Southeast District League Rankings

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Southeast District League Rankings

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Just for the fun of it and to get people talking I have taken a look at the various leagues and ranked them. The leagues that I have ranked have at least 1 SED team. I am looking for across -the -board strength of a league - not who has the best 1 or 2 teams. I am willing to throw out the bottom team and sometimes the bottom 2 teams when the league has 10+ members. I have lumped the SHL together since they are required to play each other every year anyway. I am still waiting to find out if Zanesville Rosecrans is a member of the ECOL (possibly could affect rankings)? Obviously, the SEOAL has 3 of the toughest teams in Southern Ohio and is the main reason I have that league #1. I realize the other 3 teams are not powerhouses but am willing to throw out Gallia Academy (bottom team). I have also listed the top teams in each league. If I would have had ties - the SHL and SVC would have tied for #5 and the OVC and MVL would have tied for #7.

Everybody feel free to post your own rankings of the leagues on this thread for the fun of it.

1. SEOAL (Chilly, PHS, Warren)
2. ECOL (Zanesville, New Phily, Coshocton) Bishop Rosecrans???
3. MSL (Bloom Carrol, Logan Elm, Amanda CC)
4. SOC 2 (Valley, Waverly)
5. SHL (Eastern Brown, Peebles, Ripley)
6. SVC (Piketon, Huntington, Unioto)
7. OVC (Chesapeake, Fairland)
8. MVL (John Glenn, Maysville, Tri-Valley)
9. TVC Hocking (Belpre, Southern)
10. SCOL (Hillsboro, WCH)
11. TVC Ohio (Vinton County, Wellston, Athens)
12. SOC 1 (Notre Dame, Eastern Pike, New Boston)

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Re: Southeast District League Rankings

Post by jimmy chipwood »

findout out that Rosecrans is in the ECOL might make me have a tie for #1.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Looks like we will have a #11 vs a #3 up at the Logan sectional ... Athens vs Logan Elm ... Vinton County vs Fairfield Union

Should the TVC teams how up - or is the disparity too great to overcome?

lol

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

The SVC vs TVC-Hocking match-up in the Division III sectional should be cool ...

Belpre vs Zane Trace ... Federal Hocking vs Southeastern

generalwatcher
Waterboy

Post by generalwatcher »

I admit I don't know much about most of the SE leagues, so I can't rank them in full strength. I will say that the ECOL is really strong at top, but their "middle of the pack" teams are capable of biting anyone on a given night as well.

Regarding the MVL, I think the 3 teams mentioned above along with Sheridan, typically are pretty solid..not spectacular. However, this year, most of the league is very young and they show it. The middle of the pack is not very good and the bottom is very bad.

The MSL also has a few dangerous teams as well...behind the 3 mentioned, of course.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Can someone refresh my memory with a list of teams in the ECOL? The reason I ask is because I have a hard time ranking them with the rest of the SE Ohio conferences. I know the initial post said to include all leagues that had at least one team in the SE District, but it's just tough for me to do that with a league that has a school like New Philly which is closer to Canton than Columbus. Which school in that league competes in any of the SE District Tourney brackets (D-2 thru D-4)?

Sorry to be complicated again Jimmy lol

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I feel just having 1 team would make it tough, especially when that team is in Zanesville! lol

Throw out the ecol and your list looks pretty good to me.

The ovc is the tough one in this list, two very good teams in Chesapeak and Fairland and the bottom falls out of the rest. The shl and svc is a tough call as well, very close so of course my affiliation with the svc would have me putting it above the shl! lol

1. SEOAL - I dont think anyone can argue this, unless you want to argue the ecol! lol
2. MSL BUCKEYE- I think the overall depth of this league helps it getting here. LE isnt as strong as in the past, but Amanda is putting together a great season.
3. SOC II - Valley is strong, Waverly has struggled the last few weeks, but teams like Burg and Oak Hills past accomplishments keep them higher in my mind.
4. SVC - No one great team, but 3 good teams with 2 others that are dangerous in SE and ZT.
5. SHL - Same as above, EB, Peebles and Ripley are good, my bias shines through!
6. OVC - Fairland and Chesapeak are only very good, Peak is perhaps the strongest in the SE district, but the others drag them down since we are talking overall. This league only has what 6 teams, so 67% of the league is below the average line IMO of course.
7. MVL - I would have to say my knowledge of this league is not very good, but will go on just what I have read about teams from there on here.
8. SCOL - Hilsboro, Court House, and Greenfield has some decent wins.
9. TVC Hocking - Belpre and Southern are ok, just didnt feel like their schedules matched up better than the SCOL's.
10. TVC Ohio - Vinton, the rest of this league is struggling.
11. SOC I- which I think is unfortunate to put them here. Eastern Pike is good, it's just that this league is made up of all small D IV schools, whereas the others are a mix. I fought against putting them above the TVC Ohio.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Jesco White wrote:Can someone refresh my memory with a list of teams in the ECOL? The reason I ask is because I have a hard time ranking them with the rest of the SE Ohio conferences. I know the initial post said to include all leagues that had at least one team in the SE District, but it's just tough for me to do that with a league that has a school like New Philly which is closer to Canton than Columbus. Which school in that league competes in any of the SE District Tourney brackets (D-2 thru D-4)?

Sorry to be complicated again Jimmy lol
SED #11 Marietta plays in the ECOL now. Zanesville is not Southeast District. The teams in the league in somewhat of an order are:
1. D1 Zanesville
2. D4 Bishop Rosecrans
3. D2 New Phily
4. D3 Coschocton
5. D2 Marietta
6. D2 Dover
7. D2 Cambridge
8. D2 Claymont
9. D2 River View
10. D2 Meadowbrook

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Jesco White makes an excellent point.........only Marietta in the ECOL is a member of the Southeast District........the other schools of the ECOL are members of the East District.........sticking to the topic then, I believe the SEOAL is the best league in the SE District.........Portsmouth, Warren, and Chillicothe are all good teams, while Jackson and Logan are competitive on most nights. Gallia Academy is struggling, but having to play the Trojans, Warriors, and Cavaliers twice doesn't help their record. I know that Logan and Jackson would be very competitive in other SE leagues.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Agree that the ECOL is not a Southeast District League but If we only do pure Southeast District Leagues (where over half of the teams are SED) than we would have to throw out the MVL (2) and MSL (3) also.

I also put this list together to show what kind of schedule Marietta has played this year. Most people dont believe they should be anywhere near #11 in the Southeast District because they only look at win/loss records. An example would be to take teams like Peebles, Piketon, Waverly, Belpre, (top 20 teams) and put them into the ECOL league and see what their records would look like. Ive already mentioned this earlier this year but if you took a team like Logan and put them into the TVC (hocking or Ohio) they would compete for the league title almost every year. But people see their record of (6-13) and say they are terrible. There not terrible in comparison to Southeast District teams - they might be terrible in comparison to other D1 teams for sure but not SED.
Last edited by jimmy chipwood on Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

jimmy chipwood: I agree with your point.......and also, Clinton-Massie of the SCOL is a member of the SW district, while London (SCOL) and Madison Plains (SCOL) are members of the Central District.

Tim Hardaway Jr.
JV Team

Post by Tim Hardaway Jr. »

the ecol is an absolutely superb conference in all sports. Night in and night out you have tough, fought out games with teams from top to bottom. Marietta lost by 2 in double ot at Zanesville tonight. Now if anyone can explain that one to me after the tigers lost by 20 at home to Warren then they are a genius. My point being, the ecol is a top notch conference from top to bottom.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Updated as of today 3-8-12

I base my rankings off of the strength of the whole league. I am willing to drop the bottom team and in leagues with 10+ maybe the bottom 2 teams. The OVC is a tough league to rank because of the inequality of the league. Two teams are at an elite level and the rest (maybe South Point) would not make the SED Top 40 probably.

*Number to the right is amount of teams in SE District.

1. SEOAL (Chilly, PHS, Warren, Jackson, Logan, Gallia) 6
2. ECOL (Zanesville, New Phily, Coshocton, Bishop Rosecrans, Marietta, Dover, Claymont, Cambridge, River View, Meadowbrooke) 1
3. MSL (Bloom Carrol, Logan Elm, Amanda, Circleville, Canal Winchester, Fairfield Union, Teays Valley, Hamilton) 3
4. SOC 2 (Valley, Waverly, South Webster, Minford, Oak Hill, Wheelersburg, Portsmouth West, Northwest) 8
5. SHL (Eastern Brown, Peebles, Ripley, Manchester, Fairfield, North Adams, Lynchburg Clay, Whiteoak, Fayetteville, West Union) 7
6. OVC (Chesapeake, Fairland, South Point, Coal Grove, Rock Hill, River Valley) 6
7. SVC (Piketon, Huntington, Unioto, Southeastern, Zane Trace, Westfall, Paint Valley, Adena) 8
8. MVL (John Glenn, Maysville, Tri-Valley, Sheridan, Philo, New Lexington, Crooksville, West Muskingum, Morgan) 3
9. TVC Ohio (Vinton County, Wellston, Athens, Nelsonville York, Alexander, Meigs)
10. SCOL (Hillsboro, WCH, Miami Trace, Clinton Massie, Madison Plains, Greenfield, London) 4
11. TVC Hocking (Belpre, Southern, Federal Hocking, Wahama, Waterford, South Gallia, Eastern Meigs, Miller, Trimble) 8
12. SOC 1 (Notre Dame, Eastern Pike, New Boston, Symmes Valley, East, Green, Clay, Western) 8

Return to “Boys Basketball”