Top 5 Chillicothe B-ball Players of all time

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Top 5 Chillicothe B-ball Players of all time

Post by O.R.prep »

With the end of Anthony (Humpty) Hitchens high school hoop career soon coming to the end. I thought it would be a great time to get some thoughts on this topic. I know there are allot of names I won't get on here but here it is.

TOP 5
Anthony(Humpty) Hitchens- the best PG to ever play at CHS- Akron-U
Mark Bayless- Played both guard spots but is more of a two gaurd- Played a couple years at Ohio State
Gorden Mickie (spelling)Played at Indiana
Joe Glassgow(spelling) From what I was told a great shooter. College ?
Garin Veris- Was a beast on the boards- Stanford- football

Others
Steve Bayless
Clint Austin
Ryan Brown
Ron Reutinger
Chris Givins- Had to put him on here- the best all around athlete to ever play at CHS
Lee Osbourn-Spelling
Larry Cox
Ray Chambers

I know there are allot more that I am missing. However Caves Fans. Have fun with this. O.R Prep out

Bronc21
All Conference

Re: Top 5 Chillicothe B-ball Players of all time

Post by Bronc21 »

O.R.prep wrote:With the end of Anthony (Humpty) Hitchens high school hoop career soon coming to the end. I thought it would be a great time to get some thoughts on this topic. I know there are allot of names I won't get on here but here it is.

TOP 5
Anthony(Humpty) Hitchens- the best PG to ever play at CHS- Akron-U
Mark Bayless- Played both guard spots but is more of a two gaurd- Played a couple years at Ohio State
Gorden Mickie (spelling)Played at Indiana
Joe Glassgow(spelling) From what I was told a great shooter. College ?
Garin Veris- Was a beast on the boards- Stanford- football

Others
Steve Bayless
Clint Austin
Ryan Brown
Ron Reutinger
Chris Givins- Had to put him on here- the best all around athlete to ever play at CHS
Lee Osbourn-Spelling
Larry Cox
Ray Chambers

I know there are allot more that I am missing. However Caves Fans. Have fun with this. O.R Prep out

givins was the 2nd best all around athlete....no one has even come close to garin veris.....all-american, football,track,and basketball

for the old timers. neil johnston - led NBA in rebounding
i think joe glassco starred at capital u.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

orprep...

Good topic that will be debated for a long time. First, let me say Chris Givens is a top 5 all time athlete in my book, but not #1. I love him to death, but Garin Veris has to be in the Top 2 (I can't go back pre-70's). Garin was not only All-American in Football, but also 1st Team All-State in Basketball, and a State Champion in Track and Field (Shot and Disc were his specialty). Most probably never saw Garin through a fastball, but you would not want to stand in front of him, nor pitch to him.

As for others that rank up with there, I have to add the following as compared to your current list:

Fred Fairrow
Jeff Benson
Mike Fairrow
Beverly Brothers (quite a few of them including Tony "Bones" Beverly)
Gause Brothers (great athlete, not sure which ones on the boards)
Fuzzy Harris

I will think of others.

Also, if you list my man Lee Osborne, then you have to list Jeff Doles off the 80-81 team as well.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

I realy can not say much about this but one that sticks out in my mind from watching a game in the 70's was Mark Bayless for sure.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

hitch
james gause was the rebounder- built like a rock
andrew played guard

O.R.prep
Riding the Bench

Post by O.R.prep »

Bronc/Hitch- Sorry- it is not that I don't respect Garin. I only seen him on the basketball court as a youngster. Just did not know of his other acomplishments ( well football thats a no brainer) But track and field andbaseball I never knew. Like I said I was a youngster.

However I no you guys could add some that was before my time. But what is your thought on the top five. agree or disagree
O.R PREP OUT

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

^^^^^

That team could win a state title for sure. I am going to sleep on it, as the more I think about it, the more names come to me. Also, because the era was so different, ppg, etc do not really stack up. However, the team has to start with Bayless and Mickey and with what Hump has done, he has to be there as well.

Will take another look tomorrow.

Also, O.R., you are aging us old heads, because we can look back. I am going to have to ask hitchbone, sr his opinion. Or better yet, this will be a good barber shop question.

Bronc has me thinking about the Gause boys, and now another name comes to mind. Terry Richardson (Caleb Knights uncle), could sure handle his own as well.

GO CAVS!!! REFUSE TO LOSE!!! TAKE NO PRISONERS!!! 3 DOWN!

Lamont Cranston
Freshman Team

Post by Lamont Cranston »

OR and Hitchbone, here's 5 (no particular order): Hitchens, Bayless, Veris, Mickey, Johnston. Really surprised no one mentioned Neil Johnston before now. And really, there is likely no one left alive that saw him play. But, the next time you are at the Hat', read the accomplishments on his Hall of Fame plaque. Simply amazing...

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

^^^^

LC,

bronc21 picked up Neil in an earlier post. That is why I did not list him as well. By the end of this, maybe we can come up with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd team and then honorable mention.

GO CAVS!!!

sportsnut614
Waterboy

Post by sportsnut614 »

Tod Gallaugher should be added to your long list

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

I was thinking about Todd and also Jim Kerrison (sp) was a very good big man. I also would add the name Eric Harris to the list. I remember Eric putting up one of the highest scoring games in Chilly history.

GO CAVS!!! REFUSE TO LOSE!!! TAKE NO PRISONERS!!! 3 DOWN!

sgraves
Waterboy

Post by sgraves »

I've got one...probably deserving for your consideration.

I think the better history buffs out there would recall the name Wayne "Leroy" Stevens, my cousin. He played at CHS back in the 1950s. He played with Oscar Robertson at Univ. of Cincinnati and was drafted by the old NBA team the Cincinnati Royals. The "Big O" called him the best defender he ever played against...he was also state high jump champion.

He's in the CHS athletic hall of fame.

I know he's old school, but I think he might be the only CHS alum to make it to the NBA, even though his career with the big boys was short.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

sgraves wrote:I've got one...probably deserving for your consideration.

I think the better history buffs out there would recall the name Wayne "Leroy" Stevens, my cousin. He played at CHS back in the 1950s. He played with Oscar Robertson at Univ. of Cincinnati and was drafted by the old NBA team the Cincinnati Royals. The "Big O" called him the best defender he ever played against...he was also state high jump champion.

He's in the CHS athletic hall of fame.

I know he's old school, but I think he might be the only CHS alum to make it to the NBA, even though his career with the big boys was short.

sgraves,

Did he leave right before the 60-61 team. They are considered one of the all-time best teams.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 STATE CHAMPS!!!

pinapplrdhwk
Freshman Team

Post by pinapplrdhwk »

I think the real question should be the best chillicothe players that couldn't stay out of trouble. Dear god i would have loved to see some of the teams chillicothe would have placed on the court if the kids would have stayed out of trouble, and/ or would have had decent coaching for a span of a few years.

Pickle (aka Marcus Washington) would have been a great sight to have seen if Coach K would have been able to get ahold of him, and he would have had some direction with Napoleon Cross and company.

On a side note.... Butch Howard should be in that category, also what about ERIC graves....Sorry my history of CHS basketball doesn't go back that far as I am a youngin to this.

But if we talk about "ALL AROUND" athletes you have to mention kids like:
Butch Howard
Brad Bates
Billy Schmeider
Clint Austin

I could name off about 50 names

beezee420
Freshman Team

Post by beezee420 »

pinappl- i agree, butch should be listed on there as well. he was a great athlete, and could definitely play some ball.

and to add a few more names to your all around athlete category what about, adam porter, marshall upshaw, phil beverly, troy thomas, cj banks, there are others i'm sure but i can't think of names right now.

sgraves
Waterboy

Post by sgraves »

I think Wayne Stevens was in the CHS class of 1954, he played down at UC with Oscar in the very late 1950s, maybe into th 1960 team, but I don't think he was part of that bunch that beat OSU. It's way before my time, but apparently Oscar used to come home with Wayne....pick up games at Poland Park!

I'd also vote for my nephew Eric Graves..(biased...yes). He scored something like 54 points one game. He had some ankle injury problems and I also thought (though I am biased) that they didn't use him much while he was at CHS....it was during the coaching "dark ages" there at CHS.

I really liked Eric Harris when I was a kid, but later Ron Rittenger was a heck of a ball player. That front line went 6'7, 6'8" and 6'6" and included Stevie Bayless and Joey Vest. I think that diffused the attention from Ron, who was very athletic, had a nice midrange game, etc. He went on to Rio Grande, but probably could have gone elsewhere.

I live in Los Angeles now and only got to watch the last couple of Cavs games on-line. That championship game is an all-time classic.

sgraves,

Did he leave right before the 60-61 team. They are considered one of the all-time best teams.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 STATE CHAMPS!!![/quote]

beezee420
Freshman Team

Post by beezee420 »

sgraves wrote:I'd also vote for my nephew Eric Graves..(biased...yes). He scored something like 54 points one game. He had some ankle injury problems and I also thought (though I am biased) that they didn't use him much while he was at CHS

i remember that game. and i think that it was 52 that he scored against Hilliard Darby(may be wrong on the opponent). he was a very good player and did not for some reason get much PT(which could explain why that coach is no longer coaching at CHS). he was a silky smooth lefty with a great outside shot. i really enjoyed watching Eric "Gravytrain" Graves play. he should be added to our list as well.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

beezee420 wrote:
sgraves wrote:I'd also vote for my nephew Eric Graves..(biased...yes). He scored something like 54 points one game. He had some ankle injury problems and I also thought (though I am biased) that they didn't use him much while he was at CHS

i remember that game. and i think that it was 52 that he scored against Hilliard Darby(may be wrong on the opponent). he was a very good player and did not for some reason get much PT(which could explain why that coach is no longer coaching at CHS). he was a silky smooth lefty with a great outside shot. i really enjoyed watching Eric "Gravytrain" Graves play. he should be added to our list as well.

beezee420,

What year did Graves play? I thought the all-time scoring mark was in the 40's. I don't have a program close by, but I must have missed that one.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

im almost positive the record is 44 points

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

bronc21 wrote:im almost positive the record is 44 points

bronc21,

I agree with you...I am still digging for a program. I remember the night when Eric Harris all most broke it. Humpty also had 39 against Grove City when he was a sophmore. I thought he was going to break it that night.

Return to “Boys Basketball”