OSU needs Anthony Hitchens

pinapplrdhwk
Freshman Team

OSU needs Anthony Hitchens

Post by pinapplrdhwk »

I know on the "other site" this discussion is running wild, and because i'm suspended there i brought the discussion here to SEOP.

IMO, after watching Humpty for the longest, and seeing the guard play of OSU this year, i definitely feel like THE Ohio state university needs Humpty at PG next year. For one they need at least 2 good PG's for next year, and I would in a heart beat take Humpty over PJ Hill, and i can't even fathom why ohio state gave PJ Hill a scholarship. I know Crater is coming in for OSU next year and i'm not a genious, but what happens if Crater goes out and tears his ACL i can't bear to think PJ Hill would be at guard for all of next year.

I know Hump verbally committed early to Akron, but until he signs that letter of intent he's still free to do whatever he wants. Thad Matta has to have seen Humpty play and realizes, if there is one dark spot in OSU's team next year it will be the guards. I would love to see humpty in Scarlet and Grey next year. The kid can do it all, and i for one think if OSU were to hand out any more scholly's this year they definitely need to pick up Humpty. They dropped the ball on not getting Dante last year ( PJ Hill over Dante are you serious, dante is now a PG at Xavier), and they will be dropping a huuuuuuuuge ball here if they miss out on Humpty.

just my opinion, but what do you all think??????

brutally honest
Varsity

Re: OSU needs Anthony Hitchens

Post by brutally honest »

The kid can play, that's for sure. There is just one problem: he already signed his LOI to Akron so if he is going to attend OSU he will have to transfer and wait a year.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

hump sealed his own fate when he signed the letter of intent on signing day. patience is a virtue.

Winchell
JV Team

Post by Winchell »

Not sure he could be a difference maker at OSU. I think he can play, by all means. However, when I compare his game to say that of a Drew Lavender, to me, there is no comparison. Before you jump down my throat for this, I said, the kid can play at that level, just don't see him as a difference maker type guard.

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

humpty signed where he wanted to go he had a ton of offers from teams such as butler ohio kent state and took akron he went where he wanted to go that has to be it

TrojanXplosion
S

Post by TrojanXplosion »

I KNOW that this kid could play anywhere he wants. He is a great player and is a great great shooter. He makes good choices when he is out on the floor to. I wish him the best and can't wait to see him play, wherever he goes to school.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I have seen the kid play and he is a very good player no doubt, but he is right where he needs to be. He isn't OSU material, this is my opinion. I think he is a MAC or CUSA player, but nothing more. BTW, Dante is not a PG, he plays the 2 guard.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Anthony will do just fine at Akron.....a school in which he will get a lot of playing time......and the Zips will be in the running for the MAC title, just as they were this year. Good play at the point is critical to any basketball team, and AH will give Akron that. I think he has a chance to be one of the more prominent players in the MAC.

pinapplrdhwk
Freshman Team

Post by pinapplrdhwk »

Dante WAS the backup PG for Xavier this year before he was moved to the 2 guard. To say humpty is a MAC play or CUSA player is ridiculous, it isn't like the Big Ten, PAC 10 and many of the "Major Conferences" are pumping out premier pg's every year.

Michael Scott
Riding the Bench

Post by Michael Scott »

I do think Hitchens could play at OSU, but I don't think OSU was dumb for not offering him a scholarship. He is super quick, his size is obviously the big downsize. Why did Hitchens turn down an offer from Butler, no offense to Akron but Buter is so far ahead of them in terms of programs, I wonder if it was a preferred walk-on status or something of that nature.
When people compare him to Lavender it really is not fair, they are different players. I worry about Hitchens size on defense, he is quicker but the guards are 6'4" and above, you can play zone but he would get pretty exposed in the Big 10. I think he could play at OSU and honestly I would have liked to see it but I just think OSU was too turned off by his size.

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

Michael Scott...the Butler offer was a full ride offer. many wonder why akron over butler, nobody has a real good reason.

i mentioned OSU to humpty a couple weeks ago and he said "they didnt want me before", and i said "you weren't good enough before". really thats the case with humpty's recruitment/commitment. He committed to Akron (suprisingly over Butler), when he was an Akron level recruit. He signed on signing day and therefore was off limits to other programs. THEN he goes out and has a huge improvement junior to senior year, and really takes his game and his stock to another level where there are bigger programs calling only to find out he's already signed. The good thing about this though is if you talk to Hump about it, he's not saying "why did i do that" or "man i wish i would have waited". He's excited about getting to Akron and competing for a starting job.

mhs82
Freshman Team

Post by mhs82 »

Problem with him going to Akron is we won't get to see him much on television. Kinda like to see these local kids go were we can see them. Dante at Xavier is good for me because most of his games are on tv and also Xavier is less than an hour drive for me. IMO, Hitchens could eventually have played anywere. I'm not sure those outside the area knew exactly how good he was until Chilli played some of their marque matchups this year. I will be rooting for him to succeed at Akron (as long at they don't beat my alma mater, OU).

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

When I watched the Greenfield Chilli game last year I sat in the GF section and I asked why wasnt Dante being recruited by OSU? I was told a reason, which I wont say on this forum, but there was a decision and I think both teams got what they wanted. Is Anthony good enough for OSU, you bet, but dshanton said it best, he made a tremendous jump from junior to senior year. Go where you are wanted and are happy with. Some of us forget that this is a 18 year old young man moving out into the world now on his own for the most part and fitting in is just as important in college as playing a sport.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

butler sure gets taken off the dribble alot thought he would be more of a scorer in college like coming out of high school. glad he stayed instate :?

backdoor54
Riding the Bench

Post by backdoor54 »

I think that he could definately play at Ohio State next year, but he fits in great at Akron. The fast pace and full court attacking style suits hitchens perfectly. Akron is an elite program in the state, probably 3rd to Osu and Xaivier over the last 5 or 6 years, and thats in probably one of the top states for basketball in the nation. Butler would have been a bad fit for Hitchens so I think Akron is the perfect level and place for him to thrive.

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

pinapplrdhwk,

I know you have a love affair with this kid, but respect other people opinions. Mada has gone to a national championship, I am pretty sure he knows what he is doing. He is a player no doubt, but you treat him like LeBron James. He will be good where he is at.

brutally honest
Varsity

Post by brutally honest »

Well since the National Tournament is on I felt like posting this. Hitchens- 5' 9" 175 pounds. McGee for Louisville 5' 10" 180 pounds. Not much of a difference there. If McGee could do it I'm sure Anthony could. He made his choice and it is a good fit.

keeping it real
Waterboy

Post by keeping it real »

Right now Anthony Hitchens has not signed a LOI letter for akron at this time.He's only made a verbal to Akron.Anthony will be a good fit for Akron.My question is this why hasn't he signed letter for Akron as of yet? is he still thinking about another school to attend.The other schools that made and offer to Anthony is Butler,Central Michigan,Duquesne,Kent State,Ohio University,Toledo and Western Michigan.

qualified101
SEO

Post by qualified101 »

peake,
if you think he can play in CUSA thats an improvement over the big ten in basketball. bad point. big ten bball is terrible. even perennial powerhouse michigan st didnt have a good showing. hes far to quick for the slow down style of the big ten.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

qualified101 wrote:peake,
if you think he can play in CUSA thats an improvement over the big ten in basketball. bad point. big ten bball is terrible. even perennial powerhouse michigan st didnt have a good showing. hes far to quick for the slow down style of the big ten.

qualified....

you seem to be a Big Ten hater. I agree they were pretty bad this year, but if you look back over the past 5, 10 or 20 years, the Big Ten does fair well. I will always say the Big East and the ACC are tougher conferences top to bottom, but the Big Ten will be fine.

Think about it. If Conley and Cook both stay (as was expected), the Bucks probably win the Big Ten and get to at least the Sweet 16.

I do agree, I think the Big Ten can get to caught up in size and power, but Mich State has athletes who get up and down. This year, it has been proven that it is the Big Four (Final Four bound) and a few others (Texas, Tennessee, Duke, etc).

GO CAVS!!! 2008 STATE CHAMPS!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”