

Bucking red, YES there were some bad calls I mean horrible calls...todd mayo would drive the lane and drive the defender with his shoulder and push off with his other arm and step back the shoot it...also the defender would fall down because it was an obvious charge....I think the refs were scared to call anything on mayo because of his name...and thats bull crap! because if Northwest done that they would not have hesitated to blow the whistle. But it should not have even came down to that...because northwest missed the front ends of two one and one's....spriggs and leslie for northwest has an awesome inside out game. When I was sitting in the stands I could see spriggs yelling at the other Northwest players to get the ball into leslie..I just think that a senior yelling at the other players to get the ball inside to a sophomore is pretty cool..I think it is cool because it shows that he is unselfish and usually the senior wants the ball and doesnt want a sophomore to do better than him.

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

I dont think that mayos name has anything to do with him getting calls or not. If anything it probably puts an unwanted target on his back. Northwest doesnt have anyone who can gaurd him so i doubt that he needed to push off to get open. I wasnt there, but saying its because of his name is wrong. Hes a scorer and a handfull and will continue to get better.

Return to “Boys Basketball”