Waterloo Wonders

Jeep-ster
Freshman Team

Waterloo Wonders

Post by Jeep-ster »

Anyone else catch the show on PBS about Waterloo Wonders? I saw newspaper headlines in the show about the teams they apparently beat on way to the state; New Boston, Sciotoville, South Webster, Green, Wheelersburg. Got me to thinking. Is the a record of this that anyone has? Also, is Symmes Valley basically the descendant of the district? I like history and just wondered.

s.v.vikinglinex2
Varsity

Re: Waterloo Wonders

Post by s.v.vikinglinex2 »

Yes it is part of Symmes Valley. The Trophys are in the High School. You can get the book on-line for around 20.00

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

I read the book a year or so ago. I got it from the portsmouth public library. It was a very detailed account of that team. I also love local history, and anyone else that does should read the book. I missed the show on PBS. Anyone know when it is running again?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Read this story about several years ago and loved it

coachperWHS
Riding the Bench

Post by coachperWHS »

It is a wonderful story.

You might check www.pbs.org for a time in which it will re-broadcast or even go to the pbs store to buy the video.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Frank Wiseman, father of Stewart Wiseman, married my dad's (Hobart Wilson, Sr.) sister. Josie. Frank let the boys use his barn in the off-season to perfect their skills.

When I was in the sixth grade (1946) some of the Wonders played a Gallipolis Independent team in the old Washington gym. They still had some good moves over a decade later in life.

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

Waterloo reunion game from 1961

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

Waterloo reunion game from 1961

vikingguy12
Waterboy

Post by vikingguy12 »

years ago when my wife and i were in college together she was asked by a local couple(paid ) to go to columbus and pick up there mother on the weekends and bring her down to visit and then take her back.. i made the trips with her to make sure she had a safe trip and for company. after the second or third trip we some how got on the subject of lawrence county and low and behold the woman we were picking up was infact megellan hairstons wife!! talk about amazed.. i was awe struck to say the least. i had grown up in the waterloo area and listened to my grandparents talk about growing up with these boyhood legends and watching them play. she told me stories you've never heard of in books and personal accounts of games and travel. all i know is it was an amazing ride on the weekends when we picked her up. she was a wonderful woman to talk to. i too love the history of the state but its even more amazing when you get it straight from the person or persons that lived it.. ill definitely never forget those road trips or the stories she told.. simply amazing.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

There needs to be a movie! Not some lifetime movie, but a movie movie! If you catch my drift!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Found this neat article discussing them for those interested.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

The D
JV Team

Post by The D »

Jottings wrote:Frank Wiseman, father of Stewart Wiseman, married my dad's (Hobart Wilson, Sr.) sister. Josie. Frank let the boys use his barn in the off-season to perfect their skills.

When I was in the sixth grade (1946) some of the Wonders played a Gallipolis Independent team in the old Washington gym. They still had some good moves over a decade later in life.
I know I'm a year late to this conversation, but I too have relation to the Wiseman family, although I do not know the exact relations.

marshallman
Varsity

Post by marshallman »

you need to read this book, I have been to Waterloo and it is a dot in the middle of nowhere. I seen the school before they tore it down too. It is mind blowing how this team played. I spoke to people who witnessed their play and they said the point guard would dribble so fast around his back and between his legs it would leave the defense flat footed. One old guy told me he watched two of them go full court passing the ball behind their backs to each other all the way down the court and the ball never touched the court. all this in the mid 1930s. FYI, Lawrence county, with all their high schools, no school has EVER won a state basketball championship before or since this team!

Return to “Boys Basketball”