All-TVC Hocking

eaglefan1
Varsity

All-TVC Hocking

Post by eaglefan1 »

Wanted to see who some of the canidates are and get some people's thoughts. My thoughts are:
Ullman, Belpre (POY)
Nestor, Belpre
Hoffman, Belpre
Leasure, Belpre
Roseberry, Southern
Martin, Southern
Roberts, Southern
Taylor, Southern
Lang, Waterford
Hilverding, Waterford
Shriver, Waterford
Carney, FH
Saylor, FH
Haner, SG
Dan Matney, SG
Lee, Wahama
Oliver, Wahama
Hook, Miller
Carnahan, Eastern
Jones, Trimble

ccccc
Waterboy

Re: All-TVC Hocking

Post by ccccc »

Looks pretty good to me. As far as player of the year, I believe that should go to the best player on the best team. Ullman certainly would be the top candidate now. But theres still a whole lotta of basketball left. By no means do I think belpre has the hocking yet. Belpre has played the toughest schedule out of the hocking teams with fort frye,marietta, and warren twice.

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

I'd vote roseberry player of the year

Hardwood
JV Team

Post by Hardwood »

I think the Hocking only gets 15 total players. The 1st place team gets 3, the 2nd,3rd,4th and 5th place teams get 2 and 6-9 only get 1. So there will be some pretty good players not make it, especially on the well balanced teams.

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

Anyone have any stats on Roseberry and Ullman?

Golfer101
JV Team

Post by Golfer101 »

Ullmam-Belpre
Nestor-Belpre
Hoffman-Belpre
Roseberry-Southern
Roberts-Southern
Matney-South Gallia
Hanner-South Gallia
Lee-Wahama
Oliver-Wahama
Lang-Waterford
Hilverding-Waterford
Saylor-FH
Carnahan-Eastern
Abram-Miller
Jones-Trimble :-D
Roseberry-POY
Thornhill-COY

Super Fresh
Freshman Team

Post by Super Fresh »

Fred G. Sanford wrote:Ullmam-Belpre
Nestor-Belpre
Hoffman-Belpre
Roseberry-Southern
Roberts-Southern
Matney-South Gallia
Hanner-South Gallia
Lee-Wahama
Oliver-Wahama
Lang-Waterford
Hilverding-Waterford
Saylor-FH
Carnahan-Eastern
Abram-Miller
Roseberry-POY
Thornhill-COY
Looks pretty good, but I'd put Carney on the list before Saylor for the Fed Hock vote. I definitely think Roseberry deserves POY.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Grinder wrote:Anyone have any stats on Roseberry and Ullman?
You can what some of their better games were here: http://trivalleyconference.com/Leaderboards.html

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

Fred G. Sanford wrote:Ullmam-Belpre
Nestor-Belpre
Hoffman-Belpre
Roseberry-Southern
Roberts-Southern
Matney-South Gallia
Hanner-South Gallia
Lee-Wahama
Oliver-Wahama
Lang-Waterford
Hilverding-Waterford
Saylor-FH
Carnahan-Eastern
Abram-Miller
Roseberry-POY
Thornhill-COY
The only problem with Roseberry getting POY, is the POY usually goes to the best player on the 1st place team. And at this moment that would have to be Jake Ullman. Not saying Roseberry doesn't deserve it, but if Belpre wins the league, Ullman will probably get POY. Can't argue with Thornhill for COY. I am absolutely amazed at what he's done for Belpre.

BB34
Waterboy

Post by BB34 »

"the POY usually goes to the best player on the 1st place team" Really don't understand this logic. Could somebody explain?

IMO - the POY should go the best player in the league not the best player on the 1st place team. Just because a team finishes their league race in first place does not mean that team has the best player in the league. Whether it be Rosebury or Ullmam, the POY award should go to the best player in that league, period. Please share your thoughts and opinions.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Yea, best player on best team is definitly not the 'norm' when it comes to the TVC!

2009 ... Frost from Alexander was TVC-Ohio P.O.Y - League champ was VC (12-0)
2010 ... Thompson from Fed Hock was TVC-Hocking P.O.Y - League champ was Eastern (10-0)
2011 ... Jack Hart was TVC-Ohio P.O.Y - League champ was VC
2011 ... Noah Guthrie was TVC-Hocking P.O.Y - League champ was Eastern (14-2)

* That pattern re-peats itself over and over again in girls and boys sports and in ALL the sports (football, volleyball, basketball, etc...etc...)

* The only aspect that 'favors' any one athlete is if they are a senior or not ... they don't have to be - but history shows us that most of the time the athlete is in fact a senior.

Here is a list of P.O.Y - with league records ... http://trivalleyconference.com/History.html

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Going off the senior factor playing a role ... I'm guessing a list that would look something like this:

1. Roseberry
2. Lee
3. Haner
4. Roberts
5. Ullman (I think he is too young to actually win the award - but he will definitly get consideration.)

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

If we don't care were the teams finish Carnahan would be at 2 or 3 on my list

ccccc
Waterboy

Post by ccccc »

I don't know season stats I was at both southern belpre games. Rosebury had 11 and 23 with Ullman having 23 and 9. They are seperated by a bucket in two games. What sealed the deal for me was the game at southern. Crunch time with the game in the balance Ullman penetrated at will scoring 7 of his 9 points in the 4th quarter and creating numerous scoring opportunities for his teamates. Rosebury in my opinion had a good scoring game but really could have sealed the game and the victory on his home court. Probably most people did not even notice with belpre clinging to a 1 point lead and trying to inbounds the ball southern had there best athlete(rosebury) on Ullman trying to not let him get the ball. The significance of all of this is rosebury had 4 fouls and southern was denying the inbounds and was gonna foul immediately. Ullman got the ball and was fouled and went down and sank both free throws. That is pretty telling right there. Southern would rather deny ullman the ball by sacrificing there best player and taking there last possesion without there best player on the floor than let ullman have it and go to the line. I can tell you for sure if it was reversed, there is no way belpre would take there last possesion without Ullman.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Super Trooper wrote:If we don't care were the teams finish Carnahan would be at 2 or 3 on my list
It won't matter if the P.O.Y candidates are on the 'best team' or 'league champion' ... But, all the P.O.Y and M.V.P's in the past have come from teams that are in the top half of the standings though ... After the first 10 games, I would have had Max right near the top and in the mix; but with Eastern dropping below even the middle of the pack - I think it will definitly hurt his chances.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

ccccc wrote:I don't know season stats I was at both southern belpre games. Rosebury had 11 and 23 with Ullman having 23 and 9. They are seperated by a bucket in two games. What sealed the deal for me was the game at southern. Crunch time with the game in the balance Ullman penetrated at will scoring 7 of his 9 points in the 4th quarter and creating numerous scoring opportunities for his teamates. Rosebury in my opinion had a good scoring game but really could have sealed the game and the victory on his home court. Probably most people did not even notice with belpre clinging to a 1 point lead and trying to inbounds the ball southern had there best athlete(rosebury) on Ullman trying to not let him get the ball. The significance of all of this is rosebury had 4 fouls and southern was denying the inbounds and was gonna foul immediately. Ullman got the ball and was fouled and went down and sank both free throws. That is pretty telling right there. Southern would rather deny ullman the ball by sacrificing there best player and taking there last possesion without there best player on the floor than let ullman have it and go to the line. I can tell you for sure if it was reversed, there is no way belpre would take there last possesion without Ullman.
The fact that Jake is only a soph will keep him from winning it ... Now, if he were head-and-shoulders above everyone it would be a different story - but like you said "its pretty close."

I've been watching these awards being handed out for over 20 years - and trust me - for it to be handed to a soph, that player would have to be 'off the charts' great and clearly the best player around. Its too easy for a coach to think "well, this kid is really, really good - but he has two more years to win the award. I'll just vote for a senior, especially when its prety close anyways."

Going back to 2008/2009 ... Out of the 12 P.O.Y awards for the Hocking & Ohio, boys and girls, 11 of them went to seniors. (The only exception was Sina King for Waterford, who won it as a junior.)

Super trooper
All State

Post by Super trooper »

Carnahan with 29 tonight

sportsfan_mov
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsfan_mov »

Ullman put up 30 tonight against Miller.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

sportsfan_mov wrote:Ullman put up 30 tonight against Miller.
Was it exactly 30? I need it for the TVC web site - if you happen to know exactly what he scored ... If not, I can probably find it tomorrow.

sportsfan_mov
Riding the Bench

Post by sportsfan_mov »

Yes it was exactly 30. Therriault was next with 14 and Hoffman had 11.

Return to “Boys Basketball”