D4 Sectional South Webster vs. Whiteoak 2-12

waydowntown
Freshman Team

D4 Sectional South Webster vs. Whiteoak 2-12

Post by waydowntown »

Tournament time for the #10 seeded Jeeps. First game is against pretty decent #7 seeded Whiteoak club. This game will be played at Valley High School on Tuesday, Feb. 12 @ 8:00 p.m. This is a second season for both teams, so whatever happened in the regular season is now the past. Webster needs to bring their "A" game and the will to win that they've been carrying along with them lately. Thoughts on this game?

BALLER1
Freshman Team

Post by BALLER1 »

This could be a great game. From what I have been hearing, Whiteoaks coach has been in bad health a good bit of the season. With that, will he be there for the tournament? The JV coach has filled in, but Coach Hines gives them a huge edge, without him, they arent the same team. All "hearsay" but any thoughts on this?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Whiteoak has 8 wins including North Adams at a neutral site.

Whiteoak has the longest current sectional championship streak in the entire 70 teams SE district. (8 straight)

Two of the most successful SE district teams in the tourney over the past several years.

The last SE district team to defeat SW...I think it was Whiteoak back in Nick Aldridge's freshman year with Brett Roberts coaching.

If Hines is coaching that would be great...but Coach Tom Wessner is more than capable of making all the right moves and adjustments......he was the coach when they took down 17-3 North Adams.....and led many of these same kids to a 17-3 JV record a couple of years ago.

Whiteoak would love another shot at Manchester...and possibly atone for the district championship game vs SW two years ago....but they'll have to play well to beat South Webster and no one should be fooled by their record.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Good luck to the Jeeps!

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

Iam going with the JEEPS, GOOD LUCK AN BRING HOME A VICTORY!!!!

webstertown
Waterboy

Post by webstertown »

Im really interested in this matchup.. I cant see a either team being able to dominate each other. Im saying the team with the most points in the paint tonight wins the game

Good luck Jeeps lets go to the Convo for the Sixth Straight Year!!!!

basketballparent
Freshman Team

Post by basketballparent »

Good luck Jeeps!!! Game time in 2 hours!!!!

waydowntown
Freshman Team

Post by waydowntown »

Whiteoak 50
South Webster 40

Very bad night for the Jeeps, and not a well-coached game to say the least. Webster got beat every possession in the beginning when they played man to man defense, and after they switched to zone it was too late. The wrong players were on the floor at the wrong times, and it was all just a mess.They should have never lost to this team, and the heart just wasn't there until late in the second half. They managed to pull together a nice run at the end to bring it within 7, but it just wasn't enough. A horrible shooting night for both teams overall. I guess all I can say is that even though the Jeeps don't get the chance to play for a 6th straight sectional championship, the season isn't over yet. They get one more shot to pick up a win tomorrow night in a make up game against West. Congrats to Whiteoak on the win, and good luck the rest of the way. The Jeeps need to come out with everything they've got tomorrow night and let an entire season's hard work pay off with a win in the final game.

GO JEEPS!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Congrats Whiteoak....I think the 13th straight year with a tourney win.....next up the Manchester Greyhounds for the sectional championship.

Big game from Sr Kurt Yochum, Sr Beau Roler and a good mix of TEAM play by the others. Frosh Joe Michael had 10 points and many big rebounds, Jr Grant Edingfield gave some solid minutes of contribution and Jr Seth Greene provided us with some timely offense.

As for the comment about SW shouldn't have lost this game. I disagree. Whiteoak executed pretty well all night......each team had 23 rebounds....an almost equal number of TO's.

Whiteoak won by a solid 10 (as this was the difference for much of the game) even though they were 10-26 from the free throw line....and started off 4-16 and their top scorer on the year had only 4 points. Whiteoak shooting woefully from the line and a banked in 3 pointer from SW got it down to 7....but it was a 10 point game.

Good Luck in your final game with West!

southernpride
Riding the Bench

Post by southernpride »

Hate to see the season end like this for the seniors. 5 straight district championships, 3 regional championships, and 1 state title in the last 5 years is incredible for a D4 school. Congrats to whiteoak and good luck in the tourney. Jeeps shot very poorly tonight and just looked out of sync. I am not a coach, but in game adjustments were not good tonight. Whiteoak did not hit a shot outside of 10 feet in the whole game, but the jeeps stayed in man to man. If whiteoak shoots free throws like they did tonight, they will not win their next game. I don't know if that was an anomaly or not, but Webster should have fouled much more in the 2nd half.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'm gonna guess they are not a 38% ft shooting team.

Why shoot from outside of 10 feet when you can get layups?

They can beat Manchester.

waydowntown
Freshman Team

Post by waydowntown »

Ironman92 wrote:I'm gonna guess they are not a 38% ft shooting team.

Why shoot from outside of 10 feet when you can get layups?

They can beat Manchester.

I think what southernpride was trying to get at was that a lot of those layups could have been prevented if Webster would have went with a zone. They should have made the Wildcats prove that they could hit the jumper, rather than get beat either off the dribble or off the screen every time. After they finally did go zone, the only points Whiteoak got was off of put backs and from the charity stripe. But like I said, the Jeeps were just not their normal selves tonight, and definitely didn't play like they have been as of late.

But it's all over now, and good luck to the Wildcats the rest of the way. I also think they can beat Manchester, and I hope they go all the way.

In the past 4 years, the 3 teams to beat the Jeeps in tournament play have went on to play in the State Championship game, 2 of those teams (Holgate 2004, Africentric 2005) winning the title & the other (Harvest Prep 2007) coming very close. The other year of those 4 years was that one year when the title went to the JEEPS!
What a year...

GO JEEPS!
GO WILDCATS!

gamer69
Waterboy

Post by gamer69 »

South Webster looked out of sync all night.. I didnt see them winning this one because of there lack of a go to guy...

Good luck to the Seniors of South Webster in whatever they do from here on out.

As for South Webster get a knew coach! Your Coach looks like a Coach who doesnt care about winning at all,

lovevball8
Freshman Team

Post by lovevball8 »

I love how it's always the coaches fault. Give it up. He cares about those kids and he did the best he could with the crew he had. gamer69, why don't you apply, sounds like you THINK you could do better! It was a down year for the jeeps, plain and simple. They could have won a few more games but lacked the work ethic and heart at times, that is not the coaches fault.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

To say the SW didn't care about winning is beyond silly. He was up coaching and passionately into it as much as anyone I've seen.

As for the zone....it looked like to me that Whiteoak was extremely patient and looking for close shots or layups the entire game.

I thought the giving up 2 hail mary layups on the press in 3 attempts was killer....one even had a and 1 included.......and we had a 3rd to a different player but passed to the other side.

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

Congrats to Whiteoak...they will play Manchester next on 2-19.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

gamer69 wrote:South Webster looked out of sync all night.. I didnt see them winning this one because of there lack of a go to guy...

Good luck to the Seniors of South Webster in whatever they do from here on out.

As for South Webster get a knew coach! Your Coach looks like a Coach who doesnt care about winning at all,

you can't say it's the coaches fault. they lost everything to graduation that they had there state title year. then there coach left. they are in a rebuildin period now.

gamer69
Waterboy

Post by gamer69 »

How is the coach doing the best he can??? He sits his best players on the bench for no reason when they've did nothing wrong not in foul trouble and they sure arent winning the game?? No the coach didnt do all he could I CAN guarentee you that if KREISCHER was with this team this year they'd won atleast 4 to 6 more games and would still be playing in the tournament.. A coach just doesnt sit down during the game and spectate the game.. I am a 100% DIE HARD jeep fan and Im telling you this coach will be out of here in 2 more years max!!

And if i could be the coach I would these kids deserve more from the Junior High to the Varsity.. I had more fun watching Coach Cole work his a** off during his game then watch a Coach not Coach his kids to his full potential..And trust me I know there was better Canidates for this Job a poor higher by the school if they want to Continue winning if we are looking for a coach who teaches the kids right and being good and not being vocal leaders and not letting players step up and let others no they arent playing to there full potential then why dont South Webster and Harvest Christian start a league Im disgusted by the Athletic Department.. I have kept my mouth shut all year about this and now that the Season is over I think opinions should be shouted out...

Its not like webster has no talent at all its there its if you can challenge them and get it out of them!!!!!!!!!!

GO JEEPS

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

as i have said before looks like kreischer knew when to hit the road. i am sure his coaching ability would have been worth a few more wins but not too many more. even a state caliber coach can't win consistently without some talent and south webster is not nearly as talented as past teams over the past 10 years or so.

i do think they would do much better record wise if they were in the other half of the soc. how often do they evaluate the enrollment in the soc?

waydowntown
Freshman Team

Post by waydowntown »

I'm not a coach now, but I used to be. I know this is a rebuilding year for Webster, and I've kept that in mind from the very beginning of the season. I agree with gamer69 when they said that Coach Reese basically sits there and spectates the whole game. Granted there are a few times he gets off the bench, but he should be working the sideline the entire game. Coach Cole definitely knows how to...A lot of the players have spoke up and said that they never get a post-game speech or lecture in the locker room, and that's not a good thing. They say it's kind of like, "We did alright. We need to win the next one", and that's it. Not sure what's that about, but it's definitely got to change. You can't just tell your players they good and expect them to get better. You need to inform them of their strengths and weaknesses, so they can work on them to improve overall...I can only hope and pray things will get better in the future, as I'm sure they probably will. If not, i guess it's time for parents to step up and help their kids with basketball if no one else wants to...

GO JEEPS!

Return to “Boys Basketball”