Piketon at Ironton, Saturday Jan. 19th

REDSTREAKFAN
Waterboy

Piketon at Ironton, Saturday Jan. 19th

Post by REDSTREAKFAN »

This is a big matchup coming up on Saturday night. Piketon has a tough game Friday night, then make the journey down 23 and 52 for their visit in I-town...Should be a great matchup! Physical and Athletic teams going head to head....Can't wait! Both teams have big games this week prior to this matchup (Ironton vs. Chilli...Piketon vs. Zane Trace)... What is everyone's thoughts about this game...No one even talking about this matchup, yet...surprised

ruhrig
Waterboy

Post by ruhrig »

Is there a Freshmen game? What time are they scheduled to tip off?

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Piketons schedule says 6 pm. I am heading south. I have never been to Ironton for a bball game. Will stop in portsmouth to eat at the ribber and then digest some food while watching some hoops.

NICKNEVADA
All Conference

Post by NICKNEVADA »

pike 67-64

REDSTREAKFAN
Waterboy

Post by REDSTREAKFAN »

I'll have to double check that time for the game on Saturday...

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Ironton Tigers played Chilly tough tonight down in Tiger country. They will be a touch matchup for Piketon. Tigers are quick outside and can knock down the three ball. I saw Piketon play and if they are on this will be a good game. Otherwise I see the Tigers by 10 or so.

GO CAVS!!!

REDSTREAKFAN
Waterboy

Post by REDSTREAKFAN »

hitch...I respect your opinion...but I watched that game tonight, myself, and I wasn't impressed with Ironton. Yes they are quick, and they hung around early on til mid-way 2nd quarter...but I feel I've watched 2 or 3 teams better this year in the SVC...on the other hand, Chillicothe looked like they were going half speed, as well (they look tough! and I'm sure that played a role in it as well)...Ironton should make some 3's....they shot probably 15-20 by halftime, and I only saw them make about 3 or 4...They didn't run an offense; they have no inside game. They are quick at the guard position, but I think Piketon's depth and athleticism will equal out....It is a tough place to play, and I think that will be the deciding factor...I still think the Streaks can get the W.

On a side note, I was less than impressed with the crowd at the game tonight...I believe that Chillicothe had nearly 1/2 of the crowd there tonight...

Amen Corner
Varsity

Post by Amen Corner »

REDSTREAKFAN wrote:
On a side note, I was less than impressed with the crowd at the game tonight...I believe that Chillicothe had nearly 1/2 of the crowd there tonight...

Chilli had a decent crowd but 3 sections on the bottom are Ironton seats.

Ironton has not had a big crowd this year but they had alot more fans than Chilli.

Go Tigers :-D

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

REDSTREAKFAN wrote:hitch...I respect your opinion...but I watched that game tonight, myself, and I wasn't impressed with Ironton. Yes they are quick, and they hung around early on til mid-way 2nd quarter...but I feel I've watched 2 or 3 teams better this year in the SVC...on the other hand, Chillicothe looked like they were going half speed, as well (they look tough! and I'm sure that played a role in it as well)...Ironton should make some 3's....they shot probably 15-20 by halftime, and I only saw them make about 3 or 4...They didn't run an offense; they have no inside game. They are quick at the guard position, but I think Piketon's depth and athleticism will equal out....It is a tough place to play, and I think that will be the deciding factor...I still think the Streaks can get the W.

redsteakfan,

After sleeping on it, I have this game much closer. Ironton lack of an inside game (#50 is strong but more on the boards), will benefit Piketon. I have not seen Piketon since the Hoops Showcase, but the loss to Southeastern had me puzzled.

I do think this will be a well coached game. As for the Tigers not running an offense, I would say our defense had more to do with that then anything. They will run some weave with the guards, go back door, and try and knock down the three. They hit the 3 ball early, but we closed out better in the 3rd qtr.

As for the fans, the gym is deceiving, because the balcony goes so far back, and I am not sure how the sound vibrates. Also, everyone was pretty spread out. Tuesday night games in the SEOAL are terrible (attendance wise), so maybe more show up Saturday.

I do know when you look up at the banners and see District Champ 3 straight years, you have to be impressed.

GO CAVS!!!

ghostwriter
Varsity

Post by ghostwriter »

eagles73 wrote:Piketons schedule says 6 pm. I am heading south. I have never been to Ironton for a bball game. Will stop in portsmouth to eat at the ribber and then digest some food while watching some hoops.

Ironton has the Varsity game scheduled for 7:30PM....

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

ghostwriter, I am assuming it meant JV at 6 pm. I know Piketon has a freshmen team and I read where Irontons is undefeated so is there no freshmen game? I have my plans of stopping at the ribber to eat and then coming on down. Anyone know?

philthyphil
Varsity

Post by philthyphil »

eagles73 wrote:ghostwriter, I am assuming it meant JV at 6 pm. I know Piketon has a freshmen team and I read where Irontons is undefeated so is there no freshmen game? I have my plans of stopping at the ribber to eat and then coming on down. Anyone know?

According to the Ironton High School website, the Freshmen are scheduled to play Piketon on 1/19 at 5 p.m. at home.

Of course, since the Tigers are in a tournament at Coal Grove that Saturday, I wouldn't think that they would play twice in one afternoon.

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

The freshmen is playing twice in one afternoon. Who has Ironton beat and lost to?

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

i know that the freshmen are playing at 220 in the coal grove tourny. The schedule on my fridge doesn't have piketon listed but I'd guess this bunch of guys would welcome the chance to play twice on saturday. I'll ask cows and chickins, when he gets home, if hoppy said anything about it last night.

GO TIGERS!!!

:D :D :D
pleasanttiger
SEO

Post by pleasanttiger »

Sports 101 wrote:The freshmen is playing twice in one afternoon. Who has Ironton beat and lost to?

Ironton freshmen are 11-0. they have played portsmouth,ashland x 2, chillicothe x 2, jackson x 2, gallia, russell, spring valley (wva), and river valley.

:D :D :D
Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

Im sorry i meant to ask what is the varsitys record. Sorry :?

Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Sports 101 wrote:Im sorry i meant to ask what is the varsitys record. Sorry :?

Irontons Wins
Portsmouth 69-58
Gallipolis--- 41-38
Jackson ----63-48
Claymont---60-56
Jackson-----67-34
Athens------83-69

Losses
Ashland, KY----68-65
Wheelersburg--63-52
Chillicothe------74-28
Warren---------46-35
Zanesville------51-25
Chillicothe------66-40
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gotigers
Freshman Team

Post by gotigers »

eagles73 wrote:ghostwriter, I am assuming it meant JV at 6 pm. I know Piketon has a freshmen team and I read where Irontons is undefeated so is there no freshmen game? I have my plans of stopping at the ribber to eat and then coming on down. Anyone know?

Bring some ribs and I'll find out for ya! :lol:

GO TIGERS!!!

GO TIGERS!!!
FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

I edited this post, I went to tonights game, I got mixed up on games but I did make it to tonights, congrats tigers and good luck tomorrow[/quote]
Last edited by FSUfly#13 on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikepike
All State

Post by mikepike »

My secret source for information says that the Streaks will have to play a very good game to beat ironton. He says that Ironton is very quick, and could cause Piketon problems in transition. I hope that the Streaks will try to go inside more often early than they have the past few games. Will be a very good test to see just where they are at this point in the season.

Return to “Boys Basketball”