Saw this in the Chillicothe Gazette........

Bobcat Thunder
Freshman Team

Saw this in the Chillicothe Gazette........

Post by Bobcat Thunder »

Three Cavs keep going

For three Cavaliers, it's officially official now.

Anthony Hitchens, Ray Chambers and Stu Beverly went through the paces of a ceremonial signing of their college letters of intent Saturday morning, publicly putting an end to their search for a place to play basketball after spending their senior season at CHS winning a state championship.

For Hitchens - and this was official even before basketball season tipped off - it's Akron. Beverly is headed to Rio Grande, where he will likely redshirt his first season with the Redmen. And for Chambers, it's a ticket to Kansas, where he'll season his game - and earn an associate's degree along the way - for two seasons at Cowley Junior College.

For three Cavs seniors, their careers will continue into college.

"Our main goal with all the kids is to not put them in a situation where they can't be successful," CHS coach Gary Kellough said. "Academics is the biggest part of it, and basketball does play a part in there. Once they leave the high-school world, we want them to be in the best possible position to be successful in the business world."

Beverly scored less than nine points per game during his senior season, but his defense and his shooting ability made him an attractive addition for the NAIA Redmen.

But even after Saturday's ceremony - to be fair, it wasn't really a signing; each real letter was sealed and stamped long before the cake came out at Saturday's get-together - Bevely knew he still has plenty to work on.

And he's already working on it.

"I'm concentrating on my game and on trying to get bigger - as you can see," Beverly said, nodding at a half-eaten piece of off-to-college chocolate cake. "I don't know. I'm just trying to prepare my mind and prepare my body for what's coming for me up there."

"This is a great decision on him and his family's part for him to go to Rio," Kellough said. "It'll be better for Stuart to get his degree, and athletically it's better for him to go somewhere he'll have a chance to play for four years."

Beverly has already been told his first year at Rio will probably be off the court, giving the 6-foot-1 guard a chance to fill out his frame.

"I've known (Rio was the top choice) for three or four months now," Beverly said. "Even though they told me I'd probably be redshirted my first year, the coach also told me they know where they're going to use me and that they need me. Yeah, the basketball team was a big part of my decision.

"But I'm more focused on school, period. I'm not one of these guys that will tell you that I'm going to play in The League or anything, so I'm more focused on getting my academics done. I'm going to get my master's in business and all that."

A year as a redshirt player will give Beverly a comfortable period to break into college life, something built into Chambers' plan for life after Chillicothe at Cowley.

"That's one of the top junior college programs in the country," Kellough said. "He had to be recommended by four Division-I schools just to get there - schools that are going to continue to recruit him while he's in junior college. Plus, their graduation rate is 100 percent, and two years after he gets there he'll leave with an associate's degree, which will be great for him to have in his pocket to get his academics in line."

And to jump-start his post-prep career in basketball.

"It's a two-year school, but if you go in as a mid-major (recruit), you most likely will leave as a major (recruit)," Chambers said. "It's going to be crazy - a lot of work. They're going to make sure my outside game gets worked on and that I become more of a complete player.

"And I'm really going to focus on my schoolwork. I'm going to hit that hard, and get into the weight room. And I'm going to try to get my game to the next level."

Chambers scored a little less than 17 points per game during the regular season, but became a beast in the state tournament, where he scored 27 ppg - including the game-winner in the title round against Toledo Libbey - while pulling in 11.5 rebounds.

As for Hitchens - who led Chillicothe with nearly 22 points per game during the season - he has been locked up as a future Zip for months. A 2-guard for much of the past year and a-half at CHS, Hitchens' role might change once he hits college.

"They have two other small kids, and coach (Keith) Dambrot might use Humpty the most as his point guard," Kellough said of Hitchens. "They like his scoring ability, so I'm sure there will be times when they use him as a 2, but the main focus will be for him to handle the ball."

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Re: Saw this in the Chillicothe Gazette........

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Congrats to all three.

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

Congrats to all three young men....get ready for the best years of your life!

Judge Smales
Freshman Team

Post by Judge Smales »

Congrats to these three young men!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Best wishes to the 3 STATE CHAMPIONS!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”