Any Surprise TEAMS/PLAYERS as we head to 08 ????

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Any Surprise TEAMS/PLAYERS as we head to 08 ????

Post by pfloyd »

... we've seen most of the teams play between 8-10 games in the first half of the season - ANY SURPRISES ???? surprise TEAMS - those that have "outperformed" preseason expectations , those that have "underperformed" to this point in the season ... any players that are catching your eye that have replaced the Dante' Jacksons' as the headliners this season??? ... or maybe everything - TEAMS/PLAYERS - are going according to plan ...

... personally I have seen lots of young talent that will keep this forum hopping in the next few years ... some teams that have matured into THE TEAMS in Southern/Southeastern Ohio ... I have my "lists" , how about yours???

... What say you ??? ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

When Portsmouth gets 6-6 junior Anthony Williams back in mid-January from a foot injury, the Trojans will be a better team. Simply put, his 19 ppg and 15 rpg have been missed, and against the better teams on our schedule his absence has really been felt.

Coach Shoemaker changed the Trojans after 4 games(when Williams went down) to more of an uptempo team with freshman Andrew Bendolph inserted into the starting lineup. Williams and Bendolph have yet to play together in this offense, and when they do, Portsmouth will be more of a matchup problem for teams, especially with Nate Cadogen's improved play down low.

If the Trojans win Friday vs. Athens, they will have already surpassed their win total from last year, improving to 5-5. Considering where we've been the last 5 years, PHS is improved quite a bit.....and the curve should continue to rise as the season goes and we get back to full strength. Portsmouth hasn't had at least 10 wins in a season since 2002, and this year I believe they have an excellent chance to not only do that, but have a winning season with a couple of wins in the tourney.

GO TROJANS!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Two of the young up and comers in SE Ohio include freshman Andrew Bendolph and sophomore Forrest Johnson of Portsmouth. Bendolph has been in double figures in 6 or 7 straight games, averaging around 12 ppg, while Johnson has been averaging around 12 ppg a game for the improved Trojans.

GO TROJANS!!!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

agree ^^^^^^^

I am surprised Chesapeake is this good.

Surprised Leesburg Fairfield is as competitive as they are.

I am surprised Western Lathem has the record they do...certainly not a tough schedule....but they lost the best backcourt around to Shawnee St.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

He is still around 25 ppg and I am surprised....but they are having trouble pulling it together for wins. I think they are like 3-8.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... a couple of 'surprise teams" so far this season have been Reedsville Eastern, Federal Hocking ... Eastern because of all of the youngsters on that squad led by Jake Lynch - a .500 club with their youth and lack of size? - Coach Caldwell has them in the majority of the games they are playing ... Federal Hocking ? - not sure what I expected but knowing the seniors on that team (have watched them place since they were in biddy ball) AND knowing what Coach Vales expects out of his players/ his emphasis on fundamentals/defense - the Fed. Hock boyz will continue to improve as the year progresses into 08 imo ...

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

I have been impressed with Hank Leslie of Northwest. He has been putting up some nice numbers for a Sophomore.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

Ron Smith from Chillicothe has improved leaps and bounds from last year and has really been great every time he's stepped on the floor for chilli this year.

and thats just how it is...Dshanton3
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... great job gentelmen - getting some players out there some "print" and teams as well ... all in a positive wayl ... I like it !!! gives ya a warm fuzzy feeling inside (might just be indigestion but it works for me some how) ...

pantherpaw
Freshman Team

Post by pantherpaw »

I agree, Ironman. Coach Ryan Davis has the Chesapeake Panthers doing a complete 360 from last year. I am not sure what their record was last year, but they are 7-1 and riding a seven game winning streak with their only loss being against the Burg.

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

Um. Pantherpaw? That would be a 180. A 360 would put them right back where they were.

;-)

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Post by NICKNEVADA »

Tyler Mault from East has been the only constant scorer.They should prob play him at the point for more ball handling and control.

pantherpaw
Freshman Team

Post by pantherpaw »

Zanes, you get the picture. :roll:

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

NICKNEVADA wrote:Tyler Mault from East has been the only constant scorer.They should prob play him at the point for more ball handling and control.

I have to disagree on him being the point for the Tartans, Garrett is not doing that bad, as a sophmore. Tyler is right now game in and game out the one scoring for the Tartans. Brad Collins has had some good games scoring along with Brian Collins. Dickerson is capable of scoring they just need to get him shots. If the four can score together on game nights the Tartans would be hard to beat.

4sporterEHS
SEOP

Post by 4sporterEHS »

New Boston, Fairland

"Do You Even Remember What It Is Like To Be To Tired To Run"

-I Am What I Am
pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... New Boston at 5-2 - yes ... Fairland 9-0 not so much ... they were good last season, young last season, STILL young lol but even better ...

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

i have to agree with pfloyd fairland has everyone back from last year and they did right well last year. It will surprise me if they don't win the league go back to the convo. I would put my money on the Dragons and I am not a Dragon fan at all. (except when they are playing outside the league ;-) !)

Zanes-Vegas
Varsity

Post by Zanes-Vegas »

pantherpaw ...

My geometry skills haven't escaped me, even 35 years after the fact!

GoBlue22
Freshman Team

Post by GoBlue22 »

This has to be the worst season that Southeastern has ever had. I don't remember them ever being 0-5 in the SVC.

Return to “Boys Basketball”