2/29 Greenfield McClain Vs. Vinton County

Who's going to win?

Total votes: 0

ball hound
Freshman Team

2/29 Greenfield McClain Vs. Vinton County

Post by ball hound »

What are everyones thoughts on this one?

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Greenfield McClain Vs. Vinton County

Post by trojandave »

I saw both teams play Friday in the district semifinals. I'm going with GM to win this game because of their defense. Their half court D traditionally is about as tough as it gets in SE Ohio......Coach Van Matre's kids simply get in your face all game long.

I thought that Zollo looked good for the first time I have seen him play, and he will get much better as time goes. Polley did a good job at the point....but other than that I didn't see much offense out of the surrounding cast.

Vinton County played well through 3 quarters, but they almost collapsed in the 4th under WCH's pressure defense......and if they don't handle the ball better vs. McClain, I see trouble for the Vikings. If they take care of the ball, they can beat McClain. If they don't, they won't..........I think McClain wins because of this.

Should be a very competitive game, though. Zollo vs. Guthrie should be an interesting matchup.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

You know its funny. I was on the "other" site, and the same people who said VC would lose to CH are now saying McClain is going to win, and I quote "easily". At what point does this team gain respect? They have 2 losses in the past 2 years to Very, very good teams, and both of those games were close. It seems people outside of the TVC have no idea of the talent VC has. I also saw where people were saying vc didnt win but CH lost. Its funny if CH was so much better then why were they down 17? The better team won and I feel VC is the better team in next weeks matchup as well. The Vikes "d" is completley under the radar to the teams they have been playing and it takes them 2 or 3 quarters to adjust. Its almost as if these teams are surprised VC has the talent they do. So go ahead underestimate the Vikes and after the game you will be saying the same thing CH fans are saying today "man there not that good we just had a bad game", but youll be saying on the way home as the Vikes advance again.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Trojandave...great post. I really agree with about all the points you bring up.

The Zollo kid impressed me and I think it'll be real interesting to see how him and Guthrie match-up up in this one. Zollo is bigger, but Dut is experienced and can really get the most out of position in the post. He also has the heart of a lion.

Because possessions will be so crucial, I'd say, in the end, the turnover stat will tell the tale in this one.

Oughta be a dandy

Keyser_sozeThrice
S

Post by Keyser_sozeThrice »

Ty Webb....I was absent from the Convo on Friday, but I'll be talking to Coach Combs this week for a preview story, most likely to run Thursday. The Messenger will be covering the game again on Friday night.

I already have the two Oak Hill teams still playing next week and any wrestlers which qualify for the state tournament. Plus, my all-district AP team story to write before Tuesday. A lot on my plate next week, but I'll be watching the score updates for the game with McClain.

bitbucket
Freshman Team

Re: 2/29 Greenfield McClain Vs. Vinton County

Post by bitbucket »

Ditto... Trojandave

Salt Water Taffy
Waterboy

Post by Salt Water Taffy »

I think the Vikings came together as a team on Friday against Court House. I expect another big win against McClain.

We're on are way to state in 2008!

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

I was impressed with the big kid from GM. It was obvious he has been to some of the best basketball camps money can buy and paid attention!
He is going to be a great one and will probably be over 7 feet tall before he graduates. He played outside a lot, and can hit the 3. Looks like OSU material!
Greenfield's "D" is their pipeline to success. Ditto with the Vikes since their loss to Huntington, so look for a good defensive battle. As the great Hall-of-fame announcer of the Reds would say, "It's going to be a Titantic struggle!" Marty Brennaman.
Turnovers will be someone's doom in this game.
I think whoever protects the ball best, and hits free throws in this one advances!
I think the Vikes can only benefit from playing a very good Court House team (wow what a press)! Take the positives from that game and build on them and move on, but it won't be easy.

GO VIKES

mhs82
Freshman Team

Post by mhs82 »

Bluegrass: I am one of those who do think McClain will take this game, but does not mean a lack of respect for VC. I have only seen VC one game and just don't think they can handle the pressure D that McClain will bring. McClain will pressure in the half court all game long with the same intensity that WCH did in the full court in the 4th quarter. However, I have only seen VC one time this year - maybe they just relaxed to early because of their big lead and could not bring back the intensity that they are capable of. I have seen WCH many times the past two season and what you saw from them Friday was a bad game - they are much better than that. It seemed to me that they played the entire first half with the jitters. VC had been there before, it was new for WCH.

As for the lack of respect for VC - I love seeing VC do well. A rural school from SE Ohio with a coach who is turning out really good teams year in and year out and with a fan support to rival McClains - what is not to like. Just don't be hating on Greenfield when VanMatre retires and I start the "Bring Matt Combs to Greenfield" campaign. Heck, I think I will start a thread on that now and get the ball rolling early!

Oh, and SOS means nothing. Those who harp on the subject don't know what they are talking about because without a true round robin with everyone playing everyone else, there is no way to say who is better than. Basketball is a game of matchups, that is more important than who your opponent has beaten. Example: Madison Plains beat McClain twice, McClain beat WCH twice, WCH beat Madison Plains twice - who is the better team? It was all about how they matched up.

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

Guthrie too quick and strong for Zollo. VC gets the win.

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

Point guards and Jake Prater are the X factors in this game! 8)

So with that said I'm taking........................................................... :?:

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Salt Water Taffy wrote:We're on are way to state in 2008!

I think one of those fallin timbers must have cracked you in the head. I'm just glad VC will be playing again this Friday. If they loose, Taffy, will it be the coaches fault? :roll:

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

Hey Ty, don't knock fallin timbers, you own a lumber yard even though you don't spend much time there! :mrgreen:

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Judge Smales wrote:Hey Ty, don't knock fallin timbers, you own a lumber yard even though you don't spend much time there! :mrgreen:

I'm not really sure where it is. :shock:

As much as I hate to agree with you Smales, I agree that Jake Prater will play a big role in this one. Really hope Ethan Allen continues his great play too. This kid runs the court like a madman and jumps like a deer.

bman618
Varsity

Post by bman618 »

I'm going with Vinton in the game.

Salt Water Taffy
Waterboy

Post by Salt Water Taffy »

Captain, I can't understand why you have so much resentment.

Whether you want to admit it or not. Changes are coming to VC. Why do you think they got rid of the last AD, and brought in the new little guy. I think his name is Barry Author. And I have heard he is a no nonse guy.

My grammar may not be all that, but my math is.

New AD + Non teaching coaches = Much more competitive athletic programs

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

Salt Water Taffy wrote:Whether you want to admit it or not. Changes are coming to VC. Why do you think they got rid of the last AD, and brought in the new little guy. I think his name is Barry Author. And I have heard he is a no nonse guy.

My grammar may not be all that, but my math is.

New AD + Non teaching coaches = Much more competitive athletic programs

First, the title of this thread is regarding the VC/McClain game Friday night. Perhaps we should stick to the topic at hand rather than digress into an agenda you've seemed determined to establish.

Secondly, the former AD at VC HS left that position for a promotion for the assistant principal job of the new middle school. Your argument there is completely uniformed and idiotic.

Relative to the HS boys or girls basketball coaching jobs at VC.......I'm certain that VC Local Schools has no intentions to get rid of these two gems, unless they get sick of the crap that negative people generate, and leave on their own accord.

You're a few posts into your SEOPS career and you're both misinformed and delusional. And your grammar is a little shoddy too. Boy, I'm glad you're not a teacher.

Army
S

Post by Army »

Good Luck VC :!: :-D

Return to “Boys Basketball”